PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP Robotic Store?

Kaiser
June 15th, 2006, 20:33
http://psp3d.com/sonybuy.png

I thought this was pretty interesting.

Ever in the need to pick up a quick birthday present while on the go, or grab a quick game fix while waiting for your flight at the airport? Looks like your cries for help have just been answered! Sony has just announced the new 'robotic stores' that they are testing and planning to releases around the US in strategic, high traffic locations.

At the moment, they are only testing these vending machines, so to speak, in Atlanta and Colorodo, but soon enough, we should start seeing these mini-malls popping up all over the US. Each station carries PSP units, games, accessories, and more; all of the items are lifted out and presented to you by a robotic arm, of course, after you have paid for the item by a credit or debit card. This is a pretty unique and futuristic idea Sony has up its sleeves, can't wait to see the 'robotic store' go gold in malls and airports all over!

Think other companies will follow suit or is this just a mistake on Sony's part?

Source-->PSP3D (http://psp3d.com/)

shadowprophet
June 15th, 2006, 20:40
A machine like this wouldnt last a day in my city.
It would be raided the first night by thives.

worst idea in history!!

Im off to sleep ~Night people.

SSaxdude
June 15th, 2006, 20:48
I bet that machine has horrible customer service.

mavsman4457
June 15th, 2006, 20:52
^ Hahahaha. Yah I bet it would be stolen from but you also gotta think that they would take steps to prevent that from happenning.

Physicist
June 15th, 2006, 21:19
reinforced lead outer casing and a titanium alloy sheild over the screen.

mib_
June 15th, 2006, 21:22
reinforced lead outer casing and a titanium alloy sheild over the screen.

then they would nick that just for the scrap value. :D

mat_dizzy
June 15th, 2006, 21:32
hmm, im getting a feeling sony are doing drugs and getting drunk as they havent got a clue!

im no way saying sony are bad but c'mon, who puts all that amount of valuble stuff in a glass cabinet open to anyone to nick...

quite intresting though, see how well it does :)

muffinman
June 15th, 2006, 21:35
well they re in airports so i guess there is quite a bit of secruity. Anyways its cool :p

mat_dizzy
June 15th, 2006, 21:45
suppose... yeah its weird though! robotic arms :p

Physicist
June 15th, 2006, 21:46
by the looks of it that glass is double glazed, twice.

you would need a jackhammer to get through it.

mat_dizzy
June 15th, 2006, 21:48
yeah i suppose it wouldent be single glass...

infact i take back what i said earlier! i think this is a safe enough way :)

ook i should stop posting about this now :p

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
June 15th, 2006, 21:59
then they would nick that just for the scrap value. :D
LOL and the robortic hands, won't they just get nick for replacement of their own hands:D

LC_killer
June 15th, 2006, 22:13
i liek the idea, if your going on a long flight. as long as the arm has no issue with people paying and the arm not giving you the product you paid for. we all know those cheap claw machines that never work. lol

Tron_Fan
June 15th, 2006, 22:16
Besides the fact that as many people have pointed out, these vending machines and their contents would be robbed blind not even 24 hours after they're installed lets look at the marketing sense.

They're targeted for people who are traveling... possibly stuck in an airport with nothing to do. Well, let's drop $200+ on a PSP!!!!!

C'mon folks, this isn't a $.50 bag of cheetos we're talking about, this is a significant amount of money.

Anyone already with a PSP would have stocked themselves full of UMD's (and homebrew :)) ahead of time, so these vending machines are useless to them.

Seriously.... who do they think they're targeting here? Rich people who just want their KIDS TO SHUT UP FOR ONE BLOOMIN' MINUTE... that will buy them anything?

Now, if it had game DEMOS or rentals or something like that, it would be one thing. I just think the thing will sit there to rot. Before it's picked clean. :)

mat_dizzy
June 15th, 2006, 22:29
you've got a point there, but maybe to get a movie if you have forgot to fill up your card... or maybe batterys that are already charged... lol

"mummy i want a psp..." "ok hunny suckle if it will keep you quiet for a few minutes!"

anyyway i dont think it will go well

luis_05
June 15th, 2006, 22:51
A machine like this wouldnt last a day in my city.
It would be raided the first night by thives.

worst idea in history!!

Im off to sleep ~Night people.

Now thats comedy!! I could not agree more with Shadowprophet!!! ( i always do) This machine would not last during the night where I live also!! It would be vandalized within 5 hours of being setup. I dont think its a bad idea but maybe Sony shoul be concern about security, if its easy to run homebrew on the PSP how much easier would it be to get free accessories from these vending machines?

