PDA

View Full Version : Is Downgrading the Best Way To Go

wraggster
July 1st, 2006, 19:14
I do feel sorry for anyone who has bricked thier PSP today andl happy for those who successfully Downgraded but really is downgrading the best way to go?

With the recent news of an exploit thats for the same firmware are we not jumping the gun a bit, yeah some sites that want the extra pull of visitors this downgrader brings and revenue (yes a lot are in only for that), but why sacrifice playing the newest games to play homebrew and more importantly sacrificing your expensive PSP.

Theres hope on the forums here and at PS2Dev of the exploit that was originally posted there (and not at some sites as they would have you believe) that soon a new exploit for kernal mode willbe usuable.

Sometimes its better to be patient and wait for a new killer exploit an lets be fair GTA Liberty City stories isnt the only game there must be an exploit in.

So lets have some discussion on whether downgrading is really the best option?

modcase
July 1st, 2006, 19:19
I dont think the firmware version itself really matters. I just hate having to see PSP gamers fight for the liberty to use the machine in whatever way they see fit.

\/oid
July 1st, 2006, 19:29
if sony could only allow homebrew to run free all this firmware crap could end.....i have an idea for then just prevent access to the umd drive......no umd drive no piricy...anyway i'l will wait a bit before downgrading....

notaforumtroll
July 1st, 2006, 19:29
I did it , it worked. now i have a 1.5 psp
if i feel like updating to 2.6 I HAVE THAT OPTION. there is no downside to downgrading unless youre a retard and dont know how to RTFM.

Until a stable non-eloader non gta requiring exploit comes out i expect alot of people to downgrade. Devhook.

As it stands is this probably the biggest thing to come out since 2.0->1.5

**** YAH!!! **** SONY

makaveddie
July 1st, 2006, 19:30
If the downgrader proves itself to be 100% successful eventually, downgrading is the way to go... From what I've seen in videos, GTA is a pain in the ass to load every time you want to use the kernel exploit. Also, 1.5's are proven to run almost everything up to 2.6. Devhook will continue to develop and release 2.7+ fw hacks.

Just my .02

Zion
July 1st, 2006, 19:33
I hope that eventually we can run homebrew from the menu on a 2.6 with full 1.5 capability's

Sterist
July 1st, 2006, 19:36
its not sacrificing at all, devhook plays all UMDs

all u need is the firmware dump

Bossmanuk
July 1st, 2006, 19:42
its not sacrificing at all, devhook plays all UMDs

all u need is the firmware dump

Agreed, and if you follow proper clear instructions, you shouldn't brick your PSP. I haven't head of any bricks of people who have followed proper instructions.

Dickhead
July 1st, 2006, 19:45
Well my wife has a PSP at version 2.6 and I also have a PSP at version 2.6. I am thinking of downgrading my psp to 1.5 becasue I use alot more homebrew than my wife. I also have to load up GTA every time i want to have homebrew and I am getting sick of loading GTA every time.

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 19:45
well im on 1.5(from 2.00) and im worried about the future of my UMD collection. there are some games i really want, and at the moment, devhook sorts that out for me.
but we havnt yet seen anyone release the 2.70 decrypted firmwareon the sly, so there is already a boundary.
as soon as sony figure out the way we are emulating firmware all they need to do is start signing the updates to the mac address or whatever else that is unique to each psp. then we are all back to square one in terms of commercial games and abilities

not good

xiringu
July 1st, 2006, 19:52
probably the main reason I bought the psp for was homebrew. not only emus and games, but making my own apps to use while I'm on the road. and read books and stuff

i was thinking about PDAs, but i thought the PSP was an interesting option and cheaper

and...it was easy to find locally (important), otherwise i would have bought a GP2X

for me, no homebrew means no PSP.

I own a 2.5 and never seen a 1.5 before, but I can't see any reason not to downgrade, because sony's software is really crap and not useful to me at all (only to watch movies, and mp3, but the web browser is really lame and somehow incomplete) and there's nothing else you can do, apart from playing

briefly...I wouldn't buy a PSP only for what Sony offers (mp3, movies, and UMD games)...so why not downgrading?

of course, it could be much better to have everything...what Sony offers, and homebrew, but if I have to choose....

Chackan
July 1st, 2006, 19:53
I'd say no to downgrading. Better homebrew suport for higher firmwares thats what i say.

