PDA

View Full Version : NEOGEO Emulator for PSP beta 2

wraggster
June 28th, 2006, 22:40
NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/#download_alpha) has yet again updated his excellent NeoGeo CD Emulator for the PSP this is the second beta:

Agreement it could not do the correction which goes, but the following release ahead suitable (perhaps several months later)  It may become, because is, it renews. Because it is modification point large number, please read readme.txt.

Hmm translation didnt make a deal of sense.

but anyway

Download and Give Feedback/ Compatability Reports Via Comments

Thanks to Tatsujin for the news in IRC :)

NovaKane
June 28th, 2006, 22:42
Can't wait to try it out!

wilbur
June 28th, 2006, 23:10
Tried this out with a few Roms mentioned in the list, Namely Metal Slg 3, Sengoku 3, Garou.

Amazingly, Garou was playable without sound but there was some real choppy title graphics and the character select screen/life guage was real glitchy. This version also made other games like Waku Waku 7 a bit choppy.

Metal Slg 3 didn't start up for me, as didn't Sengoku 3 and Prehistoric Isle 2 didn't, whereas before it did but was hard to see through the glitchy graphics.

Is this a similar story to everyone, or has anyone had any joy with the newer games like metal slug 3/Sengoku 3?

Any chance of a translation of what the readme/list texts say?

not here anymore
June 28th, 2006, 23:42
tip : press Square when highlighting a rom for sound test

Cho Aniki
June 29th, 2006, 00:07
The converter tool within the zip has been updated to 0.2 so possibly we need to do new cache files to see any speed improvements since the old ones might be useless now , im just speculating tho:) hopefully someone will translate the readme.

shinysuitman
June 29th, 2006, 00:29
once again, NJ has done an excellent job. a few changes to the overall feel of the emu, but all good stuff.if this is still beta, i wonder what else he is planning on doing? that would be cool to see samurai shodown 2 at full speed with no jags.... *drools*

SINIStER
June 29th, 2006, 00:55
Just beat mslug vehicle 001 with hardly ANY slow down...NJ is great:) and yes u can use your old cache files.I did for mslug and it ran amazingly smooth.

fucht017
June 29th, 2006, 01:06
Tried Art of Fighting 3 and it runs smoother...only the sound and graphics stutter a bit...Playing almost fully playable NEO GEO toppers is...well...AMAZING realy!..I never thought i say it to a guy, but i realy love you NJ:D

cazmiester
June 29th, 2006, 01:19
this emu is totally unreal nj is achieving miracles i check the site every day for updates its that good oh the people who said the new list of working games is wrong from what i can see it clearly states said games ie metal slug 3 still doesnt work keep up the brill work:) :)

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 01:28
Yes, very well done

NovaKane
June 29th, 2006, 01:47
Omg, my comp keeps freezing/crashing everytime I try to convert Garou and SVC Chaos. I need a new comp. Has this happened to anyone else? I'll just convert the smaller roms I have for now and come back with an update later.

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 01:56
trying it rite now

/(o )( o)\

repuken2
June 29th, 2006, 02:07
Tried a couple:

SvC Chaos: Omly few secs of slowdonw in the first fight, after that constant full speed (frameksip 0 ). Amazing!!!
Metal Slug X: Same as above.
Metal Slug 3 Doesn't work
Sengoku 3 Doesn't work
Kof2000: Lots of slowdonws, frameskip increases and decreases. Must have to do with lot of different required data to be accesed all the time
(IE. : Strikers !!!).

Also Kof 95, World Heroes Jet and Metal Slug run fullspeed with no slowdown now.

GREAT JOB NJ, i can't believe my eyes!!!.:D LOL:D

xiringu
June 29th, 2006, 03:10
i'm downloading right now...

it's here!!!!! wooohooooo

let's try it!!!!

AFK... lol

SmashinGit
June 29th, 2006, 03:14
This is such an accomplished emulator and it is supposedly still a beta!

grit
June 29th, 2006, 03:18
Nigthmare In the Dark is running perfect!
ThanX NJ, Outstanding!

NovaKane
June 29th, 2006, 03:19
So uh yeah, I tried:

- Kof 94 (full speed)
- Kof 95 (full speed)
- Samurai Shodown 2 (full speed)
- Waku Waku 7 (some lag)
- Metal Slug X (some lag, no sound)
- Kizuna (some lag @ the start of every match and even when you tag out)

- Samsho 1, Eightman, and Fighter's History Dynamite all run at full speed too.