Briggzy11
June 15th, 2006, 22:52
This is very wierd haha what will sony be selling in this then?

Surely it cant be just Walkers Crisps and Diet coke haha

crazyjohn
June 15th, 2006, 23:17
In aussieland ive already seen vending machines selling Ipods, PSPs and lego... this is just a first party one. Nothing so amazingly new to me.

acn010
June 15th, 2006, 23:31
i heard this before, there were already out only in airports and in some japanese malls.
it would be REALLY funny if it was between other food vending machines.

Video_freak
June 15th, 2006, 23:34
why is sony putting so much money in reinforced glass and robotic arms. they have something called STORES to protect merchandise... :rolleyes:

Zion
June 15th, 2006, 23:40
Looks cool! :p

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 16th, 2006, 00:04
Haha, yer but think about it...

It's a very japanese invention, and that's cool cause their crime rate just simply isn't as bad as anywhere else (seriously, you can leave your umbrella at the local McDonalds and it'l be there in a weeks time):) .

Also, It won't be out on the street like normal vending machines, infact, it won't even be sticking out of walls like ATM's, it will be as hard to get to as a normal shelf in a shop full of the same stuff... It will be inside a store, not out in the open, so you'd have to break into the store first, then the machine itself.
It's just a normal, typical everyday shelf in a store, with emphasis being on the fact a robotic arm hands you what you want... He'll, I could see myself purchasing a game I want from it just to watch the gimmick in action, haha.

How many airports have been broken into? (Not including any GTA's).:D

Looks heaps cool though! haha

Briggzy11
June 16th, 2006, 00:37
Pretty soon Sony will create a Teleporter in everybodys HOME!!! then you choose what you want on your PC and it mysteriously appears in front of you lolol.

Damm the Japanese are great and unique with their inventions

jman420
June 16th, 2006, 00:42
any idea where they are in colorado?? lol

Lt-Razorworks
June 16th, 2006, 00:43
You know what this is?

1 less job for a mall, 1 less employee that sony has to pay for.

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 16th, 2006, 01:26
You know what this is?

1 less job for a mall, 1 less employee that sony has to pay for.

Yer, but they gotta train and employ "PSP Vending Machine Technicians"... (Like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, where his dad gets fired in place of a machine.. then ends up being the machines service guy...:cool: ).

I could see myself going around to stores fixing these! Have to carry a handgun like the security guys who empty ATM's and train ticket machines, hah

LC_killer
June 16th, 2006, 01:35
Yer, but they gotta train and employ "PSP Vending Machine Technicians"... (Like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie, where his dad gets fired in place of a machine.. then ends up being the machines service guy...:cool: ).

I could see myself going around to stores fixing these! Have to carry a handgun like the security guys who empty ATM's and train ticket machines, hah
no doubt. expecially at the mall of america here in minneapolis... im sure it will end up there too. they have everything else.

acn010
June 16th, 2006, 01:35
the inventions are evolving, men are being replace by a machine, one by one.
watch, in the future were gonna get killed by them.
did anybody watched the animatrix?
lol :D

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 16th, 2006, 01:45
the inventions are evolving, men are being replace by a machine, one by one.
watch, in the future were gonna get killed by them.
did anybody watched the animatrix?
lol :D

Touche'! :D

Best cartoons for the best movies ever...
Matrix is like the Starwars of my generation *Wipes tear* gotta love it.

Yer, aslong as nobody on DCEMU launches Skynet, we probly won't have a problem with these PSP vendors :rolleyes:

Xarius
June 16th, 2006, 02:06
Think of how frustrated people get when vending machine eats their 65 cents on a kit-kat. Now transfer that to a $250 portable console. Bad idea says I.

phosphorous
June 16th, 2006, 03:04
just saw the same thing for ipods in a las vegas mall.

mr_nick666
June 16th, 2006, 13:43
50p for 1 turn
£1 for 3 turns
(Win does not count if prize is trapped in shute!)

Lol! :D

kfish2oo2
June 16th, 2006, 13:44
retarded idea. people will just take the whole machine. the robotics and, obviously, contentc would be worth thousands.

acn010
June 16th, 2006, 21:45
meh, its only gonna be in rich area malls and aiirports, besides, its very secured like a metalbox in a bank. get a industrial hammer it will just scratch the outside layers.
meh as i said, its only gonna be on special places.

DeViLbOy
June 16th, 2006, 22:54
retarded idea. people will just take the whole machine. the robotics and, obviously, contentc would be worth thousands.

Yeah run away with one of them in youre hands no one will notice!.

BALL_SAC
June 16th, 2006, 23:01
This sounds kind of cool...