PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus n64 for PSP "Source updated"

mameuser
June 7th, 2006, 11:13
To who want to try it.
Source code http://daedalus-n64.cvs.sourceforge.net/daedalus-n64/

Earlier this evening I updated the project CVS repository with the latest version of the code. Normally I only do this when I release a new build, but I know people have been playing with the code and have expressed an interest in seeing the latest developments.

I'm not quite ready to release a new binary yet (still a few more optimisations I want to make and various bugs to fix first), but I'll try and do this within the coming week.

Incidentally, updating the source normally only takes 20 minutes or so, but it took a good couple of hours tonight. Sourceforge updated their CVS service recently (May 12th) and as a result I had to spend a couple of hours updating WinCVS, generating new SSH keys and the like. Hopefully it won't be so painful next time around, or I might just lose the will to live.

As a more general update, I cleared a couple of things from my TODO list sorted this weekend. I'm caching floating point registers for most of the single-precision Cop1 instructions, which are now implemented directly in the dynarec code. I've not timed this in depth yet, but it's shaving 10-20ms/frame off the intro to Mario 64 (Mario's Head), which is particularly FPU heavy (i.e. I'm getting ~160ms/frame rather than ~180ms)

Finally I need to have a good think about how to go about optimising the double-precision floating point performance. As the PSP doesn't have hardware support for double precision floating point this is currently very expensive (i.e. adding 2 doubles on the n64 takes just one instruction - on the psp this balloons to several hundred as it all has to be done in software).

Currently I cheat and cast all the double-precision floats to single-precision values before performing the calculations. Although this is much faster it obviously loses a lot of precision, so I need to be careful it's not going to break any roms. Also even the float->double/double->float conversions are pretty expensive so it's still not an ideal solution. Fortunately not many roms seem to use double-precision maths extensively (presumably because it was relatively expensive on the n64), and where they do use it they don't seem to be too sensitive to the fact that I'm throwing most of their mantissa away :)

From http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/

Video_freak
June 7th, 2006, 16:20
thanks for the update. it seemed like n64 emulation was starting to quite down...

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2006, 16:27
PLEASE! dont let 1000 kids come in here asking how to compile this and use CVS....

Nafogel
June 7th, 2006, 16:57
That is awesome, I cant wait, if only I knew how to code, i only know basic programming right now, otherwise i'd be all over that source...

Moning2
June 7th, 2006, 17:28
i dont ask how to compile this, i just ask if someone could do that for me since i can't :D :p ;)

so... could someone compile this ? (for me :( )

GeEkPiE
June 7th, 2006, 17:29
how long do you reckon before you will be able to get release R5 out.

in weeks if possible.

gr42178
June 7th, 2006, 17:35
PLEASE! dont let 1000 kids come in here asking how to compile this and use CVS....

So how do you compile this and use CVS? HAHA just kidding, keep up the nice work!

Kramer
June 7th, 2006, 17:38
how long do you reckon before you will be able to get release R5 out.

in weeks if possible.
<!-- / message -->

r5 should be coming out in a few days
StrmnNrmn said he wants to release it by the end of the week

Harshboy
June 7th, 2006, 19:11
Well, i dont know any coding, so i cant use this. But i cant wait for r5. Great job StrmnNrmn!

mr_nick666
June 7th, 2006, 19:16
<!-- / message -->

r5 should be coming out in a few days
StrmnNrmn said he wants to release it by the end of the week

Excitement is building......! :D Cant wait to have a play with the new release.... :)

benn
June 7th, 2006, 19:24
dude i dont really understand what the hell you meant other than
"dont worry kids, i am working on it and although things are taking a little longer than expected, it is going to be worth it."
if that was really what you meant then sweet bro and you got my vote. wish i could help. please dont let this die like the PS1 emu :(

rehbock
June 7th, 2006, 19:31
daedalus won in race between psx emulator(homebrew) and n64 emulator on psp longtime ago.

crowba
June 7th, 2006, 19:44
anyone can provide a build of this, im to lazy to install the sdk

gunntims0103
June 7th, 2006, 20:23
great stuff cant wait for the upcoming release

Briggzy11
June 7th, 2006, 21:09
Yeh same here this is what we have all waited for for so long now. Im still wondering how the C buttons are going to be implimented into this emulator. Im sure there'll be a way to put this into the code.

