PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: How to Access Pimpstreamer 0.62 Remotely(FW 2.6)

Berad89
June 25th, 2006, 04:41
Alrighty, after a day full of research and whatnot, I was finally able to stream videos and music from my computer to my psp from somewhere other than my LAN. I saw that many people wanted this too, and since I could not find a guide for it, I decided that I would create one.
**Before continuing, make sure you can stream via LAN first.**
List of things you need:
-Pimpstreamer 0.62(May work on other versions, I don't want to test it)
-PSP with FW 2.6(Again, may work, but all I have is a 2.6)
-Wireless Router
-ISP that supports a Static IP
-Time
-Patience

Alright. For this to work you must have your Windows Firewall turned off. I have ZAP turned on and it doesn't give me problems, but turn off Windows Firewall anyway. Instructions on doing so can be found here (http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm)

Alright, now that your Firewall is turned off, lets get working on your IP address. Go here (http://whatismyip.com).
This tells you your External IP. Your internal IP is probably 192.168.1.100 or something like that. However, in order to connect from somewhere outside of your LAN you must use your external IP. Once you find out your External IP, open up the pmp.ini found on your PSP. Mine was in J:\PSP\GAME\PiMPStreamer-0.62-fw15-fw2\PSP\2.x\PiMPSTREAMERV201

Now open up the pmp.ini and look where it says

uri = XXX.XXX.X.XXX:3333

In place of the Xs will be numbers. Well, we don't want those numbers. Take the IP that you got from Whatsmyip.com and past it in where the Xs are. Great.

In order for remote viewing you need to have a Static IP. I had a dynamic IP and found this (http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm) little guide that helps a bunch. Once you're done with that you need to set up port forwarding. In the pmp.ini file notice the ":3333", that is the port that you connect to. The default is 3333, however, for some reason I decided to use port 8080. So my line looks like

uri= =xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

Make sure you either leave it as 3333 or change it to 8080.
**NOTE: I didn't test it on 3333, 8080 worked for me.**

After your pmp.ini is set up with your external IP and has :8080 or :3333, go ahead and goto wherever you keep your Windoze folder. In the Windoze folder, open up Pimpstreamer.ini. In that file is a line that says

serverPort=3333

If your pmp.ini has 3333, keep 3333, but if you decided to go with 8080, change the server port to 8080 in the Pimpstreamer.ini.

Good, hope this isn't too confusing so far. Now we need to go ahead and set up port forwarding for our router. Go here (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm)
and follow the guide to set up port forwarding for your router. If you used 3333, make sure you're forwarding port 3333, and the same for 8080. For my Linksys WRT54G, you had to specify the IP Adress to forward it to, so go back to that CMD Prompt that you started earlier(remember, ipconfig /all) and type in that IP address where needed.**NOTE:ONLY FOR THE ROUTER. IT'S PROBABLY GOING TO BE A 192.168.X.X**

Now that you have your port forwarding set up, you should be good to go. I got this streaming at my girlfriends house which is about a mile or so away, and it worked fine. I didn't have an extensive library of movies to watch but they seemed to work fine. I don't like how mp4s mess up when trying to stream, and I've gotten the best results with .AVI, MPG, and MOV formats. I think a MOV crashed once and the MPG(Clayton Bigsby) worked fine. The music seems to work fine, but it did crash once when trying to play a song. That's one very annoying aspect of this. If the Windoze program crashes on your computer, it'll come up with "Current stream directory "" " crap and that's just annoying as hell. So try not to crash it and you should be fine. Hope this was helpful, if anyone has any questsions, I'll try to answer.

Gizmo356
June 25th, 2006, 06:35
thanx alot