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 19:55
exactly we cant keep going backwards

Dickhead
July 1st, 2006, 19:58
Yeah I think forwards is better even if you have 2 psps. maybe there is a way to use this new GTA kernal hack to patch up current 2.6 firmware so that we dont need to use GTA eboot loader every time

Zion
July 1st, 2006, 20:02
that would be best in the long run

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 20:04
THE DOWNLOADER
ITS NOT THE BEST WAT FOR ME :(...

i personally am more exited about possibly running kernall apps on my 2.6 i mean ive got 40 some UMD games i play and some of my favs (daxter,YS: arc of napishtim,syphon filter dbz shinbudokai all require 2.6 so having the 2 things I WANT THAT REQUIRE KERNALL( mario smash bros and IRshell) on my 2.6 is much more important that downgrading and loosing all those gr8 games ;)

i personally cant wait for the KERNALL ELOADER 2.6 to be stable ;)

YourStillWithMe
July 1st, 2006, 20:21
You guys need to think abut everything you just said seriously are you ok? Think about the stability and amazingness of the 1.00 and 1.50 kernel mode is already user friendly, supports ALL homebrew, has the ability to launch firmwares 2.00-2.50 (2.71 soon, i have no doubts) We used to fear the friggin 1.51 update that was released on (I think it was. . .) Death JR and look where we are now. . .Devhook launches practially every game aside from the 2.60 updates obviously. Please, do go on and update to 3.00 when it comes out and get your "camera" and "psone emulator." I'll be relaxing a little while after with it emulated on my 1.50 enjoying my NES, SNES, Gamegear, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, N64!, and oh yeah the psone emulator from the 3.00 emulation on my beloved 1.50 And the commercial games out for the psp have yes, gotten better but there still weak as heck. Fight Night is brilliant and so is Lumines thats probably pretty much it. Every other game i could just buy for my ps2 and enjoy more.

I believe patience is the key here my friends We all feared the updates, sonys firmware attacks, and all that but we will overcome it all. I admit that Sony is no set of morons to no extent all but i guarantee you that if you go along with "upgrading" and playing your commerical games you will regret it.

Regards

AlinayG
July 1st, 2006, 20:25
Hummm...well i say that downgrading is not the best way to go because with all the new things that have come out this month ( mostly kernel access ) i say that sooner or later we are going to have the same stuff and more as 1.5, but on 2.6. that means that we will still have all our super kool homebrew games and apps, and still be able to play some relly good games as vettacossx said....as for that downgrader that came out, i have thinking about trying it ( i didn't even know it came out )....but i deiced to wait a little longer ( and i don't want my psp bricked ;p )

Reficul
July 1st, 2006, 20:31
i will never regret downgrading....best psp decision i have ever made......if it works its worth it....if it doesnt.......well............you can guess what happens

jimmi
July 1st, 2006, 20:43
Kinda new so hi

IM about to downgrade my 2.60 ... very scared:eek:

...worked, yey.

Dickhead
July 1st, 2006, 20:47
Well My PSP is staying at 2.6 forever or being downgraded to 1.5 forever. My wifes PSP will be updated to the latest firmware so hopefuly I will have the best for both worlds.

felonyr301
July 1st, 2006, 20:51
personally i rather be in 1.5 because i dont want to be loading up a game to just play my homebrew stuff but i dont care what happens just as long they get some type of kernal running to everybody's psp which would mean the coders can spend their time coding for the faster kernal mode and release faster software (n64 and gba of course) and not waste their time on the crappy user mode IMO.

AlinayG
July 1st, 2006, 20:52
lucky basterd.....if i had money i would buy a new psp 2.71 and downgrade my 2.6 to 1.5 grrrr...

felonyr301
July 1st, 2006, 20:56
and ohh yea thanks devhook i can say fu*k higher firmware lool but seriously i dont have any reason to be higher than 1.5

siulmagic
July 1st, 2006, 20:56
well we all now y there dowgrading and that is what dcemu is agaist im shure almost all of them downgrade for that

drew4237
July 1st, 2006, 21:15
when i got my psp it was at 1.52 and i was so pissed off that i couldnt run homebrew. but then the 2.0 update came out and i saw that it had a web browser so i updated but the browser is way to slow for me. i still wanted to run homebrew then the downgrader came out and i downgraded. but then gta required so i updated again then when i beat it 100% i downgraded. however i wanted to try the cheat device. so i have upgraded and downgraded many times already but tah was from 1.5 - 2.0. and now i just use devhook to run gta.

lucidtraveller
July 1st, 2006, 21:18
i would never give up the literally thousands of games i have on 1.5 for one or 2 games that are good and need an updated psp. and to me it just makes sense to play modern games that take hours or days to complete on a home system rather than on a portable anyways.
same with movies, it just seems pointless to watch them on a tiny screen with headphones (i am guessing newer umd movies require updates as well)
now the newcoming remake of GNG makes me drool but it's not worth giving up everything from atari to soon to be n64 on my 1.5
i really need a new memory stick though hehehe 1 gig seems kinda small recently with all the amazing things coming out.

Emeriastone
July 1st, 2006, 21:20
Yes, downgrading is better in the long run, with devHook you can currently play the games that require 2.5 fw or less... It's very beneficial and I just downgraded my 2.6 to 1.5 last night and I use devHook with great vigor now.

I eagerly await devHook to emulate 2.6!

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 21:24
like i said before, it is very easy for sony to stop our ability to load firmware through emulation

Jonesyxxiv
July 1st, 2006, 21:28
Yes, downgrading is better in the long run, with devHook you can currently play the games that require 2.5 fw or less... It's very beneficial and I just downgraded my 2.6 to 1.5 last night and I use devHook with great vigor now.

I eagerly await devHook to emulate 2.6!

