PDA

View Full Version : C64 - Psp C64 V1.0

SmashinGit
June 17th, 2006, 21:34
Kristof (http://perso.numericable.fr/~ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html) has updated his excellent Commodore 64 emulator for the psp, here's what new,

V1.0 :

What's new :

- True drive emulation. List of supported games is now same as Vice (hugeeee).

- .G64 file supported

- Better speed accuracy

- Support .zip files (one or multiple files into zip(s) )

- Save snapshot on MemoryStick. Allow 4 saves for 1 game.

- Improved disk/tape browser with screenshots and info file. Can also display .nfo file from gamebase game archives.

- Save settings on exit

- Enable / Disable sound option

- Scrolling in menu

- Cpu clock, 266 Mhz is now available

- Customizable menu font

- Palette support (Vice format .vpl)

- Use Vice1.18 sources (instead of 1.14)

- Save screenshot with snapshot

- Save Date and time into snapshot text

- Add "already typed lines" in menu : Load "$",8, Load"*",8,1, List, Run

- Keymapping for simultaneous 2 players (turn in on in menu)

- User can change keymapping and save/load it. Any shortcut can be assigned on any key.

- Long name support and display in file browser

- Doc on website

Bug fixed :

- Sound is now better

- Sound is not disabled when loading a quick snapshot

- Sound

- True Drive emulation is now "off" after reset (drive-ressource.c)

- Very long file name were crashing emu

- Save to disk (from C64) is now working. You need to detach disk image or attach another image to save the disk image to memory stick (or it will stay into memory and will be lost).

What is still not working :

- P00 files fail

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

PsychoSync
June 18th, 2006, 01:14
That's a hell of an update! Thanks Kristof.

whitey75
June 18th, 2006, 02:25
Initial impressions are good...thanks mate...Seems to be able to load a number of games that it used to struggle with, including creatures and labyrinth. Also plays great such as IK+ and impossible mission.

Back to more testing!

TrojanBarber
June 18th, 2006, 03:00
Thx so much :)
Testing time! Over and out

jordilt
June 18th, 2006, 06:35
someone Knows if this works with 2.xx ?

acn010
June 18th, 2006, 06:51
i thought it was a nintendo 64 thingy, i feel stupid now

Mr.Modem
June 18th, 2006, 08:33
Thanks Kristof!

parsifal968
June 18th, 2006, 09:01
you're da man!
Great port!

and now only we missed the VIC-20 version.

Kristof
June 18th, 2006, 10:44
Thanks guy for comments.

As written on website, emu can be booted with 2.6 and 2.0 (maybe 2.5 but only one people tried)

For Vic20 version, I do not have enough free time to do it (I did not have any vic20 so not stimulating). But source code is available on website and Vice already include Vic20 management (as well as 128 and plus4), so if someone want to do it, would not be a huge work.

whitey75
June 18th, 2006, 12:16
I must admit that til this one I like the other c64 emulator better. You've done a great job with this one though. The only thing i would change is how the emu handles multiple disk images.

I liked on the other emu how you could bring up the games menu highlight the second disk, then exit back into the game and click the joystick button (too easy!). Any chance of modifying vice to do the same? (Just a thought).

I couldn't get it to swap disks on labyrinth, is there a trick to swapping disks on Vice.

Great work otherwise. Apart from this the emu is pretty much perfect. Cheers

O-bake
June 18th, 2006, 12:29
If the game tells you to insert another disk, just go to "drive setting" and attach any disk you want to unit #8, then return to the game.

zx-81
June 18th, 2006, 13:20
As written on website, emu can be booted with 2.6 and 2.0 (maybe 2.5 but only one people tried)

Great emu ! I've tried it on 2.5FW and i can start the demo :D

But when launching cauldron, it freezes my PSP after 20 seconds :o

Kristof
June 18th, 2006, 15:39
If the game tells you to insert another disk, just go to "drive setting" and attach any disk you want to unit #8, then return to the game.

As written in the first line of the website, where all the FAQ have been written. :) Read it please guys.

Great emu ! I've tried it on 2.5FW and i can start the demo

Thanks. And great you can launch it on 2.5, this is already a big step ahead. Maybe someone will debug it soon. Keep hope.

gammern
June 18th, 2006, 15:39
Great work, but it doesn't seem to work on my 2.6 with GTA exploit. The screen turns black and my PSP is turned off. That was the problem with the other versions too.

Can somebody help?

Kristof
June 18th, 2006, 15:43
Hi,

Here is the settings from someone who managed to make it work :

* us gta lcs
* eloader 0.97 with ditlews emenu
* no cange in eloader setup files!
* gta autoloading eloader (this may be the difference!)
* eu (german) psp originally 2.01, with 1gb memstick.

