PDA

View Full Version : 360 - dc resembelance

Dull Blade
June 8th, 2006, 01:44
has any ony noticed when you look at it the 360 and the dc are really very similar. If you were to put the orange swirl (or blue one depending on the country) on the 360 you could really confuse people. just look: they were both ahead of their time when they were released, both are white in color and resonably well looking. the dc competed with a more powerful sony product, and so will the 360. both the 360 and the dc were behind sony in game medium (disks). both had very popular black colored predesessors (genesis, xbox). both feature an online service you must pay for to use (not for the dc any more). pritty freaky

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 03:21
hmm, very weird indeed, but let's not forget the differneces:

1 - dc was made by sega, which alot of people don't like
2 - the dc was easy to (i nkow it's not allowed here, but it's significant to this topic) modify to run burnt isos(please no one discus isos here)
3 - the 360 is full of bugs, dc wasn't on launch
4 - the dc is unusually noisy in cd drive
5 - 360, obviously, has better graphics and hit names like Halo 3 coming
6 - dc had (according to other people)absolutly no really good series, except Sonic, but that series isn't popular or liked by alot of people
7 - microsoft won't be out of business anytime soon. it has Windows, Sega has nothing like that.

Kaiser
June 8th, 2006, 03:52

WHAT!?

The DC has/had many more hits then the Xbox ever did.

6 - dc had absolutly no really good series, except Sonic, but that series isn't popular or liked by alot of people

WHAT?!

The Dreamcast has probably one fo the best good-bad game ratios of any system I've ever played. It has much better games then any microsoft console. Its true Sonic games have been going downhill for awhile but don't say he isn't liked. Your talking about a mascot who once surpassed Mario in popularity.

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 03:55
i ain't bashing dc, it's my favorite system. (Phantasy Star Online still rocks)
i'm just saying, on aim/msn messenger, everyone i talked to said they either don't like, or hate sega
and halo is by far more popular than any dc game, and it wil keep xbox alive, and if people don't like sega, they obviously won't like sonic either.

personally, i think sonics games are good, and the dc does, in my opinion, have some of the best games made (PSO, Grandia 2, Skeis of Arcadia, etc.) sadly, all those games got remade for other systems

Kaiser
June 8th, 2006, 03:57
i ain't bashing dc, it's my favorite system. (Phantasy Star Online still rocks)
i'm just saying, on aim/msn messenger, everyone i talked to said they either don't like, or hate sega
and halo is by far more popular than any dc game, and it wil keep xbox alive, and if people don't like sega, they obviously won't like sonic either.

personally, i think sonics games are good, and the dc does, in my opinion, have some of the best games made (PSO, Grandia 2, Skeis of Arcadia, etc.) sadly, all those games got remade for other systems

I'm getting mixed messages here. Your first reply completely contradicts what you said here. Halo isn't as popular as you may think. I'm sure much more people hate Microsoft then Sega.

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 04:00
what?
all the things i said where true, ALOT of people hate sega, and sonic. Halo keeps xbox alive. i like dreamcast

Kaiser
June 8th, 2006, 04:03
6 - dc had absolutly no really good series, except Sonic, but that series isn't popular or liked by alot of people

personally, i think sonics games are good, and the dc does, in my opinion, have some of the best games made (PSO, Grandia 2, Skeis of Arcadia, etc.)

Hmm...

I'm sure you don't hate sega its just your little list came off sounding like a Sega bashing.

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 04:06
oh, i worded that bad, let me fix it

quzar
June 8th, 2006, 04:56
hmm, very weird indeed, but let's not forget the differneces:

2 - the dc was easy to (i nkow it's not allowed here, but it's significant to this topic) modify to run burnt isos(please no one discus isos here)
3 - the 360 is full of bugs, dc wasn't on launch
4 - the dc is unusually noisy in cd drive
6 - dc had (according to other people)absolutly no really good series, except Sonic, but that series isn't popular or liked by alot of people
7 - microsoft won't be out of business anytime soon. it has Windows, Sega has nothing like that.