Exactly the same with me, and also my brother has a PSP and doesnt use home brew so i can use that to play my megaman powered up, field comander and stuff.

KingAndrew
July 1st, 2006, 21:32
I have a 2.71 psp, i updated because loading GTA every time was way too annoyying. When i first got my psp it was 1.5 but i didnt know about homebrew until 1.51, and it went on like that for me. I would give up and update, then the exploit would come out. WELL NO MORE! IM NEVER UPDATING AGAIN! I hate you sony, stop being jerks and let us have homebrew.

F9zDark
July 1st, 2006, 21:36
I say continue on with Downgrading. Downgrading is the hope of the PSP scene. Exploits have kept the scene alive, but downgrading is where the real hope lies.

Anyone using a 1.0 or 1.50 will attest that exploits, while being great, are a burden on the end user more than anything.

Having to Kxploit homebrew annoys me, even though I have a 1.0 PSP and can just load it up on there. But 1.50 supports homebrew that 1.0 can't.

Point is, regardless of the exploits we have available, the higher firmwares will be inherently lacking in their abilities, as Sony figures out ways to lock down more components that we need.

I gurantee their next step will be to find a way of locking things down along side with their current lock downs. Imagine getting an exploit for firmware 3.0, yet Sony put in an extra measure to disable screen initialization if unsigned code is executed.

Imagine the homebrew possibilities there... But even then, at least a downgrader can work, we just cant see whats going on.

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 21:42
again?
sonys option is so much simpler

Privateer
July 1st, 2006, 21:42
Solution to this problem:
Mod chip.
It'll let ya run both, and then some. ;]

BL4Z3D247
July 1st, 2006, 21:52
well we all now y there dowgrading and that is what dcemu is agaist im shure almost all of them downgrade for that
thats not true most of us r sick of loadin GTA and not gettin the FULL speed of emus like 1.5...i'm against what DCEmu is against or else i wouldn't be a part of this great psp family, so if u know u have a psp w/out the TA-082 motherboard or know for a fact that u upgraded from a lower firmware no later than 2.01 i suggest u downgrade for full PSP POWER!!! :D

BALL_SAC
July 1st, 2006, 21:53
I say HELL NO to downgradeing. I bricked my PSP trying to use DARK_ALEX's downgrader. So I dont think its worth it to downgrade.

BL4Z3D247
July 1st, 2006, 22:00
I say HELL NO to downgradeing. I bricked my PSP trying to use DARK_ALEX's downgrader. So I dont think its worth it to downgrade.
there have been WAYYYY more success stories than bricks with the beta version...i downgraded 3 times, twice with Dark_Alex's BETA downgrader and once on my little bro's 2.0 psp w/ MPH's downgrader and they all went perfectly(even though i was still worried as everyone is) so in my book if u do research and know what ur doin AND its on this site u have nothin to worry about :D

nielsss
July 1st, 2006, 22:07
You guys need to think abut everything you just said seriously are you ok? Think about the stability and amazingness of the 1.00 and 1.50 kernel mode is already user friendly, supports ALL homebrew, has the ability to launch firmwares 2.00-2.50 (2.71 soon, i have no doubts) We used to fear the friggin 1.51 update that was released on (I think it was. . .) Death JR and look where we are now. . .Devhook launches practially every game aside from the 2.60 updates obviously. Please, do go on and update to 3.00 when it comes out and get your "camera" and "psone emulator." I'll be relaxing a little while after with it emulated on my 1.50 enjoying my NES, SNES, Gamegear, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, N64!, and oh yeah the psone emulator from the 3.00 emulation on my beloved 1.50 And the commercial games out for the psp have yes, gotten better but there still weak as heck. Fight Night is brilliant and so is Lumines thats probably pretty much it. Every other game i could just buy for my ps2 and enjoy more.

I believe patience is the key here my friends We all feared the updates, sonys firmware attacks, and all that but we will overcome it all. I admit that Sony is no set of morons to no extent all but i guarantee you that if you go along with "upgrading" and playing your commerical games you will regret it.

Regards

I agree because i updated my downgraded psp from 1.5 to 2.6 to play socom but i think that soon devhook will be able to emulate 2.60 or higher

frmariam
July 1st, 2006, 22:11
I say no and I'm on 2.0. And it's pretty safe to downgrade a 2.0. Pretty happy with it.

Using DevHook and going through a lot of stuff just to play the games I bought is too much... Same for browsing the web (and Links can't even handle the javascript login pages in my campus server).

I may consider selling my 2.0 and get a brand new chipped PSP unless the new exploit can be actually used in 2.6 with no need for an UMD to do anything.
Going back is not the way.

Napalm-Death
July 1st, 2006, 22:12
You downgraded when it was a developer's version, you knew the risks of using a dev edition. But you did it anyway, and everybody who used the beta is on 1.5 again except for the 3 unfortunate people.

jas0nuk
July 1st, 2006, 22:14
The best is to have 1.50
That allows you kernel mode homebrew from the VSH (for emulators with media engine, hardware accel. etc) and DevHook, which will be regularly updated to support new firmwares when the keys come out, as has been promised by Booster.

