PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Racer Returns on PSP

wraggster
June 28th, 2006, 23:13
News from IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/715/715337p1.html)

The latest issue of Famitsu contains first details on the sequel, titled Ridge Racers 2 in Japan. Ridge Racers 2 continues where the PSP launch title left off, complete with a return of the nitro system, as well as all the drift-based racing that makes the series what it is.

Ridge Racers 2 adds a number of new modes to the original. In addition to the World Tours, Time Attack and Wireless Battle (still with 8 player ad-hoc support) from the original, you can now take part in Arcade, Duel and Survival modes. Arcade mode is set up like an arcade racer, where you attempt to reach a goal in a set time and earn additional time when crossing check points. Specifics on the Duel and Survival modes have yet to be revealed.

Bandai Namco is packing the title with cars and tracks. The game will include the highest number of courses yet seen in a Ridge Racer game. This includes 18 courses from previous games, spanning Ridge Racer to R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, none of which were in the original Ridge Racers. In terms of cars, the game promises six machine classes, each with three cars to begin with. You can expect a bunch of secret cars as well, include two special classes.

Ridge Racers 2 is being directed by Hironori Iriuchi, with game design by Mao Onaka. Both are somewhat new to the series. Onaka previously worked on Critical Velocity, and this is his first time working on a Ridge game. Iriuchi started work on the Ridge series with the first PSP title.

darrell_perry
June 28th, 2006, 23:23
weres the link to the game

shinysuitman
June 28th, 2006, 23:46
the first ridge racer that came out for psp was great. I still play it regularly, so im looking forward to this next installation

geise69
June 28th, 2006, 23:59
Ridge Racers was one of the main reasons I bought a psp at the japanese launch. I still play it to death. Nice to know a sequel is comming out!

DPyro
June 29th, 2006, 01:16
Woot, Ridge Racer!! Riiiiiiidge Raaacer!!! :p

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 01:26
i might get it but ridge racer 1 gets really repetitive race and drift race and drift boring

geise69
June 29th, 2006, 01:41
I take it you're not a big racing fan.

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 01:45
yes i love racing games i just think ridge racer is repetitive and not that great of a reward when you finish a race just a faster car i think i like the mini game
better than the acctual game

Cloud_35
June 29th, 2006, 03:47
Ridge Racers is not that good you know.

It gets boring after a while, and hey, there are more racing games out and better, like NFS:Most Wanted.

Voltron
June 29th, 2006, 04:08
Ridge Racers is not that good you know.

It gets boring after a while, and hey, there are more racing games out and better, like NFS:Most Wanted.

Yeah I never got this game yet. On launch day I bought Need for Speed Underground: Rivals instead.

Is this game THAT good? Better, worse, or equal to the Need for Speed games?

mr_nick666
June 29th, 2006, 11:32
weres the link to the game

LINK!?? - LOL! :D Its a UMD pay $ony for the privelage Im afraid! :rolleyes:

Should be a cool game though - RR1 was! :)

geise69
June 29th, 2006, 12:19
Well I've always loved Ridge Racer and it's style of drift racing. I feel it's a bit overboard on the drifting now though. It didn't used to be as much drifting needed in the first couple games. I have tried NFS and I'm not into that rice boy crap. Sorry. Ridge Racer has been around a long time and to me seems more of a professional arcade racer. I want arcade racing and Ridge Racers gives me that. NFS does not. I'm not saying RR is the best racing game ever it's just one that I personally like. It seems others either love it or hate it. I'm still going to be looking forward to a new Ridge Racers.

Psyberjock
June 29th, 2006, 23:01
I don't think we really need yet another Ridge Racer.

I agree that RR1 for PSP is boring and repetitive. Every turn you come to essentially requires you to drift. That's stupid. Why not make it a normal race game that has some sweet drift spots located in various places around the course. That would be much more interesting than having to drift every time you make even a slight turn.

I especially hate how you put the car into a slide. It feels like a transformer changing shape into a robot. Then when you come out of the slide it changes back into a car or boombox or something. Its not smooth and natural at all.

I personally like PGR. The style point idea is killer. That allows for drifting when absolutely necessary but allows for much more variety throughout the course of the race.

Gizmo356
June 29th, 2006, 23:24
I don't think we really need yet another Ridge Racer.

I agree that RR1 for PSP is boring and repetitive. Every turn you come to essentially requires you to drift. That's stupid. Why not make it a normal race game that has some sweet drift spots located in various places around the course. That would be much more interesting than having to drift every time you make even a slight turn.

I especially hate how you put the car into a slide. It feels like a transformer changing shape into a robot. Then when you come out of the slide it changes back into a car or boombox or something. Its not smooth and natural at all.

I personally like PGR. The style point idea is killer. That allows for drifting when absolutely necessary but allows for much more variety throughout the course of the race.

thank you