PDA

View Full Version : SegaCD/32X:Why not port Gens?

PsychoSync
June 6th, 2006, 19:58
Why not port Gens?

I know porting a SegaCD or 32X emulator has already been thought of. I know it would be hard to emulate on PSP (lots of chips to emulate...)

But why not give a try to the best Genesis/SegaCD/32X emulator for PC? That would at least make another working Genesis emu and on top of that a 32X and SegaCD emu that will probably be slow as hell but its a start!

Gens

http://gens.consolemul.com/download/gens-win32-src-2.14.zip

yaustar
June 6th, 2006, 20:50
Isn't DGens a Gens port?

PsychoSync
June 7th, 2006, 14:42
No its not. Its "A port of DGen/SDL v1.23" (from the readme)

DGEN and Gens are different emulators.

yaustar
June 7th, 2006, 20:38
Ahh.. so it is.. my bad.

Sonict
June 7th, 2006, 22:09
I don't think you will be able to port Gens over to PSP because the emulator is using "Assembly language" which only works on x86's. The code is not portable, so this wouldn't work.

Regards,

Sonict

Kaiser
June 9th, 2006, 03:31
I don't think you will be able to port Gens over to PSP because the emulator is using "Assembly language" which only works on x86's. The code is not portable, so this wouldn't work.

Regards,

Sonict

Its portable it would just be a bitch to do so. Too bad though, Gens is a pretty sweet emulator.

PsychoSync
June 9th, 2006, 05:09
Well Kaiser, at least you give a little hope, thank you!

Cap'n 1time
June 9th, 2006, 05:58

Regards,

Sonict

I think your right. enter ZSNES. Anyway the Xbox (due to the fact that its really just an x86 machine) saw a gens port and is just now seeing a ZSNES port. There is really no hope for these on the PSP though.

pspcross
June 12th, 2006, 17:07
i use kega fusion for sega cd on pc.

i was using gens 2.11 but this seems to work better
with sega cd stuff

anyone know if this would be any good too port

or would it be too difficult.

what does it actually mean that something is based on something else ???

is alot of the code easy to copy etc ??

i know nothing about C++ or programing in general
so this may sound stupid

any ideas???

PsychoSync
June 13th, 2006, 01:45
I don't think that Kega fusion is open source...

I wonder how much of Gens is in ASM, its stated on their sourceforge page that Gens is written in Assembly and C++. C++ can be ported to PSP so if its like half ASM, half C++, then it gives some hope about it being portable. Damn, Gens is like the king of Genesis/32X/CD emus!

But i understand fully that coding this kind of thing is hard work.

pspcross
June 13th, 2006, 18:08
is this source code ???

i really don't know.

doesn't mean much to me.

anyone???

http://www.vtemulation.net/emulators/genesis.php

yaustar
June 13th, 2006, 20:27
The link has no direct links to any source code. However Genesis Plus (which was linked on that page) does have public source code.

I don't think that Kega fusion is open source...

I wonder how much of Gens is in ASM, its stated on their sourceforge page that Gens is written in Assembly and C++. C++ can be ported to PSP so if its like half ASM, half C++, then it gives some hope about it being portable. Damn, Gens is like the king of Genesis/32X/CD emus!

But i understand fully that coding this kind of thing is hard work.

The 'half' ASM is a lot to port and requires a high level of understanding of the emulator, the emulator's target machine, the original platform that the emulator runs on and the target platform that you want to port to. Something like 5-10% is probably doable though.

Zion
June 13th, 2006, 21:13
No point. :p
Dgens more than good enough! :D

PsychoSync
June 16th, 2006, 00:19
Dgen may be good but it doesn't emulate anything else than the Genesis.