PDA

View Full Version : Sony Reckon they Will have 7000 PSOne Games on the Emulator for PSP by 2007

wraggster
June 28th, 2006, 18:30
Well Sony must have a PSP version of Bleem or VGS because thats a bold claim, heres the article:

Final Fantasy titles, Silent Hill, and Castlevania to launch with PSOne emulation service. First details inside.

The latest issue of the UK PSP Magazine has several new details on what the near future holds for the PSP-PSOne emulation launch titles.

No release date was announced, but Sony did confirm that it plans to have up to 7,000 PSOne titles available via the service by the end of 2007. Several titles announced for launch were revealed, including Tomb Raider, Castlevania: SOTN, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and Silent Hill. There will be other titles at launch as well but no other titles have been announced at this time.

The magazine also mentions that a new firmware update will be released for the PSP around the launch of the PS3. We'll keep you updated if any new information becomes available.

Interesting news for PSOne Emulation Fans, What do you think of their Claims :)

article via AMN (http://psp.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=3147)

Valiant
June 28th, 2006, 18:43
Wow it is like all your guy's dream come true...FF Fanboys! (Though I hope for FF 9 most actually...). Though I am highly anticipating Silent Hill for PSP..now that will be hot (and if this is true..then it shall be showing up relatively soon...by 2007 at least). Sigh...now if we can squish SH2 on it that would make my day to succumb to a firmware update

pimpjuice10
June 28th, 2006, 18:44
Where There Even 7000 Psone Games Even Made???

Lumir
June 28th, 2006, 19:07
OOO MMM GGG !!! !!! !!!

O_O O_O O_O O_O O_O

xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD

Wholly!!! Lemme read that again... 7,000 ps1 titles by 2007!!! #@%$)(#@U$

Omg i think im might have to update, this is just to good to pass up, omg FF7!!! CastleVania SOTN!!!

*Shock*

Hawq
June 28th, 2006, 19:08
Maybe theyre counting all regions & v1.0 & v1.1 of any games that had two versions?

Lumir
June 28th, 2006, 19:10
Where There Even 7000 Psone Games Even Made???

Im willing to say there were at least 10,000 different titles (unconfirmed).

bosanova_x
June 28th, 2006, 19:12
whip crackin bone smashin action by the sound of things. cv sotn on psp!!!!

but what firmwear will it be, and will homebrew be able to run as well as the official psone emu?hmmm.

I have all the good psone games anyways but to see them on my psp.... twill be a force to reckoned with.

chop chop sony.

Accordion
June 28th, 2006, 19:14
wow
sony is finally upping its game...

Cap'n 1time
June 28th, 2006, 19:14
Couldnt care less. :p Im such a party pooper.

Nafogel
June 28th, 2006, 19:50
wow, 7000, i didnt know there were that many, any possible way for 1.5 users to take advantage of this, possibly emulating the flash or flashing the prx file temporarily to your psp? i sure hope so, this is gonna be sweet, i might just update, but probably not...

Kaiser
June 28th, 2006, 20:05
Mmmm portable Resident Evil.

YourStillWithMe
June 28th, 2006, 20:13
see that people? Final Fantasy friggin owns! Finfal Fantasy VIII forever! anyone know anything about the "Cost" yet?

rock_light
June 28th, 2006, 20:17
can't believe more ppl are psyched about this than the camera.

i doubt most of these games will look much better than on pc epsxe.
epsxe has save states and basically free games cuz eveyone has psx games lying around.
finally, how do you expect to play ff7-8 with any less than a 2gb card anyways,

Questions I have:
Are you allowed to backup your roms onto cd? What's to stop pirates from getting around that?
Are the games edited/altered for more compatibility?
How much will games cost roughly?
Is this why US never saw most PSX ports for PSP so far? (Bof3,MML1&2,ToD2)
Is this emu based on CVGSsrc?

Unless...
$ony uses this as a chance to release previously un-released versions/translations of games we never saw in our reigons!
THEN THAT WOULD BE INSANELY AWESOME!!
Rockman Complete Works in eng, FF7 Jap ver!?!
FF8w/chocoboworld poket station support.

I would buy a mod for those games, but i still wouldn't update.

