PDA

View Full Version : The 10 best Homebrew Games, Emulators and Apps/Utilities...

SuckerPunch
June 18th, 2006, 09:55
The summer sizzlers article was a great idea. Unfortunately, I though it was rather limited with only 10 titles total. And I thought it was also flawed in that it wasn't based on popular opinion, but was instead just one persons opinion. Also, I can't code but I wanted to contribute to the homebrew community in some manner.

Thus I figure it would be useful to newbies to make a 10 best list for three different categories based upon input from many people. The top 5 in each category can be considered must haves. Later on, I or someone else can write an article on them.

Well here's my list. Please suggest changes as I haven't tried every app or game available yet.

Apps/Utilities
1. Devhook
2. MPH Downgrader
3. GTAEloader (and Exploits too)
4. PSPRadio
5. PMP Mod
6. iRShell
7. UMDIZO loader
8. PSPBrew/PSP Unpacker
9. PSP Video 9
10. GTA Cheat Device

Honorable Mentions:
Links2 - Made unneccesary by Devhook or would be on list.
Anything I forgot on the list.... AFIKM, and the best PDF reader etc.

Emulators
Refer to PSPFan's quote below for a better list.

Honorable Mentions: ??

Games
1. Beats of Rage
2. Quake w/ MP support
Callisto
Iris - Early but very impressive
Super Mini Mario - Whichever Mario has the insanely good graphics.
Smashgpsp
Super Mario War
Squarez
Doom
PSPool
AirHockey
Pang

As you can see, I need help with the Game list. I've played far too many homebrew games to keep track of them all.

I want input on changes to make to the list. Once we can get to a fairly agreed upon list, anyone who wants to, (or if no one wants I'll do it), can write up a brief article with descriptions and download links to the latest version of the homebrews.

Inspired by the failure of my previous effort... http://wikicity.org/Homebrew

Another Category being considered: Top 10 best webportals and websites designed for PSPs
Would like nominations.

Edit: Changes to list based on feedback below

Edit 2: Here's a great reply from PSPFan with probably a better list...

I think you should take off PSPBrew and PSP Video 9 from the apps/utilities. The reason I suggest this is because I think it should be for only the PSP apps, not the PC apps that are for the PSP. Here's how I'd redo your apps/utilities list:

Apps/Utilities
1. DevHook
2. MPH Downgrader (Or PSPSetX?)
3. eLoader
4. iRShell
5. AFKIM
6. PSPRadio
7. PiMPStreamer
8. Unzipper/Unrarer
9. File Assistant++
10. PSP-PDA
11. PVNC
12. PSPlayerMT
13. GTA Cheat Device
14. PMP Mod
15. Links2

I realize there are now 15, but I think that all of them are great apps/utilities.

On to emulators...

Emulators
1. SNES9xTYL
2. DGEN
3. NeoGeoCD (I moved this one up PSPFan, hope you don't mind)
4. NesterJ
5. RIN
6. SMS Plus
7. Daedalus
8. Monkey64
9. PSPGBA
10. PSPXTI (the TI-92 calculator emulator)
(added)
ScummV
PCE
Turbographix

And finally, games:

Games
1. PSPQuake
2. Beats of Rage
3. PSPool
Super Mario War v 1.1 (I added this great homebrew that you left off PSPFan)
Callisto (see above)
PSP Air Hockey (see above)
4. SmashGPSP
5. DOOM-PSP
6. Squarez
7. Attack of the Mutants
8. PSPMillionaire
9. Super Mini Mario
10. PSP Monopoly
11. Dual Tetris
12. PSP Triplay
13. Wordingo
14. Sudoku
15. PSP-Soldier
16. Serve 'N' Go
17. Pang
18. Polygon
19. Laserix
20. PSP Chess

I've expanded this one to 20 because there are sooooo many homebrew games out there that it's not fair to give them the same amount as you give the emulators (which there are a great deal less of).

I think I did a pretty good job on the apps/utilities list, because I've pretty much tried all the apps around. On the other hand, I know there are good games and emulators I've missed for the simple ráason that I haven't played them because they never got my attention and there are so many. Anyhow, those are my lists.

tallica
June 18th, 2006, 10:36
not many noobs have 1.5 you should make an app list for 2.01- 2.60

Baboon
June 18th, 2006, 12:38
Another good emulator I use is PCE (PC engine). Its got some quite good games on it: Pacland, Vigilante, Bonks Revenge, Parasol Stars etc.

ScummVM is a quality Lucas Arts programme that plays games like Monkey island (1&2), Leisure Suit Larry etc.

And a fav homebrew game of mine is 'Pang', its simple but fun. :)

SSaxdude
June 18th, 2006, 15:50
#8 on the emulator list should be e[mulator] for PSP. I've never owned a Turbografx before, but some of the games are really fun.

SuckerPunch
June 18th, 2006, 19:04
Thanks for the feedback. I'll edit the changes into the original posts lists once I get a little bit more feedback.

I don't think it's fruitless to have one for 1.5 pspers. This isn't just for newbs. This is also a good reference for people who haven't been on this site for a few months. When the article is done, they'll be able to see what quality programs have been made, or updated to a newer version since they came. Plus there are plenty of old psp getting sold on ebay for well under 200. Heck I just typed in ... psp (1.50,1.5,1.52,1.51) ...in the search box including both the title and describition in the search and got a great one for my bro two days ago.

I do think it would be great to make similar lists for 2.6 pspers too by people who have a 2.6 and tried out various programs for it. I just don't have any experience with one.

shiftybill
June 19th, 2006, 08:29
yeah monkey island is so much fun on the go

Miniman
June 19th, 2006, 09:10
I love Monkey Island 1 and 2....
The early Lucas Arts Games were the best...
Bad that all studios donīt develope some stuff
like this...

ACID
June 19th, 2006, 10:23
#8 on the emulator list should be e[mulator] for PSP. I've never owned a Turbografx before, but some of the games are really fun.

i agree its a great emulator and it also runs swan color:p

Lodis
June 19th, 2006, 15:28
As far as I am concerned MPH Downgrader should be at the top of every list because without it there would be less 1.5's for people to use and Devs to work with. I see it as one of the most important homebrews in the entire Psp scene.

Second is MPH Firmware Launcher because this allowed other devs to learn more about firmware emulation possibilities, third is MPH Game Loader because after this other devs created more enhanced loaders and I am sure it has alot to do with Devhook being the best loader ever. I heard that Devhook uses some of MPH Firmware Launchers source but I am not sure.

If you do not take into account the stepping stones, the source code and information learned from MPH Game Loader and Firmware Launcher then Devhook is number one on my list. Many homebrews wouldn't exist without the other.

DARTH_GAMER
June 19th, 2006, 23:27
scummVM emulator is awesome! (should be #8) :cool:

as for games... duke nukem 3d port perhaps.

joedastudd
June 20th, 2006, 15:34
You could mention that a PS1 emulator is being made.
Also other emulators you could put on the list which are out now are;
MAME emulator
PSPInt (Intellivision emulator)
PSPAtari emulator (Atari 800/130/5200 Emulator)
PSPectrum (ZX Spectrum Emulator)
PSPColem (ColecoVision Emulator)

I havent tested any of the above, but they are out there and could go on your list.

ACID
June 20th, 2006, 19:00
actually there all great emulators, specialie zx emulators they work great and are easy to use on like other pc emulators for the psp

Accordion
June 20th, 2006, 20:47
links2 should be on
its better than the official sony one
so fast, its dangerous

take out the iso mention
(mods please do it)
dont bring that talk here