PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Refutes Rumors of Internal Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive

wraggster
July 1st, 2006, 19:22
Considering most companies have a policy of not addressing rumors, Microsoft sure has been a nattering Nancy lately. It appears that reports of Redmond including an internal HD DVD drive in the Xbox 360 console (as opposed to the external drive which they announced earlier this year) were wildly off base. A representative from the company said, “What we showcased at E3 was an external HD DVD drive, and we’re sticking with that…So: no plans for an internal HD DVD.”

Wow, way to keep your options open, Microsoft. First no price drop and now no internal high definition disc drive, which must perturb Toshiba just a little bit. That’s either extreme arrogance or blissful ignorance talking. Time will tell.

The Hombrew Hunter
July 2nd, 2006, 14:11
Let's hope it's the latter, then.

Personally, I fell that when the Wii and PS3 are released, the Xbox 360 will pull a Dreamcast.

KultiVator
July 3rd, 2006, 12:18
The HomeBrew Hunter wrote...

"when the Wii and PS3 are released, the Xbox 360 will pull a Dreamcast."

What this story is really about is Microsoft not wanting potential 360 buyers waiting to buy a souped up 360 at some later date, when by that time the 360 will have two major competitors in the market.

The external HD-DVD is today's solution, but MS have always said that they want to keep the 360 competitive during it's natural life. I take this to mean that they are prepared to revamp the internal hardware when it makes sense to do so (e.g. fit a HD-DVD drive instead of the SD-DVD drive and most likely a larger HDD in the future as well).

However, given Sony's bumbling with the PS3 launch / price / controller / dev costs (see other games sites for recent stories on developers dropping projects for PS3) / poor track record in online gaming / etc I'm not sure just how much of a threat the extremely late PS3 is going to be in Europe and the states.

The PS3 will have great hardware, but given the 360's 12 month head start and frankly similar GFX, how many gamers will want to part with the extra cash in Europe and the US? Sony's base of exclusive games with 'Western Appeal' has really shrunk.

A lot of folks like me remember buying a PS2 only to find the internet connectivity to be a joke. MS have actually delivered a pretty good online experience - and hopefully the content will just continue to grow and become more diverse.

I don't pretend to have a crystal ball, but there seems to be growing consensus that Sony have become too arrogant and may take a bit of a beating on the PS3 outside of Asia.

KultiVator