PDA

View Full Version : Kernel mode under PSP firmware 2.6 * The proof of concept * Release Facts

wraggster
June 28th, 2006, 19:21
I think its great that a new Proof of Concept release of the abillity to use Kernal Mode has come about but certain sites are using this news to sadly claim the news all for themselves, the author of this work Franck Charlet deserves the credit, heres the original newspost from him:

Kernel mode under PSP firmware 2.6 * The proof of concept *

I finally found a way to access kernel mode under Sony's PSP running under firmware 2.6.
I uploaded the exploit into the Misc. Source codes section.

Remember that the authors site is here --> http://perso.orange.fr/franck.charlet/

More info at this newspost (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27601)

If your a coder then download the source code and give your feedback via the comments

We shall be very interested to see what develops from this exploit as it is worked on.

UPDATE

Just so you all understand you will stil need an old unpatched UMD of GTA Liberty City Stories when this release finally happens.

gunntims0103
June 28th, 2006, 19:38
this is a great development i just hope that these developers work with fanjita to creat a new e-loader (which im sure there doing) with full kernal mode capabilitys

BL4Z3D247
June 28th, 2006, 19:47
yeh i can't wait...i wans't expectin this for a while...im now glad i upgraded to 2.6...thanx a bunch guys u've made ALOT of ppl happy and keep up the good work

counterwise
June 28th, 2006, 19:54
i personally don`t care who discovered it or stuff like that. Homebrew wins no matter who made it

devilmob
June 28th, 2006, 20:19
I can't wait for the release of an eloader using this exploit. All I want is for the emulators to run at full speed, and kernal mode being almost accesible for almost all psp users, will make this happen. :D

Moning2
June 28th, 2006, 20:32
kernal, 3 times, HORRIBLE, all these ' and I and . all good, but then, the A, it's kernEl!!

:D anyway, I hope the next eloader release will feature this exploit, would be nice :D

sirhax0r
June 28th, 2006, 21:11
Maybe this will make the base of a future downgrader...? Or a hack to allow unsigned code to be run from the XMB (Or whatever its called) menu...? Hmm...

tophead420
June 28th, 2006, 21:17
k im no coder but i have to say it looks as if things on this discovery are moving along very well keep up the good work guys and cant wait for its amazing release :D

pspfan
June 28th, 2006, 21:20
sirhax0r, there's a possibility of patching the firmware to run homebrew from the XMB, but it would probably be by flashing the PSP. On the other hand, the chances of a downgrade are almost none. The version number is no longer stored in the index.data, it's stored in the IPL, which is encrypted and probably won't ever be decrypted.

psiko_scweek
June 28th, 2006, 21:31
right now the main thing is to get the exploit in a usable form.

Once that is done then i think the next task should be trying to patch the ram similar to how 'NoKXploit' does for the FW 1.5 to run FW 1.0 games.

Once this is done, it *should* be possible to run all PSP 1.0 applications from the XMB in the fashion that FW 1.0 and FW 1.5 does.

The catch though is that GTA is STILL required to apply the patch and most likely the patch will be in the RAM and not in the FW (like NoKXploit) so if the PSP was shut off, battery died, or if the PSP crashed the patch would have to be reapplied through GTA.

But, this is a great improvement and it may eventually lead to a downgrader but dont hold your breathe about that.

Shilo
June 28th, 2006, 22:14
This is the best news that I have heard in a long time! Now I won't have to waste $90 on a mod chip :)

Searching4me123
June 28th, 2006, 22:19
this is so cool i was so mad when i updated to psp 2.6 like back when it just came out and now since i got grand theft auton and the eloader and all the awsome homebrews i m now happy :'( sry cant hold it on lol

extreemiL
June 28th, 2006, 22:34
sweet does someone have 2,5 or 2,6 eu firmware for download?

Kramer
June 28th, 2006, 23:29
a guy called dark alex has released a downgrader for 2.6 and 2 people got there psps to downgrade and another guy bricked his so im not posting any links
just have to wait and see what happens with it.

Cooe14
June 28th, 2006, 23:49
Could we you this exploit to get a firmware 2.6 dump? That way devhook would be able to emulate firmware 2.6 and I could actually play my monster hunter freedom UMD instead of watching it collect dust.

gotmilk0112
June 28th, 2006, 23:50
DOWNGRADER AHOY!!!!! or not? :confused:

pspfan
June 28th, 2006, 23:57
Cooe14,
I think you can crack the encryption of a firmware if you have kernel access, which would lead to it being decrypted, and then we could emulate it on DevHook. So, yes, I think this leads to 2.6+ firmware emulation once they get it working.

gotmilk0112,
Read my last post:

On the other hand, the chances of a downgrade are almost none. The version number is no longer stored in the index.data, it's stored in the IPL, which is encrypted and probably won't ever be decrypted.

