PDA

View Full Version : Epsilon To Release Custom PSP Bios

wraggster
June 24th, 2006, 05:35
In a move that will make Sony Irate the crackers and hackers at Epsilon have posted this statement:

Epsilon BiOS is a custom flash "replacement" for the $ony PSP which unleashes the full potential of your handheld, allowing you to both use homebrew software and run UMD games from your Memory Stick on the latest Firmware releases while also enjoying the impressive features built into the operating system such as RSS feeds, WMA support etc. Currently the 2.71 Firmware release is supported - that's right, this means we have cracked the new encryption methods and developed the operating system hacks necessary to allow unsigned code to run, even in kernel mode.

We have been developing Epsilon BiOS for quite some time, but due to the fact that it requires a dual-flash system (one flash is used to bootstrap our code, the other stores the normal PSP Firmware) we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum mod-chip. Previously we had been using our own custom hardware for development, however about a week ago we received Undiuluted Platinum prototypes and have since modified our code to work with their hardware - its working great, despite a few bugs which we need to iron out before the release. For those who are wondering, yes, you will need an Undiluted Platinum installed in your PSP to take advantage of this.

As mentioned above, using Epsilon BiOS its possible to launch homebrew software from the memory stick, kernel mode access is also available for software which requires this. Both 1.0 and 1.5 style EBOOTs are supported.

We will be releasing a video over the next few days showing Epsilon BiOS in action - keep an eye out for this! As for the actual release, this depends on how soon we can resolve the remaining issues, but we hope to have it out within 1-2 weeks.

Great news for the Homebrew scene but not so great for Sony, what do you all think about this upcoming firmware from Epsilon, post your views in the comments

gunntims0103
June 24th, 2006, 05:46
this is great news and the fact that ppl are actually making custom firware is alsum......to also hear that they have cracked the 2.71 encryption methods is great news:D i know sony is pissed about this im hoping that the mod chip will even work when sony releases the firware update that allows the new playstation emu that sony is coming up with......hopfully sony doesnt do sum thing to there firware that makes it unable to be use by the mod chip or sum wierd thing like that cause if the mod chip hasnt gotten sonys attention yet i think it soon will..........though this is kind of wierd if they have come up with a custom firware cant they just put it out as an update so lets say i have a 2.6 psp now i update with there custom firware and presto a custom firware 2.71 that allows all hombrew capabiltys.........but the custom firware that these ppl have come up with really isnt needed if the mod chip lets you switch frrom 1.5 to 2.71 in an instant so im spectical but my eyes on what will happen next

youroverlord
June 24th, 2006, 06:11
fake???????

Nafogel
June 24th, 2006, 06:26
if youve really cracked the 2.71 fw, then why couldnt we just update our psp's to the cracked version? why would we even need a modchip? either this is fake, or i am really confused? could they be a little more specific as to what they ACTUALLY did?

Combustolux
June 24th, 2006, 06:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9lUs3I5WDM
'nuff said

vettacossx
June 24th, 2006, 06:35
Kernall Access Means You Can Use The Downgrader!!! Omg Can U Say Mile Stone 4 Psp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Q:
why would we even need a modchip? either this is fake, or i am really confused? could they be a little more specific as to what they ACTUALLY did?
A:
We have been developing Epsilon BiOS for quite some time, but due to the fact that it requires a dual-flash system (one flash is used to bootstrap our code, the other stores the normal PSP Firmware) we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum mod-chip<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

uranidiot
June 24th, 2006, 06:43
yab-dab-do!

yab-dab-freaking-do!

But Come On Guys No Iso Loaders!

gunntims0103
June 24th, 2006, 06:50
yab-dab-do!

yab-dab-freaking-do!

