PDA

View Full Version : Feature - Are Sony Using Code From VGS or Bleem in their PSone Emulator for PSP ?

wraggster
July 1st, 2006, 23:12
Sony are to release a Playstation One Emulator in their PSP handheld Console but several years ago they were extremely anti PsOne emulators and took 2 Software Developers to Court and actually brought one of those companies.

Back in 2001 Sony, after trying to put the Mac Based Playstation Emulator Virtual Game Station produced by Connectix out of buisness since 1999 brought the company and since then nothing has been heard of from the emulator.

Around the same the Bleem Company introduced the world to its Playstation Emulator for the PC and the world was amazed at both these emulators, Bleem also released 3 Single Game Playstation Emulators for the Dreamcast which actually played PSOne games at a higher resolution thus making Sony extremely annoyed and worried.

Both emulators brought PSone emulation to their respective systems and threatened Sonys PS2 sales which worried Sony no end, one of the sales features of the PS2 was the fact it played PSOne games, but to see the best games playable on the Rival Dreamcast or Windows/Mac computers was something Sony would not stand for.

So after many legal battles Sony won and both companies were either Sold to Sony or just folded.

PSone Emulation in the PSP

If you have never used VGS or Bleem then you have missed out on 2 of the finest emulators released ever, Sony releasing their own PSone emulator for the PSP should be very interesting, especially if its using code from either VGS or Bleem.

A PSP magazine this week claimed that 7000 games will be playable in some form on the soon to be released PSP Emulator which gives further credence to what im saying above.

Over the next few months we shall see the emulator released and then we can put it under the microscope.

Its amazing that a company who went after emulator coders so much years ago is now releasing its own commercial emulator.

Got an Opinion or a Comment then please respond

TheEmulatorGuy
July 1st, 2006, 23:17
Heh, yeah right. Bleem! was highly underdeveloped. There's now way it'd run any good game like Final Fantasy VIII. Now, they could improve it, but they'd still need to port it first. It would be far easier to make one from scratch.

The only really good thing about Bleem! is that they developed their own, legal BIOS, making it the only legally usable PlayStation emulator. But that isn't needed for the PSP, since Sony are distributing it...

Shiaoran
July 1st, 2006, 23:19
They better use the VGS code than make a crappy emulator. I think they will, since they own the company and the code. They only need to port it, wich shouldn't be dificult for those people.

Zion
July 1st, 2006, 23:21
I don't care how they do it, i can't wait for a full speed ps1 emu for the psp :D

Would still prefer a homebrew one though.....

gunntims0103
July 1st, 2006, 23:23
the emulator made by sony should be the very best for the psp as its there hardware there porting so it should be good as there the ones that made the ps1 so they should have the best understanding of how to creat a ps1 emu for the psp

i say they should build one from scratch i think it would be better that way

xiringu
July 1st, 2006, 23:27
from my point of view, Sony should start it from scratch.

they know the hardware, they have the resources, the programmers, the money, etc...so why not create it with lots of ASM to make it run smooth?

it just makes sense...

mavsman4457
July 1st, 2006, 23:34
I just thought about the widescreen of the PSP and how that will be handled with this emu. Originally I figured that there would either be a stretched out screen or black spaces on the left and right of the screen. Now I am thinking that Sony might alter the games to make them fit on the PSP screen. They are already changing them so the buttons will work so why not change the screen. Also, will Sony change the games and input online play? They'd better. If they don't do that then they are just lazy. We really need someone to make a homebrew PS1 emulator, badly.

gronne
July 1st, 2006, 23:45
I'd say what xiringu says. Sony actually have 1:1 facts on every instruction the psone handles, which "normal" emu-devs only have guessed. They should be able to make a splendid emu on their own knowledge of the psone.

Lumir
July 1st, 2006, 23:45
If sony is doing it, regardless of how they do it, it will be worth it. Ive used many sony products/software and they never do anything half-behind.

This emu will run perfectly, though im not certine about the screen size, or the size of the games themselves for that matter, but i am damb shure im goin to have to choose between ps1 emu or homebrew...

Im really hoping some talented coder will be able to hack the emu and make it playable on 1.5fw, and if its not possible, then i hope some 1 just makes a ps1 emu of there own.

