PDA

View Full Version : FAQ - What Do I Need for Homebrew on the DS

Mazza
June 23rd, 2006, 17:09
To start playing homebrew on your Nintendo DS you need two things. A flashcart with memory to store the games and apps and a Passme type device.

First I'll start with the adaptors.

You can get Flashcarts and Adaptors.

The M3 is an adaptor. You can get 3 versions it the sd, mini sd and compact flash.
Supercard is the same as the M3

then there are flashcarts with their own built in memory

G6 is by the makers of the m3 but with built in memory that is faster but measured in Gigabits (gigaybyte divided by 8) so storage is less.

4Gbits = 512mb

In order of quality and compatiblity with homebrew/roms in my opinion.

Joint 1 & 2) G6/M3 - BEST but they come at a price and, Supercard - Same as the M3 but GBA compatibility isn't quite as good. I would say NDS compatiblity is slightly better.

3) EZ4Flash and other flashcarts - Compatibility is poorer and I would not recommend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is the passme devices. These redirect the processors of the NDS to the flashcarts mentioned above so you can play backup roms and homebrew.

There is Datel's Max Media Launcher, Passcard, Passkey and probably some others but they are the main ones.

In order again....

1) Passcard 3 - doesn't stick out and works great even with sleep mode

2) Max Media Launcher - No Sleep Mode with this device

3) Passkey 2 - Requires NDS Game, would only recommend if you are going to flash your DS although if you are new to DS homebrew etc. I wouldn't because you risk bricking you shiny new games console.

4) Others - The EZ4flash passcard type device is designed for their flashcart. Other passme devices won't work with the EZ4flash so you need theirs. Others are available with built in memory but only store 1 game, can't remember the name

--------------------------------------------------------------

To Run Homebrew you will need 1 of each type of device mentioned above. I recommend the M3 or Supercard or G6 bundled with a Passcard 3.

If you get the M3 or Supercard you will need to buy flash memory as well but apart from that this is all you will need to start homebrew on your DS.

For people looking to store a few games and homebrew the G6 will suffice but if you're looking to store mp3s and videos I recommend going for the M3 with external memory. You can now get SD cards of up to 4gb in size.

------------------------------------------------------------

DATEL MAX MEDIA PLAYER / DOCK

I have seen so many of these posts. The Datel Max Media Player or Dock can only be used for homebrew and you will NOT be able to play backup DS or GBA roms using this device. For media and homebrew though this is a worthy alternative to the M3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Where to Buy?

There are many sites but I'll only list the sites I've used.

www.SupercardStore.com - The best store I've ever used for UK buyers looking for a Supercard. Super fast next day delivery, great prices and support emails are usually answered the same day, I've bought a few times from here and I've had excellent service every time.

www.Divineo.com - If in the UK you will have to order from the US of Chinese Site as the UK site doesn't stock any Backup Devlopment tools for the DS. Pricey postage on US site.

www.winsunx.com - Cheap Prices and High Postage, I would probably use this site over divineo but they only accept Paypal, Western Union and Bank Transfer so you can't pay by credit card without a paypal account. Be warned about pre-ordering though as they have lied to me about shipping dates.

www.codejunkies.com - This is Datel's shop, all Datel products can be bought here. Fast delivery also.

www.lik-sang.co.uk - These do not sell homebrew and backup devices but are good for most other import gaming goods.

http://shop.01media.com/en/ - Overpriced in my opinion but a reliable shop in Europe

-----------------------------------------------------------

That should be all you need to know if you have any questions don'y hesitate to ask. :D

Mazza

edit 24/06/06 - Supercard Mini SD has built in battery which I don't think the regular Supercard SD does - Go for the Mini version if buying a supercard.

MutantMooBunny
June 24th, 2006, 22:05
Mazza, thanks for finally putting up a good FAQ. This forum has gone on way too long without one. Kudos to you, man.

DaArtist401
June 30th, 2006, 09:22
I have about $150, can i find any of these things in the store? I wanna get the max media launcher, i might not be able to get the m3/g6 but i might get the supercard. How much would that run?

badam
July 13th, 2006, 06:10
Screwed. I bought the max media dock & the max media player that goes into the ds slot.