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:15
maybe when its a 100% SUCCESS RATE brick proof IM WAITING FOR fw 1.5 TO DO 2 THINGS EMULATE AT LEAST 2.6 AND A SAFE DOWNGRADER OTHER WISE ILL DEAL WITH THE ELOADER ;) i mean its REALLY IS BETTER in that IF A KERNALL ELOADER IS RELEASED WE 2.6 users could use ANY OF THE SAME APPS,GAMES OR EMUS :) ;) and have the added bonus of 2.6 games and 2.6 features...

Sterist
July 1st, 2006, 22:15
I'd say no to downgrading. Better homebrew suport for higher firmwares thats what i say.

well, you're on crack. lol

BL4Z3D247
July 1st, 2006, 22:17
You downgraded when it was a developer's version, you knew the risks of using a dev edition. But you did it anyway, and everybody who used the beta is on 1.5 again except for the 3 unfortunate people.
yup

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:21
he said:

Originally Posted by Chackan

you said ..

well, you're on crack. lol
so whos the one who really looks stupid bro???....think about it ....
that was both childish flaming ....and totaly unessecarry id suggest unless your looking for a bann......you make more mature post bro ;)

slayer2psp
July 1st, 2006, 22:22
you can play ever game there is for the psp but one with a 1.50 psp. im not talking retail games of course so there is plenty of reason to downgrade

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:28
not legaly u cant ...lol...but i know what you mean i feel the same way about 2.6 i have a 1.5 with irshell and smashbros gp and deadlious
so the only game i cant play on my 2.6 is the kernall required smash bro's ......but i do love the whole idea of a downgrader i just think it should be safer and im gonna not jump the gun on this i mean we STILL WONT KNOW LONG TERM EFFECTS YET and frankly the words UNSTABLE shy me away 4 now .....;p

Sterist
July 1st, 2006, 22:28
like i said before, it is very easy for sony to stop our ability to load firmware through emulation

no it aint. just create another resource to emulate the security. yur missing something in how u understand how it works.

hardware is the only way to prevent emulation. if your hardware supports certain things it can emulate... certain things. and if it doesnt have those requirements, then it cant emulate that system. sony would have to add a requirement via hardware to overwhelm earlier hardware versions' emulation capability.

in short, if the new security whatever can be ran on any psp (for example, updating), then it can be emulated on any psp.

Privateer
July 1st, 2006, 22:29
1.5 can play 2.6 games with umdloaders.

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:30
not iso loading but from UMD......lol
i have alot of commercial gamesi both enjoy and support as well as my HB ive bricked 3 psp and returned them to 3 walmarts ....lol....in the name of HB so im on both sides of the fence and for some its 1.5 and for others its 2.6 but the point is as you can see.....it boils down to " what do i prefer ..." and so thats why i think that its such a mixed feeling here...lol...and what i think is gr8 is MOST of you have alot of really good points for both sides this is a gr8 discussion......

Privateer
July 1st, 2006, 22:31
I'm pretty sure it can do both.

Dickhead
July 1st, 2006, 22:32
Yeah lets just hope someone releases a hack to patch 2.6 so that we can access kernel homebrew without the GTA eloader. I think it is more accessable to select your homebrew in the PSP Game menu screen than in the GTA eloader

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:38
thats what id like as well 2.6 to apply the kernall for better homebrew is a gr8 idea imagine the 2.6 and EVERY FW up 2 it running KERNALL FULLY EXPLOITED HB that should make ALL FW users happy KERNALL EMULATION and KERNALL ELOADER are the bigger picture and KERNALL trueley is the point;)

gunntims0103
July 1st, 2006, 22:41
i have to admit im a bit scared of downgrading my psp 2.6 i dont care call me a pu$$i if you want im waiting for that kernal mode e-loader to be out i can wait for that we can now have 1.5 hombrew capabilitys on 2.6 thats cool with me

hey vettacossx what im waiting for if for dcemu to slap you with a modders tag or sumthing cause your mod skills are alsum you do alot of contributing here

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 22:44
no it aint. just create another resource to emulate the security. yur missing something in how u understand how it works.

hardware is the only way to prevent emulation. if your hardware supports certain things it can emulate... certain things. and if it doesnt have those requirements, then it cant emulate that system. sony would have to add a requirement via hardware to overwhelm earlier hardware versions' emulation capability.

in short, if the new security whatever can be ran on any psp (for example, updating), then it can be emulated on any psp.

what i said in an earlier post was that sony could easily sign each update eboot to your mac address, and then sign each firmware file to the mac address, then the files coulf not be transferred between two psps and we wouldnt have access to the decrypted files ( we still dont have access to the 2.6 decryption)

vettacossx
July 1st, 2006, 22:50
im cool with the dcemu pro just wish vettacossx was in bold yo ...lmao ....but thanks guntims your my fav new lua coder 2 cant wait for next sora off topic though sorry guys ;)

Dickhead
July 1st, 2006, 22:58
Also I say to people with only one PSP stay on the lowest firmware possible, because the higher the firmware you have the more harder it is to crack, unless sony does something silly or puts out their signature to their signed code into the public doman/some one steals it, if u know what i mean

whitey75
July 1st, 2006, 23:25
I'm using 1.5 with DevHook, but ultimately our goal should be to have the latest firmware hacked, end of story.

