PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast: S-Video

dc.hack
June 6th, 2006, 04:31
I know you can get a S-Video cable for the DC, but I think it would be more fun to build a circuit myself. Can anyone help? Maybe make a schematic (sp?)?

Thanks.

ron
June 7th, 2006, 17:48
Use a VGA BOX adapter, most of them brings Svideo Out. Or use a RGB connector and extract it from.

Cheers

ptr.exe
June 12th, 2006, 17:24
There is no circuit needed, the DC outputs S-Video. You may need to use some capacitors however.

You can find the pinout here. (http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:dreamcastav) Just google for a S-Video connector pinout and then solder the appropriate leads. You could add a S-Video port to the DC.

:)

sixtyten
June 14th, 2006, 01:16
Ah, that's interesting. I didn't even think of putting S-video on a Dreamcast. Ptr, would you say it would be easier to do an S-Video mod or a VGA mod? I still haven't done the VGA mod :p got a little sidetracked with other things.

ptr.exe
June 14th, 2006, 17:00
Adding S-Video is easier as it would only be two or three components, but it would still involve soldering to the AV connector of the DC.

The VGA is damn simple anyway - do both :p

sixtyten
June 14th, 2006, 22:09
Alright Ptr, one more question, as I've been researching this, and it seems as it would be a great idea for me to do, seeing as I've got an HDTV in the living room, and the TV tuner for Mac I'm getting has S-Video input. I can't find the stand alone plugs, like just plugs. So say that I bought an S-Video cable with a the proper female plug, and the same for RCA cables for the audio. Could I cut the cord away and then wire them properly to the Dreamcast, or do I need to find just straight brand new plugs?

ptr.exe
June 15th, 2006, 17:56
Yeah, a cable would work the same.

You can't find an S-Video socket? I know Maplins in the UK sell them, I don't know the US equivalent, is it RadioShack?

sixtyten
June 15th, 2006, 18:00
Yeah, a wire would work the same.

You can't find an S-Video socket? I know Maplins in the UK sell them, I don't know the US equivalent, is it RadioShack?
Radioshack is really garbage, at least the one in my town is. I remember going in when I was doing the LED mod and asking for help to find the proper LED, and no one there had any idea. They said they didn't have any. I had to scrounge around their stuff for about half an hour until I found the proper LED, and a ton of them at that. I know Radioshack has headphone jacks, but, I've never seen anything more than that at one of them. So instead of going into that hell hole, I'd rather just pay a few bucks extra and get a cord off of ebay and chop it up.

dc.hack
June 15th, 2006, 21:12
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103584&cp=2032058.2032231&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032231&categoryId=2032231&kwCatId=2032058&kw=s-video&parentPage=search

Is that what I need to put a jack on the back of my dc? Is that even a jack?

dc.hack
June 15th, 2006, 21:13
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103584&cp=2032058.2032231&cp=2032058&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032231&categoryId=2032231&kwCatId=2032058&kw=s-video&parentPage=search

Is that a jack??? I can't tell :D

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't think it went through the first time...

pkmaximum
June 16th, 2006, 05:47
Wait if there is a S-Video for the Dream Cast does that mean that I can use the Dream Cast S-Video Cord to hook it up to my computer that also has an S-Video slot and play the dream Cast on that. Because that would be something interesting to try out ^_^ the only downside there though is that there would be no sound.

dc.hack
June 16th, 2006, 07:19
I think if it was forced the S-Video cable would carry both sound and picture... Normally on most devices it carries only video, but some carry both.

semicolo
June 21st, 2006, 18:22
yes you can pkmaximum, if it's a video input.

I don't think you can send sound on a svhs cable (well at least you can't send svideo + sound but you could send composite video + sound)

ptr.exe
June 26th, 2006, 22:49
pkmaximum, are you sure thats an input? Nearly all graphics cards have an s-video output, and very few TV-cards have an s-video input.

Sounds much more likely that's the s-video output of your graphics card. Pluggin the DC into that could kill your graphics card.

semicolo
June 28th, 2006, 13:41
... or the dreamcast