PDA

View Full Version : What Would Make the Perfect Homebrew Console

wraggster
June 26th, 2006, 05:22
All of us who are fans or indeed coders of emulators and Homebrew games etc have our own opinion on what would be the perfect Homebrew Console.

Does the perfect homebrew console need a touchscreen and a built in hard drive?

Share your thoughts via Comments

Rekka1210
June 26th, 2006, 05:29
A HDD would be nice, but something like the PSP would be perfect (without sony always trying to stop the scene from progressing)

Video_freak
June 26th, 2006, 05:32
if the psp had a large micro drive (for less power consumption), sony didnt always try to stop legal homebrew, if it had a touchscreen, and if it had a little more CPU power it would be perfect!

ACID
June 26th, 2006, 05:32
touch screen no build in hard drive yesssssss. All the i love mi saturn and mi xbox ANd mi psp and gp2x

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 05:36
Power... lots of power fully avalible to the homebrew developer. A very large built in hdd, but also having memory card slots for taking data on the go. Online play is always a good thing. A good standard controller with a usb end. Also the ablity for people and companies to design their own completly different controllers by having the console be able to allow the installation of custom drivers for these different controllers. (I am talking about a home console not a portable.)

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 05:37
Of course people have to realize im a strange guy. with strange opinions anyway.
but in my opinion the perfect homebrew console.
Would be something along the lines of a do it yourself kit that's very inexpensive and easy to put together and completely open source. as far as features go. it wouldn't have to be portable. just a console one could hook to a tv set would be fine. It really wouldn't even need expensive parts, as long as it could read from a burnt cd or a memstick, that would be a perfect format for this imaginary console.
I mean these kits could be ordered online at most homebrew compliant retailers.
I know it probably sounds a little far fetched. BUt wow what a console like that could do for the homebrew community. Not only would we have homebrew software, but homebrew hardware too! but maybe its just a fevered dream, still its a damn good dream though :rolleyes:

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 05:39
it has to be both!
if the psp has both. uh wow. its ganna do amazing things, like nintendo DS emu on the psp and poke the screen to choose the main menu options! and and and lots of psx games for upcoming emu on the harddrive. :D

dtothabreezy
June 26th, 2006, 05:49
lots of power has to systems one handheld ones tv console hand held charges through consel fully custumizable hdd and an easy to program game maker o i wish:cool:

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 05:56
Of course people have to realize im a strange guy. with strange opinions anyway.
Would be something along the lines of a do it yourself kit that's very inexpensive and easy to put together and completely open source. as far as features go. it wouldn't have to be portable. just a console one could hook to a tv set would be fine. It really wouldn't even need expensive parts, as long as it could read from a burnt cd or a memstick, that would be a perfect format for this imaginary console.
I know it probably sounds a little far fetched. BUt wow what a console like that could do for the homebrew community. Not only would we have homebrew software, but homebrew hardware too! but maybe its just a fevered dream, still its a damn good dream though :rolleyes:

only a rich person can do that and fabricate one.

so, ummm......... WHOS FILTHY RICH!?!?!
XD

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 06:02
More along the lines. of some company like http://www.divineo.cn/ Could create the kits. I mean who sais one person would have to make em :p

The vision I had in mind was more like a pick and choose kind of thing. Where you pick what parts you want to build a custom hombrew system.

I think that would be so suave :cool:

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 06:03
a perfect homebrew consol hmm......well i would keep the basic layout of the psp add sum serious power into its system have no updates that try to limit homebrew like the gp2x well touch screen isnt a priority cause sum times it gets annoying thats just how i feel

ExcruciationX
June 26th, 2006, 06:04
A very powerful processer (Like 555 MHZ) and a big screen would be awesome.

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 06:06
More along the lines. of some company like http://www.divineo.cn/ Could create the kits. I mean who sais one person would have to make em :p

The vision I had in mind was more like a pick and choose kind of thing. Where you pick what parts you want to build a custom hombrew system.

