PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with last Fenix version

Imerion
June 7th, 2006, 22:40
Im posting this here since the Fenix-board seems to be gone. When using the latest version of the Fenix-runtime for DC (the latest cvs-version by Chui), my game freezes at a few points. It seems to be before some images are about to be displayed. Strangely enough, this does not happen with the main menu, which is displayed the same way. This doesn't happen on the Linux or GP2X version of the fenix runtime, so its a DC-specific problem and its thus probably not an error in my code. If anyone knows what it could be, any help would be great. If anyone wants to check through the source, PM me and I can link to it. (I'd rather not spread it since the game is an entry to the Dream On contest.)

DCDayDreamer
June 8th, 2006, 12:22
Hello Imerion, the Fenix forum was removed when everything got shuffled around and the site became an online equivalent to Minestrone Soup, however all the posts are now in Chuis`s Official Dev Forum.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=41

If I remember correctly Atari was also doing some code and testing with the later Fenix runtimes, by the way, what happened to Atari?.

Christuserloeser
June 8th, 2006, 14:25
I PMed Atari a while back. He had some personal stuff that needed sorting, but he's still/again working on a Fenix game :)

Atari
June 19th, 2006, 21:14
Yeah I'm still around. I just went through a nasty divorce and my living situation has been precarious as of late. But rest assured, I am still working on my game. I've been greatly inspired as of late by Radilgy, and am working on a shooter that mixes your basic Galaxian/Threshold gameplay with some puzzle elements a la Tetris. I've got the engine up and running, and just need to fill in the actual gameplay. Stay tuned, although it may take some time (and what the hell, it's taken over a year. Why not a little longer!!).

As an aside, I'm glad to see some people still playing around with Fenix. One of these days, we'll have to gather up some info and actually put up a comprehensive tech page on it's abilities and limitations...

DCDayDreamer
June 20th, 2006, 22:34
Good to hear from you again Atari, and sorry to hear the news about the divorce.

Good luck with the game, and good luck to you in the future!.

pauljake
July 22nd, 2006, 03:06
Im posting this here since the Fenix-board seems to be gone. When using the latest version of the Fenix-runtime for DC (the latest cvs-version by Chui), my game freezes at a few points. It seems to be before some images are about to be displayed. Strangely enough, this does not happen with the main menu, which is displayed the same way. This doesn't happen on the Linux or GP2X version of the fenix runtime, so its a DC-specific problem and its thus probably not an error in my code. If anyone knows what it could be, any help would be great. If anyone wants to check through the source, PM me and I can link to it. (I'd rather not spread it since the game is an entry to the Dream On contest.)
I will reply to the original post. The reason of those problems is that the latest version of the Fenix runtime was an alpha pre-release... it was far from perfection and got a lot of bugs that weren´t fixed. I remember to have found some of the bugs that you point in your post and informed to Chui, but he hadn't time to fix them because he was working with other projects. Because of that I will recommend you to use the old runtime instead of the newer one... lacks of four player and vmu support but is stable at least, or to learn C++ and use the SDL library if you really need those or other features (that's the way i'm taking right now). Hope that helps!

Christuserloeser
July 22nd, 2006, 17:53
Great to see you around pauljake :)