EllandRoad Dave
June 28th, 2006, 20:22
I want FF7 definitely - I still have the PS1 ver kicking around somewhere.

mat_dizzy
June 28th, 2006, 20:28
it would probaly come out on umd seing as they want as many people to upgrade from 1.5 possible!

i would actually buy it... but considering im not really for buying emulators... but c'mon, psx on ur psp? ;)

anyway i would want to have pandemonium, the crash banicoot games and spyro games on mine... and possibly tomb raider!

thanks for the info :)

jimjamjahaa
June 28th, 2006, 20:52
"finally, how do you expect to play ff7-8 with any less than a 2gb card anyways"

they said ridge racer came out at ~40 mb after compression

remember the ps1 wasnt powerful enough to decompress textures, sounds or movies on the fly so they all had to be stored in wasteful uncompressed formats.

"Are you allowed to backup your roms onto cd? "
doubtful. i think sony have already said they will be released through an e-distribution service

"What's to stop pirates from getting around that?"
not too sure.... it seems to me that you could simply rip your downloaded eboot on to ur pc and bit torrent it away. maybe they are taking an itunes-esque approach and selling the games cheap enough to make it no point in pirating. if each game was < 10$ i would prefer to browse an official online catalogue even though i am constantly getting stuff off bittorrent

"Are the games edited/altered for more compatibility?"
they will have to be for a lack of 2 shoulder buttons

"How much will games cost roughly?"
no idea, hopefully <$10 but deffinately <$20 (thats my opinion tho)

"Is this why US never saw most PSX ports for PSP so far? (Bof3,MML1&2,ToD2)"
doubt it

"Is this emu based on CVGSsrc?"
no idea what that is

i think this is awesomness incarnate. being able to find all those rare games without trawling through second hand shops. if they are cheap enough this could rocket the psp's popularity

but sony and cheap are very rarely seen together. its either expensive (ps3) or free (pnp online network)

zackforbing
June 28th, 2006, 20:57
Touché, $ony. I'm suspicious- they must have known about the UP when they announced this, and are waiting to actually RELEASE the emu until they've found a way to block the UP.

On that thought, it makes me wonder how many OTHER SWEET innovations somy has sitting in a drawer somewhere, waiting until the next big homebrew thing comes out, then they fix it in the next firmware and then slap something out of that drawer onto the FW to get kids to upgrade. *******s.

tophead420
June 28th, 2006, 20:57
Mmmm portable Resident Evil.
lol i feel you dood but instead of resident evil mmmmmm FF7 AND my all time favorite for ps1 FF8 and will the games have to be downloaded from the thier site i wuz just wondering about that but never the less cant wait for its release:D

publicprivates
June 28th, 2006, 20:59
mmm portable final fantasy tactics that doesnt suck.

Rekka1210
June 28th, 2006, 21:02
I cant wait for this:

Castlevania: SOTN!
FF7 & 8
Crash 1, 2, and 3
Spryo 1,2, and 3! (were there 3?)
Metal Gear Solid
Syphon Filter!

all on the psp, sounds like heaven to me!

idapimp
June 28th, 2006, 21:12
what happened to the psone emulator that was being developed by i think pacmanfan? i want to see some homebrew ps1 emulation. we have people working on n64 and GBA but no ps1? why? i'm sure it's possible.

mog
June 28th, 2006, 21:36
Surely final fantasy 9 is one of those 7000 games!! right?!
I can't wait to play lots of cool Japanese and US PS1 games that never reached the UK! :)
Can't wait til november!! PS3, and the PSP firmware that plays PS1 games!!

mmm portable final fantasy tactics that doesnt suck.Lol, we already have that; it is called final fantasy tactics advance and it's on the gba. :p
Although the two games are pretty different, I havent really played the ps1 game due to it never being released in the UK! :mad:
The gba one rules though!

FF8w/chocoboworld poket station support.That sounds cool, but I recon it's very unlikely. It's not like we can connect a pocket station to the psp...
Would be cool if they create a pocketstation emulator to work with the ps1 games on psp. :)

SINIStER
June 28th, 2006, 21:46
It sounds good and every thing but i'd rather stick with hb games and such then to upgrade for a ps1 emu.I enjoy more the games that our talented co-members realese then ps1 games I already own...just my opinion!