But Come On Guys No Iso Loaders!

no one was on the topic of iso loaders looks like some one has a gulty concients:p anyway since this is a custom firware im curious to know would it be possible lets say i input the mod chip into my psp but the mod chip is one of my friends i would use it just to upload this firware and then take the mod chip out would my psp retain the custom firware........(answered my own question no as soon as i take out the mod chip i would have to put back the original flash chip back in my psp and that one contains 2.6 or what ever firware i would have so intern i cant do what i just said)

zackforbing
June 24th, 2006, 07:00
this is great news and the fact that ppl are actually making custom firware is alsum......to also hear that they have cracked the 2.71 encryption methods is great news:D i know sony is pissed about this im hoping that the mod chip will even work when sony releases the firware update that allows the new playstation emu that sony is coming up with......hopfully sony doesnt do sum thing to there firware that makes it unable to be use by the mod chip or sum wierd thing like that cause if the mod chip hasnt gotten sonys attention yet i think it soon will..........though this is kind of wierd if they have come up with a custom firware cant they just put it out as an update so lets say i have a 2.6 psp now i update with there custom firware and presto a custom firware 2.71 that allows all hombrew capabiltys.........but the custom firware that these ppl have come up with really isnt needed if the mod chip lets you switch frrom 1.5 to 2.71 in an instant so im spectical but my eyes on what will happen next
yeesh, man. use a period every now and again. :p

I can guarantee you sony already knows about UP, has probably BOUGHT one to see the easiest way to circumvent it. I can also almost guarantee you that Sony pays people to troll PSP news sites so that they're always in the know about what's going on in the PSP homebrew and hacking communities.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
June 24th, 2006, 08:21
its real and its the best!!!! homebrew and the latest sony stuff!!!

emuking
June 24th, 2006, 08:36
yeesh, man. use a period every now and again. :p

I can guarantee you sony already knows about UP, has probably BOUGHT one to see the easiest way to circumvent it. I can also almost guarantee you that Sony pays people to troll PSP news sites so that they're always in the know about what's going on in the PSP homebrew and hacking communities.

yeah your right this will be cool when the modchip comes out and sony cant stop them from selling them, but they are probaly already working on a way to prevent people using the modchip on 3.0, but i dont see how, so i say to sony f*ck you

BALL_SAC
June 24th, 2006, 09:36
So you need the undiluted platnium just to use this... then whats the point of this. The undiluted platnium does the exact same thing.

felonyr301
June 24th, 2006, 10:00
thats what im saying theres no point if you still need the mod chip..

vettacossx
June 24th, 2006, 10:06
Q:----
So you need the undiluted platnium just to use this... then whats the point of this. The undiluted platnium does the exact same thing.
A:---
flash "replacement" for the $ony PSP which unleashes the full potential of your handheld<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
you really are missing the point THIS IS A CUSTOM:" flash " THE ALREADY UNLOCKS EVEN FUTURE FEATURES SUCH AS BOOT FROM MEM STICK a feature due in a future update and most likeley how you will play PS1.. ( mem stick boot update) this is a rather advanced CUSTOM firmeware that ALSO makes full use of the psp ( kernall access and compliments the mod chip by having 2 flash chips instead of one your psp can access both the custom firmeware for homebrew on FLASH CHIP 1 and your commercial sony firmeware 2.71 on FLASH CHIP 2 allowing your psp quite litterally the best of both worlds ;) with kernall access like 1.0-1.5 users and all the features of the newest firmeware so for those saying whats the point??? well the point is there will be another option other than the creator of the mod chip and sony now theres a custom BIOS 2 ....thats the POINT if your not smart enough to understand then just ask a few questions but dont make light of this gr8 news guys :eek: ) all they have learned from cracking the encryptions ....it would be nice to have that cracked encryption just for fanjita to make another eloader from a newer game....but the existing firmeware ISNT FEATURE RICH ENOUGH to waste an EXPLOIT like 3.0 WILL BE ;)
this is a step in the right direction cracking the encryption is the first step :)

" for every encryption theres a decryption"

BALL_SAC
June 24th, 2006, 10:18
Now I get what this is about. If the creators of the Epsilon Firmware have cracked the sony encryption code within the PSP, then that means that they should be able to use homebrew, WITHOUT the use of a modchip, or Eloader. If this is indeed true, then no Modchip should be required, and we should just be able to download the firmware and upload it onto the current flash memory. That way, everyone can play homebrew without the Eloader, or modchip.

doof69
June 24th, 2006, 10:28
no Modchip should be required, and we should just be able to download the firmware and upload it onto the current flash memory..

