PDA

View Full Version : PSP Pspectrum version 1.0.4

SmashinGit
June 11th, 2006, 18:17
HexDump (http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/exkq/pspectrum/homeeng.html)has released a new version of Spectrum emulator for the psp. Here's a quote,

New PsPectrum 1.0.4 available. Get it in downloads section. This version comes with a buch of new things such AY-3 emulation, Savestates, etc...

Cheers, and happy pspectruming :D,

HexDump.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Hungry Horace
June 12th, 2006, 03:44
d'oh!!

SmashingGit - wish you'd told me you posted this... Hex asked me to so i did too!

oh well.. might as well paste in the bit from the other thread so as to give the less speccy-knowing peeps on here a full low-down on the great emulator that is! *

You now all know that v1.04 of the ZX Spectrum emulator PsPectrum has just been released, and attached is some bonus background info.

You can now download it from the link above, and there are no worries about downloading any "bios roms" this time, as ZX Spectrum roms are the *only* roms legally allowed to be shared - if you dont believe this, do some research on World of Spectrum (http://worldofspectrum.org/) where you can read the following statement:

Amstrad, the current owners of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, allow free distribution of the ZX Spectrum ROMs.
(See the message from Amstrad as posted in comp.sys.sinclair for the details)
Therefore, emulation of the machine is not illegal (as opposed to nearly all other computers that are emulated these days).

This of course does not include games "roms" - In the case of the Spectrum these are snapshots or Spectrum "Tape" files (TZX or TAPs) - although World of Spectrum have gone to very good lengths to find permission for a lot of games to be freely distributed. Notable "denied" games include some movie tie-in games, some arcade conversions and those games by Ultimate - Play the Game (now known as "Rare Ltd")

Most games are now distributed legally in TAP or TZX format which are now supported by PsPectrum! Games can also be loaded as .SNA or .Z80 snapshot formats, or any of the aforementioned formats contain with a ZIP file. TAP or "tape" files are the best supported format to use, since these allow for true-tape emulation, and the loading of multi-load (repeated tape access) games, whilst also being the most reliable.

This is an excellent emulator, which once again has some even greater additions since it's last 0.22 release.

Some of the great features of v1.04
Full or enlarged screen-sizes though graphics stretching.
Custom Keyboard assignment - to allow you to map any keyboard combo to the d-pad and Square button controls.
Multiple-button assignment, to allow keys to be mapped to more PSP buttons such as X, Triangle etc.
Screen snapshot function - to snapshot a screen of a game which is displayed in the game-loading browser.
Individual game-configuration save fucntion - to allow you to save the screenmode / key assignments which you have set upfor playing a particular game. This comes in very handy for those games which have 4+ unique keys to assign.
Emulation core changed from HexDump's own code over to that of the Fuse emulator.
Support for TAP / TZX / Z80 / SNA and ZIP file formats.
Display now includes Speccy Border ermulation!
AY3-8912 chip (128k sound) support
Memory Poker for cheating on all those games! (no more traffic on Horace Goes Skiing!!)
Lots of careful bug-fixing and tidying on the OSK, File-Selector and more!

Some other stuff forgotten for now :p

voodoofish
June 12th, 2006, 09:02
Really looking forward to getting this on the PSP - thanks for all the hard work :D

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 12th, 2006, 12:53
Great release good to see the inclusion of save states.LOL nothing worse then playing for ages and cant save.

Amiga
June 12th, 2006, 18:38
these emulator releases are the only thing keeping me interested in keeping my psp.:)

Hungry Horace
June 18th, 2006, 18:14
hmm.. this thread should really be linked to from the psp-news page.... i currently goes to the 0.2 version.

wouldnt want people missing out on a top-drawer emulator like this one!

