PDA

View Full Version : Would A UMD Drive Convince You To Buy A PSPgo?

wraggster
December 6th, 2009, 21:08
According to a rumour at CVG, peripheral manufacturer Logitech are developing a UMD drive add-on for PSPgo. "The only problem is that it’ll make the PSP a little bulky," mentioned CVG’s source.

The lack of a UMD drive is what has most hurt perception of the PSPgo in the portable games market, so it really isn’t all that surprising that a peripheral for UMD support is under consideration. It would also explain why no one from Sony has really addressed the issue of existing PSP users being able to transfer their UMD games to the PSPgo so far.

Bulky PSPgo vs. PSP-3000 with a built in UMD drive. To be fair, we’ll imagine the UMD drive lets you install any game to the PSPgo so you can sit on a couch and play it with a PS3 controller. Your choice?

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/12/06/would-a-umd-drive-convince-you-to-buy-a-pspgo/

symbal
December 6th, 2009, 21:37
The ability to dump my own umd's would, but the extra bulk just makes the Psp go pointless so rather stick to my Psp 2k.

Justise
December 6th, 2009, 23:53
Sony's bigger mistake (along with many others) to begin with, was the inability to load your existing UMDs into the PSP-go's hard drive, which is something the CFW PSP can do for a long time know. If they make it bulkier just to add a UMD drive, this kind of defeat it's purpose! What's the difference between a PSP-3000 and a Bulky PSP-go?

ICE
December 7th, 2009, 02:07
What's the difference between a PSP-3000 and a Bulky PSP-go?

Lots of money and pointlessness.

malgora
December 7th, 2009, 08:03
im still happy with my original psp thanks.. altho a bigger memcard would be nice....

DCergo
December 7th, 2009, 18:18
Damned if you do, damned of you don't. There was tons of whining about the UMD from critics in the past, now that a model has one without it, the whining is back. :)

Nokiaman
December 7th, 2009, 18:25
No thanks. GO doesn't have any interesting. Hell even 3000 isn't interesting.

symbal
December 7th, 2009, 19:03
Damned if you do, damned of you don't. There was tons of whining about the UMD from critics in the past, now that a model has one without it, the whining is back. :)

Yeah people only whine about umd because it's a crappy disk based format with too many moving parts and too power hungry for a handheld, people are happy with physical media they just prefer cartridge based games.

fpcreator2000
December 7th, 2009, 19:28
Yeah people only whine about umd because it's a crappy disk based format with too many moving parts and too power hungry for a handheld, people are happy with physical media they just prefer cartridge based games.

Agreed. The only point of owning a PSP Go would be 16GB of storage, but with CFW, Micro SD adapter and 2x 16GB micro SD cards (I'm not aware if 16GB or 32GB is supported by the PSP on OFW) one has to wonder what in the world would want me to buy the new device when the older UMD drive model is in some ways superior.

pkmaximum
December 7th, 2009, 20:17
Lots of money and pointlessness.

Well said, in other words I either see this as SONY trying to cover up their mistake. Or them trying to make bank off this PSP GO

jamotto
December 8th, 2009, 06:01

Except cartridges don't have sufficient capacity.

symbal
December 8th, 2009, 11:08
Except cartridges don't have sufficient capacity.

And in 2005 the price of a 2gb flash chip would make Psp games right up there with neogeo, but doesn't stop people hating the format.

wraggster
December 8th, 2009, 11:32
i would only really consider a PSPgo if it was cracked for homebrew, otherwise im not in the slightest bit interested

but i would want a umd drive addon if i had a pspgo