PDA

View Full Version : Review: XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0

bandit
December 1st, 2009, 16:44
XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0
Manufacturer: XCM
Site: Buy from Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-38tr-71-zq-77-1-49-en-15-cross+battle-84-j-70-3ljt.html) / Buy from ConsoleSource (http://www.consolesource.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=123) / Buy from Amazon (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SGG6A2?ie=UTF8&tag=dcre-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SGG6A2)
Price: $69.99

http://xcm.cc/Cross%20battle%20adapter%202.0.s.jpg

Overview : The famous Cross Battle Adapter now comes in a new version, 2.0, with new functions to swap all your controller's functions!

The Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is an adapter to allow you to connect your Xbox 360 wired controller to your PS3 console for use with PS3 games.

The XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is built with a new function for swapping the controller’s triggers and bumpers. You can also swap the functions of A, B, X, Y buttons (Example: Set the function of A button to the X button or set the function of B button to the Y button, etc) and swap the functions of 2 analog sticks as well! The PS3 Six Axis mode and rumble function are also supported. The best adapter in the industry just got better!

Features:

Compatible with ALL PlayStation consoles and models.
Requires the wired Xbox 360 controller.
Built in Rapid Fire / Turbo for each button with independant controls.
Easy to Use - Just Plug and Play!
Quality/Usability : This review is an update to the XCM Cross Battle Adapter (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/review-xcm-cross-battle-adapter-184975.html). There is also a Cross Battle Adapter PLUS that supported rumble that was released after the original CBA.

Comparing the two Cross Battle Adapter, there is a big cosmetic change. The Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 comes in a purple casing with a clear purple back. The front has a big backlit LED "XCM" logo with toggle switches. Like the original CBA, the switches are for the TURBO function. Each switch is also labeled to tell you what each buttons are. For instance, the [X] button on the PS3 is the [A] button the 360. The R1 button on the PS3 is the RB on the 360.

To connect the CBA 2.0, plug the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 into the PS3 console and the LED "XCM" logo will start flashing blue. After plugging in the Xbox 360 wired controller (yes, you must use a wired controller) and the blue LED will stop flashing and stay lit.

Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 gives you the ability to use the tilt functionality. But its not what you think. There is no motion or tilt sensitivity. Instead, if you switch the TILT button to "L" on the CBA2.0, the function of the LEFT analog stick of the 360 will now replace the PS3 controller's tilt function instead of its own function. If you switch to "R", it will take the function of the PS3's tilt function. If you dont want the tilt function at all, leave it on "N". So if you have it set on "L" or "R", you lose the original function of the analog stick.

The CBA 2.0 allows you to swap buttons. You can swap the A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, RT, LT, RC, LC, START, BACK and Directional Pad. An example is to switch the A and B button. Press the "S" button and the LED indicator will light up, then press the B button and the indicator will stop blinking. When you press the A button, the light of the LED indicator will turn off. This means the swapping procedure is complete and the B button now has the function of the A. If you want the A button to have the function of the B, simply repeat the steps above but change buttons.

To get back the original button settings, simply press the "S" button and the LED indicator will light up. Press the A button and the indicator will start to blink. Press the A button again and the light indicator will turn off.

To swap analog sticks, press the "S" button and the indicator will light up. Press any direction of the RIGHT analog stick and the indicator will turn off. To get back the original function, just repeat the steps. The easiest way to get back all the original functions is to press and hold the "S" button for 3 seconds. The LED indicator will blink quickly and all functions will be set back to their original function.

HRwhdqiqCqU

Here is a video of the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 working on the new PS3 Slim:

emIhrG79xE0

With the lit XCM logo and "S" button indicator, swapping/remapping buttons and confirmation is much easier to notice. Like the Cross Battle Adapter PLUS, rumble is also available on 2.0.

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is a big improvement over the original Cross Battle Adapter (we didnt have the chance to review CBA PLUS since the only difference was that it had rumble available). However, I dont know how much of a use the tilt feature will come in handy. I didnt use it much considering I'm use to using the analog stick. For others they may prefer it. The swapping of buttons is a great addition which gives gamers the ability to configure button layouts to their liking. Unfortunately, you still need to use a wired controller. When I mean wired, I dont mean a wireless controller with the USB cable attached to it. This the only drawback to the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0.

