PDA

View Full Version : Be Nice to Noobs

LeperMessiah
June 8th, 2006, 19:00
Let me tell you from experience there is a fine line between ignorance and stupidity. But there is a difference. Ignorance is not knowing better. Stupidity is just a lack of understanding or knowledge by lack of trying.

So I see people all the time flame Noobs. Even Noobs, trying to be cool will flame other Noobs.

Grow up people. First of all it's the internet, and truly any of us taking the time to sit here and type a forum message are geeks. Live with it. If we were the elite cool people in the world we would have much more important/better things to do. So I say don't think you are better than someone just because they don't know.

Show them where to find the information. Help them and point them in the right direction. Not everyone is technical, in fact some people may not ever grasp the concepts behind homebrew or emulation or whatever the topic in question is.

It's one thing to have fun by making fun of your friends online, it's another to be a complete asshole to somebody who just didn't know better.

I know it can be frustrating to reply to the same questions over and over and over again. But do you remember when you were a complete noob? I do and still consider myself a noob. All most of them, (except for the idiots who come online just to start flamewars), want is to be helped to understand what it is they have to do.

I personally hope this board turns out to be more helpful than most when it comes to Noobs. I know I will try to reply to a Noobs question to the best of my ability.
This goes double for Mods I would think as they are there to "Moderate" the boards and forums. i.e; to help.

I can almost imagine the flaming I may get for posting this. But I can handle it. I'm a grown up. But I also remember how frustrating it was to try to learn sopmething just to have someone tell you off, because you weren't familiar with the scene and didn't know where to look.

Something to consider the next time a Noob asks a question like; "What is Homebrew and how do I install it."

bullhead
June 8th, 2006, 19:21
Well said, but that post would be more at home at a number of other psp forums I cant mention. Everyone who posts at this site is mature enough as far as I can tell. I dont see much flaming here ever. The mods do a great job to.
I doubt there will be any flaming responses to your thread.

yaustar
June 8th, 2006, 20:39
I even expect a newbie to at least use the search function or google. The more effort that someone puts into a post, the more effort I use in replying.

LeperMessiah
June 8th, 2006, 23:40
I even expect a newbie to at least use the search function or google. The more effort that someone puts into a post, the more effort I use in replying.

I agree Noobs should use the search. I don't wanna help lazy Noobs. But when someone says they searched and could not find the answer I have no problem helping them.

Shadowblind
June 8th, 2006, 23:44
ya gotta love 'em noobs

Wally
June 9th, 2006, 00:08
n00bs can flame just as much as others most occasions.

They tend not to :
1) Read the rules
2) Read the FAQ's

This happens on EVERY site.
Worst case i have seen is www.dosgames.com/forum

In the finding Old games topic some just tend to say This game was a shooting game and THATS IT!
You guessed it right, no more explainations, no ideas etc...

So you gotta admit being asked the same question about 50 times is not good..

Before I came here (as a PSP homebrew newbie) I done my research on downgrading, 1.50, emulator sources (psp-news wasnt really developed at that time, PSPupdates was the source), i never asked for help :P

LeperMessiah
June 9th, 2006, 03:18
n00bs can flame just as much as others most occasions.

They tend not to :
1) Read the rules
2) Read the FAQ's

This happens on EVERY site.
Worst case i have seen is www.dosgames.com/forum

In the finding Old games topic some just tend to say This game was a shooting game and THATS IT!
You guessed it right, no more explainations, no ideas etc...

So you gotta admit being asked the same question about 50 times is not good..

Before I came here (as a PSP homebrew newbie) I done my research on downgrading, 1.50, emulator sources (psp-news wasnt really developed at that time, PSPupdates was the source), i never asked for help :P

Well Wally you may never have asked for help, but sometimes people do and they ask it legitimately.
For example I have a tech support background for PC's yet I had no idea how the file structure worked for the PSP. I did some research and found out most of what I needed to know, but still had questions.
So I asked and luckily I got the answers I was seeking at the time.

And I also agree being asked the same question 50 times is not cool, unless you're answering different people and they have searched for the answer for awhile and have had no luck.
then it's a matter of do you give everyone a fair chance and consider that they are not lying when they say that they looked it up but could not find it, or do you act like a dick from the beginning and tell them off for being a useless Noob who is too lazy even though they could be for real?

Tough choice and I can honestly see both sides of the argument, but for me if I can answer a question and the person i am answering has not flooded the forums with stupid posts then I will try to help, at least once.

Shadowblind
June 9th, 2006, 03:21
You really like talking about noobs alot, huh?
Not that its bad, seeing as noobs have became part of our everyday lives. We take them in through fish with noobery poisoning and then digest them. I wont go any further then that, though. Just beware- too much noobery poisoning can lead to lower IQ levels.

shadowprophet
June 9th, 2006, 03:22
gotta move this thread to off topic.
It doesnt belong in psp homebrew and emulation;)

xuphorz
June 9th, 2006, 03:50
noobs, some of them are annoying (ONES THAT TALK IN ALL CAPS FOR NO APPARENT REASON), some are very helpful, like when shadowprop, kaiser, and quzra where noobies, they were probly very nice/good

Shadowblind
June 9th, 2006, 03:52
IM A NOOB! And im good at it too! watch this--

Oh! Check it! Where did that cat come from? What a noob, right? Haha, thats good noob work if ive ever seen it :D

shadowprophet
June 9th, 2006, 03:55
noobs, some of them are annoying (ONES THAT TALK IN ALL CAPS FOR NO APPARENT REASON), some are very helpful, like when shadowprop, kaiser, and quzra where noobies, they were probly very nice/good
I was the newbiest of them all.