And the point is surely autostart, because someone in same case as you told me :

"Looks like that was it. I autostarted eLoader in GTA and it worked. "

So if someone want to write down the process to make PSPVice work on 2.6, I'll add it on website (I do not have 2.6 so can not tell exactly what to do)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 18th, 2006, 16:15
Nice emu great update as for the multiple images im having the same problem.

hank splendid
June 18th, 2006, 17:47
Autostart the image for disk 1, when prompted to insert another disk press 'select' to enter the Menu and go into Drive Settings. Select 'Attach disk to Unit #8' and select the second disk image of the game you're playing from the list. Press 'Select' to return to the game and follow whatever instructions are on the C64 screen i.e. PRESS FIRE

For games that don't prompt you to insert a disk, I usually attach all the secondary disk images to drives before autostarting the main game disk.

Hope this helps!

By the way - thanks a lot for the fantastic work on this emulator Kristof!

Destro
June 18th, 2006, 19:55
This looks like a great release.

Are you taking donations? Do you have a donation link up?

whitey75
June 18th, 2006, 22:51

I have tried this and many other variations of this ...but still no go. I am using the labyrinth disk images from c64.com, but no luck. Maybe its just the image file doesn't work. I'll have to try a different game and get back to you.

Cheer guys!

hank splendid
June 18th, 2006, 23:02
I have tried this and many other variations of this ...but still no go. I am using the labyrinth disk images from c64.com, but no luck. Maybe its just the image file doesn't work. I'll have to try a different game and get back to you.

Cheer guys!

I tried Labyrinth myself today and I couldn't get it to work either. I've also tried to play Eidolon and that doesn't seem to want to load either. Bloody Lucasfilm games!!!

I've managed to get games such as World Games to load with no hassle, so the disk attachment system does work.

whitey75
June 18th, 2006, 23:23
Yep, just tried the disk swap thing with hot rod and it worked no probs. This is another game I could never get to load before so this emulator is great!

Turrican 1 and 2 and creatures and all work fine (with Turrican 2 being the only multi-disk game out of the 3 of these), and none of these worked properly for me before.

Must be a problem with the lucasfilm games as you say hank.

Jaz
June 19th, 2006, 05:24
Thanks Kristof. Your EMU is the reason I bought my PSP. Well, that and Wizball!

Kristof
June 19th, 2006, 07:23
Whitey & Hank > If game do not want to run, try to activate "True drive emulation", and test it under WinVice (or any other vice). Some program can not be emulated with Vice, so PSPVice will fail also.
If fail under vice, check if another version of your game is available (t64 or another d64)

Destro > You'll find a Paypal donation icon on the website (middle of page)

Jaz > Glad you like it. I'll ask some royalties to Sony because I'm increasing the PSP selling :) :)

whitey75
June 19th, 2006, 11:57
No probs Kristof...not trying to be negative. I love your work. Just an observation for those that may be experiencing similar things.

If there is a better c64 emulator out there then i'd love to know what it is. Vice has handled 99% of game thrown at it so far! Good stuff!

whitey75
June 19th, 2006, 12:04
Alright! True drive emulation works on Labyrinth....just takes 10 mins to load, but it works! Shoulda been more patient...i tried this earlier, just fought it crashed after a cpl of minutes.

Cheers mate!

bodhee
June 19th, 2006, 14:36
Was wondering if anyone had any success loading various electroic arts titles? Project Firestart? Legend of Blacksilver? Have had these games work on my pc version of vice but not on psp with true drive.. maybe i should just let it load longer? i waitied for what seemed like 15 mins. but ill try longer.. just wondering if any of you had tghe same issues?

Kristof
June 19th, 2006, 18:36
No probs Kristof...not trying to be negative.

Sorry if I sounded agressif, that was not my goal. I just wanted to remind that some games are not working under vice (this is also trapping me sometimes)

Was wondering if anyone had any success loading various electroic arts titles?

Yeah I played "Racing Destruction Set" and loaded "Heart of Africa". Be sure "True drive emulation" is on and then reset and autostart your game. When True Drive is activated you should see drive activity printed on screen, if not then that means you turned on the TDE too late and that it is not taken into account or not working well.

hank splendid
June 19th, 2006, 20:18
Cheers for your advice Kristof - just did exactly what you recommended with regards to the TDE and I'm now playing The Eidolon! Woo-Hoo!

bodhee
June 19th, 2006, 23:23
ok will have to try that then... have not had any luck with seeing any LED lights on the screen mimicing the 1541.. ill try to turn true drive on then reset.. thanks!:)

bodhee
June 20th, 2006, 03:42
ok so here's the deal..got the EA games running, but when i try to save state in true drive, pspvice locks up and resets..anyone else with this problem?