The way i see it, if n64 can be emulated so can ps1. I cant wait for this to launch and plan to play FF7 and CV SOTN right away, depending on the price.

The homebrew scene will be all over this, just hope for a good outcome from those talented coders.

whitey75
July 1st, 2006, 23:58
The point is that it is their product so they can do what they want with it. It will only help sales of the psp.

When another company bites into their bottom line, then its another matter entirely. I cant blame them for clamping down on emulation when its going to hurt sales. Cant wait for ps1 emualtion on the psp though!

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 00:00
is sony actually making an emu? because i thought i heard somewhere that they are just porting all the games over and having the games launchable via the memory stick. I also heard to stop the pirating of the games that each game would be registered to the psp owners mac address.

samidgley
July 2nd, 2006, 00:10
I do think the emulator shall be rather good. And as long as it doesn't cost too much it'll probably be the thing I upgrade from 1.5 too, to be honest. The only thing that stops me now is the shocking prioce of games and the lack of really good ones, except for burnout but that works happily on 1.5

DarkworldPrince
July 2nd, 2006, 00:29
I still can't believe that people think sony are PORTING all of the psx's games to the PSP... does anyone know how long a port takes to develop????

It is an emulator... EMMM... OOOO... LAAAAY.... TUR.

The movie of the sony guy playing ridge racer shows the screen with two black bars. Sony have said from the start that it is an emulator.

Ape escape P = PSP port.
Medievil resurrection = PSP Port.

Both of these games were enhanced retrudges of games we bought 7 years ago. Sony will not remake many more PS1 games. An emulator is cheaper... easier and maaaan does it leave room for profit...

it'll also be easily nicked by the hacker community and opened for iso use. I for one can't wait to play medievil 2, hercules and heart of darkness again.

T-2000
July 2nd, 2006, 00:49
i thought they had already "ported" most ps1 games onto the psp, just souped them up slighty.. i dont see the excitement of the ps1 2 psp at all..

mavsman4457
July 2nd, 2006, 01:22
I think that if nobody can hack the emulator so that it is usable on 1.5 through devhook or whatever, then there will be a coder or two that will decide to make their own by then.

dadrester
July 2nd, 2006, 01:31
screen sizes have been confirmed by sony (at the bloody e3 press conference, you slowcoaches) as 320x240, and stretched to fit a la mp4 videos. go find the press conference video of ridge racer on gametrailers or something. sony isn't going to release a sub standard emu so we can all expect/demand (at least for the supported games) a fully functional psone... on a psp... as far as button config that's been confirmed by sony too iirc. only games that are going to be problematic are those that require analogue (ape escape is the only one that springs to mind). as far as bleem and VGS are concerned... not a chance! sony wouldn't bother keeping on any of the staff, codebase or assets of either project! why would they?! they have every piece of information on the hardware, bios, software, etc, etc, they would need. why port a 6 year (sub standard- don't flame me;)) old emu when you have the resources (and more than likely codebase) to write a better and more reliable new one... more interesting is the disappearance of the pspone emu that was being worked on... Cease and desist possibly?! can whoever was working on the emu make any kind of comment? even one like "i can't comment" ;) on a final note... dear mr wraggser i love this site and am a frequent visitor however i have to point out the difference between buying and bringing! i bought. i brought!!! sorry for being a pain but it's one of those grammar mistakes that really gets to me :P

lostless
July 2nd, 2006, 04:16
well all in all, VGS was not a bad emu by any means. Its compatability was supurb. It ran most of all my games without a hitch. Maybe 2 of mine didnt work out of 30 or so ps1 games i have.
And to correct the post on this. Sony did not buy the company that made VGS. They just bought all the rights and code to VGS. Microsoft ended up buying the company that made VGS.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
July 2nd, 2006, 09:52
i dont care what they do, i just want the full speed, widescreen ps1 emulator to play FF7, thats all i want.XD:D :D

ChaosCrypt
July 2nd, 2006, 10:09
Dont forget

http://www.epsxe.com/news.php

Been a bit quiet (dead???) recently, but still out there for download.

Still worth trying out.

Junior
July 2nd, 2006, 10:14
I believe it wouldn't make sense to use any third party created emulator.