Biggie578
August 9th, 2006, 19:48
I thought it was the emulator used that causes compatabliliy issues for roms. I guess for DS roms there is no emulation, but how would the type of flash cart used affect comatability of which DS roms can run?

badam
August 9th, 2006, 20:13
I just found out how to make ds roms work on my ds, now my max media dock is good.

m0n3y
August 10th, 2006, 15:24
I just found out how to make ds roms work on my ds, now my max media dock is good.
Would you mind posting some links to any threads that helped you do this? It looks to me like Max Overload 1.2 is the only way to get this working on the Max Media Dock. Is that how you did it? I just bought one myself. Thanks!

killaruna810
August 22nd, 2006, 00:11
is modchipman.com also a good store? I cant quite find a store that has the m3 bundle(m3 comes with a memory card and passcard 3)

walkdontrun
August 22nd, 2006, 20:20
I'm new to the DS homebrew scene and I searched everywhere but didnt find an answer...Can you play games multiplayer on wifi for NDS backup/rom games? What about non-internet multiplayer or multiplay from a single backup game (similar to multiplay on 1 game card)?

pasteurized
August 26th, 2006, 06:25
I was told somewhere that Homebrew isn't playable on the Red DS's? Is this true or was that before Passkey3?

badam
August 26th, 2006, 07:36
I uploaded something like the Max overload but this one is better, it works with I think the gbamp and others devices. Go here to get it:http://www.argaming.tk or here http://www.aandr.tk/com

Junixx
August 26th, 2006, 16:40
I uploaded something like the Max overload but this one is better, it works with I think the gbamp and others devices. Go here to get it:http://www.argaming.tk or here http://www.aandr.tk/com

Yes i just found out about this recently and it works great :D

abeisgreat
November 7th, 2006, 16:17
http://www.realhotstuff.com/ is also a good store :)

jondoe696911
December 22nd, 2006, 07:38
ok first i would like to say this was pretty helpfull in trying to figure out what i need to get started. so as of this weekend i will be buying a ds. but before i go out buying stuff for it, i would like to know a few things.

1. i own a psp, and am happy with it, how difficult is it to back up my future ds games to my computer, like i did with my umds? i know for the psp it was pretty much press a button and it would back up the game. is this similar with the ds?

2. living in the us is there any place i could buy a pass card in say a store like e-bgames or gametrader, same for the m3 adaptor?

3. how easy is it to get homebrew running from the time i sit down with the adaptor passcard and ds.

4. are there any tutorials that you guys would recomend.

thanks in advance im trying to get a new hobby and i think the ds is where its at. i am in fact a newbie to the ds scene, but i plan on changing that.

kcajblue
December 23rd, 2006, 01:22
1. i own a psp, and am happy with it, how difficult is it to back up my future ds games to my computer, like i did with my umds? i know for the psp it was pretty much press a button and it would back up the game. is this similar with the ds?yes it is similar.
and no iso/rom talk please.

2. living in the us is there any place i could buy a pass card in say a store like e-bgames or gametrader, same for the m3 adaptor?no. only online.

3. how easy is it to get homebrew running from the time i sit down with the adaptor passcard and ds.easy enough.

4. are there any tutorials that you guys would recomend.http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27418

luke111
December 24th, 2006, 08:26
i use supercard mini sd with a 2GB mini sd card.
can i play homebrewgames or not plz

keefurxxcore
January 3rd, 2007, 01:57
what abut the MK4-MINI??? can i use that with a supercard/ m3???? and is that combo work? if not does passkey2 and m3/supercard combo work???

Polarbear
January 5th, 2007, 23:42

how? i cant get it to work.

BigJC1983
March 20th, 2007, 15:05

When I try to click the .zip file it sends me to a "File not found"...grrr! Plz try to get it back there.

kcajblue
March 23rd, 2007, 22:33
MO is illegal.
dont talk about it on these forums.

parkermauney
April 29th, 2007, 03:14
Damn! Glad I got a psp instead.

ibiza420
June 29th, 2007, 15:29
Is the R4 alone enough (with a SD card) to run homebrew on DS? Same question for M3 Simply...I don't understand why it is said here that a passkey is required since all sites I found describing the R4/M3 said that no passcard is required...

can you enlighten me on that one? Also, is R4 better than M3?