Why bother with hardware emulation and multiple firmwares when we could have a single operating system that does everything for us.

We are getting closer to that goal though, I can feel it. What a huge cpl of weeks it has been for the psp homebrew scene, I can't belive it!

Sterist
July 1st, 2006, 23:38
what i said in an earlier post was that sony could easily sign each update eboot to your mac address, and then sign each firmware file to the mac address, then the files coulf not be transferred between two psps and we wouldnt have access to the decrypted files ( we still dont have access to the 2.6 decryption)

sony wouldnt do that because the billions of different signatured forms would inevitably cause bricks

AuroEdge
July 1st, 2006, 23:46
v2.60 exploits as they stand will likely allow you to do almost everything you can on a v1.50. Having just downgraded from that new version to v1.50 I can say with confidence being able to in the 3 seconds it takes to navigate the PSP menu and load up a game vs. the 1 min. wait just to get to the eLoader menu on GTA is definitely worth it. I dunno... I would like to see homebrew on the new firmwares but I only see this happening if somebody can hack the firmware and you upgrade with the hacked firmware instead. That doesn't sound very legal though does it?

benh
July 1st, 2006, 23:48
I am currently using FW 2.71 and am not bothered homebrew that muchand plus Im using flash homebrew at the moment and its great.

I think downgrading is pointless, I mean whats the point in using an old FW when you could have the latest psp FW and use your PSP to its full capibilitys.

Why would you want to be on FW 1.5 when you could have FW 2.71 and in a couple of months be ablew to use great addons such as the PSP camera and the PSP GPS system, those two addons are going to require atleast FW 2.70+ to work.

And also in a coule of months, in october time there is going to be a great FW update which will include the fantastic long awaited PSOne emulator and in november you will be able to have another FW update which will include PS3 connectivity

Then PSP games will start to require PSP FW 2.70 and above to play on the console, and also another great feature of having the latest FW is being able to play the downloadable game demos on the PSP system.

I mean why would you want to keep your psp at FW 1.5, because if you keep it at a lower FW you wont be able to use your psp to its full capibilitys.

So why would you not want to have the latest PSP FW and not be able to use your psp to its full capibilitys, it just seems silly to me, because i think sonys FW updates are really good and most of them have great features.

gunntims0103
July 1st, 2006, 23:56
yea but for most of us we want to run the psp at its full hombrew capabilitys not its own capabilitys hombrew has opened a whole new world of stuff and im not gonna update untill a real upagrade is made with a new fireware like a ps1 emu then il consider upgrading not now

whitey75
July 2nd, 2006, 00:36
Hopefully we will be able to emulate the firmware that is required to run the ps1 emulator using devHook or some other device (unless of course we can hack this new firmware).

tophead420
July 2nd, 2006, 01:09
exactly i totally agree why risk your psp and about waiting for kernal mode exploit i was sayn the samething in the thread thats was on here the other day just be patient ad wait all things take time lol

nielsss
July 2nd, 2006, 01:39
For god sake dont come on a homebrew site if you dont like homebrew....im not trying to be rude but there is no other way to say this

F9zDark
July 2nd, 2006, 02:34

You're just saying that because you didn't do your research. I am sorry for what happened, but don't blame Dark Alex for what you did. If anything blame the liar who told the scene that it worked from the start.

And even then, you should have been wary enough to wait until there was a 75% or better success rate.

Downgrading will be only option left for us. Sony can easily prevent certain features from running entirely with a few bits of code. They can easily include these ON TOP of what they have already implemented.

It isn't long before there is an unexploitable firmware or a firmware that while being exploited, simply throws more walls in the way.

judas_coach
July 2nd, 2006, 02:39

Regards
i think this guy is off his trolley! homebrew wont be able to create a camera and they will never be able to create a stabe PSOne emulator. all you listed was 20 YEAR OLD GAMES. the 3.00 users will laugh their asses off at people like this while theyre playing NEW UMD games and 7000 games on their PSOnes emulator. people like this are fools.
And that's guaranteed.