I really just wanted Garou, SvC Chaos, and maybe Kof 2002 but they won't convert for me :(

Great emu however. I hope the end product is just as good as the NCDZPSP one. Keep up the great work.

xiringu
June 29th, 2006, 03:25
oh man, how did we enjoy b4 all this homebrew stuff coming drop by drop to our psps?

i'm totally hooked to all these websites, checking every minute for the last piece of software to test out.

what I mean is...new games are great, but look at us...we are not expecting new games, but the same old ones to work a bit better...and every fps more or a new option that makes us play the same old games we used to play and we long for is (for me) much better that the sensation of getting a brand new game to play.

how I miss playing lotus in my Amiga, or Kick Off 2... sniff

who cares about PREY or QUAKE v2324 or HL 24?

I want Blood Money and Xenon 2 back!!!!!!

tatararataratata..(remember?) ;)

grit
June 29th, 2006, 03:29
how I miss playing lotus in my Amiga, or Kick Off 2... sniff

who cares about PREY or QUAKE v2324 or HL 24?

I want Blood Money and Xenon 2 back!!!!!!

tatararataratata..(remember?) ;)

Yeah.. My PSP is a time machine too. :D

Nobunaga
June 29th, 2006, 03:39
I keep getting an error which tells me that I can't find my bios. This one did work on beta 1. Any help?

Nobunaga
June 29th, 2006, 03:47
To be precise,this is what I read:ERROR:CRC32 not correct."Europe MVS (Ver.2)" Press any button. Help!

grit
June 29th, 2006, 03:50
Forgot to mention: Pulstar! - I Love Shmups!

oninotsume
June 29th, 2006, 04:09
I was just looking at the authors homepage, and he posted a beta 2 bug fix. (eboot only) that apparently lets games like Metal Slug 3, etc. run.

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/files/ngepsp_beta2_bugfix.zip

I haven't tried it yet, but hey it sounds cool.

The authors also says that he's kind of lost the motivation to work on this project at the moment, so he's going to concentrate on fixing some bugs in NeoGeo CDZ instead.

He also says there are a lot of things that he would have liked to fix but couldn't, so unless something really dramatic happens soon the next release won't be for a couple of months.

Voltron
June 29th, 2006, 04:22
i'm totally hooked to all these websites, checking every minute for the last piece of software to test out.

what I mean is...new games are great, but look at us...we are not expecting new games, but the same old ones to work a bit better...and every fps more or a new option that makes us play the same old games we used to play and we long for is (for me) much better that the sensation of getting a brand new game to play.

Yeah, I feel the same way. PSP Emulation & homebrew in general is much more exciting than any commercial PSP game. It is very addicting. You find yourself constantly scouring all of these sites for new info, releases, etc.

NJ is an amazing coder. period. The Neo CDZ EMU of his is remarkable. And now this. Thank you very much NJ!

I was just looking at the authors homepage, and he posted a beta 2 bug fix. (eboot only) that apparently lets games like Metal Slug 3, etc. run.

The authors also says that he's kind of lost the motivation to work on this project at the moment, so he's going to concentrate on fixing some bugs in NeoGeo CDZ instead.

A beta 2 fix? Already? Awesome! Does Metal Slug 3 REALLY play? Its sad to learn that NJ may be putting this EMU to rest for a while. I'm comforted however, that he plans to continue CDZ and he's not giving up the projects.

Two postive things:

1.) NJ works & codes with an unreal determination & dedication.

2.) New developments may open up more doors and maybe make it easier for coders like NJ to make improvements in their work.

The future is looking brighter and brighter for the PSP

SmashinGit
June 29th, 2006, 04:35

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/...ta2_bugfix.zip

He also says there are a lot of things that he would have liked to fix but couldn't, so unless something really dramatic happens soon the next release won't be for a couple of months.

Thanks for the heads up oninotsume

NovaKane
June 29th, 2006, 04:46

That sucks that he's lost motivation so early in the beta stages of this project. This emu pwns. Besides, what's wrong with NeoGeoCDZ? It's literally perfect. It's by far one of the best emus out there. Oh well, we can enjoy what we have for now until things get rolling again. Beta2 is still great however.