Shilo
June 7th, 2006, 21:35
Looks like R5 is gona be out just in time for my summer vacation (last day of school is Friday :cool:).

Cooe14
June 7th, 2006, 22:02
Looks like R5 is gona be out just in time for my summer vacation (last day of school is Friday :cool:).
School got out today (wednesday). I hope to be playing portable N64 all summer.

acn010
June 7th, 2006, 22:28
cant wait for it!
oh well, its coming, ill have to wait (can't sleep)
:(

samthegreat68
June 7th, 2006, 22:57
dang i still got another week, so I'll be playing N64 during finals then. i sure hope this emu dosnt die out. it has probally been the most antisipated of any homebrew for PSP.

nmkrapper
June 7th, 2006, 23:29
that's right.
A working N64 emu is something that everyone is waiting for.
I actually bought a PSP for Snes/gba/N64 emulation.
Nothing else!
Daedalus please keep up, never stop this excellent project !

Video_freak
June 7th, 2006, 23:50
i too bought my psp more for homebrew than commercial games. i was so pissed when i got my psp and it said 1.51 :mad: there was tha 2.00 downgrader so its all good...

i still have one week of school after this week....:(

felonyr301
June 8th, 2006, 00:13
same here man they get gba and n64 running up to speeds with the snes ME version mind you lol im set and probably wont get bored for a loooooooong time....zelda here i come lol...

snkrock25
June 8th, 2006, 00:14
your sig scares me.:(

sroon
June 8th, 2006, 01:18
Whaaaat!
I still have two weeks before my exams!!
well anywho ..... This emu is prolly gonna make a HUGE impact on handheld gaming!!
and also I was playing Earthworm Jim on R4 and it was going about 7-10 fps, I wonder if it is perfect now with the Recomplier Finished!
Great job Strmnrmn!

gsyph0
June 8th, 2006, 02:21
Haha I feel sorry for you mothers
<BR>
I've been out of school for 2 weeks now HAHAHAHAHAHAH<BR>
LONG LIVE DAEDALUS. can't wait for r5

Mr. Shizzy
June 8th, 2006, 07:20
Strmnnrmn -THANKS for all your hard work.
The thought of N64 emulation on my PSP has me drooling. This is obviously the most significant emulator for the PSP. A few questions:
1) How "playable" will v5 be?
2) How close is the final version? (is 2007 a good guess?)
Anyway; thanks again-can't wait to be playin' MARIO64!!!

Cooe14
June 8th, 2006, 23:06
Whaaaat!
I still have two weeks before my exams!!
well anywho ..... This emu is prolly gonna make a HUGE impact on handheld gaming!!
and also I was playing Earthworm Jim on R4 and it was going about 7-10 fps, I wonder if it is perfect now with the Recomplier Finished!
Great job Strmnrmn!
He said that the recompiler is only 50% done.

the one and only
June 9th, 2006, 04:55
Yay i wonder if loz will get past the start menu, xD i cant wait, btw cooe ur new sig looks fricken awesome

if u want to get rid of the link to image shack use this 1
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4754/attachmentphp5la.jpg

copy and paste and just delete the -loz-

the one that imageshck gives u is linked 2 their main site. its embedded in the img frames

Kramer
June 9th, 2006, 07:13
Yay i wonder if loz will get past the start menu, xD i cant wait

ocarina of time already goes ingame but goes like 3 fps or something

the one and only
June 9th, 2006, 08:29
lol srry i meant that u can get ingame but 1nce u get to the kokori sword and press start the game freezes

sroon
June 9th, 2006, 13:36
lol srry i meant that u can get ingame but 1nce u get to the kokori sword and press start the game freezes
Nope I got to "Dukey" tree but then turned it off because it was too slow for me.

the one and only
August 8th, 2006, 05:04
That is awesome, I cant wait, if only I knew how to code, i only know basic programming right now, otherwise i'd be all over that source...

lol, same