PDA

View Full Version : DS games know their hardware?

wraggster
June 12th, 2006, 21:08
Reports are coming in that some DS games might know whether they are being played on a DS Lite as seen in the above video. When starting Mario Kart DS on the original DS, notice Mario's "Yahoo!" as compared with his DS Lite's "Here we go!"

Via Joystick (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/12/d/)

Shilo
June 12th, 2006, 23:46
Ya, it's kinda like the GBC and the GBA. If I remeber correctly, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons has a speacial shop when you played it on a GBA. This is just another reason to get a DS Lite!

inde
June 12th, 2006, 23:58
nah this is false he says both on my ds v1
infact most the time he says here we go and ocassionally says yahoo.

V3N0M
June 12th, 2006, 23:59
Very odd maby this technology could be used to prevent a DS game from working on a homebrew inabled DS. Wait and see i guess...BTW i'm getting a DS lite in a week or so.

daninski
June 13th, 2006, 02:39
it says yahoo on my dslite.

karurosu
June 13th, 2006, 17:07
It probably can detect the HW (especially if they want to add some xtra options like NDSlite brightness control). But as far as I know mario says both yahoo and here we go in my v1 NDS.

jojotjuh
August 29th, 2006, 18:51
it sayd both on my old v2 ds but since i have a v5 phat ds it only says yahoo (v5 is equal to ds lites firmware and the brightness can be done with flashme v7)

zanysmash
August 29th, 2006, 19:00
both on dslite

jojotjuh
September 25th, 2006, 16:56
i have a other theory: when i run my official cart it always says here we go but when i run from supercard it says always on me yahoo. is it mean they know you are run forom flash cart?

TranceFormer
September 27th, 2006, 05:56
Mine actually says Yahoo on my old style DS and Here we go on the DS Lite. At first, I thought it had something to do with beating the game (I tried my cart and a friends); I don't understand how MKDS would differentiate the DS Lite though because it came out before it.

nights0223
September 27th, 2006, 09:11
Nintendo still was developing the DS lite when the game came out. They could have easily added that feature.

Wait...why did you resurrect such an old and useless topic?