You might be thinking: but you just said the encryption could be cracked with kernel access. However, I was talking about the firmware encryption, not the IPL encryption. We can decrypt 2.5 firmware, but we still don't know the IPL encryption, so we can't make a downgrader for it.

gotmilk0112
June 29th, 2006, 01:21
DAMN! :p

nyrtrublue
June 29th, 2006, 04:33
www.pspbrew.com has a downgrader made by dark alex it is 2 of 4 so far im impressed but i already have 1.5 and just wanted to let u know kramer stole my thunder so ill give u the link g/l and be careful

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 04:59
That is great now all they need to do is eliminate GTA from the picture.

RetroGoth
June 29th, 2006, 06:11
great I'm so proud to be a 2.6 user since I got my psp a week ago. CANT WAIT THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Wally
June 29th, 2006, 06:44
Anyone thought of trying to get this contraption running on 2.70?

pspfan
June 29th, 2006, 06:46
wally,
Won't work on 2.7 for one reason: the GTA exploit was patched in 2.7. The kernel exploit is most likely still in firmware 2.7, but there would be no way to run the kernel exploit because the eLoader doesn't worked because the GTA exploit was patched in 2.7.

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 08:06
I dont see hitchhikr keeps releasing "concepts" to show that he's actually doing the project.

I want to see the offical release soon... I wonder if there is a confirmed date?

BL4Z3D247
June 29th, 2006, 08:22
I dont see hitchhikr keeps releasing "concepts" to show that he's actually doing the project.

I want to see the offical release soon... I wonder if there is a confirmed date?
well u know fanjita, he doesn't do the confirmed dates it gets done when it gets done...thats just how he is lol, but yeh i can't wait either :D

the one and only
June 29th, 2006, 09:05
lol the 1st thing im gonna do is irshell. then a few hours of smash gbpsp

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 09:29
lol the 1st thing im gonna do is irshell. then a few hours of smash gbpsp

me too

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 10:46
This is so exciting... I just cant wait.
Im going to do so much crap with my psp.

NO MORE USER MODE FOR MY SNES EMU!!!

Accordion
June 29th, 2006, 11:15
why would we need a downgrader if we can play kernal homebrew on this anyway????

miguel123
June 29th, 2006, 17:59
*cough* gta *cought*

D0N
June 29th, 2006, 18:40
why would we need a downgrader if we can play kernal homebrew on this anyway????

Some people don't like the idea of using GTA all the time to play homebrew and want to downgrade so they can boot thier homebrew from the PSP menu.

sheng
June 29th, 2006, 18:48
yep... I'm sick of the longish load time to get to my games.... also the fact that not all apps have a exit functions because they believe that people can just use the home button... which does't seem to work that well under e-loader... cause long load time to get back to where you were before...

amadeus
June 29th, 2006, 19:01
I've got no problem at all with using GTA.
You only need to run it once per session and then most programs now have an exit to loader function.

If not just hold both triggers and start seems to exit most.

Is a 30ish second startup per session so bad?
Hell my G5 is only slightly faster than that booting up!

I dread to think how the people moaning about the GTA load time would have coped in the old speccy days.

5 mins to load a game off a tape!:eek:

Baboon
June 29th, 2006, 19:02
yep... I'm sick of the longish load time to get to my games.... also the fact that not all apps have a exit functions because they believe that people can just use the home button... which does't seem to work that well under e-loader... cause long load time to get back to where you were before...

Totaly argree with ya there!

This new development sounds very promising... fully working home brew for all! :D

mcvader
June 29th, 2006, 19:34
is this really such a good thing?
fw2.6 up to this point has had no illegal uses
no kernel access = no piracy
this type of exploit is the kind of thing that would encourage sony to dedicate even more resourses to stop homebrew of any kind.

i'm no coder (wish i was) but i am aware of the legitimate uses for this exploit extra speed in emu's ect, but is the trade off worth it?

Maybe Fanjita could find a way to code the new eloader to allow kenel mode but still not run programs that advocate piracy as i've read that fanjita is against piracy.

someone may have already touched on this issue but i don't have time to read all the 200+ posts.

I upgraded from 2 - 2.6 for the final fantasy film and regretted it untill i found a megadrive emulator that worked on it.

P.s, I put this same post on the other thread on this topic but am unsure if that thread is still being posted on.