PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Classic Collection Locking On To DS

wraggster
November 20th, 2009, 19:42
Another Sonic the Hedgehog collection? Yep, it looks that way since Australia’s OFLC rated a game called Sonic Classic Collection for the Nintendo DS.

Sega has yet to announce it, but we’re pretty sure it’s going to be a bunch of Genesis era Sonic games on a Nintendo DS cart. With all of the other Sega re-releases on the market, Sonic Classic Collection needs something to make it standout. Something like Knuckles’ Chaotix or a prototype to play with. Wishful thinking, I know.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/19/sonic-classic-collection-locking-on-to-ds/

LDAsh
November 21st, 2009, 01:47
Not sure you could take an Australian's word for anything...

Flygon
November 21st, 2009, 05:29
I'm Australian, and I'm calling bullcrap.

There is no way in hell they're seriously doing this, unless they figure out how to reposition the GUI, even then, the games will be awkward with the 'borders'.

I don't see them emulating the sound though, they'll do what they did with the previous collections I bet, just use prerecorded music (Assuming what I heard was true, if not, ignore this part).

...this all hinges of course, on if this is real.

I just don't think Sega is doing this.

JDvorak
November 22nd, 2009, 05:08
Why wouldn't Sega release another compilation of Sonic Games? Makes sense to me. They have released the Genesis Sonic 1 and their Smash Pack on the GBA. Plus it is a quick way to make money. If it includes a the Genesis Sonics, or even the Gamegear/Master System games it would be fun. Yea they are emulated on the NDS with a flash cart but it would be fun to see what they do with it. If they use emulation then it would be interesting to see how they handle the difference in resolution and sound. If they reprogram some of the games then new content, levels, graphics, and such would be nice. Playing all the Sonic characters as mentioned would be great too. Especially if they allowed you to play them in games that originally didn't have those characters.

Sonny_Jim
November 23rd, 2009, 14:00
I'm Australian, and I'm calling bullcrap.

You are fully entitled to your opinion, but I'd like to refute some of your points:

There is no way in hell they're seriously doing this, unless they figure out how to reposition the GUI, even then, the games will be awkward with the 'borders'.

Erm, what GUI? WRT to screen size, I'm also curious to see how this is done. The Genesis/Megadrive emulators I've seen on the DS allow the screen to be panned, but seeing as this is a commerical product I don't think it's past Sega to write a good horizontal scaler.

I don't see them emulating the sound though, they'll do what they did with the previous collections I bet, just use prerecorded music (Assuming what I heard was true, if not, ignore this part).

Why not? The homebrew emulators can emulate sound without too much trouble (although it's not perfect). Remember Sega have big bucks to throw at this and it's not going to cost that much compared to developing a new game from scratch for a next gen console.

I just don't think Sega is doing this.
Then I think you are being overly pessimistic. Sega do not make hardware any more and they have a very large back catalogue to play with. Sonic is still a very strong brand for them and most people I know prefer the older Sonics to the new ones. Look what Ninty did with Mario, they went back to basics and everyone loved it.

EDIT: Oh look, it seems even the BBFC has been caught up in this 'hoax':
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/e8ea0df3a881175480256d58003cb570/e071fc27bafa43468025766b0043334a?OpenDocument

Eviltaco64
November 23rd, 2009, 21:24
Why not? The homebrew emulators can emulate sound without too much trouble (although it's not perfect). Remember Sega have big bucks to throw at this and it's not going to cost that much compared to developing a new game from scratch for a next gen console.

Sega's never been too great at emulating things to be honest.

I know their PSP collection uses .WAV files instead of truly emulating sound. :P

Qmark
November 23rd, 2009, 22:07
Wouldn't a collection of SMS and gamegear games be slightly more appropriate for DS?