SmashinGit
June 18th, 2006, 22:46
As the last build of this great spectrum emulator was based on the Fuse emulator for windows, under the license HexDump has now released the source code. You can download it from his website.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/exkq/pspectrum/index.html

Takuto
June 19th, 2006, 07:43
Hi guys. I have one question - how one suppose to execute this emulator on PSP? Archive doesnt include standard pair of directories, and I cant make second EBOOT with KXPLOIT tool, it gives some error 8(
Can you help me and other fans of Speccy, or maybe direct me to other place where I can get help?

ACID
June 19th, 2006, 07:49
all you need is pbp unpacker and it will create the folders.

mr_nick666
June 19th, 2006, 08:54
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D (Infinite lives Manic Miner!) :p

Hungry Horace
June 19th, 2006, 14:13
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :D (Infinite lives Manic Miner!) :p

cheating bugger.

i can make it to the Skylab level before i die... there's no need for infinite lives!

mr_nick666
June 19th, 2006, 16:59
cheating bugger.

i can make it to the Skylab level before i die... there's no need for infinite lives!

Ive got to admit that I can too! :p Thats where the trouble starts though! Been playing this game since 1983 and I still lose all (or all bar 1) on this damn level! :eek: I just want the chance to try and survive the Solar Power Generator! :rolleyes:

Takuto
June 19th, 2006, 21:10
all you need is pbp unpacker and it will create the folders.

Erm. Looks like you wrong or I just dont get it.

AFAIK PSP 1.5 homebrew must be placed onto memory stick in 2 folders - HOMEBREW and HOMEBREW%, so in one of these you have app, and into other you have "fake" PBP, which allows to cheat PSP firmware.

Whats my point is - this (1.0.4) release of Speccy emulator dont have such folders and fake PBP inside of distro archive. Moreover, I cant create them by KXPLOIT tool (which is universal way to do it). And your "pbp unpacker" gives error "Illegal PBP", when Im trying to open PBP from distro, so thats not the right tool also. And yes, my archive not broken, redownloaded three times.

So, I see two possibilites:
1. Im totally losing the point and there are some new ways and standards to run homebrew on PSP, so call me stupid and give me info, or
2. Author is distributing broken/incomplete release and nobody except me is trying to run it.

Which is one?

UPD: Ok, after some digging at author site forum and messing with Babelfish I managed to run it. Distro of 1.0.4 really broken, but it can be used if installed over ver 0.2, in same folders. Just overwrite old files with new.

mr_nick666
June 20th, 2006, 08:37
Erm. Looks like you wrong or I just dont get it.

AFAIK PSP 1.5 homebrew must be placed onto memory stick in 2 folders - HOMEBREW and HOMEBREW%, so in one of these you have app, and into other you have "fake" PBP, which allows to cheat PSP firmware.

Whats my point is - this (1.0.4) release of Speccy emulator dont have such folders and fake PBP inside of distro archive. Moreover, I cant create them by KXPLOIT tool (which is universal way to do it). And your "pbp unpacker" gives error "Illegal PBP", when Im trying to open PBP from distro, so thats not the right tool also. And yes, my archive not broken, redownloaded three times.

So, I see two possibilites:
1. Im totally losing the point and there are some new ways and standards to run homebrew on PSP, so call me stupid and give me info, or
2. Author is distributing broken/incomplete release and nobody except me is trying to run it.

Which is one?

UPD: Ok, after some digging at author site forum and messing with Babelfish I managed to run it. Distro of 1.0.4 really broken, but it can be used if installed over ver 0.2, in same folders. Just overwrite old files with new.

PM me your email and I'll send you a 1.5 working version! ;)

Takuto
June 20th, 2006, 08:56
PM me your email and I'll send you a 1.5 working version! ;)

Thanks for suggestion. Im already solved this mystery 8)

Now Im trying to understand, how to run TRD images, if possible.

mr_nick666
June 20th, 2006, 10:20
Thanks for suggestion. Im already solved this mystery 8)

Now Im trying to understand, how to run TRD images, if possible.