Tanis6909
June 28th, 2006, 21:55
yea, thats cool and all, but you realize how much they will charge for something like this?? i bet it'll be through the frickin' roof.

i felt lucky that i caught on to the homebrew before i upgraded past 2.6, and i think thats right where i will stay....i think i was more excited to hear that i could play Bionic Commando and Final Fantasy 2 & 3 on my psp (for absolutely nothing) than i am to hear that in a year, i will be able to play some ps1 games, at a price surely dictated by Sony.......NesterJ and Snesx forever!!! ;)

neoalucard
June 29th, 2006, 00:39
i don't care what the cost... for sotn on psp i will buy another psp.

samthegreat68
June 29th, 2006, 00:44
this got me excited but for some reason, i have a very bad feeling about all this. its gonna cost an arm and a leg for sure and i bet you have to download them directly from your psp through wireless internet. and the emu is going to be included in the new firmware and you can only delete ps1 games not back them up or anything. and all this will be done through the ps1 emu's menu.

DPyro
June 29th, 2006, 01:08
No, Sony will make you create an account in order to download PS1 games onto your memory stick.

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 01:17
dam thats a lot

YourStillWithMe
June 29th, 2006, 04:29
tophead420---I agree with you so much FF8 is the best to all you FFVII fans-your classic and most cherished game was destroyed due to Advent Children that movie was horrible.

lostless
June 29th, 2006, 04:44
To the one who didnt know what CVGS was. CVGS (Connectix Virtual Game Station) was an old PS1 emulator that was originally released on mac back in 1998 and cost aroudnd 30 bucks if i rememver. It complatibility and speed were excellent and the developers chose to make that top priority instead of improving the graphics of the games. So the games still ran at the orginal 320x240, but they sill looked very good on the computer, even thogh they were a tad blurry. About 6 months later, they did a port for windows, which ran exacly the same as the mac version. after about a year a, sony decided to go after the prgram and had it taken off the shelves for a few months, but it came back. Few months after that, and sever court battles over the possible reverse engineering of teh ps1 bios, sony just flat out bought the emulator, sorce code, ect., from connectix.
It is very likly that this is CVGS since it was a very good emulator and ran on a 250mhz G3 just fine back in the day. I miss it since apples OSX classic mode just wont run it, and the intel macs need windows installed to run it if you have a windows version. But by now, other ps1 emus are probably (like PCSX) alot better by now.

Tron_Fan
June 29th, 2006, 05:31
I cant wait for this:
Spryo 1,2, and 3! (were there 3?)

Yes, there were.... and I think I would like to play them again on the PSP. Also Soul Reaver, for sure. Medievil got a PSP port already, but I'd like to play the original version again (with the ant hill this time) and also Midievil II.

FF VII is #1 on my list of all time best video games, but to be honest... I don't know if I can bring myself to play it all the way through again. It was a great game, but I think one time through it was enough for me.

Tron_Fan
June 29th, 2006, 05:34
your classic and most cherished game was destroyed due to Advent Children that movie was horrible.

Really? I thought it was pretty good.

ninja9393
June 29th, 2006, 06:59
WOW!!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!!:) :) :) :) :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :) :cool:

modchips looking preety good about now
Now sonys making me think twice if i should update my
psp.7000 titles, MGS better be on and tekken 2.

YourStillWithMe
June 29th, 2006, 07:02
Tron Fan-I work at a video store currently so I have grown to view movies VERY analaytically and I despised it. I'm a Final Fantasy fan and have been since the launch of the NES US version (and the 2 jap ones) and I think FF7 is awesome but soooooooooooo overrated. My friend the other day was trying to explain the religious references to me and I could really have given a damn. I think 8 is better because the characters in it are all misguided and misunderstood by society and they represent people of today in my opinion. It's not JUST about the love story its all about the deception of each character and everyone deceives one another and its human nature to do so. umm the Lion Heart? Best Limit Break EVER!!!! and cm'on my Final Fantasy fans FFVII cell phone game? FFVII: Crisis Core haha What there doing now with that FFVII is like beating a dead horse.

samthegreat68
June 29th, 2006, 07:02
tekken 3 is way better.

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 07:54
Couldnt care less. :p Im such a party pooper.

Here Here its not like you can get 7000 games to play of the bat im sure it will be all regions and remember more then likelie you will have to pay for it.
There two party poopers.

lucidtraveller
June 29th, 2006, 08:18
sounds like a good reason to get a 2nd psp (updated firmware) but that would also depend on the cost of the games..... my 1.5 will always remain a 1.5 but it would be nice to play the old ones again (lost about 300 games in a robbery....idiots forgot to take FF7 and FF8 though)

castlevania and kagero would be my first picks then the original abe's oddyssey i think.

