PDA

View Full Version : C compiling help!

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 01:52
Okay i have decided i want to learn to program in c. I am going to start with windows and then move my way to the psp.

Anyways right now I am using "Visual C++ 2005 Express edition" and i can not figure out how to compile what i have. Can anyone please help?

MasterChafed
July 2nd, 2006, 02:03
like you are having errors? are you trying to compile it for psp? if so, make sure you do not make a windows form. Also, you can easily write your programs in a text editor. I havent really gotten very deep into c programming because i thought I would learn lua first instead. But yeah, explain a little better, i may be able to help.

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 02:05
no i am not having any errors, i just want to know how to do compile what i have?

Yeah i also tried the whole lua thing but i decided to forget it due to that fact that it is not as powerfull and well rounded as c.

MasterChafed
July 2nd, 2006, 02:10
I just needed somewhere to start so i went with lua. But anyway, you want to compile it into an eboot? or a windows form? Eboot is more complicated, but if your program is for windows, then its as simple as pressing F5 from within Visual Studio. As for an eboot, you would need to have the psp toolchain and SDK installed along with a makefile that is made specifically for your program.

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 02:15
yeah i know eboot is more complicated that is why i am trying to learn windows first. When i press f5 i get nothing but oh well.

Does anyone know of any free,good windows based c compiler?

MasterChafed
July 2nd, 2006, 02:22
yeah, try DevC++ i think they might have DevC as well, if not, i think it is built into DevC++. This is what I had used for a while when i was learning to program in C++. Also, the reason you might not be getting anywhere is the fact that there might be errors in your code. there should be a dialog box at the bottom of the screen that has information from your compilation. Of course, the only things I ever made in C++ and Visual Basic were in windows forms, which are pretty easy. I made a calculator with a GUI and a Music player with a GUI (i also made a version of pong). Anyway, i wouldn't really know what to do unless i were there. If you can find out what errors are occuring or if you forgot some code, let me know.

MasterChafed
July 2nd, 2006, 02:25
try using different F buttons instead of F5, maybe i was wrong, but it seems like that was the button it said to press.

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 02:27
i am just going to restart with that dev c++ and find a better tutorial.

MasterChafed
July 2nd, 2006, 02:57
ok

yaustar
July 2nd, 2006, 17:33
If you are using the VC++ EE, a makefile project would probably be the easist routeto compile an eboot.

Code::Blocks is a good IDE (the nightly builds) that uses the same MinGW compiler as DevCpp but boasts more features in the IDE. It is also a lot more lightweight then VC++ EE.

BrooksyX
July 2nd, 2006, 19:20
yeah i switched to devc++ and got my "hello world" for windows to compile fine. I am going to learn c over the rest of the summer and hopefully by the end of summer/begining of fall i will have something to show.