PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer launches Wii channel

wraggster
November 13th, 2009, 14:55
The BBC iPlayer is relaunching on the Nintendo Wii in the form of a dedicated Wii channel on 18 November.
Only consoles with a broadband connection in the UK will be able to run the channel.
To get the service, Wii owners will be able to download it from the console's online shop for free.
The BBC iPlayer has been on the Wii since April 2008 but many console owners reported problems with the original interface.
The iPlayer is also available on Sony's PlayStation 3 console.
The BBC is not the only broadcaster to experience difficulties with bringing its catch-up service to games consoles.
Sky launched the Sky Player on the Xbox 360 in October but Microsoft temporarily suspended the service almost straightaway due to "unprecedented levels of simultaneous demand".
Erik Huggers, direct of Future Media and Technology at the BBC, said that the evolved Wii service was an improvement on the old BBC iPlayer system, describing it as a "faster, high quality and improved viewing experience".
According to research company Chart Track GfK there are almost six million Wii consoles in British homes.
The catch-up radio and television service is also launching in trial, or beta, form on the Freesat TV platform later in November.
British broadcaster Channel 4 has concentrated on making its on-demand service 4OD more accessible on the internet.
In October it announced that it would be showing entire programmes free of charge on YouTube.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8357777.stm

VampDude
November 13th, 2009, 19:02
I read this earlier, the iPlayer really needs to be improved for the Wii which a channel is the way to go.

I just hope Channel 4 and five take note of what the BBC are doing, because really their interests should be within the gaming community as there is a games console in many homes that has internet connection and is connected to the main television within their households.

Though really, there is no need for catchup services for people like myself who have multiple hard drive recorders setup to record just about anything as a series (since I forget things are on).