PDA

View Full Version : Undiluted Platinum - PSP Modchip News/Diagrams

wraggster
June 21st, 2006, 14:25
Our excellent PSP Review site has posted a big article and diagrams of info of the new Undiluted Platinum PSP Modchip including details that some PSPs are not compatible, check out the full info here --> http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/

Ihavenolife
June 21st, 2006, 15:40
I'm looking at the modschip's installation instructions and I'm realizing that if somebody like me who is not going to understand all the soldering points real well tries to install the modchip, there's a pretty good chance that they're going to mess up their PSP

Ichijoe
June 21st, 2006, 15:57
Haveing insane mad soldering skilz may not even be enough to atempt that especially given you have to gently ever so gently as not to break 'em scrape open Traces that are like less then a mm apart.

They said this wouldn't be for the faint of heart! Looks like they'd we not kidding either. Seeing this for the first time I'm having second thoughts.

But for those with nothing left to loose (i.e. Bricked), this could be the way to go. But youre goin' to need something better the a grubby dime store Iron to accomplich it though...

one winged angel
June 21st, 2006, 16:04
how can i find out which motherboard i have?

bandit
June 21st, 2006, 16:10
how can i find out which motherboard i have?
Only way is to open the PSP. 0okm has stated there is a way to find out without opening the PSP. But you'll have to wait until he tells us. If you didnt get your PSP from Asia with 2.6 firmware on it, then you have one of the three boards that will work with the chip.

bandit
June 21st, 2006, 16:12
Those who dont plan on getting the board installed by themselves, be patient. I'm coming up with something for you people.

Accordion
June 21st, 2006, 16:49
will your plan be USA only?

Ihavenolife
June 21st, 2006, 18:49
iazybandit, as long as its not a pre-modded psp, and its in the us, I'll probably buy it. But also, I'm one of those people who doesn't exactly like to take apart a device that I have invested several hundred dollars in without lots of know how about it

Nafogel
June 21st, 2006, 19:01
i have no soldering skills whatsoever, but i really wanna get the chip. is there anyone who already has it installed and thinks it is worth the hassle. does it boot 2.71, or is there a fix in that fw version?

Video_freak
June 21st, 2006, 19:26
wow. i hope a more simple chip comes out. i have never soldered anything so i'll probably get someone to do it for me...

bandit
June 21st, 2006, 20:00
will your plan be USA only?
yes, it will be for US and for international.

NO, I WILL NOT BE DOING INSTALLATIONS OR SELLING.

bandit
June 21st, 2006, 20:01
iazybandit, as long as its not a pre-modded psp, and its in the us, I'll probably buy it. But also, I'm one of those people who doesn't exactly like to take apart a device that I have invested several hundred dollars in without lots of know how about it
It will consist of pre-modded, selling and installations. It will be for the US and international

bandit
June 21st, 2006, 20:03
i have no soldering skills whatsoever, but i really wanna get the chip. is there anyone who already has it installed and thinks it is worth the hassle. does it boot 2.71, or is there a fix in that fw version?
No one has it yet so no one can answer your questions.

mog
June 21st, 2006, 20:18
Im pretty sure I have the TA-079 board in my psp.
That soldering helper tool looks very useful.
I am a lot more confident that I will be able to do it myself now.

I think I might need a better soldering iron though...
The soldering iron I have is gas powered and is a little dodgy; sometimes flames shoot out the sides! :eek:
Not sure it's a good idea to use that near my psp. :p

Accordion
June 21st, 2006, 20:31
yes, it will be for US and for international.

NO, I WILL NOT BE DOING INSTALLATIONS OR SELLING.

so its for uk as well
above it says not installations
but your next post does...

what do you mean, each post you say something different

Sterist
June 21st, 2006, 22:08
wish i could afford one lol

F9zDark
June 21st, 2006, 22:36
This looks alot harder than I thought it would be. But its the only damn way.

I guess I'll be waiting until someone does it and gets it down pat before I attempt it.

Davidov
June 21st, 2006, 23:11
I was planning on getting one or two of these modules, or perhaps some of Ookm's modules and fixing up a bricked psp.