Thats not true. The reason they need the Undiluted Platinum modchip is so they can load the modified firmware onto the flash. Without the modchip it is impossible to write to the flash and therefore they can not put the modified firmware on the psp. They basically need the modchip so that writing to the flash is possible.

vettacossx
June 24th, 2006, 10:30
why dont you read that WHOLE news post ....lol....not without 2 flash chips no....thats what it says

that it requires a dual-flash system (one flash is used to bootstrap our code, the other stores the normal PSP Firmware) we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum mod-chip.
however they do hint that they made a way with one flash to run homebrew on a 2.7 by most likeley learning from cracking sonys sighned code they can create there own costom code or BIOS in this matter from what thewy learn...;)
Previously we had been using our own custom hardware for development

drEDN4wt
June 24th, 2006, 10:54
...allowing you to both use homebrew software and run UMD games from your Memory Stick

Im confused....I thought psp-news was against all things that run UMD games from the memory stick.

shrimpidy
June 24th, 2006, 11:42
Is this thing a download or something u physically install in yur psp?

Crogge
June 24th, 2006, 12:02
WoW, this is a great Work !
I got a 2.01 PSP and can only use Homebrew through the GTA Loader, and I can´t use ISO Loaders :-(

I thinked first .iso loaders are bad, because Sony will stop the GTA Hombrew ... but they stopped Homebrew almost with the 2.71 FW and the Patched GTA so they breaked their Promise...

Let the fight begin, and release this nice BIOS :-)

T-2000
June 24th, 2006, 12:25
imagine if sony allowed homebrew, that would piss modchip makers off, all tht devolping down the drain..lol .. if you wanna use homebrew why not buy the GP2X ??

gotmilk0112
June 24th, 2006, 12:45
because psp has a ton more homebrew.

btw great news! but im not getting no modchip anytime soon. or at all for that matter. :p

Oni
June 24th, 2006, 13:11
That video from youtube says it all... this is gonna be great when it comes out... kernel access on the newest firmware... we're talken, in time when the ps1 emu from sony comes we will just take it, but still be able to run all (I like that word ALL)) homebrew:p...
Not so nice that they are showing ISO loading though... bet'cha, if they wanted to they could judt put in an block for ISO loading... then the legal aspect world be out of the world:)... just don't thing they'll do...

ONi

T-2000
June 24th, 2006, 13:16
i think ripping the firmware would be reason to go to court in itself..

Lodis
June 24th, 2006, 13:35
yeah your right this will be cool when the modchip comes out and sony cant stop them from selling them, but they are probaly already working on a way to prevent people using the modchip on 3.0, but i dont see how, so i say to sony f*ck you

You say to Sony f*ck you but without them, we wouldn't even have such a great device. I call for respect of both sides for one wouldn't exist without the other. I say thanks to Sony and thanks to the devs/ hackers etc. Look at the big picture and you will see what I mean.

(Now back on topic) I think that this custom firmware will eventually be able to run on Devhook.

Either way, the Modchip and custom firmware will gives devs a much greater understanding of the firmware and potential that never existed previously. I think it will allow Devhook to truly evolve, now that would be the real ''Devhook Evolved''

ngin.small
June 24th, 2006, 15:26
okay wait will i be able to just download this and put it in my psp or do i have to chip my psp to have these custom epsilon bios?

gotmilk0112
June 24th, 2006, 15:35
u gotta chip ur psp

Kramer
June 24th, 2006, 16:27
I say this is a fake
they said the exact same thing about a month ago

We will be releasing a video over the next few days showing Epsilon BIOS in action - keep an eye out for this! As for the actual release, this depends on how soon we can resolve the remaining issues but we hope to have it out within 1-2 weeks.

and they obviously know how to edit videos because they fuzz out the mac address in that video. They could of easily combined videos of 1.5 fw and 2.71 fw.

This could of been made by the makers of the chip to get more people to buy it.

I may be wrong though.

SSaxdude
June 24th, 2006, 16:27
I bet Sony will try to sue the makers of the modchip and of the custom bios. I hope Sony loses the trial.