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 04:57
NJ dont do it we all depend on you the CDZ is basically perfect what more can be possibli fixed in it you still rule best coders NJ & ZX

Voltron
June 29th, 2006, 05:09
NJ dont do it we all depend on you the CDZ is basically perfect what more can be possibli fixed in it you still rule best coders NJ & ZX

The TYL team (http://yoyofr.fr.st/) should be added to the 'best coders' list. Snes9xTYL 0.4.2.ME is an excellent EMU. Also, NJ's Neo CDZ EMU is based off of TYL's NeoCD EMU.

It is good news that NJ wants to perfect Neo CDZ. It gives us an even better EMU and then when he feels it is perfect, I'm sure he will continue with this NeoGeo EMU. Keep up the excellent work NJ. I know you are in Japan but you have huge global support.

repuken2
June 29th, 2006, 05:33
I discovered something guys if you want to save some space on the MS:
Given that the newer games don't have sound you can delete the sound roms from the zip to save space, this are the "v's" ones (V1,V2,V3,V4, etc).

ATTENTION: Be sure to keep a complete romset backup for the time when the games will have sound.

oninotsume
June 29th, 2006, 05:41
Just a little update.

Metal Slug 3 works. A little choppy, but good.

Back to work...

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 05:45
Gameplay very smooth for most game, only if sound will there.........

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 05:46
KOF 2003 and Metal Slug 5, work great

SINIStER
June 29th, 2006, 06:30

So do we just replace the other Eboot with this one?

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 06:34
[QUOTE=oninotsume]I was just looking at the authors homepage, and he posted a beta 2 bug fix. (eboot only) that apparently lets games like Metal Slug 3, etc. run.

So do we just replace the other Eboot with this one?

Yes you just replace the PBP you downloaded here in this web with the one from the link.:D

SINIStER
June 29th, 2006, 06:41
Thanks Acidburn05 your always helping us clueless guyz out! lol

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 06:49
Yes sengoku3 work now

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 06:54
Thanks Acidburn05 your always helping us clueless guyz out! lol

No problem always here to help we all started from nothing at one point right eany help i can give im here or pm me. That goes for eany body.

Cause im no prune:D

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 07:42
again a new Beta 2 bugfix 2

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/files/ngepsp_beta2_bugfix2.zip

SINIStER
June 29th, 2006, 07:49
again a new Beta 2 bugfix 2

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/files/ngepsp_beta2_bugfix2.zip
WOW and i thought NJ said he lost interest in this project...2 bug fixes in one day,just shows how determined a person can be.Keep up the GREAT work NJ!!!

b8a
June 29th, 2006, 07:57
Guys, he hasn't lost motivation for this. It's just a temporary lack of enthusiasm.

The other news posts from NJ's website:
<div style="width:95%; margin: auto; margin-top: 1%; margin-bottom: 1%; padding: 2%; background-color:rgb(230,230,230); border: thin black solid">binary Download beta 2<ul><li>Although I haven't made fixes to my own satisfaction, it looks as though the next release may be a few months down the road (at worst a few months), so I went ahead and updated it.
There are numerous changes, so please read readme.txt.</li></ul>binary Download beta 2 bugfix 2 (just the EBOOT.PBP)<ul><li>This is a fix for games such as mslug3 whose screens weren't displaying.
Only the EBOOT.PBP is included, so please download ngepsp_beta2.zip.</li></ul><del style="color:red">I don't think that this works with the Debug BIOS, so please be forewarned.</del> - Fixed(operation hasn't been confirmed)<ul>*I've done a light check and can't seem to find any problems.<li style="list-style: none">For the time being, these are my plans for the future (as these also pertain to NCDZPSP, I'll be operating on them in parallel).</li><li style="list-style: none">1.Fix the timer processing.</li><li style="list-style: none">2.Fix the Z80 core.</li><li style="list-style: none">3.Fix the sound processing.</li>The next release (planning on Release Candidate 1) as soon as these changes are completed. This will probably take quite a bit of time, so please wait patiently.</ul></div>Change to the readme file: (the portions I haven't translated should be the same as the previous version)
<div style="width:95%; margin: auto; margin-top: 1%; margin-bottom: 1%; padding: 2%; background-color:rgb(230,230,230); border: thin black solid">beta 2 What's changed