That wouldn't be very "suave" for me because if you wanted to play someone else's homebrew game they made you would have to have picked all the same parts for your homebrew system.

Misleading
June 26th, 2006, 06:09
Thats simple. It has to be as sleek as the nintendo wii, as powerfull as the ps3, supporting homebrew like the gp2x, as easy to port stuff to like the xbox, Have wifi, 300 gig hardrive, hi def support, oh yea and not have firmware updates trying to kill homebrew unlike the psp, :D

He i can dream right :)

Voltron
June 26th, 2006, 06:10
I really think the PSP is best for homebrew. Sure it could be better. In some areas, a lot better. But it has a lot going for it. The following list would make it a dream come true.

1.) More processing power.
2.) More RAM
3.) Significant INTERNAL storage capacity. (Its not fair that my iPod has 60GB and my PSP has 0 :( )
4.) More efficient internal battery.
5.) Ability to safely flash or install custom firmwares and / or shells.

If they came out with a "Super PSP" with all of the above... WOW! It would be sweet. But I know its just a dream. I know a lot of people say touch screen but I don't see the big deal with touch screen. That just my opinion though.

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 06:11
That wouldn't be very "suave" for me because if you wanted to play someone else's homebrew game they made you would have to have picked all the same parts for your homebrew system.
If you wanted to play the best homebrew you would want to build a top of the line console :cool:

But still with it being completely open source, I can see a lot of developers makeing homebrew by a set standard, Believe me it would work a lot smoother then you think bro :cool:

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 06:20
If you wanted to play the best homebrew you would want to build a top of the line console :cool:

But still with it being completely open source, I can see a lot of developers makeing homebrew by a set standard, Believe me it would work a lot smoother then you think bro :cool:

yea homebrew would be alot smoother if these standards could be met but a company that would bring this consol to life would have to give up trying to create commercail titles no games of there own i have to admit im not sure but i think that if a company did this they could make alot of money depending on how many ppl actually know about homebrew not alot of the gaming population at this piont i could be wrong............maybe sega can get off there lazy asses and stop worrying about how to reinvent sonic and actually bring a consol like this to life........i know very unlikly..........this again is merly a fevered dream

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 06:22

lol suave.
so you want it like those gasoline radio control cars. upgrade hear, tweak their... replace that, and presto!!!!! a 2.6 GHZ micro processor, 256 ram 333mhz reaction/ transfer speed, touch screen, 21 buttons, long range Wi-Fi internal device, Blue Tooth technology, 1 TB memory storage capacity machine thingy!!!!!!:eek:
now im exagerating.:D

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 06:31
While its true, that only roughly 35% of the video gaming population knows about homebrew. this is because the commercial industry considers us a dirty little secret and steadfastly refuses to give us any credit. however while its true the commercial industry wont give us any props in new magazines, news posts ect...

The internet has done its job well. and not to even mention the psp itself have brought homebrew to the attention of many. believe it or not in the last two years. homebrew awareness has quadrupled
And now that the words out, i suspect it will continue to grow literally until every eye has seen and every ear has heard,

Quote the shadow, evermore!! lol

Amigamul8r
June 26th, 2006, 06:32
Hello,

at first, i want as much cpu power as possible (that 550mhz mentioned before sounds good).

A touch screen? Hm, don't know if i would really need it. But it's nice for on-screen keyboards for emulators. Better would be an optional palm-keyboard to be connected.

Memory such as a Harddisk is a must.

And very important: No tries to kill homebrew!

At all, it sounds for me like a new GP2X. A GP4X?

Greetings, Tobi (<- wants a portable amiga that runs @ realtime speed!)

PS. One question - how much would such a console cost...?