Accordion
June 24th, 2006, 17:06
im absolutely shocked this ISO loader is getting so much attention,
after the controversy of devhook, im suprised this even gets a mention.

this sites standards are dropping so low, this news basically encourages ISO use

thanks for shooting real homebrew in the head!!!

mike03$$$
June 24th, 2006, 18:06
i dont understand this why cant they make an homebrew update that contains a eboot and thats lets everyone play homebrew because i dont want to open my psp and mess it up

luis_05
June 24th, 2006, 19:11
$#%@#^&%$& oh god! yes!!! oh freaking %#@%#@!! if this is true i will crap my pants and get one immediately!!!

stotheamuel
June 24th, 2006, 19:24
I Agree with kramer. The video showed no proof

All it shows is the firmware... then them playing demos... no sort of homebrew its fake.

Or it could have been a video put on the psp... should have shown the hand movements

And since when did the makers of U.P. say they gave them prototype chips?

Illegal Machine
June 24th, 2006, 19:33
So then when someone has a 2.71 with a decrypted firmware they can post it somewhere so that 1.5 devhook users can emulate it?

that's what I'm hearing

Accordion
June 24th, 2006, 19:57
thats the easy way for us 1.50 users.
better than messing with the hardware

of course theres legal issues

(and sony can stop it quite simply, its quite obvious, and im not telling here, in case they see it...pm
if you figure it out dont mention it in the open, the monitors have ears and eyes)

Misleading
June 24th, 2006, 20:20
i dont know much about the subject but would it be possible to load a bios from the memory stick? Like the xbox. This is cool but i am not willing to fork over 90 bucks and risk to screw my psp over just to load kernal stuff

Accordion
June 24th, 2006, 20:35
the obvious has just became very clear....

1.50 users can just use the devhook firmware emulator to load up this epsilon bios replacement
that would be good

i think?

stotheamuel
June 24th, 2006, 21:16
no the mod chip is needed in order for that to work

Harshboy
June 24th, 2006, 23:47
Using devhook would be cool. But to me that sounds to simple meaning it probally aint possable:( But, if we do need a modchip im screwed cause i wont be able to install it.....i cant solder at all. They should make it solderless:p Anyway, this is really good news:D

Addictedd
June 25th, 2006, 00:10
I say this is a fake
they said the exact same thing about a month ago

and they obviously know how to edit videos because they fuzz out the mac address in that video. They could of easily combined videos of 1.5 fw and 2.71 fw.

This could of been made by the makers of the chip to get more people to buy it.

I may be wrong though.

EXACTLY..

- note how you can only see the screen before the UMD disk drive is shown.
- anyone can edit a video to add a logo in (mac address is the main example of adding)
- psp screen is zoomed in on, making it minimal effort to combine 1.5 videos with 2.71 (videos of 1.5 and 2.71 firmware in the exact same camera position, very easy to do)
- they said this EXACT same thing last month, yet there was no real proof, and there still isn't this time round.
- U.P haven't say anything about giving them mod chips..
- no hand movements, just a screen.
- bad/loud music to blurr out something?

CONCLUSION
Fake.

mog
June 25th, 2006, 05:08
Kramer and Addicted, it's good that there are people that do not blindly accept everything they see and hear as fact... but I think your conclusions are wrong!

The great thing about the PSP is the way the little lines in the background move making it difficult to just throw together different clips.
After watching the whole thing a few times just looking at the background in fullscreen it is too perfect for any clips to be thrown together, atleast while background is visible.

Another great thing is the time and date on psp can be seen often.
Here are the times I recorded from watching the video:
00m 42s = 6/2 2:04 PM
01m 25s = 6/2 2:04 PM
02m 03s = 6/2 2:05 PM
02m 22s = 6/2 2:05 PM
02m 44s = 6/2 2:06 PM
The times are the earliest and latest you can see for each minute of the PSP time.
As you can see, if it is a fake they have put an impresive amount of effort into it.

Me & My Katimari can be seen while the psp is being tilted upright, before showing there is no umd.
While the psp is being put back down, immediately, as soon as the screen is just slightly visible, you can see that Me & My Katamari is still playing on the 2.71 PSP without umd and loaded from the game menu.

Other things:
- The memory stick remaining disc space is always 87MB, and the order of the icons in the game directory doesn't change either.
- The XMB had the "Enable WMA Playback" menu icon which is only on 2.60 and higher.
- The XMB had the "Enable Flash® Player" menu icon which is only on 2.70 and higher.
- LocoRoco is a 2.70 game.

