PDA

View Full Version : Games seized following murder

wraggster
June 5th, 2006, 19:23
News via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65311)

Notorious anti-videogames campaigner Jack Thompson has been claiming there's a link between games and violence once again after two teenagers were charged with the murder of a 55-year-old man in Louisiana.

According to 2theadvocate.com, the man was beaten to death before being shot in the face. Thompson claims that the teenagers said they killed the man because he refused to lend them his car - and Thompson believes "the same scenario [can be found in] Grand Theft Auto."

"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hitman or a videogamer," he went on, before adding that the "pummeling" of the victim is consistent with what you might see in a violent videogame.

Police have since searched the home of one of the suspects again, seizing several games with a Mature rating - at Thompson's suggestion, according to him. Detective Spence Dilworth said he's not convinced there's a link between the crime and the games, though, stating: "I think it goes beyond videogames, but who's to say?"

The question of whether games can cause players to become violent, Dilworth went on, may be "more of a debate for the living room rather than the courtroom."

Doug Lowenstein - president of the Entertainment Software Association - was keen to play down any suggestion of a link.

"The Entertainment Software Association expresses sincere sympathy to the family of the victim of this senseless crime. But efforts by discredited anti-videogame zealots to blame video games are cynical and misplaced,” he said.

"Violent crime involving kids predates videogames. Common sense tells us that video games do not create killers and that tragedies like this have to do with far more complex issues, from deep-seated psychological problems to a society in which violence and guns permeate the culture, from TV news to child and spousal abuse to war."

rmg060606
June 5th, 2006, 20:02
its a sad story i will admit but i ahve to say i love the part where he says
"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hitman or a videogamer"
:eek:

muffinman
June 5th, 2006, 20:10
i agree ill bring up that quote one day.

rmg060606
June 5th, 2006, 20:15
i was thinking of making that saying my sig lol

masonman
June 5th, 2006, 20:50
what a douchebag! that is why it is harder to get mature games these days. gta is merely a scapegoat in a futile attempt to get away with murder.

gtgpeople
June 5th, 2006, 20:59
i agree with masonman they have been using gta as a scapegoat. who in there right mind will do something like that. i bet the kids were trying to get some attention but looks like they got too much.

gotmilk0112
June 5th, 2006, 21:00
sigh.... its always that way they say: "oh he has a mature rated video game in his house so the videogame made him kill someone" :mad:

-.-

DenofLions
June 5th, 2006, 21:02
Haha I laugh at the futile attempts to blame videogames for violence. Its a sad thing, someone getting pointlessly killed. But to use that as ammo in their anti-videogame rants is just more evidence on how stupid these people are. Gta dosen't create killers, bad parenting and our warped society does. If playing Gta makes you want to kill... then put the controller down and we'll call the men in white coats for you.

luis_05
June 5th, 2006, 21:18
I agree with everyone. by their same logic, why arent fast food restaurants blamed for making ppl fat? Cuz its not their fault!!!! neither the videogame industry!!! it is the individual who is responsible for their own actions.

By the way how come i always punch my wall when im done playing baseball stars 2? is there something wrong w/ me?

rmg060606
June 5th, 2006, 21:21
lol video games can get you pissed off i was playing a tony hawks game and i chucked a controller across the room but ive never been so mad that i got a gun and shot someone in the face thats ridiculous. DAMN YOU BOB BURNIQUIST !!! LoL

Hawq
June 5th, 2006, 21:30
But games do make you out & kill, look at my massive bodycount of uh..... 0

Kaiser
June 5th, 2006, 21:33
LOL Jack Thompson

emuking
June 5th, 2006, 22:30
jack thompson needs to get laid what the hell is his job description seriously

F9zDark
June 6th, 2006, 00:08
And in actuality, violent crime among teens has gone down since videogames became popular.

PC Gamer magazine wrote a 4 page article on the subject, with graphs found on the US Justice Department's website.

Since that early 80s when games started coming out, until the present, violent crimes among teens has reduced dramatically over the years. Why is that? Well videogames give people things to do.

There is a reason why the saying, "Idle hands do the work of the devil." holds so much weight...

SSaxdude
June 6th, 2006, 00:28
Maybe the reason is because Louisiana has the highest death rate in America? What a novel concept, Jack Thomson.

PS: gotmilk0112, your sig is almost the same as mine (upgrading to 2.7 or 2.71 is bricking your PSP in terms of homebrew)

Video_freak
June 6th, 2006, 00:42
i was thinking of making that saying my sig lol

thats a good idea :)

does this guy actually hear himself before he makes such a stupid comment?

Shilo
June 6th, 2006, 01:05
Has anyone noticed that back in the 70s and 80s people said music was making people do bad things (stealing, killing, ect.), but now video games are being blammed :confused:

BTW I hate Jack Tompson. Plety of people who are not gamers or hitmen have shot people in the face.

gamerremag
June 6th, 2006, 02:12
ha, just another one of those dumb @$$ people blaming video games. my sister got pregnant because of a guy somewhere. he must have got it from San Andres (didnt know how to spell it, if right :), if wrong:mad) lol.

rmg060606
June 6th, 2006, 03:13
lol that guy was me just kidding

dman32
June 6th, 2006, 05:16
OMG!!! has this man not seen Friday 13, Nightmare on elm street...the bad boys movie with sean penn where he's in prison and beats someone with pillow case full of pepsi's...I mean there are sooo many examples of over the top violence waay before GTA.

rmg060606
June 6th, 2006, 09:26
Lol whats the movie with sean penn and the pillow case full of pepsi i want to go out and by that asap please tell me the name

Forever~Zero
June 6th, 2006, 12:37
Ok what the hell? I agree with everyone here. I play a bunch of games and i am still not arrested. I have killed no one. So what the hell does this guy have against video games.

MikeDX
June 6th, 2006, 14:55
Lol whats the movie with sean penn and the pillow case full of pepsi i want to go out and by that asap please tell me the name

It's called BAD BOYS, and i think somebody gets a screwdriver in their neck too.

rmg060606
June 6th, 2006, 18:27
lol awesome

Basil Zero
June 6th, 2006, 21:08
This is sad story to start with, its even sadder, considering that hypocrite lawyer is STILL blaming video games for violence.

Just you wait eventually someone will make a video game based on hurricanes or tsunamis, and you just wait, Jack Thompson will be saying its BECAUSE OF VIDEO GAMES, these DISASTERS ARE HAPPENING!

lol

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2006, 04:10
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/pa_jack.jpg

Everyone, including his own mother, hates Jack Thompson.

Virtually every living creature hates Jack Thompson, professional scold and slavering ambulance chaser. Squirrels, policemen, sea captains, fruit bats, aeronautical engineers, milliners, zookeepers, bakers, and pharaohs all hate Jack Thompson.

Black t-shirt in 100% heavyweight cotton with "I Hate Jack Thompson" printed in white and red on the front. Red Penny Arcade Logo adorns the back.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/gaming/7a15/

F9zDark
June 7th, 2006, 04:25
He was probably emotionally scarred when he was in college and couldn't beat Pong on Atari. So now he takes his anger out on all games.

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2006, 17:06
He was probably emotionally scarred when he was in college and couldn't beat Pong on Atari. So now he takes his anger out on all games.

William Shatner: "KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!"

Jack Thompson: "POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!"

Tron_Fan
June 9th, 2006, 17:37
One has to wonder if his crusade extends to other forms of media cruelty like "Oprah" or "American Idol".

yoshiherder
June 27th, 2006, 02:10
i dunno why thompson's spending all his time trying to get game violence banned. maybe he got killed one too many times on time splitters or something, eh?