PDA

View Full Version : Dark_alex Downgrader for 2.5/2.6 Bricks (DO NOT USE)

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 23:36
This was posted in our Submit News forum and ive edited it for front page consumption but its a serious warning to all, even though other sites have posted about the downgrader until you here its safe by DCEMU then dont touch, let the devs sort it out, remember we arent doing this to get on DIGG we want to protect your PSPs - admin

For any of you that have heard about the new downgrader that hit the internet, DO NOT DOWNLOAD.

I just bricked my PSP because of this downgrader that I just tried to use. The creator goes by DARK_ALEX my PSP is dead.

So now that you know of my little unfortunate mistake, DO NOT DO THE SAME.

gunntims0103
June 29th, 2006, 23:41
what method did he use in the downgrader an e-boot an tiff method tell us exactly what happened im telling ppl as the new kernal expliot is comming out just patiently wait for a downgrader as im sure one will come in the distant future

give explanation on exactly what happened as we dont want this happening to other users

sorry bout wat happened bro the mod chip is your savior at the moment if you plan on fixing your psp

Zion
June 29th, 2006, 23:44
sorry to hear bout that man

Crimson_Lotus
June 29th, 2006, 23:50
Oh my, thankyou for the heads-up. I am sorry for you... Now you have a reason to buy a 1.5 I guess :)

Moning2
June 29th, 2006, 23:50
hasnt this been on psp-updates.com since it was released ? its your own fault for not being careful and not doing any research before actually thinking of using it :rolleyes: indeed let the developers sort it out and dont just try any new 'downgrader' thats released

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 23:55
The only thing I could probably try now... go back to WAL_MART and show them what happened.

WAL-MART is very gullable... I could probably tell them that I bought by psp 2 mounths ago, and dont have the recipet. The only thing that Im worried about is if my new PSP will come with 2.7 Firmware. That would suck really bad.

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 29th, 2006, 23:56
hasnt this been on psp-updates.com since it was released ? its your own fault for not being careful and not doing any research before actually thinking of using it :rolleyes: indeed let the developers sort it out and dont just try any new 'downgrader' thats released

Touche'
Sorry to hear that you bricked it, but it really is your own fault.
Seriously, it's harder to accidently brick your PSP, then it is to find the right downgrader for the job.

But I must commend you on not being a whiny 'ooer, I bricked my PSP now I'm so angry' and actually trying to help other from your mistake, good work and thanks :D

Lumir
June 29th, 2006, 23:56
Watch the creator be one of $ony's psp devs, out to somewhat kill the homebrew scene, lol.

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 23:58
what method did he use in the downgrader an e-boot an tiff method tell us exactly what happened im telling ppl as the new kernal expliot is comming out just patiently wait for a downgrader as im sure one will come in the distant future

give explanation on exactly what happened as we dont want this happening to other users

sorry bout wat happened bro the mod chip is your savior at the moment if you plan on fixing your psp

I just did what the readme says to do, which means put the EBOOT in the game folder. And then I had to load it through GTA: LCS because that's what you had to do, and then my PSP went to a black screen. I held the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off, but when I try to turn it back on, that same black screen was showing. After that... I knew that my PSP had been bricked.

gunntims0103
June 29th, 2006, 23:58
The only thing I could probably try now... go back to WAL_MART and show them what happened.

WAL-MART is very gullable... I could probably tell them that I bought by psp 2 mounths ago, and dont have the recipet. The only thing that Im worried about is if my new PSP will come with 2.7 Firmware. That would suck really bad.

you need to tell us exacly what happened like what triggered the downgrader what method is used and at what exact moment did you come to the conclusion that your psp was bricked

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 23:59
Watch the creator be one of $ony's psp devs, out to somewhat kill the homebrew scene, lol.

I wouldnt be suprised if you were right. Thats probably who DARK_ALEX is... just a jacka$$ from Sony,

Zion
June 30th, 2006, 00:01
doubt it. He makes iso loaders :p

gunntims0103
June 30th, 2006, 00:03
I wouldnt be suprised if you were right. Thats probably who DARK_ALEX is... just a jacka$$ from Sony,

im sorry but now im questioning your credibility right now on your info you need to give more info be specific what EXACTLY happened how was the downgrader executed how did it begin when did you come to the conclusion that your psp was bricked what method did the downgrader start we need this info for the staff and admin and for all the user since you seem to be the only one from dcemu that tried this

Kramer
June 30th, 2006, 00:04
Yeah Dark_Alex is the creator of dax iso loader and he didnt make this downgrader to brick psps it is a work in progress downgrader.

but the good news is that Ookm has made his own downgrader but he is not releasing it just yet because its not perfected he downgraded 8 out of 10 psps succsesfully

Squidman
June 30th, 2006, 00:07
I culd prolly guess how excited you might have been to find a downgrader for 2.5/2.6, but it wus warned on psp-hacks since yesterday. I did a lot of research before downgrading my 2.0, you shuld have done the same, but wut's done is done, I wish you the best of luck finding a 1.5-2.0 PSP

slaphappygamer
June 30th, 2006, 00:07
you think something like a firmware downgrader would be tested before it was released.

gunntims0103
June 30th, 2006, 00:14
you think something like a firmware downgrader would be tested before it was released.

it has been tested to my knowledge 4 people have tested this from what i read and 2 people have succesfully downgraded and the other 2 had there psp bricked so there was a 50% chance that your psp would be succecfully downgradable i could be wrong on this thou

btw doesnt anyone want to know how all this happened as i myself want to know again what is the method in which the downgrader was exicuted what method did it take place in (e-loader with and e-boot or tiff) and when did you come to the conclusion that your psp was bricked

staff and admin along with everyone here needs to know this........this is very inportant information

cdrdj
June 30th, 2006, 00:19
I can't really blame you. Yes, it does say on PSPupdates' front page (or whatever sites) that it IS a test and WILL brick your psp but the responsibilty still falls on the linkers to the downloads. They give you a link to download the thing so you assume it's okay to download.

It's like saying, here, look at this. Someone just created a virus that totally destroys and corrupts your computer. DON'T download it because your computer WILL be rendered useless. Oh, by the way, here's a download link to it.

Site's like PSPupdates should do like Dcemu. NOT post a download for it. Or at least put it in a special dev section or have the download AFTER the jump.

BALL_SAC
June 30th, 2006, 00:21
it has been tested to my knowledge 4 people have tested this from what i read and 2 people have succesfully downgraded and the other 2 had there psp bricked so there was a 50% chance that your psp would be succecfully downgradable i could be wrong on this thou

btw doesnt anyone want to know how all this happened as i myself want to know again what is the method in which the downgrader was exicuted what method did it take place in (e-loader with and e-boot or tiff) and when did you come to the conclusion that your psp was bricked

staff and admin along with everyone here needs to know this........this is very inportant information

All I can say is that I downloaded the downgrader is an attempt to downgrade, and when I tried to use the program through the Eloader, my PSP turned to a black screen, and then I turned it off. When I went to turn it back on, the same screen appeared and it wouldnt go the PSP's main menu.

Crimson_Lotus
June 30th, 2006, 00:23
I wouldn't risk it. They said the current version is extremely unstable. Not a very good time to be testing it then... I would wait and see what evolves from the downgrader before actually using it, especially on a 200-250 dollar device.

Crimson_Lotus
June 30th, 2006, 00:23
All I can say is that I downloaded the downgrader is an attempt to downgrade, and when I tried to use the program through the Eloader, my PSP turned to a black screen, and then I turned it off. When I went to turn it back on, the same screen appeared and it wouldnt go the PSP's main menu.

Did you try taking the battery out and back in yet?

gunntims0103
June 30th, 2006, 00:24

how long did your psp stay on the "black screen" and when did you dicide to turn your psp off did the downgrader come with a READ ME:confused:

Gizmo356
June 30th, 2006, 00:25
Did you try taking the battery out and back in yet?
yes try that and then if that doesnt work take the battery out on the screen were it says sony computer entertainment;)

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 00:39
how long did your psp stay on the "black screen" and when did you dicide to turn your psp off did the downgrader come with a READ ME:confused:

Get off his back will ya, It's like walking up to a widower at his wifes funeral and asking him all the gritty details, sheesh... :cool:
So what kind of truck was it? At exactly what time did it happen? Details please!

samthegreat68
June 30th, 2006, 00:40
I just did what the readme says to do, which means put the EBOOT in the game folder. And then I had to load it through GTA: LCS because that's what you had to do, and then my PSP went to a black screen. I held the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off, but when I try to turn it back on, that same black screen was showing. After that... I knew that my PSP had been bricked.

ouch...
yea i dont trust anything just about that isnt on dcemu. and i did hours of reseach before i downgraded my 2.0 to 1.5 back when the MPH downgrader came out.

xiringu
June 30th, 2006, 00:41
sorry to hear that, but ...

people should be careful with this stuff. I don't really understand what's the hurry. can't everybody wait till the "pros" say it is safe to try it?

I mean, can you all wait a couple of days?

I sure can, and a couple of weeks...if necessary

tophead420
June 30th, 2006, 00:42

lol try this instead of telling them u bought it two months ago tell um you got it as a gift from someone lol and very sorry to hear about your psp

Gizmo356
June 30th, 2006, 00:44
sorry to hear that, but ...

people should be careful with this stuff. I don't really understand what's the hurry. can't everybody wait till the "pros" say it is safe to try it?

I mean, can you all wait a couple of days?

I sure can, and a couple of weeks...if necessary
cause your smart it is better to wait till its safe then to try a test version

Cooe14
June 30th, 2006, 00:52
You should have done some research before you used it. If you would have you would have found that it is EXTREMLY unstable. Don't you think that if a %100 working downgrader was out it would be on DCEmu?

Crimson_Lotus
June 30th, 2006, 00:52
cause your smart it is better to wait till its safe then to try a test version

Indeed:cool:

gunntims0103
June 30th, 2006, 00:57
Get off his back will ya, It's like walking up to a widower at his wifes funeral and asking him all the gritty details, sheesh... :cool:
So what kind of truck was it? At exactly what time did it happen? Details please!

sorry but its nessasary to know this info somthing as inportant as this has to be documented and all aspects of events have to be colculated im not taking sides with dark__alex i dont even know who he is or what his coding backround is like but all this has to be acounted for so that other users and staff have an understanding of what exactly happened much like a murder investigation but the victem is a psp so we need all info on what happened

sorry for "being on his back" as you say but somthing like a downgrade for 2.6 has to go noted

Squidman
June 30th, 2006, 00:59

I don't know about 4 ppl, but i do know that someone else sacrificed their PSP to test this, and he got the same result.

They give you a link to download the thing so you assume it's okay to download.

On other sites, it warns you that this was a test, and was ment for developers to use only to further it's development

Gizmo356
June 30th, 2006, 01:00
sorry but its nessasary to know this info somthing as inportant as this has to be documented and all aspects of events have to be colculated im not taking sides with dark__alex i dont even know who he is or what his coding backround is like but all this has to be acounted for so that other users and staff have an understanding of what exactly happened much like a murder investigation but the victem is a psp so we need all info on what happened

sorry for "being on his back" as you say but somthing like a downgrade for 2.6 has to go noted
gunntims is right we need to document every thing and get feed back so the coder of this downgrader can find bugs and get rid of them:cool:

shadow77
June 30th, 2006, 01:01

no, its your mistake for downloading beta software. this downgrader is a test and will most likely brick any 2.5/2.6. it was "released" so that more development would go towards this

it says so in the included readme, heck, the password for the zip file was something along the lines of "I will use this at my own risk".

Dark_Alex is a respected PSP dev and has released many great programs in the past.. and now he is trying to create a working downgrader for 2.5/2.6 PSP units.

Voltron
June 30th, 2006, 01:02

Please research the facts before insulting one of the PSP Scenes most respected talents. Dark_Alex is the creator of DAXZISO compression, DAX Creator, DAX Loader, and even nethostfs which the highly praised iR Shell uses. He would NEVER release anything so that people would brick their PSP's. If you read correctly in the right places it clearly states that this was more of a "test concept" and still a W.I.P. and was EXTREMELY risky. Actually, what people are learning from this is no doubt increasing the inevitablity of a SAFE downgrader. This was intended for 'expendable' or "labrat PSP's". Not for the poor kid with a 2.60 he got for his Birthday that is way too eager to have all the goodness of homebrew.

That REALLY sucks. But it was your own fault. This was not intended for people like you. To put it into perspective, how man animals have died from experiments that eventually yielded miracle drugs for the better good? Your PSP is on of those poor animals. But that poor PSP made its small sacrifice so that the masses will eventually have a SAFE downgrader. Your PSP did not go out in vain..... LOL

Yeah Dark_Alex is the creator of dax iso loader and he didnt make this downgrader to brick psps it is a work in progress downgrader.

Exactly. Any work from Dark_Alex is always bound to bring good things to the PSP Scene.

Cooe14
June 30th, 2006, 01:16
He has already released version 0.4 (source only because he dosen't want to have anymore incindent's like this.)

geise69
June 30th, 2006, 01:17
The downgrader should have never been released in the first place for people to try if it was so unstable, unless it got leaked?

siulmagic
June 30th, 2006, 01:24
this was crearly stated it was a test app no more than that "use at your own risk" so yea bad luck maybe it will work for some other ppl

Kramer
June 30th, 2006, 01:25
well it had to be released so people can test it otherwise there would never be a downgrader.
But only people with the modchip should off tested it though.

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 01:27
Err, whats there to investigate?
We know this Downgrader is highly unstable and will quite possibly brick your PSP, and we also know that there are ones that actually work without a problem.
It's not exactly rocket science...

The coder shouldn't get feedback.
They should get abused for releasing something half finished... It's not like it's a little lua game with crap sprites and no sound... It's a half finished downgrader?!? lol.

Oh well, live 'n' learn aye...

gotmilk0112
June 30th, 2006, 01:28
cant wait to be back at 1.50 i miss 1.50 so badly

Kramer
June 30th, 2006, 01:34
Err, whats there to investigate?
We know this Downgrader is highly unstable and will quite possibly brick your PSP, and we also know that there are ones that actually work without a problem.
It's not exactly rocket science...

The coder shouldn't get feedback.
They should get abused for releasing something half finished... It's not like it's a little lua game with crap sprites and no sound... It's a half finished downgrader?!? lol.

Oh well, live 'n' learn aye...

when and if Dark_Alex gets this downgrader working he will be a legend in the psp scene. So cut him some slack.

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 01:39
ok well i've been followin this "test downgrader" since yesterday...from what i saw on a few videos was they put the EBOOT in the GAME folder and started GTA:LCS then once in the eloader they selected the "test downgrader" it went to black screen(and the memory stick light flashed a few times) after that the read me says "WAIT atleast a minute and hold ur power button until ur psp turns off, then turn it back on", once they did this it just was a black screen, it didn't load up the sony entertainment screen...im assumin that this is what happened to u BALL_SAC?? also i heard that not restoring ur factory settings would have somethin to do with brickin ur psp but i cannot verify that...this is what i've read on all the psp sites cuz im not in a rush to try this and fail

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 01:53
when and if Dark_Alex gets this downgrader working he will be a legend in the psp scene. So cut him some slack.

I'm not saying he won't. I even stated that it was BALL_SAC's own fault for not researching enough. There is a responsibility to the Dev and User. Read all next time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as optimistic as they come. :cool:
I don't even know how to write a program that can brick PSP's, let alone downgrade them, so I know my place in the scene, and who is responsible for what.

The PSP scene is not all lollipops and fairy floss ya know... There will come times where you gotta be realistic.

Nuff said'

mog
June 30th, 2006, 02:24
NO ONE has successfully downgraded with this downgrader because Dark_Alex himself said it can't work!
Everyone who said it worked was lying, and if anyone is to blame for bricked PSPs it should be those liars who tricked others into thinking that it had worked and not Alex.
If you look on pspupdates there seems to be quite a few more than 2 people who have bricked their psp now... :(

But this was more of an open source downgrader test project for other coders to investigate, and for people who have modchips (me in a few days time :p) to test then unbrick their psp's later.

What would have been beter is if the downgrader was only posted on dev sites like ps2dev.org and not sites like pspupdates... :eek:

Also, not compiling the release, but just handing out the uncompiled code would have stopped most n00bs from even thinking about trying it.
But I guess someone would have just compiled and uploaded it anyway, claiming it as theirs.

I've noticed Dark_Alex has updated his code now and some bugs that made it definitely not work have been fixed.
Also he has only released the source code uncompiled this time. :)

crowba
June 30th, 2006, 02:31
dude thats totaly your fault that your psp bricked... the readme clearly states NOT to use it since it is in development state. sorry for your psp,but thats what happens when you blindly do stuff without knowing nothing.no fault for darkalex.gosh he even passworded the file....

gunntims0103
June 30th, 2006, 02:39
well all everyone has to do is wait for an officail downgrader to be out when its posted here at dcemu then you know its legit cause only the best news surfaces here everyone just wait im sure that the downgrader will surface after the mod chips are sent out that way if a developer of the downgrader psp gets bricked then they can just fix it with the mod chip everyone just hang tough and with the new kernal mode i feel and this is my opinion that downgrading is piontless since kernal mode is now inplamented on higher fireware the only set back is owning a gta umd but if a dowgrader is achieved more power to the dev's who made it

Gizmo356
June 30th, 2006, 02:45
well all everyone has to do is wait for an officail downgrader to be out when its posted here at dcemu then you know its legit cause only the best news surfaces here everyone just wait im sure that the downgrader will surface after the mod chips are sent out that way if a developer of the downgrader psp gets bricked then they can just fix it with the mod chip everyone just hang tough and with the new kernal mode i feel and this is my opinion that downgrading is piontless since kernal mode is now inplamented on higher fireware the only set back is owning a gta umd but if a dowgrader is achieved more power to the dev's who made it
wise words my you jedi

dalejrrocks
June 30th, 2006, 02:58
Btw, you have to DL the 1.50 update and place it into a special folder. It's written in the official thread on maxconsole. That may be a reason why you bricked your psp.

F9zDark
June 30th, 2006, 03:07
Sorry to hear that man. It really sucks.

But if I were you, I'd keep that bricked PSP. With the mod chip coming out soon, you will have a PSP to use to try and install the chip. And if it works, thats great, you're PSP is back and running and perhaps one day, the bricked chip can be reflashed with the help of the mod chip.

If it doesn't work, oh well, its not like you had anything to lose. And you can probably still return it to Walmart after that, so long as you at least put it back together.

The retards at Sony can figure out wtf to do with it after Walmart sends it back to them.

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 03:32
Sorry to hear that man. It really sucks.

But if I were you, I'd keep that bricked PSP. With the mod chip coming out soon, you will have a PSP to use to try and install the chip. And if it works, thats great, you're PSP is back and running and perhaps one day, the bricked chip can be reflashed with the help of the mod chip.

If it doesn't work, oh well, its not like you had anything to lose. And you can probably still return it to Walmart after that, so long as you at least put it back together.

The retards at Sony can figure out wtf to do with it after Walmart sends it back to them.

Sony aren't retards, they're just mis-understood :)

Ok, they're retards :D

mog
June 30th, 2006, 03:44
I'd buy the bricked psp... then stick a 50 quid mod chip in it and sell it off for a few hundred quid! :p

Seriously! If I can pull off my first modchip installation of successfully, then I might as well buy as many cheap bricked PSPs as I can...
Stick a modchip in each one and sell them off as modchip pre-fitted PSPs! :D

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 04:01
I'd buy the bricked psp... then stick a 50 quid mod chip in it and sell it off for a few hundred quid! :p

Seriously! If I can pull off my first modchip installation of successfully, then I might as well buy as many cheap bricked PSPs as I can...
Stick a modchip in each one and sell them off as modchip pre-fitted PSPs! :D

You are a dodgy, dodgy human being :mad:

Just kidding, wish I had thought of it first! :D

shunsai
June 30th, 2006, 04:35
i have a lot of respect for this site and its affiliates (ie psmonkey) and the legit psp news they bring to the table... but some of these so-called editorial pieces that seem to put a spin on things or cast things in a certain light? hmmm... i don't know if i like what i see going on at this site anymore.

granted, i probably should've aimed more at comments than actual articles, but this is a case-in-point:

like i mentioned before in a previous post, "my comments to be honest were more in reaction to the defamation of character to someone i respect, and the seeming oversight of anyone to clarify. the same thing happened the other day on strmnnrmn's blog... they were mixing up PSMonkey with a certain other furry PS quadraped who has also become quite taboo to mention. the mixup bugged me, and it seemed to go overlooked for quite a while... but it was finally cleared up. :)"

and i'm glad that others aren't just letting the defamation go completely unchecked too...

Please research the facts before insulting one of the PSP Scenes most respected talents. Dark_Alex is the creator of DAXZISO compression, DAX Creator, DAX Loader, and even nethostfs which the highly praised iR Shell uses. He would NEVER release anything so that people would brick their PSP's. If you read correctly in the right places it clearly states that this was more of a "test concept" and still a W.I.P. and was EXTREMELY risky. Actually, what people are learning from this is no doubt increasing the inevitablity of a SAFE downgrader. This was intended for 'expendable' or "labrat PSP's". Not for the poor kid with a 2.60 he got for his Birthday that is way too eager to have all the goodness of homebrew.

... Any work from Dark_Alex is always bound to bring good things to the PSP Scene.

here here! :D

psp411
June 30th, 2006, 04:59
HAHAH ive read this whole forum adn what Ive seen here is pretty funny. From con men to ppl calling dark an a$$... wow... ANYWAY, heres my advice. If you do take bak your brinked psp's to walmart adn do get another one, then good job. If you don't then i suggest buying a modchip. It makes alot of sense because u rly do have nothing to lose by doing this. Also don't hate on all teh coders/ homebrew developers for their efforts for they as well as us like homebrews. thats why theyre making these applications to run on your psp. And btw, Ball_Sac, its kinda your fault why ur psp got brinked. Like i remember when I was @ firmware 2.00 and they had the downgrader bakc to 1.5 (which i bought ma psp at the time... i was soo dum to upgrade but i dint kno about homebrews ath this magnitude at the time) i refused to use it bcuz i was afraid it would brink my psp. even though my friend did it and it worked i stuck to it and neva downgrade( man Im so dumb) anyways the point is i did extensive research on that downgrader( about one full week of research) to decide if i should do this. anyway, the lesson learned is to look ahead 2 steps forward before you take 1. (btw im srry ur psp is dead... ill b glad to buy it off of u if u want... juss contact me @ [email protected])

jman420
June 30th, 2006, 05:01
I heard about this, but didnt want to update to 2.5 to downgrade to that new F/W codenamed "brick"..

And, Grammar anyone?

psp411
June 30th, 2006, 05:01
also, dark_alex isnt just the only great programmer. DOnt forget fanjita and ditlew... after all they made the infamous eloader tht u can use for gta:lcs ( in my opinion, theyre the greatest homebrew makers ever)

**1_Man_Matrix**
June 30th, 2006, 05:30
HAHAH ive read this whole forum adn what Ive seen here is pretty funny. From con men to ppl calling dark an a$$... wow... ANYWAY, heres my advice. If you do take bak your brinked psp's to walmart adn do get another one, then good job. If you don't then i suggest buying a modchip. It makes alot of sense because u rly do have nothing to lose by doing this. Also don't hate on all teh coders/ homebrew developers for their efforts for they as well as us like homebrews. thats why theyre making these applications to run on your psp. And btw, Ball_Sac, its kinda your fault why ur psp got brinked. Like i remember when I was @ firmware 2.00 and they had the downgrader bakc to 1.5 (which i bought ma psp at the time... i was soo dum to upgrade but i dint kno about homebrews ath this magnitude at the time) i refused to use it bcuz i was afraid it would brink my psp. even though my friend did it and it worked i stuck to it and neva downgrade( man Im so dumb) anyways the point is i did extensive research on that downgrader( about one full week of research) to decide if i should do this. anyway, the lesson learned is to look ahead 2 steps forward before you take 1. (btw im srry ur psp is dead... ill b glad to buy it off of u if u want... juss contact me @ [email protected])

Translation:
I find this forum rather humourous, including, but not limited to, it's occupants therein. There are rather dubious indiviuals present, aswell as those who feel the need to refer to Mr Dark Alex by some questionably offensive names. This excites me. My opinion on the matter is thus, I will congratulate you on being able to dupe the large corporation known as Walmart, with oneself taking such damaged Playstation Portables and exchanging for new, working devices. Do not feel negatively towards developers or coders in the Homebrew scene, as they are giving us all their very best efforts. I pertain one, Mr Ball Sac, to be a rather gullbile individual who has only himself to blame for his actions and the consequences thereof. A close comrade of mine was able to successfully perform such a downgrade on the device, alas, I still remained skeptical on the subject. Good luck and god speed. :rolleyes:

acn010
June 30th, 2006, 05:32
oh god, i knew this would happend.
i was gonna try to downgrade my 2nd psp but i wasn't sure till now.. sorry to hear this man.
i feel kinda guilty now :(

the psp and the wallmart thing, go to a walmart that is rarely selling psp's
reason is that maybe they have psp that has a letter encoded, try to search for the letter A, B, C, D or no letter, these letter represents the type of versions it has between 1.50-2.00 and how old is the psp/
hope thyis will help you.
:)

judas_coach
June 30th, 2006, 06:07
Translation:
I find this forum rather humourous, including, but not limited to, it's occupants therein. There are rather dubious indiviuals present, aswell as those who feel the need to refer to Mr Dark Alex by some questionably offensive names. This excites me. My opinion on the matter is thus, I will congratulate you on being able to dupe the large corporation known as Walmart, with oneself taking such damaged Playstation Portables and exchanging for new, working devices. Do not feel negatively towards developers or coders in the Homebrew scene, as they are giving us all their very best efforts. I pertain one, Mr Ball Sac, to be a rather gullbile indivual who has only himself to blame for his actions and the consequences thereof. A close comrade of mine was able to successfully perform such a downgrade on the device, alas, I still remained skeptical on the subject. Good luck and god speed. :rolleyes:
Legend.

RetroGoth
June 30th, 2006, 06:24

I hope you get a new psp with at least 2.6 firmware. I bought mine at bestbuy with a 2 year insurance so I can risk it because it covers everything except if it gets wet but I will still wait for official news to be able to try something.

pspfan
June 30th, 2006, 07:09
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they haven't shipped factory 2.7s yet. There are still some 1.51, 1.52, and 2.0s out there if you look in the right places.

gammern
June 30th, 2006, 07:46
I saw this thread and thought that it could be interesting for those unlucky "brick" victims.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25893

lplover2k
June 30th, 2006, 08:28
the download description stated clearly used at your owen risk!!!

dalejrrocks
June 30th, 2006, 14:27
Quit flaming people, I mean how would you feel if you bricked your PSP. And Dark_Alex is doing a good job in my opinion, and when/if the downgrader gets finished everyone is gonna forget the flaming and crap and he is gonna become a legend.

scottyboynow
June 30th, 2006, 14:31
mmm yes he dark_alex did say use under own risk.anyway i want a downgrader for my 2.71 i hate my brother for that i had a 1.5 aswell

ENG
June 30th, 2006, 18:15
So, did Dark_alex make this as a psp bricker, or was it an honest attempt at making a downgrader?

Cooe14
June 30th, 2006, 18:17
So, did Dark_alex make this as a psp bricker, or was it an honest attempt at making a downgrader?
It was a honest attempt at a downgrader. Dark_AleX is a respected psp coder, and this was a TEST, but somehow it found it's way onto pspupdates.