If it works then I probs will set up a UK installation service probs 20 quid plus whtever it costs on postage (£7.50 each way) Just a guess on prices I made up there.

But we'll see. The instructions look daunting at first but ive soldered some circuits at uni and with those covers/solder tools it should be okish, dont hold ur breath.

MalumEnSe
June 21st, 2006, 23:39
The images and text in this "review" have been taken (word for word) from QJ.NET / PSPUpdates:

http://pspupdates.qj.net/Undiluted-Platinum-Install-Diagrams-and-Compatibility-Update-/pg/49/aid/56524

tophead420
June 22nd, 2006, 00:29
k i have a psp1001 aka a us psp will it be compatible with it i really hope so lol

Voltron
June 22nd, 2006, 00:57
What would one do with the chip once it is installed? I'm all for it but it seems the PSP can do almost everything higher firmwares can do and then some at 1.50 firmware.

This sounds really cool but I just am not fully understanding its uses.

Wait, I'm thinking from a 1.50 users point of view. Perhaps this chip would benefit 2.00+ users more allowing them to take advantage of all the homebrew greatness 1.50 PSP's experience.

MikeDX
June 22nd, 2006, 01:33
I can't wait to get my first batch and start modding. I *WILL* be doing european postal chipping service.

mog
June 22nd, 2006, 02:00
What would one do with the chip once it is installed? I'm all for it but it seems the PSP can do almost everything higher firmwares can do and then some at 1.50 firmware.

This sounds really cool but I just am not fully understanding its uses.

Wait, I'm thinking from a 1.50 users point of view. Perhaps this chip would benefit 2.00+ users more allowing them to take advantage of all the homebrew greatness 1.50 PSP's experience.
Voltron, How can you play 2.7+ umd games/movies on 1.5?
I can't even play many 1.5+ games on my 1.0. :(

Also theres that Location-Free TV and Flash 6 stuff you can't use on fw1.5... for people that care about such things.

Think about how many people will actually have 2.71 once this is out!
Even for people that don't get the mod chip this is very good news.

There will be many more people using 2.71 on their modchip...
Therefore more homebrew developers/users able to try to find ways to run homebrew/downgraders on higher firmwares.
Also, homebrew developers will be able to thoroughly test their programs in any firmware without worrying about bricking their psp.

There's a lot more advantages from the coming of the mod chip then just for those who buy it. :)

doof69
June 22nd, 2006, 02:15
This mod chip is great! But I dont see why sony want just release a new firmware that prevents the use of this mod chip. Maybe I am just a n00b, but I dont see why sony just cant do that.

mavsman4457
June 22nd, 2006, 03:08
This mod chip is great! But I dont see why sony want just release a new firmware that prevents the use of this mod chip. Maybe I am just a n00b, but I dont see why sony just cant do that.

Well yes you are a n00b so shut up :) , just kidding. I agree with your point and it will be interesting to see what sony tries to do to put this mod chip to rest.

kcc86
June 22nd, 2006, 04:40
on the last picture (with the picture showing the closed psp with the battery compartment) theres like a piece of hardware outside, so i'm assuming there will be shit sticking out your psp if you have a chip?

Voltron
June 22nd, 2006, 05:14
Voltron, How can you play 2.7+ umd games/movies on 1.5?
I can't even play many 1.5+ games on my 1.0. :(

Also theres that Location-Free TV and Flash 6 stuff you can't use on fw1.5... for people that care about such things.

mog mog mog, its time for you to change to 1.50 my friend. It is now possible for 1.50 PSP's to do pretty much everything 2.71 PSP's can and MORE....

1.) No games require 2.70 or 2.71 yet. Even the NEWEST games just released only require 2.60.

2.) I can play ALL games ranging from 1.00 - 2.60. There are only a few games that still are not working on 1.50. Like Outrun, WWE, and maybe a couple others. But lets see... what just came out. Cars, Astonishia Story, Tomb Raider, Race Driver 2006, etc. etc. All are 2.60 games and I can play them on my 1.50.

3.) It is now possible for 1.50 to FULLY emulate 2.50 firmware. And better yet, it can be emulated at 333 MHz making the web browser work faster than you'd ever imagine. I can also use the Location Free player.

