PDA

View Full Version : Definative firmware guide

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 18:02
Over the past months I have seen people ask what features came out in what firmware and when did they come out so I have descided to compile a definative to the PSP firmware.

PSP SYSTEM SOFTWARE HISTORY

PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) System Software Update History.

System software ver 2.71

The PSP now supports the europian location free player and has added an eTV feature
You can now download Game demos from the web browser

System software ver 2.70 (25th april 2006)

Network

(internet browser)now supports macromedia flash contents playback *you need to enable the flash contents playback by system settings. *the macromedia flash player version is flash player 6.0 (a part of the functions is not supported).
The settings of the (internet browser) has been added into (settings) -> (connection settings)
The audio contents from channels in the (RSS channel) section now can be saved into the memory stick.
(auto) option added to (rate change) in (location free player)

Music

Added file extension to playable AAC format.
You can now drop pictures in folders album folders for the album picture instead of embeding it in the track.

Settings

Added [Enable Flash Player] in [System Settings].
*To change this option, you need to connect to the internet.
"Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" added to [System Settings] -> [System Language].
Added [RSS Channel Settings].
Added [UMD video L & R Button] into [Video Settings].Sonys firmware timetable
Other
Fixed some issues when using a memory stick with more than 2GB free space.
*This problem has not happened among the memory sticks sold in Japan until april 24th.
you can now play downloaded demos on your psp.
You can download 2.70 from our downloads page here

System software ver 2.60 (29th November 2005)

Network

Revisions to strengthen security have been added
[LocationFree Player] has been added as a feature under [Network]
[Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar
[Text Size] and [Display Mode] settings of the [Internet Browser] can now be saved
The input history of online forms accessed through the [Internet Browser] can now be
[Volume Adjustment] has been added as a feature to [LocationFree Player]
You can now download video data that supports copyright protection using the [Internet Browser
[RSS Channel] has been added as a feature under [Network]
[Simplified Chinese (GB18030)] and [Traditional Chinese (Big5)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar

Video

Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on the memory stick)

Music

WMA has been added as a codec that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on the Memory Stick)

Settings

[Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings]
WPA-PSK (AES) has been added as a security method under [Network Settings]
Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard

system Software Ver. 2.50 (October 13, 2005)

Network

[LocationFree™ Player]* has been added as a feature under [Network].
[Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.
Settings for [Text Size] and [Display Mode] in [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
The input history of online forms accessed through [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
*Use of the LocationFree™ Player feature may not be supported in all countries and regions. Depending on where you live, the LocationFree™ Base Station may not be available for purchase or use. Certain models of the Base Station are not compatible with the PSP™ system. For details, visit http://www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp

Video

Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
For details, contact the video content provider.
Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright protected video.
Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries and regions.

Settings

[Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].
[WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].
Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 2.01 (October 3, 2005)

Settings

A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System Software Ver. 2.00 (August 24, 2005)

Network

An Internet browser has been added.

Video

4:3 Screen Mode has been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
Go To feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO and UMDMUSIC).
A-B Repeat feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO, UMDMUSIC and video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
Audio options have been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
MP4 (AVC) has been added as a playable file format (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).

Music

The combination of SonicStage version 3.2 (or later) and PSP system software 2.00 (or later) has made it possible for music files in ATRAC3 plus format to be transferred to a Memory Stick PRO Duo
MP4 (the audio codec for MP4 format audio files is MPEG-4 AAC) and WAV (Linear PCM) have been added as playable file formats (for music saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).

Photos

Wallpaper feature has been added.
Image transfer feature has been added.
TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP have been added as viewable file formats.

Settings

Korean has been added as a system language in [System Settings].
[Character Set] has been added in [System Settings].
[Theme Settings] has been added.
[Internet Browser Start Control] has been added as a security mode in [Security Settings].
WPA-PSK (TKIP) has been added as a security mode in [Network Settings].
Web address shortcut feature has been added as an input mode for the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 1.52 (June 15, 2005)

Music

UMD™MUSIC can now be played under [Music] in the home menu.

Settings

Security for the system software has been strengthened.

