PDA

View Full Version : My new On-line portfolio

rmedtx
November 9th, 2009, 18:08
Guys,

Here is a link to my new space on the web I made using Flash. Please check it out and let me know what you think about it.

http://www.eduardosartspace.com/

Thanks
rmedtx

beetroot bertie
November 9th, 2009, 19:33
Nice work Eduardo,

I particularly like the character and sprite work :)

If I could make a (hopefully) constructive criticism I would say that the background (with the planet, sunrise and wavy chrome filter overlay layer) is too distracting. I think it makes the site look dated (to my eyes at least). I like your logo and the grey header section looks nice and stylish but would probably prefer something cleaner and more minimal underneath it, perhaps with the use of just one additional bright colour to go with the greys to provide a sense of identity.

The portfolio looks like it's going to be quite extensive too. I enjoyed looking through it but I couldn't tell how many samples there were to click through, so perhaps a counter showing what number sample you're looking at and the total number would be cool so you can see how much more there is to come. ie "Sample 5 of 24", "5/24" etc.

I hope that helps in some way :)

rmedtx
November 10th, 2009, 01:10
Thanks for your feedback beetroot bertie,

You're right the background is busy, I updated the site using a less noisy image. About the counter... I think is an awesome idea. But I don't think I can do that yet. I'm new to Flash; This is the second project I work on. But as soon as I know how to create the counter I will for sure include it.

;)

Eviltaco64
November 10th, 2009, 01:23
You've made some nice technical illustrations, rmedtx!

The sprites and company/tv show logos look great as well. :)

beetroot bertie
November 10th, 2009, 09:35
About the counter... I think is an awesome idea. But I don't think I can do that yet. I'm new to Flash; This is the second project I work on. But as soon as I know how to create the counter I will for sure include it.

I don't know as much about flash as I'd like to myself, but if your portfolio section is loading in external image files for each job sample, couldn't you just add the number to each image, maybe below or above the description? I guess it's a pain if you wish to reorder them though as you'll have to edit each image slide number appropriately :(

Or if each job sample (I'm guessing so this may be irrelevant) is on a unique frame in the flash timeline, you could just add some text as the counter that you manually change each keyframe. Once done then it doesn't matter if you swap the images around as the counter number is just set up to float in the right place over whatever image is loaded.

My apologies if all that is useless.

rmedtx
November 10th, 2009, 17:56
You've made some nice technical illustrations, rmedtx!

The sprites and company/tv show logos look great as well. :)

Thanks Eviltaco64!

rmedtx
November 10th, 2009, 18:01
I don't know as much about flash as I'd like to myself, but if your portfolio section is loading in external image files for each job sample, couldn't you just add the number to each image, maybe below or above the description? I guess it's a pain if you wish to reorder them though as you'll have to edit each image slide number appropriately :(

Or if each job sample (I'm guessing so this may be irrelevant) is on a unique frame in the flash timeline, you could just add some text as the counter that you manually change each keyframe. Once done then it doesn't matter if you swap the images around as the counter number is just set up to float in the right place over whatever image is loaded.

Not useless at all beetroot bertie, these are great ideas. I'm trying to learn more flash ActionScript. I hope I will be able to ad a counter for the site. If not. I will probably use one of your ideas. Do you have a website of your work? ;)

rmedtx
November 11th, 2009, 18:37

Hi again beetroot bertie ,

I found out how to put a counter on the page as you suggested. It was really simple. I created a dynamic text box (counter_txt) and I used this line of code:

counter_txt.text = imageNumber+"/29";

where imageNumber was the variable I used to load the images.

Thanks again for your feedback. :thumbup:

beetroot bertie
November 11th, 2009, 20:21
Nice one. I'm glad you found a way to do it :D

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you use a variable to load the images? Is that a simple piece of script used with the arrow buttons?

rmedtx
November 11th, 2009, 21:26
Thanks bertie,

It's script that interacts with a UIloader depending on the button you click... I can send you the code for that section if you want.

beetroot bertie
November 12th, 2009, 09:33
No need at the mo, but thanks for the offer. If I need something like that in the future, I might bug you though :D

rmedtx
November 12th, 2009, 16:11
Sure bertie, any time. ;)

Lauryn
January 13th, 2012, 15:25
Nice! I like your portofolio, especially your logos and tee_shirts!
Just one more thing...it might be that the initial background was too distracting, but no background at all? I'm left with the impression that you're still working on the website. Are you?:p