Kristof
June 20th, 2006, 09:37
Maybe the save options does not work with TDE. Can not remeber if I tried it. I'm adding this In my debug list.

bodhee
June 22nd, 2006, 00:57
great! this emu is just a few small steps away from being the best ever!

Kristof
June 23rd, 2006, 11:58

bodhee
July 7th, 2006, 05:33
not to be a pain in the neck.. but just curious how far along you are with the debugs? i am a huge fan of your emu but being able to save would make it awesome..

RetroGoth
July 7th, 2006, 05:57
great EMU!!! GRATS

Gizmo356
July 7th, 2006, 06:23
nice

i hate pickels but love melons

gbgunner
July 24th, 2006, 18:34
Can anyone tell me how to get the shift key working ??? ie if i press shift and 2 i get 2 instead of ". Can anyone help

SmashinGit
July 24th, 2006, 20:30
Press triangle to bring the virtual keyboard up. While the virtual keyboard is displayed hold the square button down then move to the key you want and press x. Hope this helps.

darkelfv
July 26th, 2006, 04:35
I been playing tons of my old favorites You guys did a wonderful job and this is my favorite emulator of all.

Couple of things.

1. Games like questron, leagcy of the ancients, Mail order monsters. I can't even get them to load most of the time. A.) I start emu then attach the disk and enable true drive B.) load * using the quick menu, then it freezes C.) I have to reset from menu and use the quick load * from menu then it loads and displays drive working. D. When i get them loaded if i try to save from menu or quicksave from trigger it freezes and i have to restart psp system. E. with mail order monsters i was able to get into the part where it makes a owner disk that didn't work even after it said it initized the disk. Also if i used a premade owner disk it can not save a file(save error check disk) With questron it just resets c64 after i load a pre existing file. CONCULSION - I think there is problem with save to disk and save to psp card when using true drive emulation. Thus alot of these game and ea games wont work. It could be a bad disk image, however i have tested with 3 differnt mail order monster versions.

2. File menu A.) I would love to see 2 columns of names instead of one. B.) my games have 2 sets of a-z and it doesn't make sence from what i could tell. some d64 some t64.

Hope my info helps.

Now my question. I don't see anywhere what formats are supported . I see p00 doesnt work, what about prg, crt, and others?

Even if these things are never fixed I still think you guys are great, this is the most fun i have had with my psp sence i bought it about 2 years ago. Big c64 Fan, I been playing hundreds of my old favorites.

P.S. A little hint about loading. If you have true drive emu on and you see the yellow numbers changing it usaly means its working. Also about the ea games, If gets stuck and the logo is white (in my case wont load) if yellow it usaly takes a while but loads fine. (in this case true drive emu or off was the fix for it getting stuck) As most of you old c64 fans will remember some games just took a long time to load. Even in some of the new emulaters. I think if i remember correcty the old c64 ea games didn't always use the same colors for the logo so that might only pertain to the ones i have been testing.

bodhee
July 28th, 2006, 16:56
i would have to agree... like you, i like the old c64 rpg games and without the ability to save to disk in true drive, it makes them unplayable.. like i had mentioned before, its a few small fixes from being perfect and its already a heack of a lot of fun..:)

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 17:59
Thanks kristof great work. Testing time begins in t minus 10 secs

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 18:31
How do you get the games to start:confused:

Mr.Denny
July 28th, 2006, 18:39
Lovely Jubbly :)

bodhee
September 5th, 2006, 01:22
hi kristof

just wondering of you were still planning an update on this emu? its been great so far but my one main issue is the true drive save states don't seem to work.. i plan on using this for rpg's and adventures and save states are essential.. just wanted to let you know there are still those of us that look forward to each new release...cya

SmashinGit
September 6th, 2006, 00:47
Yeah I still use this emulator quite often, Impossible Mission runs great on it.

bodhee
September 30th, 2006, 04:28
you still alive there buddy?

casho
October 3rd, 2006, 10:32
nice 1...keep up the good work...:)

Kristof
October 6th, 2006, 16:06
you still alive there buddy?

I'm not monitoring this forum, so if you want to speak about PSPVice, please mail me.

I don't see anywhere what formats are supported

It is written on webpage (I spent time writting it, read it please :) )

Supported files format are : D64, T64, VSF, TAP, PRG, G64
(.P00 and .CRT not yet supported)

I'm not planning to update PSPVice anymore. The sourcecode are available, so everyone can correct the last problems.

oxylog
November 14th, 2006, 22:38
hi... has someone experiences with eloader 0.98 + Firmware 2.6 ??
itīs not working wih my psp.
greetings + thx

ColinZeal
November 19th, 2006, 13:11
oxylog:
Why donīt you update your psp to 2.71 and then down to 1.5 and then back up again to a custom firmware 2.71 SE-B''?
The emulator works fantastically under that.

bodhee
January 10th, 2007, 21:27
anyone planning on updating code so that save can be made to disk? it still doersnt work.. just curious as i have no idea how to do ,it and its a shame that this is still incomplete

Hungry Horace
January 10th, 2007, 23:59
unfortunately development on both this and and the other c64 emu (tho imo this is a better emualtor anyway) seems to have ceased.

oh well.... the Speccy is a better machine anyway.