System Software Ver. 1.51 (May 18, 2005)

Settings

A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System software ver. 1.50 (march 2005)

Game

play games in UMD format
game sharing (for supported games)
save games on Memory Stick
copy savegames to another Memory Stick
delete savegames from Memory Stick

Video

watch video in UMD format
watch video saved on Memory Stick
control panel with audio, angle, subtitle, volume, screen mode, display, chapter, fast forward and reverse, slow, frame advance, repeat, play, pause, and stop controls
remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, menu, stop, chapter, fast forward and reverse, and slow functions

Music

play music in UMD format

play music saved on Memory Stick
play tracks in Group Mode (from Memory Stick when groups were configured on a PC)
control panel with previous and next group, previous and next track, fast forward and reverse, play, pause, stop, and group mode controls
remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, stop, skip, and fast forward and reverse functions

Photo

view photos in jpeg format (saved on memory stick)
control panel with view mode, display, help, zoom in and out, rotate left and right, move up/down/left/right, previous and next image, and slideshow controls
remote control and system buttons can be used for slideshow, zoom, previous and next, rotate, and move functions

Settings

network update (update firmware via wi-fi)
USB mode (for connecting to a PC)
video settings (UMD menu, audio, and subtitle language)
photo settings (slideshow speed)
system settings (language, nickname, format memory stick)
date and time settings (set date and time, adjust for dayight savings time)
power save settings (auto backlight shut off, sleep mode)
sound settings (automatic volume limiter system, key tone)
security settings (password, parental control)
network settings (WLAN)

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 18:55
please feel free to make comments

mat_dizzy
July 2nd, 2006, 19:03
hmm this is intresting... but i dont agree with your sig!

sony are a big huge company who make millions every week through selling their goods, and they expect you to play 30-45 pounds for a umd disc... and when you can get them for free, at the end of the day they dont loose anything!

now if it was a small company, who wernet making anything near to what sony do, then i would agree with you!

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 19:08
good point

pepegomez
July 2nd, 2006, 19:17
nice !

but could u add a lil bit about 1.0?
i wonder why there are still ppl on 1.0.

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 19:22
ok i'll research it now

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 19:47
sorry I cant find anything on firmware 1.0 no sites seem to have anything about it, I'll add it if i do find anything, lets just say 1.0 is everything that was on the psp before fw 1.5 came

BTW maybe this could be a sticky thread

eliteflyer
July 2nd, 2006, 19:49
Arrr I hate sony why don't they allow homebrew instead of making all these updates??

b8a
July 2nd, 2006, 20:06
mat_dizzy, benh, you both come off as a couple of gits.

FIRSTLY: ISO piracy hurts everyone, not just Sony, so there's no good justification for it. If you think there is, not only are you an utter moron, but this site is not for you. Pro-ISO posts are heavily frowned upon, and if continued will cause you to be banned. If you feel like tempting this, then do everyone a favor, cut out the middle man, and just stop posting immediately.

SECONDLY: This is a useless thread. All benh has done is copy and pasted this text from Sony's official website, so a link to those pages would've been much preferable to this long-arsed, word-for-word regurgitated information clogging of up the front page. Besides, PSP-News has a dedication to citing it's sources, and this post boldly violates that cardinal rule.

THIRDLY: to pepegomez: as this was just copy and pasted from Sony's website's info on the history of firmware update details, benh cannot add the info on 1.00 -- it was never an update. However, to answer your question, 1.00 was severally limited. From what I've read, it only came with Japanese and English as selectable system languages. The one and only major advantage to 1.00 (and you wouldn't find this on an official Sony list even if it was available) was it's ability to natively run unsigned code without any hacks or tricks. There was absolutely nothing preventing homemade code from being run on those systems, so it is the hands-down "purest" environment for PSP homebrew. As to why people are still on it: everyone's got their own reasons. Staying at 1.00 certainly has it's drawbacks since anything that can be run on 1.00 can be run on 1.50 (the reverse isn't always true however), but there's deffinately something special about knowing you have a 1.00 system. Currently, there aren't many people who can say that, even fewer still that can claim to have a factory virgin model.

T-2000
July 2nd, 2006, 20:12
while the info is usefull to some, it does take the front page up..

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 20:18
i havent copyed it

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 20:30
I actually copyed it from my new website that im currenly developing

SSaxdude
July 2nd, 2006, 20:40

FIRSTLY: ISO piracy hurts everyone, not just Sony.
Actually, piracy creates jobs (ie. those who try and stop it.)

b8a
July 2nd, 2006, 20:58
i havent copyed it Oh for bloody goodness sakes, the only thing worse than a thief is a liar who can't admit that he's a thief. Alright, it's not word-for-word, but it's darn close enough.

Here's the link to the official Sony page with largely the same info: http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Support/SystemUpdateHistory But, I suppose they stole it from you, huh? Either that or you expect us to believe that "your page" is Sony's official site...