aries2k4
July 2nd, 2006, 02:48
Dude, your the fool or very jealous. There is no downside to downgrading because you can always go backup. Of course you canīt make a camera with homebrew, you also canīt Make one on your 2.7:rolleyes: . Both users have to buy the camera. One user can use it officially and the 1.5 user can hopefully use it with some great homebrew program. Noneone who loves homebrew can deny 1.0 or 1.5 is the way to go.;)

judas_coach
July 2nd, 2006, 02:55
Dude, your the fool or very jealous. There is no downside to downgrading because you can always go backup. Of course you canīt make a camera with homebrew, you also canīt Make one on your 2.7:rolleyes: . Both users have to buy the camera. One user can use it officially and the 1.5 user can hopefully use it with some great homebrew program. Noneone who loves homebrew can deny 1.0 or 1.5 is the way to go.;)
Now you see that's what most homebrew users live on; HOPE. while the downgrader was being used i saw hundreds of posts on websites just saying "Oh god im worried jesus i hope this works" and that made me laugh. the uncertainty of so many faithful 'homebrew' users compared to the 100% certainty of upgraders. the upgraders will DEFINATELY be able to use the camera, the GPS, the eye toy and the PSOne emulator. its ASSURED. but these poor 1.5 users will have to rely on a team of 5 people to make the new devhook compatible with the new firmware. havent cracked 2.6 yet? what a shame, upgraders are already up to 2.71. the new firmwares will be do or die for so many PSP users, and I'll be laughing from the sidelines; cause i have 2 PSPs.

SINIStER
July 2nd, 2006, 03:04
Nuff said!!!

judas_coach
July 2nd, 2006, 03:05
^obviously chose not to read my post above..

SINIStER
July 2nd, 2006, 03:29
Ok not all of us can afford 2 psp's(kids,rent and bills)but I bet if you had a 2.6 psp you would have downgraded too.A camera...come on plz look how far the PS2 eyetoy went and a ps1 emulator?For what!? If I can play thoes games on my PS2...look im not trying to knock the new fw's but alot of us prefer to play games that we cant get any more or just are not coming out for any systems(True homebrew)!Just my oppinion.All I can say is to each his own!

judas_coach
July 2nd, 2006, 03:35
Ok not all of us can afford 2 psp's(kids,rent and bills)but I bet if you had a 2.6 psp you would have downgraded too.A camera...come on plz look how far the PS2 eyetoy went and a ps1 emulator?For what!? If I can play thoes games on my PS2...look im not trying to knock the new fw's but alot of us prefer to play games that we cant get any more or just are not coming out for any systems(True homebrew)!Just my oppinion.All I can say is to each his own!
yes and i could play those other games on my SNES 20 years ago, my n64 10 years ago and i can still play my GameBoy games on a proper GameBoy system. just stop by eBay or your local second hand store, youre sure to find a NES.
and yes to each his own opinion, its just that my opinion is more logical.
EDIT: oh and i havent and wont downgrade my 2.6. waiting for proper kernel access. im moving towards the future.

SINIStER
July 2nd, 2006, 03:48
Logical?Because that's what you believe?Look if that's what you believe then more power to you but dont knock the ppl that did dgrade...and like I said before if you had one psp you most likely would have dgraded.

cburke1
July 2nd, 2006, 05:00
I have started a help site for psp brick vics. I f you are one please check out this site... http://www.freewebs.com/pspbricks/

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:10
Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way Modchip Is The Way

notaforumtroll
July 2nd, 2006, 11:23
Modchip = rather have a 4gb memstick
plus its a pain in the ass to install unless youre a pro or know one.

Chances are you dev hook will have full support for 2.6 before you get 2.6 working WITHOUT GTA in full kernel mode. Why would a coder spend his valueable time when you can just downgrade and emu 2.6 ? Moving fowards doesnt mean running the latest firmware.

If youre a chicken shit and are affraid to use the working downgrade well tough shit for you its a catch 22.

Eitherway look for 2.6 dev hook before a full working kernel mode in 2.6 WITHOUT GTA

lplover2k
July 2nd, 2006, 12:52
I hope that eventually we can run homebrew from the menu on a 2.6 with full 1.5 capability's

some one experience with psp development, will this be possible?? i dun really want to downgrade

Edshugeo
July 2nd, 2006, 13:36
Downgrading is the best way to go, for now. Mostly cuz it's reversable. I can choose to upgrade once it becomes neccessary to do so (and it won't be, if I can't play homebrew). A bricked PSP using the downgrader, would for me, be returnable under my extended warranty. Not likely if I attempted to solder a modchip, which in my opinion is too expensive at this point. I might pay a hundred bucks for a modchip and labor (installation), but that's not an option right now. Then again, the downgrader may've reduced demand for the modchip, which could affect pricing.

On the downside, that thing which must never be discussed here, was the first thing I tried, once I downgraded, though I had no previous interest in doing such a thing. Power currupts.

SiZiOUS
July 2nd, 2006, 13:41
So lets have some discussion on whether downgrading is really the best option?
I think yes, because there are somes cool proggy that do firmware emulation, for example Dev Hook. So you can have installed the 1.50 magic (:D) version and have in case of need the 2.50 version.

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 13:48
I m using flash homebrew and its really good

jimmi
July 2nd, 2006, 14:02
mm.. yer i just downgraded my psp to 1.50 , i must say its not the best ya no? sure, having working homebrew from the menu and fastest emus etc. and devhook (my devhook dnt seem to run gta lcs) mite b able to crack further firmwared but sony will release the inevitable super firmware 10.48932478391 or sumthing , and when they do us 1.50ers will b SCEREWD

btw if your feeing generous can u pm about this devhook problem , cheers.

ENG
July 2nd, 2006, 14:16
Personally, i wouldn't risk my 2.6 psp, but i also have a 1.5 psp also, so already know the greatness of 1.5.

gotmilk0112
July 2nd, 2006, 14:18
i say downgrading is the way to go because you can be back at 1.50, the king of homebrew and have access to all homebrew and the ratio of bricks to successful downgrades is 3 : 100+ :D

lplover2k
July 2nd, 2006, 16:04
i don't want to take the risk....is there a possibility that later we won't need 1.5 to run "1.5 only" homebrew on 2.6

F9zDark
July 2nd, 2006, 16:11
yes and i could play those other games on my SNES 20 years ago, my n64 10 years ago and i can still play my GameBoy games on a proper GameBoy system. just stop by eBay or your local second hand store, youre sure to find a NES.
and yes to each his own opinion, its just that my opinion is more logical.
EDIT: oh and i havent and wont downgrade my 2.6. waiting for proper kernel access. im moving towards the future.

You're moving closer towards being Sony's butt buddy thats all. Downgrading defies everything that Sony stands for on the PSP, and sends a much greater message to them than just running homebrew alone.

Of course, if you want to continue to upgrade and be a panty waist, supporting Sony's blatant efforts at keeping the end user from utilizing the full potential of their 250 dollar system, then so be it.

But I sure as **** wont.

And the newest Razr phone from Verizon does everything that the PSP will do in the future. And its a hell of a lot cheaper.

Decius
July 2nd, 2006, 17:32
Maybe Sony spotted this exploit before hackers did and realized a downgrader was possible. Maybe thats why they rushed out a 2.7 update, just a thought.

Rekka1210
July 2nd, 2006, 17:39
honestly, i'd rather just wait for an exploit. Me and my cousin share a psp now (my old one broke, it didn't brick, i dropped it), i have downgraded psp's before but this one seems like a bigger risk then the 2.0 > 1.5 downgrader....plus i don't have GTA

ninja9393
July 3rd, 2006, 00:54
Downgrading is good for hombrew and stuff like that. Plus any ISO's and UMD's that are 1.5 to 2.5 can be played on a 1.5 psp. Im going to buy a 2nd psp (ebay) for the update for the ps1 emulator and stuff like that.

My thoughts on the 2.5/2.6 downgrader is that i wouldent personally use it if I had that version of psp cause if it gets bricked, $250.00 out the door:mad:.

I have personally used the 2.0 downgrader and I am happy I did use it:D :D :D

BL4Z3D247
July 3rd, 2006, 00:59
well first off if u know what ur doin and read about the subject(meanin find out if u have the right motherboard and if u know u upgraded ur psp to 2.5/2.6) before doin anything the chances of u brickin ur psp r slim to none...i did it to 3 psp's(2.6 downgrader beta for psp-hacks) and one other psp w/ the 2.0 downgrader and i have no regrets at all

YourStillWithMe
July 3rd, 2006, 01:37
Decius I think is right in terms of the exploit thats why i used to say a while back that 1.51 and 1.52 were definitely crackable because sony made both the 1.52 update and 2.00 update very quickly. However though judascoach-stop bringing anger and debate into this thread, thats not what it is here for. You may say what your saying now in terms of the homebrew but i willingly upgraded to 1.52 when it first came out thinking what yout hink and that the new stuff is moving forward, cool things will be released, etc. etc. but once you experience 1.50 and know its capabilities you wont, why upgrade when you can emulate them ALL at once? Just answer that question.

How do you get the fact that 3.00 will NOT be emulated?? No one ever thought that 2.00, 2.50 and 1.50 could be run on one psp via devhook, no one thought we could bypass updates (especially the GTA one) with version changers, n64 emulator could be done, etc. Confidence is key here my friend.

acn010
July 3rd, 2006, 06:26
i should say downgrade till you get the modchip

PoorWhiteTrash
July 3rd, 2006, 09:30
1.5 is just where I want to stay. I had updated mine to 2.0 when I first got it, then realised that even though a web browser was cool, where in the hell would I use it? Then I discovered HB, and found I couldn't use it on 2.0. Then I discovered MPHs' downgrader, and I was able to right the wrong I committed to my PSP.

I currently own no UMD games, because all the ones I did own disappointed me greatly so they got sold on ebay. I do not bother with with ISOs, because it is piracy, and I am a bit to lazy to try and figure them out.

I did finally download DevHook and get it installed, but all I do with that is show it off to others that I can switch firmwares when ever I want. Maybe someday I will borrow or buy a game that actually requires it, but not in the near future.

All I use my PSP for now is HB and to play Nintendo games. Since this is the only non nintendo device I have ever owned, it is a no brainer that I would use it to play nintendo. Never been a fan of sony, and PS1 emulation isn't high on my list disires.

Downgrading to 1.50 is the best route, in my eyes.

ACID
July 3rd, 2006, 09:35
Mi thing is downgrade i know the mod chip is goign to be nice but if you can downgrade use that money to get another PSP and there you go homebrew and emu for one an the rest with the other

mr_nick666
July 3rd, 2006, 12:27
1.5 is just where I want to stay. I had updated mine to 2.0 when I first got it, then realised that even though a web browser was cool, where in the hell would I use it? Then I discovered HB, and found I couldn't use it on 2.0. Then I discovered MPHs' downgrader, and I was able to right the wrong I committed to my PSP.