**I mde psts lk this thinkin peeps would under stnd em. lol**

Ive long since grown from that bad habbit. however We where all noob at one point :)

rdoggpmasta
June 9th, 2006, 04:17
In host-guest chemistry an inclusion compound is a complex in which one chemical compound the host forms a cavity which molecules of a second compound the guest are located. The definition of inclusion compounds is very broad, it extends to channels formed between molecules in a crystal lattice in which guest molecules can fit. If the spaces in the host lattice are enclosed on all sides so that the guest species is ‘trapped’ as in a cage, such compounds are known as clathrates. In molecular encapsulation a guest molecule is actually trapped inside another molecule.

[edit]
Cyclodextrin inclusion compounds
Inclusion complexes are formed between cyclodextrins and ferrocene[1]. When a solution of both compounds in a 2:1 ratio in water is boiled for 2 days and then allowed to rest for 10 hours at room temperature orange-yellow crystals form. X-ray diffraction analysis of these crystals reveal a 4:5 inclusion complex with 4 molecules of ferrocene included in the cavity of 4 cyclodextrine molecules and with the fifth ferrocene molecule sandwiched between two stacks of ferrocene - cyclodextrine dimers.

Cyclodextrin also forms inclusion compounds with fragrance molecules[2]. As a result the fragrance molecules have a reduced vapor pressure and are more stable towards exposure to light and air. When incorporated into textiles the fragrance lasts much longer due to the slow-release action

Shadowblind
June 9th, 2006, 05:17
In host-guest chemistry an inclusion compound is a complex in which one chemical compound the host forms a cavity which molecules of a second compound the guest are located. The definition of inclusion compounds is very broad, it extends to channels formed between molecules in a crystal lattice in which guest molecules can fit. If the spaces in the host lattice are enclosed on all sides so that the guest species is ‘trapped’ as in a cage, such compounds are known as clathrates. In molecular encapsulation a guest molecule is actually trapped inside another molecule.

[edit]
Cyclodextrin inclusion compounds
Inclusion complexes are formed between cyclodextrins and ferrocene[1]. When a solution of both compounds in a 2:1 ratio in water is boiled for 2 days and then allowed to rest for 10 hours at room temperature orange-yellow crystals form. X-ray diffraction analysis of these crystals reveal a 4:5 inclusion complex with 4 molecules of ferrocene included in the cavity of 4 cyclodextrine molecules and with the fifth ferrocene molecule sandwiched between two stacks of ferrocene - cyclodextrine dimers.

Cyclodextrin also forms inclusion compounds with fragrance molecules[2]. As a result the fragrance molecules have a reduced vapor pressure and are more stable towards exposure to light and air. When incorporated into textiles the fragrance lasts much longer due to the slow-release action

'_'

Is that the recipe for the class-B Dual Noob?

Dull Blade
June 10th, 2006, 06:33
I unfortunatly am noob, I am trying to post about 30 odd post as fast as i can to rid my self of the title. But I will admit I have flamed noobs before, generally the ones who dont read the rules and ask how to copie game or the ones who clutter the forms with advertising of products with no relevence.

shadowprophet
June 10th, 2006, 06:59
I dont know why people detest it so much.
Everyone was new at some point.
Hell when I was a noob. I was far more noobish then you guys. I was ridiculed for posts that looked somthing like this,

** ohla peopleses, Ims new to here and n@@d TH!S Or ThaT? **

Maybe thats an extremem example. But ask anyone that has known me since the beginning, I was the epitome of what a noob was back then.
But people often overlook the benifits of the title.
The noob title comes with a certain amount of amnesty to mistakes that are somtimes made.
Why somone would want to throw away there rightfull leinance , There time given to adjust to thr rules here is beyond me. We give noobs a certain ammount of slack.
But have zero tolerance for rule breakers once they are past that beginners level.

For the life of me I will never understand why people get in such a hurry to lay there head on a chopping block lol
It really does become a different game once your no longer a noob here.

Meditate on these things for a while guys.

Dull Blade
June 10th, 2006, 07:12
I dont know why people detest it so much.
well I am a person so here's my anwser. It makes us seem inexperienced. I was doing the homedrew and emulators for dc 2 years ago, just not the form. so I am left with this title for now.

Kaiser
June 10th, 2006, 07:40
well I am a person so here's my anwser. It makes us seem inexperienced. I was doing the homedrew and emulators for dc 2 years ago, just not the form. so I am left with this title for now.

Well technically you are a DCemu newbie. Since your "new" to DCemu.co.uk. As long as you post with quality (which you seem to be doing) you'll recieve the same respect as any oldbie.

DrunkenDork
June 10th, 2006, 22:45
whatever - just be nice!! sounds like a great idea to me!! thanks for stickin' up for the noobs Leper!!
we are grateful!
Listen to Grateful by Patti Smith : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/11999795

Apoklepz
June 13th, 2006, 21:52
Heck yeah! We were all noobs once, too y'know... So keep the DC emu forums nice and clean for the noobies! After all DC not only stands out for Dream Cast, Deadly Curse, Dreaded Crap, District Campus, Dark Caramel, Downright Crazy, Decomposing Cat and a slew of others including my personal favorite, Dirty Camel....it also stands for Decently Caring. Aaaaaaaaaaw, I'm sure all the Dedicated Controlling mods shed a tear on that one XP.

Anyways..... My point is..... as random as people may come, remember to be respectful to noobs. After all they make the community bigger than life.

Shadowblind
June 13th, 2006, 22:06
noobs