O-bake
January 11th, 2007, 00:29
[...]
oh well.... the Speccy is a better machine anyway.
I guess, this your childhood memories, mine are with the C64.
And yes, it's really a pity that the PSP can emulate almost everything upto the PSX now, but has this lag in C64 emulation.
I always thought that the C64 had so more fans and is even easier to emulate than SNES or Genesis for example.
But let's don't forget, these are private projects, done in free time and hope that someone will continue on them one day :)

Hungry Horace
January 11th, 2007, 00:46
i wont get into the 1001 reasons why the speccy is a superior machine, although i do appriciate the c64 ;)

i'm just glad to see more people appriciating the retro again... it seems to be dieing off a bit on the PSP of late :( (at least pspUAE and pspeccy, the important 2, are still in development!)

O-bake
January 11th, 2007, 00:52
I'm not sure, if the Speccy is superior, but that's not the question.
How do you play Giana Sisters on your PSP?

Strange Guy :p

dmac
March 1st, 2007, 18:47
Anyone know if this works well on 3.10OE-A? I had an older version and it crashed my PSP. I thought it bricked but it booted again when I pulled out the battery.

SmashinGit
March 1st, 2007, 19:17
dmac I have 3.10 fw and it works fine on mine. Just make sure you download the 1.0 fw version and place it in game150 folder.

Buddy4point0
March 1st, 2007, 20:21
ive never played a commador 64 before

bodhee
April 9th, 2007, 17:01
this things a piece of crap..if you want by far the best c64 emu on the market, get a gp2x and install vice..works with 100% of games no problem
and save states!

Speedy42
April 30th, 2007, 15:57
Can anyone tell me how I can get Crystal Castles for the c64 emulator for psp? I already tried Google and the only ones I found are for the pc. Or is there a program that can convert the pc rom to psp format? If someone has it, can someone upload it?

Tophe
June 30th, 2007, 09:26
Will P00-files be supported soon?
What's the difference between .p00 and .g64

gelon
June 30th, 2007, 13:27
this prog is a piece of shit

YOU are a piece of shit

stupid troll :mad:

Kristof
August 22nd, 2007, 08:27
Hi guys,

Thanks for comments.

I'm preparing an update of PSPVice due to some user requests.

You can now browse subfolders, use autofire, and others new features.
I've build a VIC20 version also.

Will P00-files be supported soon?

This is on my task list.

What's the difference between .p00 and .g64

No idea

Can anyone tell me how I can get Crystal Castles for the c64 emulator for psp?

The games are the same for all emulators and all machine. Make it works on Win32Vice and it will work on PSPVice.

get a gp2x and install vice..works with 100% of games no problem and save states!

PSPVice is based on VICE so compatibility is exactly the same than any others VICE version. PSPVice can save state (4 per games).

Anyone know if this works well on 3.10OE-A?

I'm using 3.10OE-A and it is working well.

And yes, it's really a pity that the PSP can emulate almost everything upto the PSX now, but has this lag in C64 emulation.

PSP and PSX has some commun hardware, so this is no a real software emulation as on VICE. Just try to emulate a N64 on PSP and you will see how slow it is :)

one main issue is the true drive save states don't seem to work..

This is on my task list. The disk save is not working when "truedriveemulation" is on. Will be fixed soon.

O-bake
August 22nd, 2007, 10:12
Great :)
The C64 is one of my favorite machines all time.
I hope you can tweak the performance of this vice-port a little bit more.
This is really a great project. Thank you for working on it.

Baboon
August 22nd, 2007, 10:40
I think its great that your going to be working on this emulator again.

I never actually owned C64 but instead opted for a spectrum128+2 back in the day. I think originally there was a shortage of commodores about on a particular xmas so that’s why I got the specky - not that I regretted that decision in anyway.

It was only yesterday that I fired up my psp specky emu and had a quick blast on saboteur and robocop. :)

I’ve not tried the c64 emu for some time on the psp so I’ll be looking forward to this next release. Zaxxon, Ghostbusters, Monty mole and Emilyn Hughes Soccer were particular favs round my friends houses so hopefully these will work.

jaws365
August 22nd, 2007, 11:11
Horray for true drive emulation!!! Alot of demos are working now although little slow. Kristof is the man!

EDIT: Loaded by Fairlight is working pretty ok :)

SmashinGit
August 29th, 2007, 23:10
Great news Kristof. :)