PDA

View Full Version : PSP VS GPx2 (price, memory)

RedKing14CA
June 26th, 2006, 07:59
How much is the GPx2, and what does it use for memory.... i want something that can play all my anime... i downloaded trigun (5GB) and want to watch it anywhere, also hellsing (2gb) and i download alot of tv shows, because i hate cable (i have it, with hbo, but it SUCKS)

i was thinking 10-30GB Ipod Video, but having to transcode videos, YUCK...

then again most of them are .OGM....

whatever do i do?

(I have a 1.5 psp with a 4GB hd, but i'd have to transcode the videos (ogm's wont transcode via pspvideo9) and then transfer onto the SLOW hd with a chance they'll play all skippy, or not at all)

stotheamuel
June 26th, 2006, 09:06
http://gp2x.allack.co.uk/MemoryCards/index.php

gp2x memory cards.. idk what it comes with standard though

yaustar
June 26th, 2006, 16:28
SD cards (so far) up to 4gig is supported.

N1ghtshade
June 27th, 2006, 02:47
I'd be a lot more interested in GPx2 if I knew how much it costs.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the ApeXtreme console? I think it was Linux-based. Not portable though

yaustar
June 28th, 2006, 16:18
£125 for the unit.

Crimson_Lotus
June 30th, 2006, 00:48
PSP has more polished products currently. It also has more power and has official games readily available. With the new modchip and upcoming homemade epsilon firmware, it will most likely be a modder's dream and a Gameplayer's dream.
GP2x on the otherhand, has a linux OS allowing it to do those things already. Retail games are rare, but do exist. The support hasn't quite hit a highpoint yet and since the GP2x lacks the amount of power and mods the PSP has, it tends to slowly progress. Snes emulators, for example, are top-notch on the PSP while the GP2x Snes emu is slow and unreliable.

For the price of a modchip and a PSP you can although get a GP2x and perhaps two-three 2gb SD cards. I have found them as cheap as 40 dollars.

Gizmo356
June 30th, 2006, 01:02
i think a psp is a better choice

yaustar
June 30th, 2006, 11:27
Someone hasn't been keeping up with the GP2X. Squidge has manage to find a software hack to increase all emulators (and possible games) by 10-20fps including the snes emulator. We are pretty much getting full speed with sound on a lot of emulators at 200mhz on ONE core. If we ever crack that second core then I really can't wait to see what will happen then.

To tell me that support hasn't hit a high point is silly. The number and quality of developers working on the console is about the same as the PSP.

The breakout has just been released so hardware mods galore. http://www.gbax.com/gp2xbreakoutboard.html

Also don't forget about the difference in release dates, the PSP was out for at least twice as long as the GP2X and has already catched up.

In terms of retail games, the PSP wins hands down in that department because the GP2X was designed for homebrew/home development where as the PSP was not.