SO you see, 1.50 firmware is the BEST. So I'm thinking the MOD Chip might be geared more towards people who are stuck with higher firmware PSP's.

Also important to note that I play all games in ISO or compressed ISO form. Some people are against that but it is so much better if you ask me. I have a 2GB mem stick and most games just take up 512MB or less.

Accordion
June 22nd, 2006, 16:46
you b*****d pirate

Cap'n 1time
June 22nd, 2006, 16:51
voltron. if your 500 posts if you dont know iso discussion here is ban worthy REGARDLESS OF LEGIT USE then....... your stupid.

first and only warning.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
June 22nd, 2006, 17:44
i hav 1.5 psp, i hav money, i hav soldering skillz....cought......cought, BIG question should i get the modchip???

Ihavenolife
June 22nd, 2006, 18:05
If you have a 1.5 psp, you should probably only get the modchip if a new game is released that you want, but it requires 2.7+ firmware.

Other than that though, someone else mentioned that the modchip would herald in a new era of homebrew, which may mean that to access the best and newest homebrew games, you're going to need a modchip. As for soldering, good luck. I told my friend (who is an avid solderer) about the points and even he thought they seemed too close together to perform very easily, so it's obviously a tough job.

Anger
June 22nd, 2006, 18:52
its going to be a nightmare for ANYONE regardless of skill because there so minute and one mistake and thats the end of your psp.

picture this - your looking through a 10x magnification lense scraping the surface off a copper wire thats less than 1mm in thickness. now picture your hands being rock steady (they will have to be). now multiply that by about 20x and you get the scale of what must be done - and done PERFECTLY. i was considering this as i have done soldering on the xbox1 console and i wouldnt even consider doing this - its that hard.

ill be waiting till:
A. it is mass produced and/or becomes solderless.
B. becomes cheaper to buy and install (£150 is the cost of a psp yet thats whats needed to buy this and have it installed)
C. i win one in a competition. <---yeah right :P

a real shame i was looking forward to this.

pkmaximum
June 22nd, 2006, 18:58
I agree with the soldering skill that this mod chip is going to require it will probaly not even be worth tinkering with unless your a master at this like Ben Heck :P. What gets me the most is for a pre modded PSP your looking at $500 usd to me that makes no sense at all. Seeming the PSP cost $200 and the mod chip costs $90 there charging you $210 in just labor alone that is a major gyp!

Ihavenolife
June 22nd, 2006, 19:57
I also looked into having a company mod it for me...it costs $150 (and I'm assuming that's without the price of the modchip included)

mr_nick666
June 22nd, 2006, 20:21
I also looked into having a company mod it for me...it costs $150 (and I'm assuming that's without the price of the modchip included)

Take it in to your local electronics repair shop and get them to do it! - Its bound to be cheaper and they'll be covered by insurance if they f**k your PSP :D

pkmaximum
June 22nd, 2006, 21:37
I doubt that a local electronics store for some reason will install the mod chip into your PSP unless it was authentically made from SONY or licenced by SONY otherwise they will probaly not even touch the PSP. And since when would a elctronic store have to solder parts in the PSP to repair it :P I really doubt a electronics store being that nice. But for me I have many friends in college who specialize on this and they will be more than happy to install it for me so its all good :)

mog
June 23rd, 2006, 02:35
mog mog mog, its time for you to change to 1.50 my friend. It is now possible for 1.50 PSP's to do pretty much everything 2.71 PSP's can and MORE....

1.) No games require 2.70 or 2.71 yet. Even the NEWEST games just released only require 2.60.

2.) I can play ALL games ranging from 1.00 - 2.60. There are only a few games that still are not working on 1.50. Like Outrun, WWE, and maybe a couple others. But lets see... what just came out. Cars, Astonishia Story, Tomb Raider, Race Driver 2006, etc. etc. All are 2.60 games and I can play them on my 1.50.

3.) It is now possible for 1.50 to FULLY emulate 2.50 firmware. And better yet, it can be emulated at 333 MHz making the web browser work faster than you'd ever imagine. I can also use the Location Free player.

SO you see, 1.50 firmware is the BEST. So I'm thinking the MOD Chip might be geared more towards people who are stuck with higher firmware PSP's.

