PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft hails its ‘killer weapon’ in battle with PS3 and Wii

wraggster
November 20th, 2009, 19:15
Live is streets ahead of rivals’ services following social media additions, says company
Microsoft has claimed that it is “continually keeping ahead” of its rivals’ online services with additions to Xbox Live.
The firm this week added social media services such as Twitter, Facebook and music portal Last.FM to Live – as well as HD movie streaming service Zune.
However, Facebook arrived on PS3 on Wednesday, as Nintendo launched its own version of the BBC iPlayer on Wii.
“We were the first to really understand the power that an online, live service has and bring it to life for millions of gamers – and now we’re the ones evolving it beyond gaming,” UK Xbox boss Neil Thompson told MCV.
“There are lots of clever companies out there doing interesting things on their platforms, but it’s our job to keep ahead of them, and constantly innovate. We’re keeping that pace going and will continue to do so.

“Xbox Live is flying at the moment – in the UK especially. Live is a killer weapon for us in terms of our line-up.
“When we first got into the console business, we understood that the elements that were going to define success in this business were really software and services. We knew that the hardware component was important, but really wasn’t the vital thing.”
The Zune service is a particularly intriguing addition to Xbox 360 – introducing a premium video experience with instant-on HD and surround sound.
Microsoft told MCV that the service was a way to build awareness of the Zune brand – but was not an indicator that it had plans to introduce Zune hardware to the UK.
“Zune is a pivotal element to our whole entertainment offering and a brand we’re going to keep building on,” added Thompson.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36608/Microsoft-hails-its-killer-weapon-in-battle-with-PS3-and-Wii

symbal
November 20th, 2009, 19:26
And scared parents away from buying Xbox this Christmas with it's ban hammer and just drove them over to Ps3, it was a badly realised plan and i'm betting it's going to backfire on them.

fpcreator2000
November 20th, 2009, 20:53
The only "cool" thing about Facebook on Xbox is that when you make an update you get the "[xbox icon]updated via xbox live" notice, but it is a poorly implemented system. Last.fm is a very cool addition, but I've discovered Pandora and realized it is a lot better. Zune video marketplace? Not likely to visit it anytime soon. Twitter? I don't even have a twitter account but for those who do, I guess it's cool.

Anger
November 21st, 2009, 00:16
rofl lmao.

Whats that? he WASNT joking?

i have only two things to say to microsoft - psn unlike live is FREEEEEEEEEEEEE, and you dont get banned from psn for modifying your OWN hardware.

And scared parents away from buying Xbox this Christmas with it's ban hammer and just drove them over to Ps3, it was a badly realised plan and i'm betting it's going to backfire on them.

it has already - before they even got to the 1 million there were several reports of people choosing ps3 over xbox simply because of there stupid mentality towards there customers, and im not even going into the reports of people banned without cause. everyone can and should walk with their feet because if this is what there doing now, imagine how bad it will be if sony wasnt around or ninty for that matter. psn is the only thing in my eyes that sony has done right in recent times - damn im begining to sound like a sony fan.

osgeld
November 21st, 2009, 00:23
i dont really care about psn or live, but there is 1 major point that will keep the universe from dumping 360 instantly

its less than half the price and it has a larger number of got to have games (aka its not a 3dO)

if ps3 ever manages to do that then its a debate

Eviltaco64
November 21st, 2009, 04:49
Yes, the Zune Marketplace, Facebook, Twitter, and Last.FM are going to make any and everyone flock to the 360.

I mean, this is some impressive stuff, here. The only negative side of it is that you'll have to have a Gold membership to use any of the add-ons (probably excluding the ZM).

Or, you could use those things for free on a Wii or PS3 (or better yet, the computer that's 10 feet away from your TV!) :P

the_eternal_dark
November 21st, 2009, 04:54
i dont really care about psn or live, but there is 1 major point that will keep the universe from dumping 360 instantly

its less than half the price and it has a larger number of got to have games (aka its not a 3dO)

Ummm, it's the same price now, $299.... Of course you could get a crippled Arcade edition, then buy a hard drive, wifi adapter, pay for xbox live, AND then buy games, but you'd be quite the moron to pay for all of that and pay far more than what a 360 elite (unless you bought the wifi adapter for the elite as well) or PS3 costs. I beg to differ with the games argument as well. Uncharted 2, COD MW2, Assassins Creed 2, MGS4, Infamous, RE5, Little Big Planet, etc... I think you get the point.

Yes, the Zune Marketplace, Facebook, Twitter, and Last.FM are going to make any and everyone flock to the 360.

I mean, this is some impressive stuff, here. The only negative side of it is that you'll have to have a Gold membership to use any of the add-ons (probably excluding the ZM).

Or, you could use those things for free on a Wii or PS3 (or better yet, the computer that's 10 feet away from your TV!) :P

I want Pandora on my PS3, dammit! As for netflix, I could care less, I have a large collection that I just stream, all in HD. Getting a Wii for Resident Evil goodness.

joshx1000
November 21st, 2009, 05:24

lol really this isn't 2006 lol plus I won't lie I've never really like microsoft products and I don't plan to get a 360, but this is just a plain ignorant post. The ps3 has more AAA titles then the 360 plus I really can't think of a game on 360 for 2010 even worth getting that's not on ps3. Plus like the previous post stated to get everything the ps3 has u have to spend alot more money than just buying a ps3. The worst thing though is that microsoft gets all these things yet still can't make a web browser for their own console thats just sad.

jamotto
November 21st, 2009, 07:54
lThe worst thing though is that microsoft gets all these things yet still can't make a web browser for their own console thats just sad.

Well, considering how badly hacked their web browsers tend to be it might actually be a good thing they don't have a web browser on the Xbox 360.

osgeld
November 21st, 2009, 18:05
lol really this isn't 2006

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Ummm, it's the same price now, $299.... Of course you could get a crippled Arcade edition, then buy a hard drive, wifi adapter, pay for xbox live, AND then buy games

um no its not, just the elite, no real need for an hard disk here, I am not one of the unwashed peasents with no pc and trying to make up for it with an xbox, just save games thanks which a memory card will serve just fine, as it did in the last 3 generations of consoles

already have a wifi bridge from my xbox 1, and already stated dont care for live or psn.

so unless this is the first computer / game console one has ever owned wheres the horrible disadvantage

joshx1000
November 22nd, 2009, 00:21
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

um no its not, just the elite, no real need for an hard disk here, I am not one of the unwashed peasents with no pc and trying to make up for it with an xbox, just save games thanks which a memory card will serve just fine, as it did in the last 3 generations of consoles

already have a wifi bridge from my xbox 1, and already stated dont care for live or psn.

so unless this is the first computer / game console one has ever owned wheres the horrible disadvantage

The 2006 thing was when xbox fanboy's were saying about how ps3 has no games which now the ps3 has more exclusives than 360. I'm suprised u didn't get it

Anger
November 22nd, 2009, 00:59
no real need for an hard disk here

im sorry but i have to correct you here. because of the most recent live update (the big one) you must have a hard drive unless you have one of the newest systems as earlier systems didnt have enough flash memory to store this new operating system.

the_eternal_dark
November 22nd, 2009, 05:05
im sorry but i have to correct you here. because of the most recent live update (the big one) you must have a hard drive unless you have one of the newest systems as earlier systems didnt have enough flash memory to store this new operating system.

That and enjoying the ability to install a good chunk of game data from your original game disk to enjoy much shorter load times, this goes for both systems. Also, expansions and add-ons are a plus.