1- there was never large anti-sega sentiment. even in the jenny vs sneezy era.
2- the DC had no modification required
4- not compared to the xbox or the 360 (when using official games)
5- relative to the time period (and last console released) the DC was as big as if not a larger jump in graphical quality than the 360
6- yea...sonic isn't a popular series at all. it's way down there with bonk, of course it can't possibly be anywhere near mario, unless you started with the playstation
7- microsoft's gaming hardware department (xbox, 360) is hemmoraging money

what?
all the things i said where true, ALOT of people hate sega, and sonic. Halo keeps xbox alive. i like dreamcast

Well, I guess I'm the only one who hates Halo then? Plenty of people hate Halo, hate the XBox and most of all hate microsoft.

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 05:02
and hate me, eh quzar? <.<

my opinion - dreamcast better, 360 worse. the 2 are more different than related

JeffTweedyIsGod
June 8th, 2006, 16:02
Did you get this whole dc-360 thing from this site?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1

Seems very similar.

NiGame
June 8th, 2006, 16:17
only thing that is intresting is that the DC was the first major involvement by Microsoft into the console market - for those who are going to say but it was made buy sega - the operating system was Microsoft and work along side sega during development

edit - I hate microsoft ever since 3.11 and especially for win95 i had to spend £100 pounds to double my ram just to play the same games damn microsoft!!

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 16:24
check number 7 on this list
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3145154
that's what i've been saying. halo 3 WILL be what keeps xbox360 alive. without it, my bet, is that the 360 will never make it, and would plunge like dreamcast

tisti
June 8th, 2006, 21:14
Um, no? You may be forgetting that Microsoft is a multimulti-billion corp... And Billy boy will sacrifice a lot of money, if they can hurt Sony and get into the living room.

quzar
June 8th, 2006, 21:17
only thing that is intresting is that the DC was the first major involvement by Microsoft into the console market - for those who are going to say but it was made buy sega - the operating system was Microsoft and work along side sega during development

edit - I hate microsoft ever since 3.11 and especially for win95 i had to spend £100 pounds to double my ram just to play the same games damn microsoft!!

Not true. The Dreamcast has no Operating system. There were two development kits readily availible for it, one made by Sega: Codename Katana and the other by Microsoft and Sega: WinCE. The Windows CE kit was only used for a handfull of games (under 5% iirc).

Also, Microsoft had previously released a full set of consoles, the MSX and MSX 2.

Cap'n 1time
June 8th, 2006, 21:50
Someone mentioned that the DC was noisy and the 360 is quiet... get the wax out of your ears.. or better yet keep it in... the decibles the 360 puts out could probably colapse ones brain.

The halo 3 thing i would also have to disagree with. MANY, MANY, MANY people bought the Elder Scrolls IV. The EA sports series, though availible on other platforms, will always sell very well. Bioware has mentioned somthing about a new KOToR game. The original game on the first xbox sold nearly as well as Halo. Also, I must admit.. Epic's upcoming Gears of War which promisses to be an interesingt twist on the PC and possible PS3 game Unreal 2007 still grasps my interest above all else on the console. Its also rumored that the upcoming mmo FPS Quake: Enemy Territory will make a 360 apperance. So Halo 3 is exciting.. but its certainly not the ONLY thing exciting about the 360.

xuphorz
June 8th, 2006, 23:10
let me set something straight: i don't have a 360, never plan to get one, it does not appeal to me at all. all i know about the noise is i've never heard any at all in Target/Wal-Mart when playing demos on it.

BALL_SAC
June 9th, 2006, 01:25
They are very different... and Sonic will never surpass Mario... Sorry Kaiser.

Kaiser
June 9th, 2006, 01:43
They are very different... and Sonic will never surpass Mario... Sorry Kaiser.

Don't you mean Sonic will never surpass Mario again?

He did it once my friend. Back in Sega's golden age in the early 90s Sonic was more popular then Mario. He was the first video game character to have three ongoing television shows, a best selling game and have a McDonalds happy meal toy being made simultaneously. He dethroned Mario and was the only mascot to ever do so. I eagerly await Sega's return to the top.

Cap'n 1time
June 9th, 2006, 04:09
well mario had at least 3 of his own TV shows going on a seperate times, some mcdonalds toys, and a number of best selling games. not all at the same time, but he did it.

http://www.nintendoland.com/funfacts/merchs/mcmario.htm

quzar
June 9th, 2006, 05:35
well mario had at least 3 of his own TV shows going on a seperate times, some mcdonalds toys, and a number of best selling games. not all at the same time, but he did it.

http://www.nintendoland.com/funfacts/merchs/mcmario.htm

Yes, but the sonic thing happened afterwards, hence the whole surpassing. Sonic has been the only mascot able to even match mario.