And there were quite a few other things... I've just got bored of typing now! :p
After all these things, I am near 100% sure this is completely real.
It would be far more amazing and impresive if this is actually somehow a fake, it just looks too difficult.
If anyone else can fake it, go ahead! :D

CONCLUSION: Real :p

V3N0M
June 25th, 2006, 06:15
WOW! Good job sherlock Homes LOL. I'm very impressed with your studying of this video. It can still be fake but like you said it would take a lot of work and i mean "A LOT" to fake it that well. But we'll soon find out if it is real.

faceless
June 25th, 2006, 06:28
why do people still doubt the reality of this mod?

PS2 Scene has already revealed who is behind this (divineo/sjeep.inc)

and as for how they have mods to test their bios replacement on...

Team Epsilon = Undiluted Platinum

they are they same guys

that is why they have UP mods, they get product samples from themselves!

this strategy was seen previously with the DMS4 (Team Toxic) and Viper GC (Mental Cube), unless people really think that devs magically appear to write a bios/firmware for a mod that isnt commercially available yet...

acn010
June 25th, 2006, 06:41
really ineresting, funny, Undiluted Platinum should made a detachable modchip, one adapter connected and soldered to the psp, and the modchip itself getting the adapter and solder to psps owners and crack the version one by one.
XD great effort but people want thier warenty and they don't want to risk it.
and sorry for saying this but the guy who film the video, wow what a retarded way you film on your psp.
well i saw something that really catched me, um first he started the loco roco, then exited, then later he played attack of the mutants, then me & mr. katamari. is it that this program just copies the signature from the signed eboot and copies to the homebrew on one time use?

mog
June 25th, 2006, 13:22
well i saw something that really catched me, um first he started the loco roco, then exited, then later he played attack of the mutants, then me & mr. katamari. is it that this program just copies the signature from the signed eboot and copies to the homebrew on one time use?
If they had managed to do that, they would have just said!
That is no easier or less impressive than making the custom bios...

Anyway, if I was making the same video, I would have also chosen that order to demonstrate that it works.

System Information - to show the version number, which can't be changed above fw 1.5.
LocoRoco - PSP can run a 2.7 game from Game menu.
Attack of the Mutants - PSP can run homebrew.
Me & My Katimari - To show the PSP is definitely running the game without UMD from Game menu.
This implies it was loaded from an ISO, which traditionally also means the PSP has access to kernel mode.

mr_nick666
June 25th, 2006, 15:30
Kramer and Addicted, it's good that there are people that do not blindly accept everything they see and hear as fact... but I think your conclusions are wrong!

The great thing about the PSP is the way the little lines in the background move making it difficult to just throw together different clips.
After watching the whole thing a few times just looking at the background in fullscreen it is too perfect for any clips to be thrown together, atleast while background is visible.

Another great thing is the time and date on psp can be seen often.
Here are the times I recorded from watching the video:
00m 42s = 6/2 2:04 PM
01m 25s = 6/2 2:04 PM
02m 03s = 6/2 2:05 PM
02m 22s = 6/2 2:05 PM
02m 44s = 6/2 2:06 PM
The times are the earliest and latest you can see for each minute of the PSP time.
As you can see, if it is a fake they have put an impresive amount of effort into it.

Me & My Katimari can be seen while the psp is being tilted upright, before showing there is no umd.
While the psp is being put back down, immediately, as soon as the screen is just slightly visible, you can see that Me & My Katamari is still playing on the 2.71 PSP without umd and loaded from the game menu.

Other things:
- The memory stick remaining disc space is always 87MB, and the order of the icons in the game directory doesn't change either.
- The XMB had the "Enable WMA Playback" menu icon which is only on 2.60 and higher.
- The XMB had the "Enable Flash® Player" menu icon which is only on 2.70 and higher.
- LocoRoco is a 2.70 game.

