PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Mekanaizer's Tutorial

hanf
February 22nd, 2005, 19:12
I tried to fallow this tutorial (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/devcconfig.shtml) and it worked quite well. I could compile the example programm (its called "tunnel"), but when I wanted to boot it over the coders cable (connectet over comport 1), it said "*Error opening com port: the system can't find the file".

I bootet the Dreamcast with the Boot-CD from the Tutorial. The PC and DC are connectet over the coders cable. But when triyng to compile with this Line in the Mak File ("dc-tool -t COM1 -b 115200 -x $(BIN)"), it doesnt work. It says, that the Programm for the ComPort cannot be found. And it says it in german, these are the only words in german. because i have a german win xp system i suppose its the system which gives that message....

has anyone an idea what the reason for that problem could be? has it to do with the operating system, or with the project and mak file?

This is the compile log:

Compiler: Dreamcast
Building Makefile: "C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\DreamCast\tunnel\Makefile.win"
Executing make...
c:\Dev-Cpp\bin\make.exe -f "C:\Dev-Cpp\Examples\DreamCast\tunnel\Makefile.win" all
dc-tool -t COM1 -b 115200 -x tunnel.elf

Console enabled
*Error opening com port
Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

c:\Dev-Cpp\bin\make.exe: *** [all-after] Error 1

Execution terminated

This is the mak file.

romdisk.img:
genromfs -f romdisk.img -d romdisk -v

romdisk.o: romdisk.img
bin2o romdisk.img romdisk romdisk.o

all-before: romdisk.o

all-after :
dc-tool -t COM1 -b 115200 -x $(BIN)
sh-elf-objcopy -O binary tunnel.elf tunnel.bin
scramble tunnel.bin 1ST_READ.BIN

Mekanaizer
February 22nd, 2005, 21:38
Hi.

Try to change the com port from com/port1 to com/port2:
Like this:
dc-tool -t COM2 -b 115200 -x tunnel.elf

If it doesn't work try this:
dc-tool -t COM2 -e -b 115200 -x tunnel.elf

Try other com/ports to see where the coders-Cable is conected, if it doesn't work reboot or PC it may have the com/port with trash data in this way it is int.

-Mekanaizer-

hanf
February 23rd, 2005, 10:11
It worked with "COM1 -d", thanks a lot.

But I already have the next problem. (I hope this is the last one). How can I run the result on the DC? Over the coder's cable and over a self bootable cd. The DC is turned on with the boot cd, how can I send the necessairy information to it? And how can I burn the created files on a self bootable disc?

*Excuse me for the newbie questions*

elefas
February 23rd, 2005, 11:14
You have to download the DC-Tool. There is a version for pc and one for the dreamcast.
check this link http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dcapp&action=display&num=1089916339
for the pc software
and this
http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/dcload-serial/
for the Dreamcast

Here is a quick tutorial:
1. Burn the last one (dc-load) in a selfboot cd (I hope you know how to do this, there are quite a lot tutorials on that).
2. Boot your DC with it and
3. send via DC-Tool GUI the program you want to test (in .elf format).

P.S. I assume you have successfuly compiled your source code.

Hope it helps.

elefas
February 23rd, 2005, 12:04
Ok, I run a bit fast. Didn't read the whole post.
hanf, if you have followed the mekanaizer's tutorial you should not have any problems.

The dreamcast.mak file is responsible for sending the program you compiled to DC via coder's cable. This is done in line:
dc-tool -t COM1 -d 115200 -x $(BIN)
This will work provided that you have booted your DC with DC-Load. (http://adk.napalm-x.com/dc/dcload-serial/dcload-1.0.3-serial-nero5.zip)
That's how to run your program through coder's cable.