Actually, piracy creates jobs (ie. those who try and stop it.)I never said that there weren't people who benefit from it. What I said was "it hurts everyone", and it's true. Thievery, no matter what your justification, brings down society as a whole, and sooner or later it's going to catch up with you personally as well.

Besides, I work in a industry HEAVILY affected by piracy, and earn less than most of the kids here probably get in allowance. This is a VERY touchy subject for me, so please have the decency to take your cowardly excuses elsewhere, or better yet, not bring them up in the first place.

mat_dizzy
July 2nd, 2006, 20:58

FIRSTLY: ISO piracy hurts everyone, not just Sony, so there's no good justification for it. If you think there is, not only are you an utter moron, but this site is not for you. Pro-ISO posts are heavily frowned upon, and if continued will cause you to be banned. If you feel like tempting this, then do everyone a favor, cut out the middle man, and just stop posting immediately.

i am a great fan of the psp and the comercial games released! And i love this site man! i love homebrew and emulation on my psp, but i am just saying that at the end of the day sony are no worse off.... they still have pleantly more people buying the games than illegally downloading iso's! but for the people who know i dont think it will harm!

as i said sony are a massive company making millions every week!

i dont run games illegaly myself, i buy them! and i want sony to keep making commercial games!

im for and against this matter, but onto the actuall topic :rolleyes: :p

this information is handy and intresting but as some people said it takes up too much space on the home page! but the weird thing is i swear ive seen this info somewhere before:confused:

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 21:12
alright I copyed it, as you said not word for word but i copyed it, and I dont normally copy stuff so I wouldt say I'm a theif

Sorry

b8a
July 2nd, 2006, 21:25
mat_dizzy: That makes me feel good to know that you don't personally, pirate, but you shouldn't be making excuses, or attempting to add any bit of legitimacy to the pathetic excuses of those who do.

I'm not going to track down the links, because the news is so prevalent that you'd have to conciously try to ignore it NOT to see it, but, you're right, Sony does bring in millions each week. But they're also loosing millions each week. Togeather, that does not translate into making millions. They've posted massive loses for the past few consecutive years. Now, I'm not a Sony lover, and I think that, regardless of the thievery going on, they're largely to blame for the financial situation they're in, but that's still not even close to enough justification to wish them ill will.

And on to the specific issue of UMD piracy: Sony only takes a fraction of the profits from those sales. The people you are hurting the most are the specific developers of those games. Thanks to piracy, a game can be massively popular and entirely unproffitable at the same time, and not only does this mean dire financial situations for the devoted, talented developers, but it also means less quality, original, inspired software, because the people trying to develop it can't stay in business.

Even for extremely poor people, there's no excuse, so please don't try to argue it. The bottom line is that this site's piracy stance is firm, and you really should respect that.

benh: Thank you for fessing up. In the future, PLEASE just post your sources!!!!! This still could be a news item, but by merely posting the link you could've made it massively smaller.

mat_dizzy
July 2nd, 2006, 21:25
still handy info though :p

acn010
July 2nd, 2006, 21:26
oh lol.
please is pretty unfair if you copy from somewhere and give no credit for the one who did it.
benh next time give credit and show what site you found it, k man? :)

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 21:29
sure

mat_dizzy
July 2nd, 2006, 21:35
yeah thats a point, if your gonna use something else thats not yours originaly you should always use credit ;)

benh
July 2nd, 2006, 21:37
Next time I will promise

mavsman4457
July 2nd, 2006, 21:38
I figured that since this guide was "homemade" then it would share the features of a 1.0 PSP. Seeing as it doesn't and it isn't homemade, it is 100% useless and I would rather just go to the Sony site for this info. Thank you b8a for the info regarding the 1.0 PSP's.

mog
July 2nd, 2006, 21:40
Yep, this thread is a little pointless...
Also it seems like you are saying all those features listed under fw 1.50 are new features.
So its not really a definitive guide yet...

Here is a simpler version of this thread:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Support/SystemUpdate
http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Support/SystemUpdateHistory (http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP/Support/SystemUpdateHistory)
And here is the full update history -- with the actual 1.50 new features :p:
http://www.jp.playstation.com/psp/update/ud_01_hty.html
For the fw 1.00 details:
- No exploit needed to run unsigned code.
- Loads homebrew a little faster than 1.50
- Can decrypt the fake 1.00 update leak from Sony.
- Just plain kicks ass! :p

b8a
July 2nd, 2006, 21:49
mog: Thanks for the info!! Would you be willing to do us a favor and document the official differences between 1.00 and 1.50? Like I said, I've read that only Japanese and English are available on it, but before I read that, I assumed that all of the official XMB features were the same.