Chackan
June 26th, 2006, 06:35
PSP with full homebrew support. Just that i think :S

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 06:37
dam only 35% thats low but i do believe that this number will grow in the coming years the internet has done a great job of getting the word out.........imagin that your in a class room full of kids that have psp's and your the only one with a psp that has homebrew on it..........i sure your a god among them.........you'l hear oooooooo and aaaaaaa from them all..........the story of my life........but seriously i had many friends that didnt even know what hombrew was and explaining was piontless cause they were total noobz.......i try my best to get the word out

PS. One question - how much would such a console cost...?

my estmates like $500 dollars for sumthin like that maybe i could be wrong

Gizmo356
June 26th, 2006, 06:50
the number shall grow my friend

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 06:56
35% is not much. i remember when i first brought to school, i played at lunch playing snes on the psp and mostly every student on the table i sat stared at my psp and asking of how the hell did i put snes games in the psp and some till today are still amazed but with the N64 emulator.:D

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 06:59
35% isnt a lot, but its a drastic leap when you concider that just two year ago the number was only around 9% :cool:

Believe it or not, homebrew is spreading like wildfire, at the moment :cool: And the more people that know about homebrew the quicker the world will spread.
I figure by this time next year you can count on 70+% :cool:

Lol I still remember how I discovered homebrew.
I had just gotten my psp on launch day. and I started playing it, and I thought to myself, Gee I remember those little digital camras with the screens on them and zsnes has made a snes emu for them a few years earlier. And I thought wouldnt it be nice if there was an emu for the psp. so I googled psp emulation and poof, the first site that poped up was psp news. the rest is history :cool:

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:14
ha lika wildfire, yeah it will increase more, but theres a chance that it will turn illegal once everybody has homebrew and emus?
oh yeah, im the drunken kitty "Yam Yam" :D

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:15
woooooooohaaaaaaaa

70+ percent and thats from shadowprofet himself yea i beleive that homebrew isnt going anywere for a while and its definily gonna spread

btw im wondering after all the "next gen consols" are out you know ps3 xbox360(already out)nintendo wii.........after that then the next gen portable consols come out so then by that time we will see a very powerful handhelp that has great processing power and such.........i think it might come from microsoft with a sneak portable of there own.........again this is merly a fevered dream

EDIT--

ey shadow ya think microsoft might ever pull a fast one and hop into the portable consol race

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:18
ha lika wildfire, yeah it will increase more, but theres a chance that it will turn illegal once everybody has homebrew and emus? According to the GPU license, its impossibel to make emulators illegal. there are made by a completely homebrew toolchain. the law cant touch emulation there so perfectly legal :p Its roms that arnt legal,
But the argument we have for makeing emus are to play homebrew roms. the day will never come when emulators will be outlawed ;)

On a contrasting note, however comercial roms have always been illegal :o But since sites like DCemu dont host comercial roms or pirated meterial, We will be around forever bro, no worries :cool:

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:21
i think microsoft has something in their sleeve, cause they had released the Xbox way too early with pretty suspicios features.
thank you for reminding me me "guntims0103" ;)

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:24
BUt the thing about microsoft makeing a portable is,
It wont be focused soley on gameing. Of course the psp itself wasnt focused soley on gameing either tho.
I picture microsoft makeing somthing along the lines of a palmtop pc. and a comercial line of games.
If they ever go that path ;)

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:26
if microsoft ever does set foot in the homebrew race i think there portable will be extreamly powerfull processing wise and if they leave a small crack for homebrew to be possible that would be a plus

SUMTHING FUNNY--

i luaghed wen a group of ppl said that the psp2 is coming out and that it would have cell phone lik features..........i luaghed

another thing iv been hearing that nintendo was suppose to come out with a consol called the nintendo dolphin since snes was out lik all my friends would always say it.........im luaghing as i know thats a feverd dream for all of them

o yea your gonna lagh at this ppl iv talked to said that sega or neo geo was suppose to come out with a portable called the radar and it could emulate xbox:eek: i laughed until i past out:D :eek: friends have no idea wat there talking about

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:29
if microsoft ever does set foot in the homebrew race i think there portable will be extreamly powerfull processing wise and if they leave a small crack for homebrew to be possible that would be a plus