7000 does sound too high though....

i think this whole thing is a move to counter Nintendo and their upcoming emulation thing though, a good move though since it will keep people happy with some already proven great games while they pump out the crappy ones and learn how to create for the new machines.

rambling...need sleep

Shiesty
June 29th, 2006, 09:15
no worries about cost here

there will either be a different ps1 emu out by then or we will be able to get sonys version + games for free, they cannot stop us!!11

cheapos unite

mr_nick666
June 29th, 2006, 11:23
no worries about cost here

there will either be a different ps1 emu out by then or we will be able to get sonys version + games for free, they cannot stop us!!11

cheapos unite

Yeah.. Once the roms are available someone will make a homebrew emualtor for them (I hope!) :) (I just dont want to lose my 1.5!) :p For my money Id like to see FFVII, Soul Reaver, Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash :D

aleborri
June 29th, 2006, 12:24
I hope the scene guys get some way for the psone emu to work on homebrew so that we can use our psone collection and not having to purchase all games twice. :D

NiGame
June 29th, 2006, 12:59
wonder with the way the PSP will link with the PS3 wheather you will be able to play it on your telly while the PS3 does sone AA and AS filtering ;)

I retract that comment Just remembered the PS3 is supposed to be able to play PS1 games eck NM

ninja9393
June 29th, 2006, 18:17
tekken 3 is way better.

:eek: tekken 3 was fun but it was no tekken 2

scottyboynow
June 29th, 2006, 19:30
omg this will i have 2.71 and i wanted this.this be brill do u have to pay though If You Had To play it would only be about £1-2 pounds($3-$4 Dollars) (if it was downloadable on to memory stick)(5 pounds for it on a UMD) for ffVIII but this would be good. i can imagie myself playing final fantasy on my psp.:eek: :eek: :eek: :) :D

Voltron
June 29th, 2006, 21:39
I really hope Sony heavily researches price points. If these are priced to high ($10.00 - $25.00) People will only buy maybe 1 or 2 games once in a while.

The price better be like $2.99 - $9.99 at the most. The games will have a downloadable delivery method so it these PSOne "ROMS" make sony almost 100% profit. If these are not priced affordably I will strongly encourage and support some sort of exploit or DRM work-around.

I am also really excited to learn about compression and size results. I think Sony knows that the average PSP owner will NOT have a 2.0 or 4.0gb memory stick so they would need to make these downloadable games SMALL. Also for download speed reasons. If a person had to wait all day for 1 PSOne ROM to finish downloading, it would really turn off a lot of people to their promising service.

Or another solution to size worries is that I bet you can store these PSOne "ROMS" on the PS3's HDD and wirelessly transfer or stream the games to the PSP. Now THAT would be sweet!

Gene
June 30th, 2006, 02:50
if they were priced at 3-5 dolars then people would buy a lot, and sony would be seeing a hefty profit+the people buying the games would be happy. thats how it should work, unfortunately it probably wont work that way.

ninja9393
June 30th, 2006, 04:17
i will still probaly buy three games at the most if it was $3.00 - $5.00 + a second psp (ebay) one for homebrew and one to to use this update for it, so im not to excited about it, I might not even do it. It just dosen't seem worth it :mad:

So I might be the 3rd party pooper:p :p ;)

mog
June 30th, 2006, 04:45
Just think, if sony were to let psp owners play 7000 PS1 games on their psp for free.
How popular do you think PSP UMD games would be?!

I don't think sony makes a profit from selling the PSP Console itself (they probably loose money).
And the servers these huge games will be downloaded from cost money to buy and maintain.
Also the employees needed to create and maintain the PS1 emulator (or whatever it is) cost money.

So why would they give PS1 games away for free, when they make their profits through game sales?
Who would really buy UMD games when you can play a decent game like the original metal gear solid or FF7/8/9 for free? :rolleyes:

FFVII fans-your classic and most cherished game was destroyed due to Advent Children that movie was horrible.
How can you say advent children was "horrible"??
That movie was great!!
I have played and completed FF7 on both PS1 and PC several times over the past 8 years, and welcome the telling of the rest of the story.
I didn't really appreciate just how amazingly deep the story was until reading the game script of FF7:BC and watching FF7:AC.
Also, you should read the translation of "The Maiden who Travels the Planet".
That story tells in detail what Aerith was doing during disc 2 & 3, while she was in the lifestream where the souls of the deceased can communicate.
She plays quite a big role in many of the events during discs 2 and 3, more than you'd notice just by playing the game. :cool:

The only thing I didn't like about that movie is that it was for FF7, and not FF6!
I've always hoped that one day they would make a FF6 movie showing the full story in high quality CG animation! :p