PDA

View Full Version : Do MMORPG's Cause People to Buy Fewer Games at Retail?

wraggster
June 28th, 2006, 16:51
NPD reports that the video games industry isn't doing so hot in 2006. Information on a report found at GameSpot indicates that consoles are down, but PC titles are up, led by MMORPG sales. From the article: "Do MMORPG's benefit the industry by bringing in more actively involved gamers? Or do they bleed money away from other companies in the industry as MMORPG players spend their money on subscriptions and skip out on trying other games that hit the shelf because they already have something to go home to?"

Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/06/23/1534251.shtml)

bullhead
June 28th, 2006, 16:58
Ive never even played an mmorpg! Am I missing out?

Kaiser
June 29th, 2006, 08:06
Ive never even played an mmorpg! Am I missing out?

MMO's are a special type of game for a special type of gamer. You either like them or you don't. I'd reccomend getting one of those free trials a lot of companies offer to test the waters. ;)

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 08:34
consols are better

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 08:39
But if You love rpg's you must try its not your normal 80 hrs rpg and its you against everyone.

bullhead
June 29th, 2006, 12:37
I hear though if you get into them too much, they will ruin you...

DenofLions
June 29th, 2006, 12:46
I hear though if you get into them too much, they will ruin you...

Moderation is the key. I admit I'm far too into World of Warcraft (played for 48 hours at once one time) but if you balance the time you play with other activitys they won't ruin you.

Oh and as in joke to WoW players: Don't forget to eat.

NiGame
June 29th, 2006, 13:40
I played Everquest 2 for a year, now playing World of Warcraft - but i have a Xbox 360 with 7 games + a few Xbox games, a PSP with 9 games (+emulators) and most new PC games and I play them all ;)

(EQ2 have 2 lvl 70's, 1 lvl 62, and 3 low lvl's)
(WOW have 3 mid 20's - 30's)

razorak
June 29th, 2006, 15:04
i must admit...a couple of MMORPGs are extremely addictive. I've been laying MUonline for pretty long now...that's where i got my pic from
<<<<<<<
but after a while that so called 'fiery passion' runs out and before u know it, u'll be looking for others forms of entertainment...it certainly starts to get a little boring at lvl 235 ^^

i tried diablo2(the expansion pack..i forgot the name) for a while but something weird happened to me. Within days of playing it, i had been struck down by a virus...a persistent fever...aching body... But the moment i stopped, i began to get better. Feeling better, i played it again and my illness got worse. When i completely recovered( only happened after i stopped completely) i check with friends and a couple gave me this response.

'It is said that some games ( includes card games) has prayers/ cirses said over them to make the game more addictive'

pretty disturbing if u ask me...my opinion- better safe then sorry ^^