SUMTHING FUNNY--

i luaghed wen a group of ppl said that the psp2 is coming out and that it would have cell phone lik features..........i luaghed

another thing iv been hearing that nintendo was suppose to come out with a consol called the nintendo dolphin since snes was out lik all my friends would always say it.........im luaghing as i know thats a feverd dream for all of them Even if they dont leave some way for us to have open source, someone will exploit it soon enough ;)

Ps, the dolphin is an old roumor, I believe it was the codename for the nintendo 64 before project reality. I could be mistaken tho, It may have been the pre gamecube code name;)

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:30
you know what!
friking systems are turning into computers, the smaller, the better.
muahahahahahaha.
is that the girlie likey way?
cause mans talk is "the "bigger, the better"
or something that goes like that. :X

project Dolphin, hmm.... i heard it, that was long time ago and that was the name project for the gamecube.
it happend before, like now with the nintendo revolution is a project name and now the official name is nintendo WIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:33
dont ya mean big things come in small packages...lol

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:34
I was just thinking that exact same thing today.
When it comes to almost everything (BIGGER IS BETTER) except technology, its strange isnt it :p

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:34
that too.
lol
again:
project Dolphin, hmm.... i heard it, that was long time ago and that was the name project for the gamecube.
it happend before, like now with the nintendo revolution is a project name and now the official name is nintendo WIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:38
isnt it kind of funny watching sony desperatly try to patch up there psp so that to get rid of homebrew i mean its like watching a hobo search thru garbage to find a piece of candy..........sony tries again and again but theres always sumthing stoping them from succeeding.........i think homebrew is winning we got sony agaist the ropes what do you guys think

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:42
hmm... like a hobo, i thought the hobo was searching for a already chewed chewing gum. lol
there waisting money and time to patch new versions . but later they will succed for their goal

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:43
I think people are putting to much hope into the hard mod method these days.
I dont want to open my psp up and start soldering.
I wish there where still people working in the expliotation feild :(

Because lets face it, Those of us that do own 1.5 psp's are happy now. But psp's are fragiel there destined to break sooner or later. and what happens when they do break ? we are forced to buy a newer (un-downgradible psp) :(

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 07:44
I picture microsoft makeing somthing along the lines of a palmtop pc.
If they ever go that path ;)
You were right go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx) (I have known about this since march when it was unveiled). And the thing is that it runs Windows XP, so you can use any PC emulator with it.

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:47
I think people are putting to much hope into the hard mod method these days.
I dont want to open my psp up and start soldering.
I wish there where still people working in the expliotation feild :(

Because lets face it, Those of us that do own 1.5 psp's are happy now. But psp's are fragiel there destined to break sooner or later. and what happens when they do break ? we are forced to buy a newer (un-downgradible psp) :(

no need to, there available replacement parts at divineo, pretty cheap.
i found out one week later when i threw my old psp to the garbage cbecause the screen cracked . i was really disapointed :(

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:48
You were right go here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx) (I have known about this since march when it was unveiled). And the thing is that it runs Windows XP, so you can use any PC emulator with it. Its price and size, not to mention its marketing, will make it appeal more to the latop and pc junkie.
I dont believe this will appeal to the gamer as much tho:cool:

no need to, there available replacement parts at divineo, pretty cheap.
i found out one week later when i threw my old psp to the garbage cbecause the screen cracked . i was really disapointed :(

Bummer bro :( I know how ya feel. After I chucked my gamegear back in the day. and then got another that had different problems, I could have made a working one if i had kept the old one too.
Ever since then I always box up broken electronics and save em, you never know when they may come in handy :p

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 07:54
Cooe14, i saw this on best buy at the price of $600 dollars its a little too bulky to carry,

i still have the gamegear in crappy condition and still works ( except the sound, it sounds like dying birds chirping high pitched trying to survive from getting cut into pieces)
lmao

