PDA

View Full Version : Kutaragi: PS3 is "clearly a computer

wraggster
June 8th, 2006, 16:33
Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has bigged up PlayStation 3 as a full-on computer today, noting that PC-style upgrades and build to order systems could be on the way.

"Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console," Kutaragi said, In an Interview with Japan's PC Watch. "It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. ... This will of course apply to the PS3 as well."

The PlayStation boss continued, saying that the PS3's highly configurable hardware overrides any issue of cost, and even suggested that the next-gen PlayStation could keep up with PC technology. "The PS3 is a computer," said Kutaragi. "Lowering costs is important but more important is its capacity to evolve.

I think the HDD will gain in capacity. If a new technology gets into mainstream PCs, the PS3 will have to adopt it as well. Maybe the Blu-ray drive will become writable. Well, maybe not at this point.

Kutaragi then continued his 'PS3 as a computer' campaign, saying that the HDD is not the only element that gives the console a computer nature. "Everything has been planned and designed so it will become a computer. The previous PlayStation had a memory slot as its unique interface. In contrast, the PS3 features PC standard interfaces. Because they are standard, they are open.

Kutaragi continued: "We put up no restrictions. Because it is a computer, it can interact with anything, freely. If someone is familiar with PC building, he or she can easily upgrade PS3's HDD."

Console traditionalists might be put off by all the talk of yearly tweaks and upgrades, but by the looks of it this is exactly the kind of route Kutaragi would like to take with the PS3.

"I think a year from the launch we could indeed extend the configuration of the PS3. Why not!" conceded Kutaragi. "Okay, this is may be joke or a personal opinion. I mean we have no such plan at this very moment. However, companies like Dell or Apple have such programs. In the PC world, specifications rarely last more than two years. You need to update them. I believe the PC is always evolving. I think that the time may come that the 60GB HDD would become too small or the RAM to low. Such issues are numerous."

It looks like the days of tamper-free, technically inferior consoles could be over. But can the PS3 really compete with PC technology? Do gamers really want to upgrade their consoles every few years? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=141205&skip=yes)

muffinman
June 8th, 2006, 19:52
well you wouldn't have to buy a new console every few years.

SSaxdude
June 8th, 2006, 20:17
As long as it cannot run Windows, it will never be a computer.

Cooe14
June 8th, 2006, 23:12
First off it's NOT a computer. Secondly they are just asking for it to get hacked.

Emulation_Chief
June 9th, 2006, 07:41
Hello:

Sony's now clears all the clouds of their marketing stratergy. Like PSP, the company wants you to sell a complete electronic entertainment machine; not just a mere game console.

The detachable Hard Drive, the custom Linux OS, the Blu-Ray drive, the expandable RAM, the CELL upgrade; all indicative of creating and expandable machine that last more than five to eight years.

Still, It can't be a substitute for a PC for the following reasons:

1. The Linux OS is a customized version to work for the PS3 only. PC games and apps has diferent hardware specifications that the OS has to meet first to run properly. Even with Linux OS for the PC, the software still need to match the minimum requirements just to load properly. Porting a game made to run on an Intel or an AMD processors probably will be very difficult. As a consequence, development cost will rise and, thus, the prices.

2. Today's PC games and multimedia apps requires very powerful GFX cards. If your favorite programs requires a GFX card that's more powerful than the one you're using, you have to check if the motherboard of your computer has the necessary power to run a better one. Sony didn't say anything about changing the GFX on the PS3. Game consoles and handhelds has the GFX to produce high-quality software. On PC, better card, better graphics. A console with the ability to upgrade will be doom for Sony. Latest games that requires the hardware specs will force the consumer to buy the necessary parts to run it. It's natural for a PC environment to invest on the upgrade. PS3's still a gaming machine. No-one would like to buy the latest game and find that it doesn't work unless you upgrade first.

3. The main PC input device is the Keyboard and Mouse. The gaming machine's main input device is the game controller. Even with the lots of improvements of Kb's to make people play their games, game controllers are the easiest and most comfortable way to play. Sony doesn't anounce if a device like a keyboard and Mouse will be available, only your slow controller becomes the input.

Accordion
June 9th, 2006, 11:15
i think you guys are taking this too literally
think media center, and windows is crap.
i think what he means is, if you want more memory, you can swap the 60GB HDD for a 600GB one.
if you want more ram, you can get a expansion pack like the N64 did

kimbonious
June 10th, 2006, 11:22
Ok, sounds to me like a PC that can only play it's own type of games (money for soney), I bet my paycheck that it will use proprietary everything. So you wanna upgrade the harddrive? Sure 200 dollars for a SONY HDD that would cost 100 anywhere esle. Screw that it's either a console or a PC.

acn010
June 11th, 2006, 07:32
As long as it cannot run Windows, it will never be a computer.
um.. ther mac computers, they don't run windows (except now cause the new computers has intel chip inside)
theres linux program
so basically it is, another reason is also the parts can be upgraded so it can last.
but as you can see, i think there gonna make there unique parts for the system, whch it will reaaly suck.

BALL_SAC
June 11th, 2006, 21:06
PS3 is set to use Linux... So meaning its just like a computer. It has all the nessecary features to be one... Just no prining features. ^_^

DPyro
June 11th, 2006, 22:36
Ok, sounds to me like a PC that can only play it's own type of games (money for soney), I bet my paycheck that it will use proprietary everything. So you wanna upgrade the harddrive? Sure 200 dollars for a SONY HDD that would cost 100 anywhere esle. Screw that it's either a console or a PC.
They already said you use a standard IDE HDD.

Zion
June 11th, 2006, 23:13
Sounds great. :p

Can't wait for the PS3! :D

kimbonious
June 12th, 2006, 12:50
They already said you use a standard IDE HDD.

Where did they say standard exactly?
they said anyone who knew how to upgrade todays pc's could upgrade a sonyps3pc. Not that it would be standard

navysealrb
June 14th, 2006, 19:24
sounds like ppl are jelouse of it being a "computer" or not

haha

i laugh at u.

tsurumaru
June 23rd, 2006, 10:49
Guys, this seems clearly linked with avoiding paying certain tariff duties like Sony had to in the EU, see here:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/06/20/ps2_not_a_pc/

The courts in the UK decided that the PS2 was definitely not a PC as Sony had tried to claim.

By claiming the PS3 is a computer from the outset they are trying to strengthen their case if there is a repeat of this lawsuit.

Remember Sony have fairly large money problems at the moment, anything in which they can save money is for the good of the company.

acn010
June 23rd, 2006, 18:05
for sony putting all latest technology its "cheap" for this consule or computer or whatever it is.
saw some Blueray players an HD dvd players will cost over $1,000 dollars "just" to play movie discs

Cap'n 1time
June 23rd, 2006, 18:09
a computer... by sony?! mmm deja vu... vaio?

Little DJ
June 23rd, 2006, 19:11
but what s the difference betwine the 360 and the ps3?

tsurumaru
June 26th, 2006, 14:49
but what s the difference betwine the 360 and the ps3?

Here we go again...... :p

Napalm-Death
June 26th, 2006, 22:03
Wow, I guess he was living under a rock the whole time.