PDA

View Full Version : Datel claims new Action Replay works on PSP Go, we hope cautiously

wraggster
December 25th, 2009, 21:39
More on the very interesting news from Datel:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/12/action-replay-psp-box.jpg

Now this is interesting. Datel, which is well known for enabling all sorts of hacks on varying consoles, seems to have just introduced a refreshed version of its Action Replay PSP. What's new, you ask? Why, PSP Go support, of course! In the item description, we're told that those using this on Sony's UMD-less portable console will have to install it directly on the inbuilt memory, but one of two things has to happen (in theory, anyway) for that claim to be true. The first is that Datel is now an official Sony partner, which is about as likely as you getting a Foleo for Christmas. The other is that Datel found a way to run unencrypted code on the PSP Go, and if that's the case, we've got an idea that the homebrew junkies in the crowd will be all over this in search of further exploits. Hop on past the break for a promo video, and if you're down with shelling out funds for something that may or may not work as advertised, it's all yours for $24.99.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/25/datel-claims-new-action-replay-works-on-psp-go-we-hope-cautious/

Art
December 26th, 2009, 06:08
Sounds great, I don't think an actual employee of Datel did this though.
More likely someone sold it to them (whatever it is).

Anyway, sounds like something me & my Phat PSP don't need.

PSPdemon
December 26th, 2009, 20:44
Sounds great, I don't think an actual employee of Datel did this though.
More likely someone sold it to them (whatever it is).

Anyway, sounds like something me & my Phat PSP don't need.

it is the crypto.... they cracked it thus now can sign their own code...

I'm sure though you knew that :P

might be niffty for non-cfw psp users out there....but we cfw users have alot better alternatives ;)... although this does mean there will be more ( as if we already didnt have enough.. ) cheaters in online games :/

symbal
December 26th, 2009, 22:28
Question is will Datel release this signing method to the homebrew community? they stole enough from it so let's just see how gratefull they really are.

PoorKingz
December 27th, 2009, 02:59
I bet they bought it from someone.

Qmark
December 27th, 2009, 16:03
Sony is smart to "partner" with Datel. Cheating is one of the few "legitimate" reasons to CFW a PSP. The other one (homebrew) will likely be dealt with sometime in the next year.

The logic is simple, really: Give the masses a (paid) way to cheat, then toss in a (paid) method of creating hombrew content, no matter how crappy and crippled, and not only does any "legitimacy" in hacking the official firmware go away, but any attempts to cheat in games or develop software without giving some money to Sony or an affiliate becomes "stealing" in some sort of a perverse legalistic sense.

However, the more likely scenario is that this Action Replay follows the recent history of the rest of them - it works great for a few months, then becomes useless when it's blocked by an update.