PDA

View Full Version : PicoDriveDS 0.1.1 - Genesis Emulator for Nintendo DS

wraggster
June 8th, 2006, 06:41
Ryan FB (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45) has released a Genesis Emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Okay, 0.1.1 is up now (files are in the same location as the first post). Not any major changes, but hopefully a few fixes. The frameskip code was completely rewritten, and may be a little better now. Most importantly, the IRQ/VBlank code was redone and might fix the issues some users have been seeing where they just get a black screen after loading a ROM. A special thanks goes out to LiraNuna for helping me with these fixes and putting up with my stupid questions..

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

beccio
June 8th, 2006, 07:53
Great, this emulator work fine (without sound)
A lot of games are playable but the framerate is slow.... is a symbian port?

deedark
June 8th, 2006, 11:24
Wow, now it works for me! [tears of bliss] Sonic, in all its original glory - well, sort of... a bit slow, no sound, but great indeed.

Maybe you could benefit from looking at GENS sourcecode; And, if you could contact Steve Snake, author of the best DOS-era genesis emulator (KGEN98) and one of the best windows genesis emulators (Kega fusion), then your PicodriveDS could improve a lot, quickly... But then it could be just me daydreaming...

DarkworldPrince
June 8th, 2006, 17:07
Yes. you're daydreaming. Gen's couldn't hope to be ported to DS. Ever. It needs too powerful a machine. Don't people understand this? Picodrive has been around for ages on symbian phones, and I don't think the DS'll be able to go one further and add sound. Why don't people just make a decent fullscreen NES and Master System emu for DS, and while they're at it, a good GBC emulator with savestates? surely it would make most sense???

Junixx
June 8th, 2006, 18:04
:) this runs a load better, but i still cant see the status menu on zombies ate my neighbors, hopefully that can be fixed though ;)

~Using GBAMPv2~

DimensionT
June 8th, 2006, 18:42
@DarkworldPrince:

Daydreaming is how all homebrew gets started...

I don't think the Genesis was a whole lot stronger then the SNES. Genesis' onboard CPU might have been 2 times as big, but that only means some slow down will accur (which can possibly be fixed within the source using speed hacks and such).

Yes, I know this is a port and SnesDS was built from scratch, but PicoDriveDS should say something about how possible Genesis on the DS is... VERY

Here's the specs for both:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming/SNES_Specs

http://dextremes.com/genesis/gen-spec.html

Last time I checked, the DS was stronger then most cell phones and alot of Pocket PCs, :p. Seems like it souldn't be too much harder to add sound emulation... The SNES' SPU has about the same specs, and I heard that SnesDS' sound processor runs entirly on ARM 7. So if PicoDrive runs on ARM 9, adding audio sould be relatively easy.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work Ryan FB! Looking forward to another release.

jp.jones
June 8th, 2006, 19:21
If anyone has had success running this on NDS hardware and a G6 2MB cart please post how ya did it. i have tried various ways, ultimately, the roms in the directory aren't read. I get -> load rom and everything is locked up.

I am looking forward to future releases and am thankful someone is working on this!!!

Thanks RyanFB!!!

scrabbus
June 8th, 2006, 20:33
Yes. you're daydreaming. Gen's couldn't hope to be ported to DS. Ever. It needs too powerful a machine. Don't people understand this? Picodrive has been around for ages on symbian phones, and I don't think the DS'll be able to go one further and add sound. Why don't people just make a decent fullscreen NES and Master System emu for DS, and while they're at it, a good GBC emulator with savestates? surely it would make most sense???

HMMMMMMM !! Somebody needs to do some homework!
tut-tut....MUST TRY HARDER. F-

hicaow
June 9th, 2006, 03:19
this is awsome!! .. thank you :]

how do i exit a game back to the games list ?

edit: emulator works great on my supercard CF..