PDA

View Full Version : PicoDriveDS 0.1.3 (Genesis Emulator for Nintendo DS)

wraggster
June 14th, 2006, 04:48
Ryan FB (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90) has updated his Genesis Emulator for the Nintendo DS:

PicoDriveDS 0.1.3 is up! Changes:

Added long filename support

Added support for going up a directory by pressing B

Added support for skipping ahead/back 5 files at a time with R/L

Added automatic save/load SRAM support
Files are the same place as before or you can use the handy new release directories to be sure.

The SRAM feature is not the same thing as savestates. Basically it emulates a Genesis cart's internal Save RAM, and whenever the SRAM is written to it writes out (romname).srm. When you load a game, it looks to see if that SRAM file is there and loads it if so.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

deedark
June 14th, 2006, 10:09
cool, just need to improve compatibility and add sound support...

Vegetable
June 14th, 2006, 10:59
Man. Come on, we need sound!

jp.jones
June 14th, 2006, 13:08
Again, I was elated and then disappointed at the same time. If anyone has gotten this to work on hardware using G6 Flashcart 2G please advise how ya did it! Thanks for the continued releases Ryan FB!!!!

basilb
June 14th, 2006, 15:49
supercard sd ftw

Hokusai
June 14th, 2006, 23:11
What's the speed for this emu?:confused:

Vegetable
June 15th, 2006, 01:58
What's the speed for this emu?:confused:

Good.

Heh.

DarkworldPrince
June 15th, 2006, 13:08
You guys do understand that no versions of picodrive have sound? I honestly don't think they'll ever get any games to work properly with sound. the zodiac had enough trouble running genesis games with it. the ds hardly has a chance unless someone has alot of time, knowledge and patience to tweak it.

Junixx
June 15th, 2006, 17:00
even though is running at a prett decent speed right now, the speed will need to increase before sound id added i think, the DS has 2 processors, and if im correct, one of them isnt being used right now, so it is acctaully possible to get games working fine with sound, it will just take time like you had said

DimensionT
June 15th, 2006, 17:19
Why is DarkworldPrince so against Genesis emulation on the DS? Even if it doesn't every support sound or load every game, it's still Genesis on the DS (which is freaking awesome).

Also, it's on version 0.1.3 still, man. Just wait it out, as all good things come with time.

@CPU Smarts:

I thought it was using only one CPU (don't know why). That's some good news!

EDIT: I forgot to thank Ryan_FB again for the awesome emulator. Keep up the good work, man.
The Pocket Heaven forums have a lot of info on SnesDS that I think might help you (syncing both CPUs and stuff). Alot of the people there are eager to help as well.

MasterMan
June 15th, 2006, 19:35
@DarkworlPrince: RyanFB said it himself on GBAdev board.

Ryan FB,

Do you see sound with decent gameplay speed in the future of PicodriveDS?

Is it possible?

Possible, yes. As to when, I couldn't tell you, but these things take time.
If he sais it's possible, i wouldn't doubt.

About the processor,s thing. I bet if the emulator's currently using only ARM9 for everything, ARM7 would be free for all of the sound routines, wich can be enough.
Erm... Zodiac has these 2 processors too?

scrabbus
June 15th, 2006, 20:21
I think DarkworldPrince needs to have a little study time!! Opinions are one thing, biased uneducated ones are another thing alltogether.

Junixx
June 16th, 2006, 04:19
no a zodiac has one ARM9 processor clocked at 200Mhz

DarkworldPrince
June 16th, 2006, 14:02
Scrabbus, please don't say that I need more education on this topic without a followup reason.

I am, quite confidently, more knowledgable than most people here on the handheld scene.

I've been part of the handheld homebrew scene since the gba's began to take off. I know my apples. You all jumped on my post like I had given some sort of fanboy opinion.

67 mhz is not enough to run a genesis emulator. Hell. 160 or so mhz was necessary for the GP32 to run DRMD. Do prove me wrong though. I will GLADLY eat my words if I can stick genesis games on my M3 someday soon and play them with cheats and state saves. I might even get to play landstalker! The PSP is frickin useless for any isometric 3d title using that d-pad.

zac_531
June 16th, 2006, 16:20
Wow! Even better! Sonic and knuckles will soon be mine.

DimensionT
June 16th, 2006, 18:05
Just wanted to give an apology to Darkworld. Didn't mean to attack you. Though, you saying this emulator is "impossible" could be taken the same way by the author as mine and other posts were by you.

All of us want this to work, and doubting it will isn't going to make it work any faster.

EDIT: With sound and save states, as it works pretty good already.

scrabbus
June 16th, 2006, 19:22
look, look, what I should have said mr prince is that your opinions did look somewhat , well...biased, but thank you for the reply!! I do however believe that the DS is more than capable of handling the Megadrive., but look at it this way why are we wasting time arguing here? LETS ALL JUST GET BEHIND THE CODERS!!!!

scrabbus
June 16th, 2006, 19:23
ok?

DarkworldPrince
June 17th, 2006, 12:05
haha... sounds good :P

I'm more likely to humph my DS around with me everywhere cos it can take alot more damage than the psp.

Just to let you all know btw, I got my M3 perfect through yesterday. I loved my supercard, but... well. I *really* want to play gba games... and I was getting riled up about save issues and slowdown and things. I can honestly say that the M3 is absolutely incredible. What a system!!! Even all emulators work for me now! and not those awful little GBA ones! NesDS really is a bit good ;)

Gave Picodrive a shot, and it's really coming along! almost as good as LJZ on zodiac! Not tried Snezzi yet, but even if I can only get a few games working. I can still put the rest on my psp.

I just splashed out and bought a 360 :P hehe... I have too many consoles....