PDA

View Full Version : a few questions about ds homebrew solutions

od1exx
June 18th, 2006, 19:47
For the past few days I have been reading all about DS Homebrew solutions... When I purchase my DS Lite I'm going to get:

M3 Mini w/ a 1gb SD card
Passcard 3

With that setup I should be able to play DS,GBA backups as well as install a SNES, NES emulator and plays backups of those games as well?

I have heard alot of stories about shorting other bridges (thereby shutting down the DS Lite) other than the SL1 bridge when flashing the firmware which is partially why I went with the Passcard 3 instead of a Passkey2. I had a few questions with these devices though... First off:

You cannot flash your DS with just a Passcard correct?
What is the point in getting a Passkey if you all you need for Homebrew is a Passcard that fits very nicely into the DS slot?
Does the Passcard half your battery life like I have heard on other forums?

I had one last question about flashing a DS Lite: What is the cheapest Passkey-esque device that can be used to put FlashMe on your DS?

flup
June 23rd, 2006, 13:10
For the past few days I have been reading all about DS Homebrew solutions... When I purchase my DS Lite I'm going to get:

M3 Mini w/ a 1gb SD card
Passcard 3

With that setup I should be able to play DS,GBA backups as well as install a SNES, NES emulator and plays backups of those games as well?

I have heard alot of stories about shorting other bridges (thereby shutting down the DS Lite) other than the SL1 bridge when flashing the firmware which is partially why I went with the Passcard 3 instead of a Passkey2. I had a few questions with these devices though... First off:

You cannot flash your DS with just a Passcard correct?
What is the point in getting a Passkey if you all you need for Homebrew is a Passcard that fits very nicely into the DS slot?
Does the Passcard half your battery life like I have heard on other forums?

I had one last question about flashing a DS Lite: What is the cheapest Passkey-esque device that can be used to put FlashMe on your DS?

This is exactly the set up I have and I'm very happy with it. In answer to your questions:

1) You can flash your ds lite with anything except the first generation passkey. So you can use flashme with the passcard if you want.
2)There's really no point unless you like something sticking out of your ds.
3) Yes it does drain the battery very fast - it seems by half but maybe I'm just playing it more now ;)

You can of course flash your ds lite, but you risk bricking it if you don't know what you're doing. If you have a passcard, what's the point? There was a point when all there was were the passkeys as these are ugly and stick out. Of course, the battery gets drained more, but there is a workaround - just take out the passcard after you boot up a game. Just remember to put it back when you want to load another game.

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 19:33
View the stickied tutorials and FAQ

V3N0M
June 23rd, 2006, 20:25
Great i just got a DS lite and want to know the best set up that will play DS and GBA backups aloung with Snes and nes emulators. Where can i buy all of this stuff?

V3N0M
June 23rd, 2006, 20:40
I looked up some information and it said that the passcard can flash the DS lite? Can it just run homebrew without flashing the DS lite? Because i want to be able to run homebrew without messing around with the flash. I'm assuming that the Passcard is very similaur to Max Media Launcher but from what i can see its better.

But really all i want is a card that will go in the DS game slot and run my backups (DS,GBA) and my emulators and homebrew (SNES, NES) and it does not require flashing the firmware. Is this what the Passcard 3 does? I really do not want to mess around with the flash at all.

oh and one more thing, Which works better the M3 mini SD or Supercard SD? By that i mean which one will run the homebrew/Backups faster?
And does the M3 mini SD or the Supercard SD come with software to patch DS/GBA roms so they will work after being put on the memory card?