PDA

View Full Version : PSPgo to get UMD drive add-on?

wraggster
December 2nd, 2009, 18:25
Third party peripheral company Logitech is working on a UMD drive add-on for the PSPgo, a source has told CVG.

Neither a price or release date was given, but we were told that the device will plug into the PSPgo, allowing users to play their UMD games on the portable.

"The only problem is that it'll make the PSP a little bulky", said our source.

Logitech's UK office told CVG: "We're not aware of it, so it may be something the US office is working on." We're awaiting a response from it and Sony.

PSPgo is able to store and play games from either its internal memory or a memory stick. The news remains rumour for now, but if true, we imagine a UMD reader would insert into the PSPgo's memory stick port on the left side of the console, as did some hard disk add-ons that were released for the older PSP models.

Developer talk at the Tokyo Game Show in September hinted of a plan by Sony to release another iteration of the handheld, a PSP-4000 that would support Sony's UMD format, for release in 2010.

The lack of a UMD drive is, among other things, a widely criticised aspect of the new PSPgo, rendering built up collections of UMD games useless for its owners, who'll have paid a whooping £225 for the pleasure.

We'll keep you informed on this.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228684

symbal
December 2nd, 2009, 20:35
And what if Sony gives Logitech permission to do this then decides later to fw block it ala Microsoft?

osgeld
December 2nd, 2009, 21:01
I hope it happens, it should be pretty easy to hack onto a pc then

Art
December 2nd, 2009, 21:19
Crapola. Who's the source.. some kids from school?

How it would be possible for a third party to make a device that can launch executeables without an exploit?
The external device would also need supporting firmware. Again... not happening without an exploit.

ICE
December 2nd, 2009, 22:45
Crapola. Who's the source.. some kids from school?

How it would be possible for a third party to make a device that can launch executeables without an exploit?
The external device would also need supporting firmware. Again... not happening without an exploit.

I agree. This doesn't happen without Sony support and if Sony wanted this they'd be making the add-on, not Logitech.

koh-kun
December 3rd, 2009, 02:03
Screw UMD drives, I still want a keyboard.

PSPdemon
December 3rd, 2009, 15:09
This is exactly like the rumor of logitech making a keyboard addon for psp way back when ir keyboards started taking off...

I seriously doubt this will happen but I guess we will see in time to come.

fpcreator2000
December 3rd, 2009, 16:28
If Sony wants to impress me then they should go the way of the Android phones with a little Apple and Sony twist.

What does this mean? A real app and game store, touch screen, dpad and face buttons for gaming (whether slide out or not is up to them, and a on-screen virtual qwerty. Built-in 32gb drive for all the apps with the ability for either micro sd or their own msproduo technology (as long as it can take memory cards with a limit of 32 gb (or whatever the technology can handle, the more the better). 500MB of memory.

A computer for the pocket (whether it is UMD, or no UMD? this does not matter).

This is what the PSP Go (the PSP overall) should have been.

Oh before I forget, built-in microphone, and auto-focus anti-jitter 5+ mega pixel camera.

For this I would gladly pay $300 USD for.