PDA

View Full Version : need a sticky for noobs, What do all these things do?

June 23rd, 2006, 04:11
I've read about five pages of threads now, and im so confused...

Everyone knows these terms yet there are no topics explaining what they are.

So to begin with,

What is a Supercard and what does it do?
What is a Superpass and what does it do?
What is EZ4Flash and what does it do?
What is a M3 and what does it do?

Quay Cur
June 23rd, 2006, 14:54
I know what you mean. I'm quite new at this also but I think I've at least got the hardware down.

A Supercard/EZ4Flash/M3 are flash carts that go in a GBA or DS's GBA slot. They are more or less a GBA cart that you can put a flash memory card in (like Compact Flash, all the SD types and so on). This allows you to load files (music, homebrew apps, games) on your GBA or DS.

A Superpass is a type of pass through device that tells the DS to load what's in the GBA slot (your Supercard, M3...) as if it were a DS game. This is good for DS roms. I don't know if you would need it for homebrew apps that use the touch screen, though.

Anyway, the best combination that I can find seems to be an M3 with a Passcard 3 (made by the same company). Just make sure you don't get a PassKEY. It's a huge thing that sticks out of the top of your DS and requires a DS game to be plugged into it. The Passcard is the same size as a regular DS game. Check out the M3 site if you want, it's all in very bad english, but the info is all right.

http://www.m3adapter.com/

This was the first thing I read on here and cleared up a lot of my questions (if the link doesn't work it's called The Noobs Guide to DS Homebrew by MutantMooBunny posted in this section). Here's the link:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27011

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 16:31
Basically M3, Supercard and EZ4Flash are the same thing. Flashcarts.

You can get flascarts and adaptors.

You can get 3 versions of the M3, sd, mini sd and compact flash.

Supercard is the same as the M3 in features

G6 is by the makes of the m3 but with built in memory that is faster but measured in Gigabits (gigaybyte divided by 8)

In order of quality and compatiblity with homebrew/roms in my opinion.

1) G6/M3 - BEST

2) Supercard - Same as buy build quality is less

3) EZ4Flash and other flashcarts - Compatibility is poorer and I would not recommend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the passme devices. These redirect the processors of the NDS to the flashcarts mentioned above.

There is Datel's Max Media Launcher, Passcard, Passkey and probably some others but they are the main ones.

In order again....

1) Passcard 3 - doesn't stick out and works great even with sleep mode

2) Max Media Launcher - No Sleep Mode with this device

3) Passkey 2 - Requires NDS Game, would only recommend if you are going to flash your DS although if you are new to DS homebrew etc. I wouldn't because you risk bricking you shiny new games console.

4) Others - The EZ4flash passcard type device is designed for their flashcart. Other passme devices won't work with the EZ4flash so you need theirs. Others are available with built in memory but only store 1 game, can't remember the name

--------------------------------------------------------------

To Run Homebrew you will need 1 of each type of device mentioned above. I recommend the M3 or Supercard or G6 bundled with a Passcard 3.

If you get the M3 or Supercard you will need to buy flash memory as well but apart from that this is all you will need to start homebrew on your DS.

Hope that clears things up :D

The Hombrew Hunter
June 23rd, 2006, 18:55
How about Superkey? I'm looking at an M3, but I need a decent and cheap passthrough... What can you suggest that's pretty cheap?

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 18:59
For a passthrough I would suggest the Max Media Launcher, it is the cheapest but no sleep mode unfortunately so you may be better checking out the Passcard 3. Superkey is fine as well.

Check stickied FAQ's and tutorials.

Oh BTW I've been made a staff member :D

The Hombrew Hunter
June 23rd, 2006, 19:09
Thanks. Maybe you can get animated avatars in...heheh.
Ebay has a sweet Passcard 3 and M3 perfect. Let's hope it doesn't get 'spensive.

Also if you want an SNES or Game boy system animation, ask. Also see my 3 works in my signature. They rock hehehe...

June 23rd, 2006, 20:17
What is the bare minimum i need to say, just play movies, songs, and pictures.

And what is the bare minimum to

1) play Ds roms
2) play Gba roms

Can i do some things without a passme or whatever or do i need both?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what is so bad about the EZ 4 Lite

Is the build quality good and bad compatibility?

or both bad?

The Hombrew Hunter
June 23rd, 2006, 21:38
Hey another question, if I have a DS from launch (2004), Can I use a Passkey 2?

Oh and is $108 USD + somewhere around 5$ shipping for an M3 Perfect SD and Passcard 3 worth it? AND does the Passcard 3 drain battery life faster?

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 22:24
to [email protected] http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27418

and to The Homebrew Hunter - Yes and it's an okay price not great but not terrible either

The Hombrew Hunter
June 23rd, 2006, 23:16
Ah, thanks. It's all I could find, unfortunately.

A plus is that it ships from Canada, and I'm in New England.

F34R
June 24th, 2006, 13:12
I would check out the supercard lineup. It's what I've been using with great success.

http://eng.supercard.cn/

I purchased all my stuff from www.realhotstuff.com
As I've posted before, I'm using a supercard sd + superkey.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 24th, 2006, 17:57
Okay, I just bought a digital camera that works with CF cards. Should I buy an M3 CF version to use the CF from my camera? What;s the difference between SD and CF versions? Which has higher compatibility with programs/emu/backups?

Thanks!

June 24th, 2006, 18:25
Sd and CF should be the same, its just a different format.

Btw, how much further does CF stick out with a supercard, can anyone get a picture?

In comparison to the SD or mini sd supercard.

Mazza
June 24th, 2006, 20:43
Mini sd has a battery built in the regular sd and cf do not.

Also CF's are generally slower than sd's

The Hombrew Hunter
June 24th, 2006, 21:23
Okay, that's good for me. CFs are cheaper, I caN use it in my new Digital Camera, and it's $3 cheaper than the SD bundle I saw.

Man Mazza! You're always there to give an answer! If there was a staff member rating system, you'd get an A+++++.-.