PDA

View Full Version : Phishing scams hit Xbox Live

rmedtx
November 14th, 2009, 15:18
Guys,

I found these important news...

From Consumerreports.com:

"If you’ve got an Xbox, or are planning to buy one this holiday season, you should know that Xbox is the latest platform to be victimized by phishers, according to security software maker F-Secure.

Victims are first conned by a YouTube video claiming to give away free Xbox Live memberships and Microsoft points (which are the equivalent of money in the Xbox world). You’re told to go to a Web site where you have to enter, of course, your Xbox Live gamer tag, password, and e-mail address. F-Secure’s blog points out that, while the Web site looks authentic, it’s got a country code from East Timor."

Here is the link to the original article:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2009/11/phishing-scams-xbox-live-fsecure-youtube-microsoft.html

Please be careful with these scams...

VampDude
November 14th, 2009, 16:17
Everyone knows that the YouTube videos claiming to give away FREE Xbox LIVE accounts are fake or they're trying to steal your information... A good reason to buy the accounts and not expect to be handed them for FREE.

Eviltaco64
November 14th, 2009, 17:41
Pffft... All you have to do to get free Live time is make a new account.

You're usually given a free month of Gold. :P

VampDude
November 14th, 2009, 17:46
Pffft... All you have to do to get free Live time is make a new account.

You're usually given a free month of Gold. :P

And for the people who wish not to change their gaming tag when making a new account, the option is to pay or go without. :cool:

Eviltaco64
November 14th, 2009, 21:35
And for the people who wish not to change their gaming tag when making a new account, the option is to pay or go without. :cool:

...Or get a PS3! :p

VampDude
November 14th, 2009, 23:33
...Or get a PS3! :p

Which I already have, it's just invisible or hasn't arrived yet (haven't decided). :(

Seriously, I even had to re-order my contract for my new phone which includes a PS3 slim for £34.99, which annoyed me at first (because it was their system error) but I've got to be patient... Though I cannot be patient having to read the GTA IV manual and not being able to play it, I want to go online... But before that even happens, my second game Metal Gear Solid 4 will arrive, torturing me (for something?) even further. lol

Eviltaco64
November 15th, 2009, 04:31
Which I already have, it's just invisible or hasn't arrived yet (haven't decided). :(

Seriously, I even had to re-order my contract for my new phone which includes a PS3 slim for £34.99, which annoyed me at first (because it was their system error) but I've got to be patient... Though I cannot be patient having to read the GTA IV manual and not being able to play it, I want to go online... But before that even happens, my second game Metal Gear Solid 4 will arrive, torturing me (for something?) even further. lol

Damn. Have you called them to see what's up with it?

VampDude
November 15th, 2009, 14:16
Damn. Have you called them to see what's up with it?

Not yet, but if I don't hear anything by Tuesday the latest I will call the number. Even though the number isn't FREE, but that's what my parents phone is for. :cool: