PDA

View Full Version : Torque Game Engine $100 to Independent Developers

Mental2k
January 24th, 2005, 08:22
Not sure this is the right place, but hey i'll say it here anyway. Mods will move it to the correct place. While doing a little meandering around the web i came accross garagegames, they are liscensing the technology behind tribes 2 for just $100(USD) per programmer. Could this source be ported tot he DC to allow cool 3D games, putting the money to the side for the moment.

Check out their FAQ at http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=category&qid=12 2

MetaFox
January 25th, 2005, 16:25
Not sure how portable to DC it is, but it would be fun to play around with for PC at least.

Thanks for the link, m2k. $100US is not a bad price at all.

Mental2k
February 3rd, 2005, 11:36
Thats what i thought, its a nice engine

kgenthe
February 22nd, 2005, 02:33
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/159200136X/qid=1109035739/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-1418779-3459813?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

And an amazing book to tell you how to use it :) I own it, an amazing read for anyone trying to get into the indie game scene (on the pc anyway). Includes a lot of free/shareware apps.

Don't think any of it would be usefull for the DC however.

michaelssiebert
March 8th, 2006, 14:18
I have worked with the Torque kit quite a bit but had to come to the conclusion that the mesh (3d objects) import and collision system of it was far beyond userfriendly, mostly because interiors are not possible to be created with 3d applications, thus costing quality cuz a designer could never totally follow his model vision..
I personally see the ideal way of working in a BSP optimized exporter for one of the standard 3d applications like lightwave or 3ds Max which would could add the collision model purely by herachy, so the workflow of a team can be effective enouth.. When working with a system like this, creating massive ammounts of content is more easy, giving the fact that there are thousands of home working talented 3d artists. So using an editor like Half-Life does for the creation of statics would probably work against time simply because the ammount of people that never get into this is too large..

Conclusion: An engine with a good exporter for an industry standard 3d application could lead to a more effective pipeline and workflow, in other words: more content quality. Torque does not offer this in the ideal way, although its exporter is BSP optimized.

regards :)