I was going to send you to http://www.forumcommunity.net/?c=25569
but when I went there I noticed you were logged onto the forum already! :eek:

If you use a regular PC Spectrum emulator most of them support "save as" so you can convert your files that way! :)

Bassman007
July 23rd, 2006, 01:23
hey all this might be a stupid question but how do you assign the keys to specific buttons on the psp with this emulator??

any ideas?

Vega
July 23rd, 2006, 14:38
I had this emu for a few days... then it stopped working ("game could not be started" message). I thought it was maybe because i took alot of screenshots... but when i removed them.. I still had the same problem. Any info? However, great emu. Used to love the ZX when i was 4 and 5. Thanks

Slyder
September 10th, 2006, 12:09
HexDump (http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/exkq/pspectrum/homeeng.html)has released a new version of Spectrum emulator for the psp. Here's a quote,

New PsPectrum 1.0.4 available. Get it in downloads section. This version comes with a buch of new things such AY-3 emulation, Savestates, etc...

Cheers, and happy pspectruming :D,

HexDump.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Getting annoyed now. I downloaded this a few times and it says v0.2 on my psp. :confused:

Im assuming 1.0.4 is newer but where can I download the standard 2 folders that I use on my 1.5 psp. I tried downloading the 1.0.4 version of the offical site but it was just a load of source files that wouldnt do anything.

Please help a noob out and post a full working version with the standard 2 folders, or link to a detailed readme on how to convert the source files.

mr_nick666
September 10th, 2006, 12:55
Getting annoyed now. I downloaded this a few times and it says v0.2 on my psp. :confused:

Im assuming 1.0.4 is newer but where can I download the standard 2 folders that I use on my 1.5 psp. I tried downloading the 1.0.4 version of the offical site but it was just a load of source files that wouldnt do anything.

Please help a noob out and post a full working version with the standard 2 folders, or link to a detailed readme on how to convert the source files.

PM me your email and I'll send you the files! :) This is a superb emulator! ;)

Hungry Horace
September 10th, 2006, 16:51
slyder : it says 0.2 but it's just that the eboot in the pspectrum% folder needs updating... the actual program IS 1.0.4

i made one myself which you can download here:

http://www.djcresswell.com/speccyonline/eboot.zip

Slyder
September 10th, 2006, 16:58
PM me your email and I'll send you the files! :) This is a superb emulator! ;)

I tried pm'ing you but I got an error message. I think I have to make about 5 posts or something. :confused:

Anyways, I updated my profile to accept emails from other users on this board. Hope thats ok ?

Vega
November 28th, 2006, 19:27
Got this one working (think I made a silly mistake back then) and must say, very impressed.
So is discussion about Roms ok? As in where to find some games? Im not sure if it is freely distrubuted... but I can find a freakin dump of "Egghead" anywhere! damn it.
But anyways... as near perfection as this emu is... are we gonna see any updates of this fine piece of work anytime soon?

mr_nick666
November 28th, 2006, 20:09
Got this one working (think I made a silly mistake back then) and must say, very impressed.
So is discussion about Roms ok? As in where to find some games? Im not sure if it is freely distrubuted... but I can find a freakin dump of "Egghead" anywhere! damn it.
But anyways... as near perfection as this emu is... are we gonna see any updates of this fine piece of work anytime soon?

Egghead is (strangely) still a copyrighted game :( Ive PMed you a good place for Speccy games though :) Check out the PSpectrum website at http://www.forumcommunity.net/?c=25569 for the latest news :p There is a brand new version in the offing (new graphics (by me!), new GUI, new, new, new, you get the picture!) :D

Vega
November 29th, 2006, 08:31
Awesome stuff Mr.Nick . . . thanks alot :D

SmashinGit
November 29th, 2006, 12:01
HexDump, Mr Nick, Hungry Horace and brcu have been working exceptionally hard for the next release. The next release should be awsome.

Baboon
November 29th, 2006, 12:10
Looking forward to some updates on this one (its pretty much spot on anyway)!

Behind The Trap Door, Horrace goes Skiing and Robocop are my current favs on this emu. :)