Cooe14
June 26th, 2006, 07:54
Its price and size, not to mention its marketing, will make it appeal more to the latop and pc junkie.
I dont believe this will appeal to the gamer as much tho:cool:
I want one :p . And the size isn't half bad (check out samsungs model, and it's heck of alot smaller than a laptop). The one thing that erks me is the price which is $600. But hey all your PC emulators and games (if they can run on the things specs) will work with it.

gunntims0103
June 26th, 2006, 07:57
well utimatly isnt the real reason that sony is desperatly trying to patch up the psp is to eliminate the umd ripper for iso's cant sony just put a block on there umd's like sum music cd's carry so that you cant rip the stuff thats inside the disk that would be easyer.........adn just leave homebrew alone but i dout they can do this........again a fevered dream

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 07:59
I want one :p . And the size isn't half bad (check out samsungs model, and it's heck of alot smaller than a laptop). The one thing that erks me is the price which is $600. But hey all your PC emulators and games (if they can run on the things specs) will work with it.
But really. and im not insulting this in any way.
But this is just a hybrid, between a notepad and a palm top pc. both design and price wise. I would much rather have a notepad or palmtop pc then this auquard hybrid child pc lol:p

RedKing14CA
June 26th, 2006, 08:01
TWO LETTERS; PC

edit: Personal Computer

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 08:02
But really. and im not insulting this in any way.
But this is just a hybrid, between a notepad and a palm top pc. both design and price wise. I would much rather have a notepad or palmtop pc then this auquard hybrid child pc lol:p
is a laptop potable enough? lol

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 08:04
This thread has become insanely offtopic.
And im to blame lol. And this is a really reallt good topic too. So lets focus on the topic at hand guys :cool:

*Topic Whats your idea of the perfect homebrew console:cool:

Night night guys im gone to bed :p

Check in the off topic. Im resurecting /(. )(. )\ :cool:

acn010
June 26th, 2006, 08:08
lol, true. well im getting off soon.
TOUCH SCREEN WITH 1TB MEMORY CAPACITY!!!!!!!!!!!
WHOOT WHOOT!!!

lovely psp ( +[___]:: )
and i also give thanks to nintendo for the DS that is collecting dust in my room.
[= [___] =]
[+ [___] ::] /

g2hayes
June 26th, 2006, 08:45
Hello,

i keep hoping that the amiga emulator will be updated so it can play Sensible World of Soccer at a reasonable speed. does anyone know that this is being worked on?

Website Design UK (http://www.hcoms.co.uk)

crazy_biker420
June 26th, 2006, 08:54
any console with 1 ghz

demetris
June 26th, 2006, 09:25
A perfect console must have:
1.A very good bright tft screen
2. Force feedback
3.Battery life efficent
4.A proprietary os that supports commersial games and homemade apps indipentantly.A seperate sdk for homebrews
5.Support from game companies
6.Upgradeable software and bios.New features and new drivers
7.common suport of media type used (mini dvd-rom anyone?) :)
8.A very good hand handling so our hands dont get heavy and painful in extreme usage.Lightweight

OzZ
June 26th, 2006, 09:43

I think there is already something like that on the market! I've heard of it before reading this thread and I think the description fits.
I haven't read further through the site because it seems to be a bit old-fashioned and in contrast to that expensive (for a student).
Here ya go: XGameStation (http://www.xgamestation.com/about_xgamestation.php)
http://www.xgamestation.com/multi_img_display/what_is_it/xgs_me_img_1.jpg

emuking
June 26th, 2006, 10:56
pc, but whats cool is the xgp wich i hope will come out soon

emuking
June 26th, 2006, 10:57
edit: i meant which lol

samidgley
June 26th, 2006, 11:16
Originally Posted by shadowprophet
I know it probably sounds a little far fetched. BUt wow what a console like that could do for the homebrew community. Not only would we have homebrew software, but homebrew hardware too! but maybe its just a fevered dream, still its a damn good dream though

Is that not a PC you have there?

danknugz
June 26th, 2006, 12:25
NUMBER 1- TV OUT!
more storage
other than that, it IS perfect

nonarKitten
June 26th, 2006, 14:50
The PSP is perfect, but too locked down now. So I'd say there's two options from here.

