PDA

View Full Version : OoKm sheds some light on Firmware Module

shadowprophet
June 18th, 2006, 12:17
Ookm (http://0okm.blogspot.com/2006/06/about-psp-multi-firmware-module.html) Sheds some light on his firmware module. It seems that some users can not tell the difference between a mod chip and Ookm's firmware module. So to clear the confusion ookm put this page together to explain some of the differences. Here is what he has to say.

This is a "PSP Multi Firmware module"
Not a "mod chip" :P

"PSP Multi Firmware module" Actual Size(simulation picture)
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8734/as19pr.jpg

the "PSP Multi Firmware module" is
1. for Developer & Hacker to Develop Homebrew or Research FW
2. for FW 1.00/1.50 user to play with New FW Function & unbrickable
3. for bricked PSP to unbrick their PSP (need another FW 1.00/1.50 PSP or "PC EPP LPT Interface Adaptor")

PSP Multi Firmware module
price less than USD50-

EASY to Install !!
just soldering 20 points

features list:
* ALTERA MAX 3000A Cost-Optimized CPLD
* 480 Mbps High Speed USB 2.0(PSP built-in) :P
* Brand New 32MB Nand Flash onboard (same type as used in PSP)
* Stable and reliable flashing software freely available for download
* PC EPP LPT Interface Adaptor(option) *NEW
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5446/as23dr.jpg

Post Feedback Via Comments below

Zion
June 18th, 2006, 12:21
Thanks for clearing that up! :p

tcjew
June 18th, 2006, 12:29
hmmm isnt that exactly what the modchip is doing?
Sorry to be noobish, but i still dont see any difference?! They both let you unbrick your psp, they both give you the option of havening two different firware at once.
Maybe someone can clear that out for me :)

b8a
June 18th, 2006, 14:37
hmmm isnt that exactly what the modchip is doing?
Sorry to be noobish, but i still dont see any difference?! They both let you unbrick your psp, they both give you the option of havening two different firware at once.
Maybe someone can clear that out for me :)You should take a look at the link, it has a nice Q&A section that answers these questions.

To sum up: Yup, it's essentially the same thing as the Undiluted Platinum "mod chip" that we've all been hearing so much about. HOWEVER, the reason why the author states that "this is NOT a mod chip" is because mod chips are closely linked to piracy and are illegal in certain areas, and this concept really doesn't fit the term mod chip as all you're really doing is adding a separate flash module and means to select which one you use. It really doesn't modify the hardware performance.

The other good news on the link is that Ookm is looking into mass-production of the module and anticipates that it would retail for approx. US $50. Certainly cheaper than the more reknowned alternative.

SSaxdude
June 18th, 2006, 15:29
It costs $20 to make, but where could I buy the needed parts?

Hawq
June 18th, 2006, 15:45
Should be cheaper than tryin to find a second PSP if it gets into production.

Ichijoe
June 18th, 2006, 15:53
It's not a Mod-Chip and nither is the UP, till someone either a) manages to hack S0NYs' Firmware or b) someone creates an eintire Firmware from scratch that bascly does everything (or nearly everything), that S0NYs' Firmware of the Day could do. Minus the DRM protections...

Heres' a question will this: "It's not a Mod-Chip!" ploy work on the S0NY Leagl Team?!?

jwilds73
June 18th, 2006, 17:04
It's not a Mod-Chip and nither is the UP, till someone either a) manages to hack S0NYs' Firmware or b) someone creates an eintire Firmware from scratch that bascly does everything (or nearly everything), that S0NYs' Firmware of the Day could do. Minus the DRM protections...

Heres' a question will this: "It's not a Mod-Chip!" ploy work on the S0NY Leagl Team?!?

I think it's a real grey area. I mean I could buy a computer with Windows preinstalled and add a second hard drive to it or partition the existing drive and install linux on it. Why can't I install a second nand chip and install another OS I want on this "hand held computer". I don't kow what all the new laws are and how they effect these type of devices. However if I can do it with one computer why not with this one?

mr_nick666
June 18th, 2006, 17:50
I bet all those people who threw out their bricked PSP are crying now! :(

RedKing14CA
June 18th, 2006, 18:28
I bet all those people who threw out their bricked PSP are crying now! :(

i wouldnt throw away a bricked psp.. i'd use it as a brick, or something... LOL

yeah, i want this firmwaret thing... especially if you can use NEW sony firmwares on it.. and if they're CUSTOM firmwares...

too bad this will greatly fight piracy, sony will want to fight this... they are so stupid...