I currently own no UMD games, because all the ones I did own disappointed me greatly so they got sold on ebay. I do not bother with with ISOs, because it is piracy, and I am a bit to lazy to try and figure them out.

I did finally download DevHook and get it installed, but all I do with that is show it off to others that I can switch firmwares when ever I want. Maybe someday I will borrow or buy a game that actually requires it, but not in the near future.

All I use my PSP for now is HB and to play Nintendo games. Since this is the only non nintendo device I have ever owned, it is a no brainer that I would use it to play nintendo. Never been a fan of sony, and PS1 emulation isn't high on my list disires.

Downgrading to 1.50 is the best route, in my eyes.

Im much the same! :p All that power and I prefer to play my hombrew! :rolleyes:

YourStillWithMe
July 3rd, 2006, 18:12
Acidburn05-Yeah, you have a good point i already have 2 psp's and its awesome if i EVER feel the need to keep up with updates, i will do that. The modchip is a bit risky too i think i mean it was just announced out of nowhere one day and it could mess up your wiring within the system. Devhook does what the modchip does basically, i prefer to save my $

Topknot
July 3rd, 2006, 21:57
I see a lot of people arguing over staying at 1.5, upgrading, downgrading...

Surely the downgrader is simply adding to a long list of 'options' people have to enjoy there PSP with.

As long as exploits keep coming people who update will eventually get homebrew albeit limited in useage like the GTA hack, those on 1.5 will eventually be able to play the newer games through firmware emulation... everybodies happy.

People can now have the OPTION to stick to whatever firmware they choose (up to 2.6) thanks to the GTA explot, TIFF exploit, 2.6 downgrader, 2.0 downgrader, devhook's firmware emulation, the UP modchip to save bricked PSP's (when the chip and install prices come down anyway) and pretty much know for certain they can change as and when required or when homebrew becomes stale.

Newer firmware users enjoy newer games and features while waiting for the eventual exploit (and it will come, just look at everything thats been accomplished in the last year), older firmwares enjoy almost new games, legally via umd emulators while waiting for the eventual newer firmware to be emulated.

People need to stop arguing and flaming, a new wave of interest has just sparked from all the new 1.5 users which can only be good for new homebrew, a kernal exploit will probably eventually come through the GTA loader for those worried about downgrading so hopefully those guys will get the full homebrew library with no more effort than loading devhook up, the newer firmwares have the camera and psone emu to look forward and any possible exploits that come from those updates... everybody should be golden right now ;)

I was verry cautious about downgrading, even more so as I already own another 1.5... was it worth it when I already had full homebrew on another PSP kinda thing.

I took the plunge with the final version and it worked a treat for me. I got the UMD error but that has been sorted by removing the battery as instructed and I havnt had a single prob with it running a wide range of homebrew on a 2GB stick.

Do I think downgrading is the best way to go? Not for everybody, probably for some, definitly not for others... but at least now theres viable options which can only be good.

squiredog
July 3rd, 2006, 22:50
I downgraded back to 1.5 no problemo...
Thing is dev hook wont play my locoroco umd and i don't see why i should fill my ms with an iso when i have the damn disc!! I also now cant play my imported densha de go umd..

So Ive stuck it backto 2.6 - i got a 1gig stick full of homebrew,emulators and videos and can play my games off the umds i got...can't see the point..

a 2.6 kernel hack i CAN see the point of..but until then i honestly can't see a reason to downgrade..maybe someone enlighten me if i'm being stupid but i reckon most people have downgraded so they can play loco roco iso cos it aint out yet in the USA..

Topknot
July 4th, 2006, 01:26
Thing is dev hook wont play my locoroco umd and i don't see why i should fill my ms with an iso when i have the damn disc!!

Use the devhook usb mod and play the iso from your PC with a usb cable ;)

YourStillWithMe
July 4th, 2006, 03:59
Topknot-you make a very good point. . . .To each his own. Some may heart the downgrade, some may hate it but there IS something for everyone and there is no need to attack other users and flame them. I feel comfortable doing the 2.00 downgrade cause you see everything and to me it looks a bit more secure and less sketchy but i would never try the 2.50 or 2.60 downgrade due to the fact that the screen goes black for like a minute and you have no idea what its doing, the 2.50 or 2.60 needs the dumped 1.50 firmware, and it is a beta (not 100% perfect) but ehh whatever floats your boat we should support one another

squiredog
July 4th, 2006, 07:58
Use the devhook usb mod and play the iso from your PC with a usb cable ;)

ok , but one of the Ps in PSP stands for portable....so I fail to see the point of playing games sat tethered to a pc..especially when I have the UMD disc - seems mental to me..http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/images/smilies/redface.gif
:o

Nah , I stand by my decision..untildev hook emulates 2.6 or they get kernel mode in 2.6 , I'm staying put.