Images via comments

lovemetal626
December 1st, 2009, 21:18
awesome review thanks a bunch :)

how was the quality of the unit though?
i mean quality of operation and not build.

meaning was there any lag? does it still have bugs?

also, if i turn the Tilt function to R (right thumb stick) does this mean that thumb stick is forever used for tilt?

or is it when the game needs tilt function, the R thumb stick then turns into the tilt, and after your done it goes back to normal?

thanks again! ive already placed my order at playasia, very excited, and i got uncharted 2!

bandit
December 3rd, 2009, 23:18
awesome review thanks a bunch :)

how was the quality of the unit though?
i mean quality of operation and not build.

meaning was there any lag? does it still have bugs?
I personally did not have a problem.

also, if i turn the Tilt function to R (right thumb stick) does this mean that thumb stick is forever used for tilt?

or is it when the game needs tilt function, the R thumb stick then turns into the tilt, and after your done it goes back to normal?
No, it is not permanent or "forever" used for tilt. When you need to use tilt function using thumbstick, you flip the switch. When you dont need the tilt at all, you flip the switch to "N"

thanks again! ive already placed my order at playasia, very excited, and i got uncharted 2!
Thanks. Please remember to use the links to purchase your products. This will help us continuously get new products and review it.

Korjyan
December 10th, 2009, 09:29
Thanks for the review. I have another question though:

I once ordered the Cross Battle Adapter Plus with Rumble but unfortunately had to send it back because the thumb sticks didn't work properly in Uncharted. I was always just walking (instead of running) when moving forwards like the thumb stick was only being pressed very lightly. So I could never run in the game and only slowly walk all the time.

Has this been fixed as well? Do you own Uncharted and can test it maybe?

N884Drytrip
December 10th, 2009, 22:34
I have had the same problem in metal gear solid 4 and ghost recon adv. warfighter 2, except the character slows to a walk when I push the stick in the diagonal directions (NW, NE, SW, SE). I have kept it because it works fine in other games. I assumed it was the same with all the battle adapter 2.0s but maybe I just got a bad one and should return it.

bandit
December 12th, 2009, 13:56
Thanks for the review. I have another question though:

I once ordered the Cross Battle Adapter Plus with Rumble but unfortunately had to send it back because the thumb sticks didn't work properly in Uncharted. I was always just walking (instead of running) when moving forwards like the thumb stick was only being pressed very lightly. So I could never run in the game and only slowly walk all the time.

I have had the same problem in metal gear solid 4 and ghost recon adv. warfighter 2, except the character slows to a walk when I push the stick in the diagonal directions (NW, NE, SW, SE). I have kept it because it works fine in other games. I assumed it was the same with all the battle adapter 2.0s but maybe I just got a bad one and should return it.
It could have been a defect or a flaw in CBA PLUS. Unfortunately, I dont own Uncharted anymore. I play and trade my games on Goozex (US (http://www.goozex.com/go.asp?ref=dcemu.co.uk&target=/trading)/EU (http://www.goozex.eu/go.asp?ref=www.dcemu.co.uk&target=/trading)).

I havent had any problems with CBA 2.0 thus far.

Pebkac
February 9th, 2010, 12:16
Sorry to bump, but I bought one of these the other day and I want to know if I'm going crazy or not!

It all works fine mostly, however there seems to be a small but annoying acceleration issue when looking right with the analog stick. I'm hoping someone who also has one of these can check this and tell me if it's a common bug, or my unit is faulty.

Here's how to replicate (I was using Battlefield Bad Company 2 demo, but is same in other FPSs I tried):

When in a fist person shooter slowly nudge the right stick to the right (ie. spin around clock-wise), starting off just a little, then push it more and more to the far right.

THis should result in a smooth acceleration from turning around slowly to turning around quickly. However, with the Cross battle adapter there seems to be an issue where at some point it goes from turning slowly to turning around super fast, even though the stick isn't fully tilted to the right yet.

I hope that made sense. The weird thing is it DOESN'T do this when nudging the stick to the left to turn counter-clockwise!

I have checked the controller on an xbox to make sure it wasn't the controller' fault, but turning is smooth so I don't think there is any issue with the controller. Acceleration is also smooth with a PS3 controller so I know it's not the game itself.

I would really appreciate the help as I'd like to know if I should send it back for a replacement. If someone can try this out with their own cross battle I would be eternally grateful!

sturmen
February 15th, 2010, 02:25
bandit -
Do you know if the trigger function is analog or digital? Basically, when I press lightly on my Xbox 360 controller's trigger, does the PS3 register a light press? Or is it full all the time? Thanks.

levis315
March 9th, 2010, 08:41
very well, i do like it!

bandit
March 17th, 2010, 13:18
bandit -
Do you know if the trigger function is analog or digital? Basically, when I press lightly on my Xbox 360 controller's trigger, does the PS3 register a light press? Or is it full all the time? Thanks.
Digital

Chiyo18
August 27th, 2010, 23:41
i just recently got the xcom off ebay and was trying it with GT5 Prologue.

i changed it so the left and right triggers were break and throttle, but when i use them there's no longer any subtle changes. there's only full on stop or go.

is there any way to get the analog function back for those buttons? i don't want to use the bumpers for rancing games >>

thanks in advance for any help.

