PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto Responds To Rival Motion Controllers

wraggster
November 23rd, 2009, 19:10
Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has told ONM that the games industry could lose its 'uniqueness' when Microsoft and Sony launch their own motion controllers.

When asked if Wii had now lost its unique selling point, Miyamoto replied: "Well, I should say that it could be taken as a compliment if others are following suit, by saying Nintendo was right in choosing a certain direction. But if you ask me if that is going to be good for the entire business, I really don't know."

"If everyone else is going to do exactly the same thing, unfortunately in this entertainment business that means less uniqueness, and uniqueness is what Nintendo has tried to realise."

However, Miyamoto was keen to stress that the emergence of rival motion controllers isn't something for Nintendo or its fans to worry about. "We don't look to the future in one direction only," he said. "When you say that one element of our uniqueness might have been lost, you don't really have to be concerned about that, because Nintendo always tries to find something new. I hope you are looking forward to our challenge to discover this new uniqueness!"

So it looks as if Nintendo is still aiming to stand out from the crowd with its next console? What do you think Nintendo's next console should do?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=13425

Qmark
November 23rd, 2009, 22:50
Nintendo consoles are for playing Nintendo games.

That's the selling point by itself.

XDelusion
November 24th, 2009, 07:15
I agree, though I could still go for a VR helmet, regardless if they make you want to vomit or not.

Qmark
November 24th, 2009, 07:24
though I could still go for a VR helmetThey tried that once.
It did not end well. (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/30755)

Jay6
November 24th, 2009, 17:48
We have better technology now though... but then again, I can't see it doing much better. most people would probably just prefer playing on a TV screen rather than looking like an idiot while playing a game.

AuroEdge
November 24th, 2009, 23:40
Seems to me they could try the producing quality games uniqueness approach. WiiWare is a flop and forget about most non Mario/Zelda games!