Thanks ;)
ibiza

yaustar
June 29th, 2007, 16:25
In order:
Yes
Yes
A passkey is need for Slot 2 (GBA) based flash carts.
Hardware wise, they are both the same.

jak66
June 29th, 2007, 18:56
is R4 better than M3?

only if you want firmware updates sooner (and cant be bothered to patch the r4 update to work on the m3)

-Shadow2-1-
July 8th, 2007, 22:38
can u tell me how to get homebrew/ nds roms on my DS. I tried downloading from some sites but i cant find any that actually offer homebrew games for downloading. please respond. thanx

marcus222
August 1st, 2007, 17:35
has any1 heard of a PMP d from datel its from argos i got 1 i keep trying to put games on ity but they are always this zip win rar thing so it does not play the game please help me

marcus222
August 1st, 2007, 19:48
dou u need to put the games on th sd card by using a card reader

dman32
August 3rd, 2007, 09:34
is there a tutorial some where?

norniron
August 9th, 2007, 10:47
Hi, could somebody tell me what i should be looking to buy so that i can run emulators for old snes games and gameboy games etc and to be able to watch movies, mp3s and ebooks on my ds lite?

all this passme, flash, supercards, slot-1 + slot-2 stuff has me completly confused.

i've seen on a website and have seen an "M3 DS Simply Package with 2Gb Micro SD Card" for £39.98, would this do the job and is it a good price?

scyron
August 22nd, 2007, 18:09
Hi, could somebody tell me what i should be looking to buy so that i can run emulators for old snes games and gameboy games etc and to be able to watch movies, mp3s and ebooks on my ds lite?

all this passme, flash, supercards, slot-1 + slot-2 stuff has me completly confused.

i've seen on a website and have seen an "M3 DS Simply Package with 2Gb Micro SD Card" for £39.98, would this do the job and is it a good price?

I too am looking to buying this M3 package and a little heads up would be nice since these homebrew devices seem to cost more than most games.

thanks if anyone replies. Also as of right now I only have SD card and I was wondering if it is any better/worse than micro/mini SD or CF cards.

November 14th, 2007, 20:59
I got the Super card and flash memory, now where do I get the programs to download the games or this Home brew and how do I know my DS is compatible?

neil182rob
November 24th, 2007, 21:07
Hi, ive just read your guide, very good (excuse my ignorance, but im very very new to all this) ive recently purchased a M3 DS real card, ive transfered a game on to the memory and its coming up "no system file found, put system file in" can you help??

Tikker
November 24th, 2007, 21:18
you need to put the M3 file system on flash card to start with

neil182rob
November 24th, 2007, 21:20
whats that and how do i do it ? (like i said very new to all this and a tad out of my deapth me thinks)

5M1FF3RZ
January 24th, 2008, 06:52
whats that and how do i do it ? (like i said very new to all this and a tad out of my deapth me thinks)

all you need to do is go to http://www.handheldsources.com/M3DS/Download_M3DSR.html
and download v2.9 anddrag and drop to the root of your memory card.....

and if you have a m3 ds real it comes with a flashme which means no passcard is needed......:thumbup:

--------------------------------------------------------------

getting m3 on saturday and hopefully a working pandora's battery for my psp slim today!!

andonation
February 1st, 2008, 08:09
why is that i cant connect another ds to one that has a homebrew game to play multiplayer? is that not possible.

TheLostProphet
April 23rd, 2008, 23:36
So. Just to clarify, you only need to buy 1 thing [minus any memory, SD etc.] with the M3 but 2 with the Supercard, those being Supercard and Passme?

In other words, which is the cheapest, not including any additional memory, bearing in mind I would like to be able to emulate SNES, GBA AND DS?

Yes I'm a greedy bugger :D

DanTheManMS
April 23rd, 2008, 23:47
The guide is out of date. Basically, anything that runs primarily from slot-2 will require a slot-1 NoPass to boot it in DS mode to run DS homebrew. A standalone slot-1 device runs by itself without any additional equipment, but slot-1 devices cannot run GBA files.

I'd recommend a dedicated slot-1 device plus the EZ-V 3in1 expansion pack to add GBA compatibility for a cheap price. There are many slot-1 devices out there that you should research before coming to a final decision. I'd recommend looking into the following: CycloDS Evolution, Supercard DS, DSTT, EDGE, Acekard.

ngcprime
May 18th, 2008, 18:46
I Am looking to get a flash cartage or whatever its called for my mum's(kind of like a present for her) NDS to play NDS roms on, I would want at least 512mb, or even 1gb+ depending on the price, could someone advise me what one to get and what site to get it from as I am new in this area of tech.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

that1guywiththeface
July 30th, 2008, 18:24
Where would the ItouchDS fall into this? If I ordered one, would I need to buy ay adapters or storage, or is that included? I'm confused...

steveanddon
October 25th, 2008, 16:22
Hiya. New to this, but what do I need to copy my own DS Lite games onto my PC (windows) hard drive. Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks
Steve