Now to create a selfboot cd with you prog, you have to download a little program name "selfboot" (just look for a selfboot tutorial) and burn to a CD the file 1ST_READ.BIN along with IP.BIN.

hanf
February 23rd, 2005, 12:08
Yes I have successfuly compiled the source and i have booted the DC with the dc load boot cd. now I have downloaded the DC Tool GUI. And there's the same error as before: The system cant find the comport. In the mak file I had to change the root from COM1 -b, to COM1 -d. Where can I change this direction in the DC Tool GUI program? I couldn't find it....

elefas
February 23rd, 2005, 12:23
Seems to me that something is going on with the com ports on your pc. Have you checked if everything is plugged in correctly? Also what com port are you using? The upper com port is com1 and the lower is com2. Where have you plugged in the coder's cable? I don't think -d switch does something, leave it -b. Are you sure your comports work ok?

in DC tool GUI I think (I don't have it in this pc right now) there is a setup where you can select the comport in use. check it.

hanf
February 23rd, 2005, 12:33
oh, i didnt see your second post:

yes: i've done everything as written in the tutorial: i have bootet the dc witch the dc load cd, and it says on the dc screen: dc load 1.03, idle... I have connected the DC to the PC and I compiled successfuly the source, with correct changes in the mak file. but the dc doesnt do anything.

(as i unsterstood it, after compiling, the mak file should open the dc tool.exe to send the programm to the dc, could there be a root which doesnt work?)

hanf
February 23rd, 2005, 12:40
I don't think -d switch does something, leave it -b. Are you sure your comports work ok?

in DC tool GUI I think (I don't have it in this pc right now) there is a setup where you can select the comport in use. check it.

1. There was an error while compiling, when I wrote "-b" after COM1. The system said (in system language german), it couldnt find the program for comport. I tried (as mekanizer told me) all letters, and -d was the first one which worked.

2. No I'm not sure if my components work. The coders cable is new, so it was never tested and I never connected something else over the comport.

3. In DC Tool I can only select ComPort 1-4, nothing else....

elefas
February 23rd, 2005, 12:49
Have you tried all COM ports 1-4? You shouldn't have such problem if your comports worked fine. if it happens to have an old external modem (that connects to comports) use it to test if your comports work properly.

Last but not least maybe your coder's cable is faulty. check it to another ( a friend's maybe) pc to see if it works.

hanf
February 23rd, 2005, 13:03
Yes, i've tried Comports 1 to 4. It doesnt work with DC Load GUI because THE OPERATING SYSTEM WIN XP sais, that the Comport cannot be found. This hasn't to do with the cable, but with the root to the comport.

The same error occured, when I was compiling the program with the mak file including "COM1 -b". I had to change the -b to -d.

hanf
February 24th, 2005, 18:49
So, I'm now trying to burn the compiled example program to a self bootable cd. Theres a tool called selfboot inducer, wich automatically create an image (which works), that opens an sbi file. So I tried to make an sbi file of the compiled tunnel exple program. I used the SBI Builder 2.4

There are 3 files: tunnel.bin, tunnel.elf and 1st_read bin. Which one do I have to change to a SBI file, and how do I have to add the other files? Is there something else I have to change (perhaps the .mak file before compiling)?

I think it can't be that hard to make a cd for dreamcast, but I never succeeded... and I'm getting lost in the hundreds of tools and tutorials avaiable on the internet....

hanf
February 24th, 2005, 19:02
I just saw theres a similar topic in the help forum, so plz answer my questions there....

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=help;action=display;num=1106611499;s tart=0#6

hanf
February 28th, 2005, 11:46
I managed to get the coders cable working. It was so simple, but because I'm not too familiar with the Windows World I didn't know about that before: I had to activate the Comport in the BIOS. Shame on me, but now its working finde. Great Tutorial. But I have already the next problem. So please check my topic in the Dev++ Section: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Meka;action=display;num=1109587222;s tart=0#0

PS. I know, I'm asking many newbs questions, but believe me: as soon as I will manage to create a working file myself drawing a picture and playing a sound, there wont be probles anymore. promised.