A lot's changed. I've forgotten what's been changed, so I'll just write done the things I can remember. I'm planning the release candidate next, and unless there's some sort of a dramatic development, I expect that'll be a few months down the road.<ul><li>I've made it so that games which couldn't load due to lack of memory can now load without sound. It's nessecary to convert the file with the file converter. However, even though they launch, they're far from playable. Also, as of present, I have absolutely no plans to make it so that you can play them with sound.</li><li>Due to what I mentioned above, I've updated the ROM converter. It's nessecary to convert encrypted ROMs as well. Also, for the time being, I've made it so that you can perform conversion on small sized games as well. As it looks as though the file select dialog doesn't display on Windows 9x OS', I've updated the compiler to VC6. Also, I've made it so that zip files can be converted by simply dragging and dropping them on romcnv.exe.</li><li>Since I discovered that there's a bug in CZ80, I've updated it to MAME's Z80. I plan to revert to CZ80 as soon as the fixes are completed.</li><li>I've changed the timer processing. Accordingly, the problem with Crossed Swords, and a number of other games, where the framerate would drop dramatically has been fixed.</li><li>By fixung the sound processing, the problem with the BGM playing back at a slower speed than previous versions has been fixed. There's still situations where the tempo slows down but, at the present state this is the best possible solution without having an effect on the gameplay. Since it's pretty time-consuming, it'll be a way off before a solid solution is found.</li><li>I've made the SRAM save format the same as MAME's format. Accordingly, all of the old files will be deleted. Also, I've made it so that all of the SRAM files are deleted in the event that the BIOS is changed.</li><li>By making a few adjustments to the feature used for debugging the sound, I've made it so that you can perform a sound test. Since it's exceedingly simplistic, there's only a function for playing back BGM. In the file browser, select the file you'd like to use and press the ? button to launch it.
<ul><li style="list-style: none">? Button: Play the selected track number</li><li style="list-style: none">? Button: Stop a track while it's playing.</li><li style="list-style: none">? Button: End the sound test.</li><li style="list-style: none">L Trigger: Change the PSP clock (initial setting is 333MHz)</li><li style="list-style: none">R Trigger: Display help</li></ul>
There's a list used in track playback added inside the music folder. An English display list is under music/en. Please copy the folder for Japanese display by decompressing music_jp.zip and copying it to the music folder. If there's a Japanese list, it is given display presidence. If a list can't be found, it loads music/default.lst. However, there are still lots of bugs with sound refresh, so, even with a list, due to bugs in the emulation, it may not play back correctly or at all. I deffinately haven't setup every single game, so please create missing ones on your own. The format is as follows.
<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 style="margin-top:1%"><tr><td valign="top">$title</td><td>: Enter the game name to be displayed in the title bar.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">$samplerate</td><td>: Specify the playback rate. Please enter either 11025, 22050, or 44100. All of the included lists are at 22050.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">$pre</td><td>: Enter a 2 digit bank 16 base number, etc.. to be added before the playback command. For most games, "07" should be fine.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">$stop</td><td>: Enter a code used to stop playback of the track as a 2 digit 16 base number. I think that for most games, entering "03" for the reset code, and "20" for the stop code should work fine.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">$start</td><td>: Declares the beginning of the track list.</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">$end</td><td>: Declares the end of the track list.</td></tr></table>The track list should be entered between $start and $end. Please don't enter blank lines or comments. The processing is pretty rough so it'll freeze. The format is, after the 2 digit 16 base number, the track name is written in between to half-width space characters.<ul><li style="list-style: none">Example)
$title=Metal Slug
$samplerate=22050
$pre=00
$stop=03
$start
02 Neo Geo Logo
2b The Military System
?
2c Nazca Logo
$end</li></ul>Incidentally, a large portion of the included track list was made by referencing Mame E2J's Bridge M1 list.</li></ul></div>

Voltron
June 29th, 2006, 08:18
Thanks b8a, as always your translations and info is extremely helpful.

Nobunaga
June 29th, 2006, 09:36
Yes sengoku3 work now
how did you get it to work????It get stuck at "please wait" for me (I do notice that it is flashing sometimes). Am I using the wrong rom?

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 10:20
TRy another rom it works greatttttttttttttttttttt>

oninotsume
June 29th, 2006, 10:30
The same thing happened to me once too Nobunaga. Try changing your bios. On the file select screen push the L Trigger and you can choose a different bios.