BL4Z3D247
June 30th, 2006, 18:22
he IS makin an honest downgrader, its a WIP its now a beta(so they say, and its not released yet) and he stated that it was a "TEST DOWNGRADER" and "MAY BRICK UR PSP" and "ONLY PEOPLE WITH THE UP CHIP SHOULD TEST IT" also he said he would not be liable for people brickin their psp's "USE AT OWN RISK"

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 30th, 2006, 18:48
The Ar@eh**es who make theses things need a good old british kicking.sorry to hear of your plight Bal Sac :( but if it was a honest atempt at a downgrader then the authors should have tested it on thier psps or did they and thought hell weve bricked ours see if some other inocent person will???.Who knows.

dalejrrocks
June 30th, 2006, 21:12
he did test it with devhook. and it worked. it works 50% of the time. as soon as some devs will find the iofilemngr patch locations it will work.

vettacossx
June 30th, 2006, 23:27
read this........be patient ;)

One Day Later - 2.5/2.6 Kernel Exploit - The Real, Full Story - A MUST READ! - (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27853)

driller_killer
July 1st, 2006, 04:16
edit: removed
we wont be resposible for posting downgraders as news untill it is proven everywhere else.. While we take pride in our news being the fastest, we also take pride in providing you with safe downloads.

DO NOT POST LINKS TO DOWNGRADERS!!! EVER!!! PERIOD!!!

-1time

i say no. :)
lol
sorry but you guys are slow;)

acn010
July 1st, 2006, 05:02
man, this downgrader test is getting too much chaos in this site

BazzaLB
July 1st, 2006, 07:02
Whilst all you people are blubbering about the evils of DArk Alex etc, it seems heaps of people have now succesfully downgraded their 2.5/2.6 PSPs (so long as they are not TA-082 models) without a single case of failure via an UPDATED (v5 beta) version of the downgrader.

The_Lead_Factor
July 1st, 2006, 07:53
http://pspupdates.qj.net/-Breaking-News-2-50-2-60-Downgrader-v5-Beta-Released/pg/49/aid/57594

And there was one failure which was because the idiot had a TA-082.

pspfan
July 1st, 2006, 07:57
The_Lead_Factor, I'm writing this so you won't get banned! Edit your post now! 1timeuser said this:

"edit: removed
we wont be resposible for posting downgraders as news untill it is proven everywhere else.. While we take pride in our news being the fastest, we also take pride in providing you with safe downloads.

DO NOT POST LINKS TO DOWNGRADERS!!! EVER!!! PERIOD!!!

-1time"

alexvtveer
July 1st, 2006, 16:07
I used this downgrader (i will not post the link). It worked, it downgraded my 2.6 to 1.5

Baboon
July 1st, 2006, 16:10
Worked a treat for me! ...fookin ideal!!

Just gonna test some more software now! :)

BALL_SAC
July 8th, 2006, 04:49
..... I need to get a new PSP soon. Im worried about picking up a PSP preinstalled with 2.7 firmware.

pspfan
July 8th, 2006, 04:56
So far there haven't been any factory 2.7s reported yet. But you can tell the firmware from looking at the box code. Search the forums, it's gotta be on here.

psychytros
July 8th, 2006, 16:22
have used dark alex`s version of the downgrader and it worked a treat, this was the full version and not the light

S34MU5
July 19th, 2006, 19:30
it dose work... only if your psp isnt ta-08 or sumat like that and if it isnt a factory 2.5/2.6 so your in luck if you bin upgradin

SINIStER
July 19th, 2006, 20:59
This thread should be locked by a mod,its based on the very first version and not the beta or final downgrader which works like a charm.

ChaDizzle
September 3rd, 2006, 14:45

BALL SAC you are a complete idiot:mad: - i'm a newb and even i know that it was YOU- and not the downgrader that bricked your PSP. When the screen goes black YOURE SUPPOSED TO LEAVE IT! It's writing to your flash memory! Disturbing it in this stage WILL brick your PSP. I'm sorry to hear that you bricked it, but you should listen to instructions. For other complete noobs who want to downdate their psp remember once you run the program just leave it until the psp restarts itself. If after 5 or so minutes it hasnt turned back on, and the orange light hasnt flashed for over 2 minutes, then maybe you can turn it back on. JEEEZ!

jak66
September 3rd, 2006, 14:50
reserection of an old thread, dude, this was when the first 2.5/2.6 downdater was released, which bricked psps anyway, this is not the final/easy/2.7 tiff downdater that works perfectly, even if he didnt turn it off it still would have been a PSPaperweight (or a brick, whatever you want to call it)