1.) ActionScript 3.0 for very complex Flash/Shockwave files including the possibility of emulators. I wonder though if under Flash the 333MHz PSP could emulate a Commodore 64. This could be improved through the inclusion of a number of libraries around that add 3D and other gamey functions.

2.) A UMD based dev kit that allows user-level (no kernal level) software to be ran from memory/rom in a micro-os of somesort (a simple linux build, perhaps). The OS would be sufficient to control privellages, ensure the UMD is not removed, and maybe add some useful things like runtime libraries, basic multitasking, memory allocation, etc. It could cost a fair penny (say $199), but if it included some good docs and libraries, it would be worth it.

Gizmo356
June 26th, 2006, 15:22
infinite memory and the best graphix card ever also no security firmware updates

bm4n
June 26th, 2006, 15:30
I know it probably sounds a little far fetched. BUt wow what a console like that could do for the homebrew community. Not only would we have homebrew software, but homebrew hardware too! but maybe its just a fevered dream, still its a damn good dream though

Derrr....have you ever heard of a PC? You can do whatever you want on it...in fact, all the PSP "home brew" software we have came FROM PCs...just go spend 50 bucks on a piece of crap and you can run SNES on your custom homebrew machine...wooo.:rolleyes:

xiringu
June 26th, 2006, 16:14
For me the perfect one would be:

-256/512/1Gb/2Gb RAM for programs and VM. (64mb is insufficient)

-Looooow power consumption (Work on AA batteries and solar panels)

-No HD/CD/UMD that makes it heavier and consumes more power.

-Connect to any external storage device (eg. 400 Gb usb harddrive), all kind of memory cards, etc

-Touchscreen for anything, from entering the name on the highscores, to writing emails with it, or control the games.

-TV out

-Comfortable controls to play (PSP controls are so uncomfortable for me :( )

-Could be used also as a PDA, not only to play.

I think those are the most important things for me.

Video_freak
June 26th, 2006, 17:55
While its true, that only roughly 35% of the video gaming population knows about homebrew. this is because the commercial industry considers us a dirty little secret and steadfastly refuses to give us any credit. however while its true the commercial industry wont give us any props in new magazines, news posts ect...

The internet has done its job well. and not to even mention the psp itself have brought homebrew to the attention of many. believe it or not in the last two years. homebrew awareness has quadrupled
And now that the words out, i suspect it will continue to grow literally until every eye has seen and every ear has heard,

Quote the shadow, evermore!! lol

i didnt know about homebrew until i bought my psp :)
i'm glad i did though, for homebrew beats commercials ass lol :D

Bobby Lemain
June 26th, 2006, 18:21

It's technicly alredy done.... all we need is a menu which controlls all emulators on a computers hard drive, maybee even a custom OS, plus a new video card to alow hook up to a tv, and last but not least, a stack of cd's holding roms, possibly programs, and what not... plus if you use a small case like this http://www.microcenter.com/image.phtml?id=0231495&sku=988188 then all will be good!

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 18:21
Derrr....have you ever heard of a PC? You can do whatever you want on it...in fact, all the PSP "home brew" software we have came FROM PCs...just go spend 50 bucks on a piece of crap and you can run SNES on your custom homebrew machine...wooo. That's not quite what I had in mind.
And anyone that can define the entirity of homebrew down to just snes emulation,
Has no earthly idea what homebrew really is:confused::confused:
Nooooo, I believe I said ((custom console?))
((Not custom obsolete pc))
There's several differences between a huge massive pc and and what I had in mind, Mainly being that these custom consoles would have designer technology that focused more on the gamer then what pc technology would. mainly meaning multiple controller ports, smaller design. built in wireless network. built in Av out, Most if not all of these features. while possible on a pc. only make a pc larger and more cumbersome. definitely an eyesore to throw on any given shelf in an entertainment center.
That's like someone saying gee. I would like to have some custom parts to modify my xbox with. and someone coming along saying DERR have you ever heard of a Macintosh