Sony has all the information there is about the PS1, thus enabling it to create 'the perfect' - and the only perfect PS1 emulator.

I'm talking as close to PS1 on a chip as you can get. Compatible and easy on the resources.

The games will be slightly patched for better PSP controllability. Replacing lots of calls for PSP equivalents. That's normally what the emulator does, but hey, more power to Sony. In most cases having the sources will smoothen the process and help build exceptions and improvements. Sony will modify the sources and rebuild tiny fractions of all the games code for each one supposed to be sold online. Mainly about controls, DRM, savegame support and power saving.

To get games out in such large quantities means the QA will not even be able to play through each game even once!

This is why online support for updates will come in handy for some games.

Just my 0.02 €.

gavind
July 2nd, 2006, 11:34
on a final note... dear mr wraggser i love this site and am a frequent visitor however i have to point out the difference between buying and bringing! i bought. i brought!!! sorry for being a pain but it's one of those grammar mistakes that really gets to me :P

lol i also seen that mistake and was going to point it out.

PS1 Emu - didnt Sony take them companies to court to shut them down, since they won the court battle they do then own the company but theres no way they would use their software.

As for the PSP's PS1 Emulator, lets all wait and see what Sony come up with.

mameuser
July 2nd, 2006, 11:44
Please, you all...

who make PSP > sony
and who make Psone > sony

There make a hardware known as PSone
There got no problem to make a software version PSone on PSP. Because there are Sony

ENG
July 2nd, 2006, 12:10
I hope this emulator will allow me to play all my old ps1 games, without having to pay for all of them again, if it did, then i would update my 2.6 psp immediately.

mrbob3
July 2nd, 2006, 12:55
I have over 200 ps1 games and a 1.5fw psp. At best on my 4gb hardisk im gonna get 4 ps1 games, so the syphon filter series plus gt2 will do for me!. I dont know much about the ps1 emulator? i assume it will be sold in the shops. Shouldnt be too long before its "homebrewed". Ive paid sony once already for thier ps1 games, they can balls if they think im paying again.

DarkworldPrince
July 2nd, 2006, 15:11
Sony will not win on this one. The emulator will be stolen (christ. none of you must be gamecube owners... anyone read up on the zelda bonus disc n64 emulator revelation?)

Isos will be shrunk, popped onto our cards and played again. The idiots who updated to 3.0 for the emulator in the first place will be raging as usual and thentry to save face by bitching at everyone else for making use of isos. (sorry updaters. I have next to no respect for you all.) Like any of you care about Sony anyway. I hope they crash and burn after seeing the travesty that is the PS3.

This is the end of the matter. A dev-coded PSX emulator will be useless, but will probably show up in some form anyway.

10shu
July 3rd, 2006, 04:46
I, do not think the emulator will be playing Iso.
I think each game will have is own optimazed emulator...and $ony will try to sell us all the games we already buy on the ps1....

mr_nick666
July 3rd, 2006, 13:22
Sony will not win on this one. The emulator will be stolen (christ. none of you must be gamecube owners... anyone read up on the zelda bonus disc n64 emulator revelation?).

As a Gamecube owner I am intrigued! Tell me more! :eek:

I, do not think the emulator will be playing Iso.
I think each game will have is own optimazed emulator...and $ony will try to sell us all the games we already buy on the ps1....

True... Even if they use i5os they'll give it some other extension so it cant be used :mad: It would make sense for them to develop some high compression format... :rolleyes: I want to stay strong but when I see FFVII out I may break! :eek: (Im not willing to give up my 1.5 though!)

RedKing14CA
July 3rd, 2006, 15:19
maybe ill actually play through FF VII, VIII, and VIV

Ghengis
July 6th, 2006, 00:12
Under United States Copyright law, you should have an irrefutable right to the software you purchased, and to do with it what you will, DMCA notwithstanding. Sony's licensing tries to stipulate that you can only run it on a PS1 (if you ever bothered to read the fine print...), but no contract can remove rights granted to you by law. So, even if Sony tries to make you buy your PS1 games all over again, the ones you own you have every legal right to play on the PSP -- of course, YMMV trying to convince a judge of that ;-)