NiGame
June 9th, 2006, 08:49
Not true. The Dreamcast has no Operating system. There were two development kits readily availible for it, one made by Sega: Codename Katana and the other by Microsoft and Sega: WinCE. The Windows CE kit was only used for a handfull of games (under 5% iirc).

Also, Microsoft had previously released a full set of consoles, the MSX and MSX 2.

As this site points out the CE was the core and how all online content was used via the dreamcast - yes you could change the OS but it was shipped with CE
http://www.teenink.com/Past/2001/May/VideoGames/index.html

Second paragraph here tells you why they did it so people could program on a PC easier and transfer it across plus the use of directx
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1998/May98/Segagmpr.mspx

Darksaviour69
June 9th, 2006, 12:09
no that article on teenink is wrong, actually there are a lot of articles about the DC saying it ran on CE, but they just did not do thier research. The fact is that 95% of dreamcast games used Katana and only about 5% used CE. (as quzar said

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast#Technology

Microsoft co-operated with Sega in hopes of promoting its Windows CE operating system for video games. Windows CE offered easy porting to the Dreamcast of existing PC applications, but offered limited capabilities relative to the Dreamcast's native operating system. When developers took advantage of the easy development time offered by Windows CE, the resulting games (e.g., Sega Rally 2) lagged in performance and framerate. The only Windows CE application most users saw was the pack-in CD containing a CE-based dialer and web browser.

actually here is a list of all games that used wince
http://boob.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=448955812588ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=1611 ;hl=wince;st=0

4x4 Evolution(PAL, USA)
Armada(PAL, USA)
Atari Anniversary Edition(USA)
Space Griffon Blue Steel: Variable Formula(JAP)
Densya de Go 2(JAP)
Get!! Colonies(JAP)
Hidden & Dangerous(PAL, USA)
Jimmy Whites Snooker 2(PAL)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol 1(PAL, USA)
Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol 2(PAL, USA)
Nightmare Creatures II (PAL, USA)
Puzzle Bobble 4(AKA Bust-A-Move 4)
Railroad Tycoon II(PAL, USA)
Resident Evil 2
Sega Rally 2
South Park: Chefs Luv Shack(PAL, USA)
Spirit of Speed 1937(PAL, USA)
Starlancer(PAL, USA)
Super Runabout(JAP)
Super Runabout: San Francisco Edition
Super Robot Wars Alpha(JAP)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six(PAL, USA)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear(PAL, USA)
Tomb Raider Chronicles(PAL, USA)
Virtua Cop 2(JAP, USA)
Who Wants To Beat Up A Millionaire(PAL, USA)
Wild Metal(PAL, USA)
World Neverland Plus: The Olerud Kingdom Stories (JAP)
World Neverland 2 Plus: The Waktic Republic of Pluto (JAP)
Worms Armageddon(USA)
Worms World party(PAL, USA)

Unreleased Games:
Half-Life
Quake(Titanium Studios Port)
Defense COmmander(Titanium Studios Demo)
PBA Bowling 2001

Dull Blade
June 10th, 2006, 06:17
Did you get this whole dc-360 thing from this site?

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1

Seems very similar.
Wow that is wierd. I actually didn't, a day or 2 ago i was playing a game of SMB3 thanks to nesterdc se with a friend at my house, then we went to his house for a few rounds of PGR3 and thats when i noticed the resembelance.

sorry about the delayed relpy, my router had reset and I didn't reconfigure it for about 2 days.

quzar
June 10th, 2006, 07:52
As this site points out the CE was the core and how all online content was used via the dreamcast - yes you could change the OS but it was shipped with CE
http://www.teenink.com/Past/2001/May/VideoGames/index.html

Second paragraph here tells you why they did it so people could program on a PC easier and transfer it across plus the use of directx
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1998/May98/Segagmpr.mspx

There is a reason the Dreamcast only says "Compatible with Windows CE" on the front (although some say "Developed for Windows CE") and not "Powered by Windows CE". There is absolutely no windows code on the console itself, all that it has is a BIOS, no OS at all.

Mr_Biggs
June 16th, 2006, 01:24
i think this thread should be closed before words are said, and flames break out.