PDA

View Full Version : Can Bleem kill a Dreamcast?

sixtyten
June 15th, 2006, 17:19
Alright, I never really thought about this before, but, not too long ago my Dreamcast started having some troubles so I did the whole pot adjustment. Well, now I'm relatively worried about damaging the laser any further, and lately, I've been playing a lot of original PSX games using Bleem. My question is, does this have the potential to damage the Dreamcast? If so I might just buy a second Dreamcast and pop it in a Playstation case for kicks, if I could figure that out.

SSaxdude
June 15th, 2006, 18:02
I've heard that using backups on a Dreamcast is bad, I only hope this isn't true. Playing PS games using Bleem would have the same effect since they are on CD-rom discs.

sixtyten
June 16th, 2006, 00:23
The reason that playing backups is bad is because the data is organized differently for DC games, and it's on CD-R media which doesn't help. I'm talking 100% original PSX games.

Eric
June 16th, 2006, 13:53
PSone games are on a format that are like CD-R's so i can basically say that it wouldnt be any different but i dont know. Software is software people even those cheat hacking devices can mess up a video game system.

DCDayDreamer
June 16th, 2006, 21:43
A Bleemcast! disc would not cause any problems for your DC, it loads up and then you have to disc swap in your Playstation game, you don't have to worry about the Playstation disc either if it's an original, the reason?, they are both pressed discs.

Now take a pirate CDR of the same Playstation game and you could well be heading for trouble with your DC, exactly the same trouble you'll get with a pirate copy of a DC game!.

The whole 'are backups going to kill my DC?' discussion has been had over and over on many forums, with the same crap going around and around, the simple rule is get decent media and burn at the lowest speed possible. You are bound to get some flippin' idiot telling you that the DC has a stronger laser than the Playstation so you can burn at high speeds without any problems, the idiot is correct in one sense only - the DC has a stronger laser but that's it!. The same flippin' idiot would go on and tell you that you only had to burn Playstation games at low speed because high speed burns caused FMV skips and game crashes on the Playstation, in fact the flippin' idiot had highlighted the problem to begin with....

If a weak Playstation laser struggles to read high speed burns then the laser needs to be stronger, if the laser was stronger then it will work harder to read the high speed burn!.

Slowly but surely - Simple isn't it!.

I could go on and explain about track wear which is the main cause of laser read problems but I've already dipped my toes into forbidden territory enough with my reply above, over and out!.

sixtyten
June 16th, 2006, 23:38
Perfect, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. I'll have nothing to worry about. Thanks!

cartmandude14
June 17th, 2006, 03:05
A Bleemcast! disc would not cause any problems for your DC, it loads up and then you have to disc swap in your Playstation game, you don't have to worry about the Playstation disc either if it's an original, the reason?, they are both pressed discs.

Now take a pirate CDR of the same Playstation game and you could well be heading for trouble with your DC, exactly the same trouble you'll get with a pirate copy of a DC game!.

The whole 'are backups going to kill my DC?' discussion has been had over and over on many forums, with the same crap going around and around, the simple rule is get decent media and burn at the lowest speed possible. You are bound to get some flippin' idiot telling you that the DC has a stronger laser than the Playstation so you can burn at high speeds without any problems, the idiot is correct in one sense only - the DC has a stronger laser but that's it!. The same flippin' idiot would go on and tell you that you only had to burn Playstation games at low speed because high speed burns caused FMV skips and game crashes on the Playstation, in fact the flippin' idiot had highlighted the problem to begin with....

If a weak Playstation laser struggles to read high speed burns then the laser needs to be stronger, if the laser was stronger then it will work harder to read the high speed burn!.

Slowly but surely - Simple isn't it!.

I could go on and explain about track wear which is the main cause of laser read problems but I've already dipped my toes into forbidden territory enough with my reply above, over and out!.
an a few backups really fry my DC's laser(most of mine are since i play them so much.. my old copies are breakin down.

Zion
June 17th, 2006, 03:35
No. Provided you use good quality media your DC's laser will be fine :p

SSaxdude
June 17th, 2006, 04:08
Man, I was kinda worrying that my Dreamcast would die because I use so many backups. But what can I do when every game store in town hates the Dreamcast and the only good games I don't own are Japanese?