lol

It's technicly alredy done.... all we need is a menu which controlls all emulators on a computers hard drive, maybee even a custom OS, plus a new video card to alow hook up to a tv, and last but not least, a stack of cd's holding roms, possibly programs, and what not... plus if you use a small case like this http://www.microcenter.com/image.phtml?id=0231495&sku=988188 then all will be good! And yet I agree with this post 150% And why do you ask Bm4N? When his post is still pc inclined? Because this user was somewhat respectful and Didnt meet me with rudness like Derrr. That you so very rudely did.

Plus that is a perfect case for the type of console I had in mind:cool:

Harshboy
June 26th, 2006, 18:40
Actually, im helping make a Hombrew Console:D Check it out at: Here (http://blackbox.jconserv.net/index.php)

Its called the Blackbox. My Designs for the casing are:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/Harshboy/Blackbox_00C.png

We will be using a 32 bit PIC on it. Controller ideas by me are:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/Harshboy/revision.jpg

Join now, make us famous:p Btw, i am not the person who came up with this. Im helping design it, not building it. I might become a beta tester.

shadowprophet
June 26th, 2006, 18:47
Actually, im helping make a Hombrew Console:D Check it out at: Here (http://blackbox.jconserv.net/index.php)

Its called the Blackbox. My Designs for the casing are:

We will be using a 32 bit PIC on it. Controller ideas by me are:

Join now, make us famous:p Btw, i am not the person who came up with this. Im helping design it, not building it. I might become a beta tester.
Looks awesome :cool: Will these ever be available for order?

jwilds73
June 26th, 2006, 19:01
We desperately need more processing power and ram. Alot of emulators are limited by the processing speed and ram restrictions of the PSP. The GP2X has abit more ram and dual processors so some emulators have progressed further on it (Neo Geo MVS). I'd also like to see more buttons (atleast four shoulder buttons) and a second analog stick. After this then all the fluff features built in HD, Touch Screen, TV Out, and more. First though we need the processing power and ram.

sitexec
June 26th, 2006, 21:11
THe point is, with a re-flashing modchip coming out, we can test various flash attempts without worry, this is a huge step towards attacking the newer firmwares, just relax, we will prevail

Harshboy
June 27th, 2006, 01:27
Looks awesome :cool: Will these ever be available for order?

Yes, once the beta testers recieve them and give bugs and stuff, we will start selling them. NOTE: I am not the designer of the console. I know nothing of PICs and that...i just draw designs:p Join the forums to recieve maximum info.

The 80s Man
June 27th, 2006, 01:50
For me the most important thing that I have never seen on any handheld gaming device is the ability to plug in different analog controllers such as mini track balls and arcade spinners. Also I want to be able to rotate the system or the screen 90o and have decent controls to use for vertical games.

acn010
June 27th, 2006, 03:47
OMG!!!
lets not forget a UMD BURNER already installed psp!!
hombrews on a UMD is fun!!!

randall
June 27th, 2006, 23:25
hand held touch screen with hd... palm anyone??
even has a makeshift dpad

Aryn
June 28th, 2006, 08:00
My idea of a perfect homebrew system would be a more powerful version of the GP2X with a touch screen and microphone. Of course, backwards compatibility with older homebrew portable systems and the ability to run homebrew from other popular portable and non-portable console systems would be an excellent feature, although I suppose getting that to work would take a lot of time and effort. Another essential feature would be an easily replaceable front plate, no matter how careful you are that clear screen viewing area will get scratches on it eventually or dust will end up under it and directly over the screen. I suppose the ability to control some games by tilting the handheld system. As somebody else mentioned, using other controllers with the system while it is hooked up to a TV would be cool as well, adaptors that allow using controllers for most console systems could be manufactured as well.

BALL_SAC
June 28th, 2006, 09:57
.... Sounds like a very expensive handheld buddy.