And there were quite a few other things... I've just got bored of typing now! :p
After all these things, I am near 100% sure this is completely real.
It would be far more amazing and impresive if this is actually somehow a fake, it just looks too difficult.
If anyone else can fake it, go ahead! :D

CONCLUSION: Real :p

Whats left to say!!?? :confused: Good work fella! ;) Cant wait to see whats achieved when this is on the market :D

plasmaballs
June 25th, 2006, 15:39
Still suspect, however. What an achievement it would be, lets just wait and see the results....

acn010
June 25th, 2006, 16:21
why do people still doubt the reality of this mod?

PS2 Scene has already revealed who is behind this (divineo/sjeep.inc)

and as for how they have mods to test their bios replacement on...

Team Epsilon = Undiluted Platinum

they are they same guys

that is why they have UP mods, they get product samples from themselves!

this strategy was seen previously with the DMS4 (Team Toxic) and Viper GC (Mental Cube), unless people really think that devs magically appear to write a bios/firmware for a mod that isnt commercially available yet...

they have the rights and its their product and also, they need testers to prove it works an/or make udate programs before the product comes out

T-2000
June 25th, 2006, 18:44
i wonder how many people who have said the video might be fake, also said the modchip was fake too...

Zargon
June 26th, 2006, 03:39
I am not one to usually beleive things as soon as I read them, but this is really impressive and seems like it will work. I think the creators of the custom firmware deserve a big round of applause and, I can guarantee that I will be getting both UP and the Epsilon BiOS :cool:

(but if they don't work for some reason, I will be pissed:mad: )

SnoopKatt
June 26th, 2006, 08:01
Great, but it's too bad you need to buy a modchip to load it.

yamaneko
June 26th, 2006, 17:37
good for me, bad for Sony =(

Voltron
June 28th, 2006, 03:41
The video is not fake. All of this is real just like the MOD CHIP.

Loco Roco has a 2.60 requirement. The one loaded in the video was the "press release" or "demo". But even that still had a 2.60 requirement.

This will enable "game loading" - I just hope it works with compression.

I also hope this allows developers to develop more advanced homebrew and emulators by giving more access and resources such as Kernel and maybe more RAM.

pspuser8004
July 1st, 2006, 02:44
u guys are all little dumbasses **** hombrew it sucks the games are shity as **** id rather spend 50 bucks then play that homebrew shit **** that shit cause by the time the new version comes in october i bet u guys will want to upgrade cause im going to need that gps shit and whatever else there is.

Harshboy
July 1st, 2006, 03:02
****en noob

Wazzok
July 3rd, 2006, 12:46
u guys are all little dumbasses **** hombrew it sucks the games are shity as **** id rather spend 50 bucks then play that homebrew shit **** that shit cause by the time the new version comes in october i bet u guys will want to upgrade cause im going to need that gps shit and whatever else there is.
Do I detect a hint of bile?

I fitted my UP this weekend. Can't wait to try the Epsilon BIOS

mr_nick666
July 3rd, 2006, 12:59

It seems you have come to the wrong place then my friend...

I basically use my PSP for homebrew as 90% of retail games are s**t :D Spend your money like a fool if you wish and miss out on the glory that is homebrew :rolleyes:

Is there any need to swear so much either?? :eek:

Ghengis
July 6th, 2006, 00:02
PSPUser is just jealous -- probably bought a 1.50 then updated it 2.7 to play Barbie Horse Adventure or something, and is venting his impotent rage here ;-)

Zargon
July 13th, 2006, 23:45
I agree with you on only one thing in this post. *Asterisks* are the way of the future

mavsman4457
July 14th, 2006, 01:13
Would it be possible to lainch Epsilon Bios using Devhook? If so then that would be incredible. I think it would be a great idea.

EDIT: That should say launch Epsilon Bios.

the one and only
July 14th, 2006, 01:45
um... how many weeks has it been since this was announced? im just thinking epsilon have been rather well non-existant for the last few weeks. i mean it is getting close to a month since it was announced, but thats just me.

acn010
July 14th, 2006, 01:51
yeah.

Gizmo356
July 14th, 2006, 01:54
its trool

borgamix123
July 14th, 2006, 02:06
stupid news.. lol thsi is what is already happening only people with the modchip can run that custom firmware lol

mavsman4457
July 14th, 2006, 03:32
I don't see why Devhook couldn't run it.