FRANKO-CRO
September 10th, 2010, 12:07
I have a question: can i swap RT with A button? I want to play some racing games like Burnout Paradise or Split Second,but acceleration in those games is strictly on RT right trigger. I was raised on Gran Turismo kind of controls,X -acceleration,circle or cube-brakes.I'll get this XCM cross battle adapter 2.0 immediately,if its possible to put acceleration on A button. THANKS

FRANKO-CRO
September 10th, 2010, 12:13
@chiyo18 please can you send me an answer if you know??? THANKS

bandit
September 10th, 2010, 14:22
I have a question: can i swap RT with A button? I want to play some racing games like Burnout Paradise or Split Second,but acceleration in those games is strictly on RT right trigger. I was raised on Gran Turismo kind of controls,X -acceleration,circle or cube-brakes.I'll get this XCM cross battle adapter 2.0 immediately,if its possible to put acceleration on A button. THANKS
As shown on our YouTube page, the video from XCM shows that you can swap buttons

HRwhdqiqCqU

FRANKO-CRO
September 10th, 2010, 17:43
Thanks again Bandit!!!!

roblarosa
September 20th, 2010, 19:48
It all works fine mostly, however there seems to be a small but annoying acceleration issue when looking right with the analog stick. I'm hoping someone who also has one of these can check this and tell me if it's a common bug, or my unit is faulty.

THis should result in a smooth acceleration from turning around slowly to turning around quickly. However, with the Cross battle adapter there seems to be an issue where at some point it goes from turning slowly to turning around super fast, even though the stick isn't fully tilted to the right yet.

I was just looking online to see if I had a faulty unit or if this was a typical problem. I have the EXACT same problem. It happens in MW2 and Bad Company 2. I've tried it with two different wired XBox 360 controllers with the same result.

I'm bummed because now I'm thinking that this is just a flaw in the design of the XCM unit.

pedrovsk
December 13th, 2010, 17:44

It could have been a defect or a flaw in CBA PLUS. Unfortunately, I dont own Uncharted anymore. I play and trade my games on Goozex (US (http://www.goozex.com/go.asp?ref=dcemu.co.uk&target=/trading)/EU (http://www.goozex.eu/go.asp?ref=www.dcemu.co.uk&target=/trading)).

I havent had any problems with CBA 2.0 thus far.

I just got CBA 2.0 and tested it so far in MGS4, Uncharted 2 and Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2. I confirm this no longer happens in Uncharted 2 BUT it still does when you tilt the thumbstick to the top left (NW), even at full. I suspect this might be an "incompatibility" between the X360 controller itself, XCM and the games. I think that because when I plug the X360 controller in my PC and run calibration I see the crosshair for the L analog doesn't reach the top left corner of the box as far as the top right corner of it.

Also in MGS4 Snake will walk instead of running when you tilt NW as well. Curiously it never does it on NE, but can do it at SW and SE sometimes.

bandit do you have MGS4 that you could test this for me? I just want to know if either my controller or XCM are at fault. I'm going to send you a PM (hope you don't mind), because I have about 3 more days to test this before I can ask for a refund/replacement. I took some time to start testing it because I still hadn't a wired 360 controller at the time I received the XCM :/

Sorry to bump, but I bought one of these the other day and I want to know if I'm going crazy or not!

Here's how to replicate (I was using Battlefield Bad Company 2 demo, but is same in other FPSs I tried):

When in a fist person shooter slowly nudge the right stick to the right (ie. spin around clock-wise), starting off just a little, then push it more and more to the far right.

I hope that made sense. The weird thing is it DOESN'T do this when nudging the stick to the left to turn counter-clockwise!

I have checked the controller on an xbox to make sure it wasn't the controller' fault, but turning is smooth so I don't think there is any issue with the controller. Acceleration is also smooth with a PS3 controller so I know it's not the game itself.

I would really appreciate the help as I'd like to know if I should send it back for a replacement. If someone can try this out with their own cross battle I would be eternally grateful!

Same happens to me in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 when walking/running around Adventure Mode. Naruto never walks to the right, he just runs, no matter how slow I tilt. No biggie, but just used it as a test. The same happens in Assassin's Creed, but you can still walk very slowly.