Also important to note that I play all games in ISO or compressed ISO form. Some people are against that but it is so much better if you ask me. I have a 2GB mem stick and most games just take up 512MB or less.
Well you say every game at the moment only needs 2.60, that's alright I guess...

But do all games...
1. Work at full speed?
2. Save without any problems?
3. Work with wifi exactly how they should?
4. All work from umd? (not that I prefer battery consuming, slow, scratchable, loosable, autoloading when you don't want it to, UMD anyway!! ;))

Also, the only 3 games I really really want at the moment are Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core, Guilty Gear Judgement, and Gran Tourisimo 4...
Now none of these are out till atleast August... will these still only require 2.6? :p

And although I can now go from 1.0 -> 1.5+ and return back to 1.0 without the modchip, I'm still staying with 1.0.

It should NOT be impossible to change the 1.5 umd loaders to work on 1.0.
One day, we will have everything 1.5 has; and it would be interesting if MPH gets the modchip and puts 1.0 on his psp.
We will have your umd loader on our psp's in no time.
I'll even buy the modchip for MPH if he will do that. :)

This is a good example of how the modchip will help homebrew developers. ;)

And by the way, 1.5 can't do EVERY thing 1.0 can!!
There are a couple of interesting little things that 1.0 can do which 1.5 can't...
One example is that 1.5 doesn't have the keys to decrypt sony's bogus 1.0 update, but a 1.0 psp can decrypt it. :p

Hungry Horace
June 23rd, 2006, 12:58
I doubt that a local electronics store for some reason will install the mod chip into your PSP unless it was authentically made from SONY or licenced by SONY otherwise they will probaly not even touch the PSP. And since when would a elctronic store have to solder parts in the PSP to repair it :P I really doubt a electronics store being that nice. But for me I have many friends in college who specialize on this and they will be more than happy to install it for me so its all good :)

i'm guessing fom your spelling of "specialize" (i.e. with a "Z" ) that you're not from Britain, more likely the U.S?

like Mr Nick, i am from Britiin, and i have known of *many* small electronics & games stores (indepentent stores) over here which have specifcally offered the services of installing mod-chips, selling pre-modded consoles. fixiing out-of-wanrrenty consoles etc etc so Mr Nick is in fact 100% right imho.

mr_nick666
June 23rd, 2006, 14:18
i'm guessing fom your spelling of "specialize" (i.e. with a "Z" ) that you're not from Britain, more likely the U.S?

like Mr Nick, i am from Britiin, and i have known of *many* small electronics & games stores (indepentent stores) over here which have specifcally offered the services of installing mod-chips, selling pre-modded consoles. fixiing out-of-wanrrenty consoles etc etc so Mr Nick is in fact 100% right imho.

Cheers Horace! :) Weve got a place called Mr Fixit where I live who would be happy to oblige! :D

MaxSMoke
July 10th, 2006, 08:43
I hate to point out the obvious, but has *ANYONE* actually ever seen one of these Mod Chips in operation? I've been looking high and low for reviews, but all I see is this "Epsilon" group talking about their special Firmware and a chip that nobody has ever had in their hands. There's no reviews and no mention of anyone having a modded and fully function PSP that *DIDN'T* also work for the company that sells them.

Maybe it's just years of paranoia stemming from numerous internet hoaxes and scams, but has it occurred to anyone that this whole Mod Chip thing might not exist at all. Before you go off throwing $500 on a modded PSP, or $100 + $$$ Labor costs on the chip itself, maybe we should know a bit more about this chip and how well it works.

And as far as Firmware 2.7 games, try LOCO ROCO! It's only the BIGGEST PSP Title to come out in the last 3 months, and the demo already requires 2.7+ Firmware! I doubt the game will demand anything less.

Anger
July 10th, 2006, 12:58
http://www.psphacking101.com/

check out commutecast 6.

http://modchipstore.com/Undiluted-Platinum-PSP-Mod-Chip-Fix-Bricked-PSP-with-full-featur-16328.html

i too was doubtfull but people now do actually have it. there has also been at least 3 videos of it in action on youtube.com - i assure you it does exist