Accordion
June 18th, 2006, 19:17
the laws and terms of use thing is quite strange, as sony usally add some extra functions to there consoles to make them computers, so as to avoid extra tax on entertainment, so i bet officially the psp is a computer. so, to me at least, the hard drive theory works for me
woooo
about the piracy thing... if only there was a way to hard install ( i guess that means permanently) a 1.00 or 1.50 firmware on the extra chip which blocked out all UMD drive access, stopping UMD emulators, then you could use your psp flash to play the latest UMDs.
never work i know
it is a shame but every other site ive seen about extra flash/modchip is full of comments about people finally being able to run ISOs . damm them all to hell

Davidov
June 18th, 2006, 22:04
I know Im buying one as soon as possible! Never mind the "mod chip" this is half the price and i believe half as hard to install.

Im selling my 2 newest 1.5 fw psp's on ebay as we speak.

BTW does anyone know how you switch between the nand chips with this thing? is it like the mod chips hold down L shoulder button on startup to access the menu? not terribly important if OoKm manages to get this mass produced.

mavsman4457
June 18th, 2006, 22:11
I may be out of luck and just acting noobish right now but if I have never soldered anything in my life how hard do you guys think it would be to learn? I really wanted to get the mod-chip but now I want to get this. The only bad thing is that I don't know how to solder. I may have a friend that knows how though so I am not hopeless. Anyway, this sounds like a great alternative to a mod-chip. Keep up the good work OoKm!

tcjew
June 18th, 2006, 23:05
thx for clearing that up "b8a" :)

But for my conlusion both chips arent really modchips, since for my understanding now a mochchip is a chip that "tricks" the system OS in some kind of way to play personal backups. None of both chips does offer this feature or am i wrong?

Davidov
June 18th, 2006, 23:25
INDIRECTLY with this module you could play backed up copies on a memorystick using ISO loaders BUT only because this bad boy allows you too run 1.5 or even 1.0 on any psp.

(Just so long as it aint a PSP with the TA-82 motherboard your trying to "enhance".... as far as I am aware a solution for this motherboard revision is being worked on.)

So no this module doesnt allow u to play backed up copies, ergo this is not a mod chip (as OoKm stated) and neither is the Undiluted platinum one.

F9zDark
June 19th, 2006, 03:01
Yeah, as far as I am concerned, they are not really mod chips. Mod chips are designed to specifically circumvent protocols designed to thwart piracy, unsigned code execution, etc. But since certain firmwares are able to do this in and of themselves these products do not fall under the term mod chip.

Since once you install these hardware additions, you need to use a Sony made firmware.

drew4237
June 19th, 2006, 05:15
so then y sell this untill they have a costom firmware out. i know so people can have 1.5 or even1.0 to run whatever they want, but i have a 1.5 and wish it had avc playback on it casue it is allot smaller. i also wish i knew how to get thee pmp mod working casue full resolution movies would be awesome.

idapimp
June 19th, 2006, 07:19
i still think that soldering 20 points is a bit much in something so damn small and compact. might still be a bit difficult

J sims
June 19th, 2006, 08:00
I consider a mod chip in the most literal since of the term. I chip used to modify a electronic piece that normally would not be allowed in it's design. I don't consider a computer processor upgrade a mod chip since computers were meant to be upgraded in this fashion

Davidov
June 19th, 2006, 10:57
so then y sell this untill they have a costom firmware out. i know so people can have 1.5 or even1.0 to run whatever they want, but i have a 1.5 and wish it had avc playback on it casue it is allot smaller. i also wish i knew how to get thee pmp mod working casue full resolution movies would be awesome.

You can have 2.71 running on one NAND flash chip and 1.5 on the other. So all u need to do is flip between them (most likely need to restart the psp) and hepresto! u can play homebrew and AVC codec movies and brand new UMD games with the same PSP on the fly.

mog
June 19th, 2006, 20:23
Im gonna start searching ebay for cheap bricked PSPs !! :p

dalejrrocks
June 19th, 2006, 20:35
too bad I can't solder really well...

Matarick
June 20th, 2006, 05:53
I wonder if it would work with this dummy who upgraded to 2.5? I hope I can flash the spare memory to 1.5 so I can take advantage of homebrew again.

Mine was at US launch but too tempted to play SFA3MAX asap.

acn010
June 20th, 2006, 17:08
too bad I can't solder really well...

true.'
i don't recomend people to solder their psp's, because the 20 points are way to small to solder with a normal soldering iron "UNLESS" you sharpen enough that the point that stab a person and bleed to death quickly......... (please don't try this test when you finish sharpen the point, crazy people.. god, lol)
its gonna mess up the system and this for people who doesn't how to solder and unexperience.
meh....
im available to solder for a price, but the bad thing is that i live in US- new york, NY.
so ha

Accordion
June 20th, 2006, 20:39
i was just wondering how this site will react if htese chips allow users to gain full decrypted file access to the firmware?
im guessing that via the other flash the user could copy over the installed .prx files and therefore use them in firmware emulators such as MPH and Devhook to fully emulate the firmware removing the need for external decryption(which hasnt been possible since 2.6).
but only those with a chip could legally obtain and use the files in that format, even though such files would open up 1.5 users to use UMDs that require the latest firmware and the functions of them.
what would be this sites stance on such an application.