PDA

View Full Version : Wii: Microphone, VoIP, phonebook?

scorpei
June 6th, 2006, 15:57
News from SuccessHK (http://www.success-hk.com/affiliatewiz/aw.asp?B=112&A=50&Task=Click)

[Wii] Nintendo Surprises Keep Coming
The Nintendo controller will feature a microphone and will store a user phonebook/address book while it will be used as a VoIP phone and will help gamers communicate while online without the need for a headset. All this comes thanks to a few Nintendo patents unveiled by revolution which demonstrate exactly how the microphone will be implemented.

Nintendo's controller surprises keep coming in and as the details are revealed so is an underlying theme to the company's plan for the device. The new details mention a microphone built-in to the headset which will allow the controller to be used as a straight-forward VoIP phone. The news also mentions that users will be able to use the phone for video calls although it does not clarify exactly how a camera will come into play in the setup. The interesting news however, relates to the phone/address book details which will be stored on the controller suggesting that Nintendo expects each user of the Wii in the household to own their own Wiimote.

The inclusion of a microphone built-into the controller, along with the speaker announced at E3, will also offer gamers more freedom during online play as they will be able to communicate with fellow gamers without the need for a headset. This makes sense as most images we have of people playing with the infamous device, show them standing up and at some distance from the console.

Adrenalin
June 7th, 2006, 00:10
this is like the exact wording of an old rumor -_^ ..... personally i think some of this may be bull. i'd like to see the patents, and i'd like to see how the patents show people that that they can use "the phone for video calls".

unless i see some patents, i'm taking this as someone getting confused over an old rumor.

emuking
June 7th, 2006, 01:12
dude this will happen chill out, wii will have a shit load of things i would like to see in xbox live

the one and only
June 7th, 2006, 01:19
hmmm is adreneline a ps3 fanboy?

fackue
June 7th, 2006, 01:25
I wonder if VoIP means just VoIP over games or if they'll have a phone service subscription too...?

Adrenalin
June 7th, 2006, 02:05
hmmm is adreneline a ps3 fanboy?

sorry if my post sounded that way, i'm actually a wii fanboy no matter what... but its just part of this sounded wrong to me.. whether it is or not....

I SERIOUSLY doubt that u could make video calls with wiimote. now that sounds like something sony would do.
remember, nintendo is about the gaming... sony is about the "entertainment system".

i may be completely wrong, but i hope that clears things up

barita_lola
August 12th, 2007, 09:59
Well friend as long as I know This is still just a concept demo, but it is a working demo: DSpeak is basically Voice over IP calling using the wireless capabilities of the Nintendo DS. Using a connected headphone/microphone, DSpeak allows you to hold conversations with other DS users via WiFi, and the audio quality is reportedly "perfectly fine, as good as a mobile phone.

ganondorf
August 12th, 2007, 16:41
I agree with Adrenalin on this one. Maybe in the future nintendo will impliment this but not wright now.

VampDude
August 12th, 2007, 18:48
A microphone seems naff, unless they plan on releasing speaking games similar to the style of "Hey You Pikachu"

Dee-Lite
August 13th, 2007, 12:00
sorry if my post sounded that way, i'm actually a wii fanboy no matter what... but its just part of this sounded wrong to me.. whether it is or not....

I SERIOUSLY doubt that u could make video calls with wiimote. now that sounds like something sony would do.
remember, nintendo is about the gaming... sony is about the "entertainment system".

i may be completely wrong, but i hope that clears things up

Ignore him mate - I don't think your a ps3 fanboy - the guys just got nothing better to contibute so decided to hit on you - you don't have to answer to him.

Dee