I hope that works. This emulator is the pimp sh%t!

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 10:47
How does this emulater compare to Neo Geo CDZ?

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 11:39
Just tested "Rage of the Dragons" work great but not music/sound

Nobunaga
June 29th, 2006, 12:03
The same thing happened to me once too Nobunaga. Try changing your bios. On the file select screen push the L Trigger and you can choose a different bios.

I hope that works. This emulator is the pimp sh%t!

Yeah, found that out too. Thanks!!!

aleborri
June 29th, 2006, 12:17
I don't see any mention about lack of motivation or enthusiasm on the translation there, however it reads badly so I may have missed it.

In any case, awesome release, NJ has achieved to get 95% of the games for neogeo working and about 60% at full speed with sound, that's in about one month and 3 releases, incredible, kudos.

It seems that we can delete safely the sound files in the zip files since as fas as I've understood he doesn't think that emulation of big games will be achieved with sound, a pity but I can live with that :)

Currenlty got working kof2000, 2001, 2002, samurai shodown 5, svc chaos, garou, last blade 1 and 2, however it gets stuck in 'loading' with rage of dragons and matrimelee. I'm going to try a different bios since I updated the negeo.zip with the universal bios and maybe that's the source of the problem, I've tried usa, euro and japan bios to no success, so let's hope that fixes it.

Again, NJ congratulations incredible emulator, I can wait for the release candidate. Now the PSP is a fighter fan dream machine, with Street Fighter ALpha 3 Max, all the neogeo fighters playable now, plus tekken coming next week, and maybe with the psone emulator coming soon jojo bizarre and marvel vs capcom available too, it's almost too much fighting goodness :D

aleborri
June 29th, 2006, 12:20
One thing, how can I change to home version instead of arcade that comes by default? I would like to get to training but that's only available with the home version.

mameuser
June 29th, 2006, 12:29
I don't see any mention about lack of motivation or enthusiasm on the translation there, however it reads badly so I may have missed it.

In any case, awesome release, NJ has achieved to get 95% of the games for neogeo working and about 60% at full speed with sound, that's in about one month and 3 releases, incredible, kudos.

It seems that we can delete safely the sound files in the zip files since as fas as I've understood he doesn't think that emulation of big games will be achieved with sound, a pity but I can live with that :)

Currenlty got working kof2000, 2001, 2002, samurai shodown 5, svc chaos, garou, last blade 1 and 2, however it gets stuck in 'loading' with rage of dragons and matrimelee. I'm going to try a different bios since I updated the negeo.zip with the universal bios and maybe that's the source of the problem, I've tried usa, euro and japan bios to no success, so let's hope that fixes it.

Again, NJ congratulations incredible emulator, I can wait for the release candidate. Now the PSP is a fighter fan dream machine, with Street Fighter ALpha 3 Max, all the neogeo fighters playable now, plus tekken coming next week, and maybe with the psone emulator coming soon jojo bizarre and marvel vs capcom available too, it's almost too much fighting goodness :D

A true CPS2 emulator PSP will be great :)

ACID
June 29th, 2006, 13:11
How does this emulater compare to Neo Geo CDZ?

I think this one is better for the pure fact that you can have over 50 Roms taking the same space as 3 from the CDZ version but there both great

SmashinGit
June 29th, 2006, 13:19
Yeah i've taken the Neo Geo cd off of my psp now as even though this is still a beta it plays all the games I want and more.

bosanova_x
June 29th, 2006, 14:44
such a shame garou and svc dont play with sound,when they do I'll be dam proud to here garous sound.

Not saying that I'm not,I'm super impressed,just a little repressed that I cant here the sound of the games.shame.

either way this is one of the bet emus around,many thanks to NJ.

wilbur
June 29th, 2006, 15:09
This is so sweeeeeet.

i can't wait to try the bug fix and play Sengoku 3 etc.

~I'm loving this site at the moment. every day brings forth new fruit.

One Day, i may behold the baddest Arcade hall in my palm.-----that is wicked and bad

imagine a CPS-2 going on- got a feeling tho that if the Portable can only just handle some of the lesser Neo Geo title raster effects it'll have real difficluty with Capcom titles.

But, the emulators do work on the old 90's PC's so and as we've seen here, miracles do happen.

Woh, Maybe NJ is Jesus.....just turned 'Jesus of Nazereth' round.-i'm starting to believe