EDIT: Whoops! That last link does a pretty good job of this already. Thanks again!

translated:
System Software Version 1.50 Update Details [2005.03.24]

[Settings]
-With regards to the displayed language when making settings and displaying information on the PSP (Playstation Portable), support for the following languages has been added to the support for English and Japanese in System Software Ver.100.
German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portugese, Russian.

[Video]
-It's now been made so that when playing back video stored on "Memory Stick Duo", you can playback other video without loosing your settings to the screen mode.
-It's now been made so that when recovering from sleep mode while playing back video stored on Memory Stick Duo, you can resume playback from where the video left off. After recovering from sleep, with the Memory Stick icon selected, pressing the ◯ button will select the icon of the video which was previously playing back. If you press the ◯ button once more in this state, playback will start, continuing from where it left off.
*In the case of UMD Video Software, the above functions are already supported in System Software Ver.1.00. However, this function may not be supported by certain software in accordance with the specifications of the content creator.

[Music]
-It's now been made so that you can continue track playback from where you left off when recovering from sleep mode. With the Memory Stick icon selected after recovering from sleep mode, any of the controls below can be used to continue plaback.

-Press the play button on the remote control.
-Press the START button on the body.
-Press the △ button to display the option menu, select "Play" and press the ◯ button.
-It's now been made so that you can use alphabetical characters with accents for the files and folders for MP3 formatted music data. *1

[Photo]
-It's now been made so that you can use alphabetical characters with accents for the files and folders for photo files.

When using alphabetical characters with accents from European languages for folder names and file names, please do so when a language other than Japanese is selected for the display language. Also, when using Japanese for file names and folder names, please do so when Japanese is selected as the display language.

Just as a side note, the "confirm" button in Japan is the ◯ button, whereas (I beleive) in the rest of the world, "confirm" is the ✕ button. So, obviously the above changes would be documented slightly differently outside of Japan.

mat_dizzy
July 2nd, 2006, 21:52
b8a: ive had a think about this mate, and your right! sony being my best computer game company will be loosing millions due to piracy!

yet i dont agree in spending 30-45 pounds for one game as in my view its a complete rip of, the psp is a lengendery piece of kit. which for games like gta i would not mind splashing out a bit of money for!

:)

mog
July 2nd, 2006, 22:04
Well basically 1.00 has everything 1.50 has, minus what the 1.50 update gives! :p

I'm not good with the translating, but the small bits I can read are:

- Add German, Spanish, French, Dutch, Portuguese and Russian languages.
- Fixes problems that might occur with filenames and european language characters.
- Fixes some UMD and MP3 playback issues, some stuff to do with sleep mode.

Sorry that's about all I can figure out, I can't read japanese very well! :p
I'm sure you could do a much better job of translating. ;)

P.S. Don't take what I did translate as correct. There was quite a bit of guess work in there! :D

b8a
July 2nd, 2006, 22:26
Sorry mog! I realized that that last link had all the information I was looking for right after I made that post, and I updated my post with the translated information.
b8a: ive had a think about this mate, and your right! sony being my best computer game company will be loosing millions due to piracy!

yet i dont agree in spending 30-45 pounds for one game as in my view its a complete rip of, the psp is a lengendery piece of kit. which for games like gta i would not mind splashing out a bit of money for!

:)Agreed. I can't afford these games at these prices, but if everyone paid for them (and if Sony were honorable, which I think we have reason to expect they would be), then the prices would fall. It's basic economics.

mog
July 2nd, 2006, 22:33
translated:
System Software Version 1.50 Update Details [2005.03.24]
[Settings]
-With regards to the displayed language when making settings, displaying information on the PSP [Playstation Portable], support for the following languages has been added to the support for English and Japanese in System Software Ver.100.
German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portugese, Russian.

[Video]
-It's now been made so that when playing back video stored on "Memory Stick Duo", you can playback other video without loosing your settings to the screen mode.
-It's now been made so that when recovering from sleep mode while playing back video stored on Memory Stick Duo, you can resume playback from where the video left off. After recovering from sleep, with the Memory Stick icon selected, pressing the ◯ button will select the icon of the video which was previously playing back. If you press the ◯ button once more in this state, playback will start, continuing from where it left off.
*In the case of UMD Video Software, the above functions are already supported in System Software Ver.1.00. However, this function may not be supported by certain software in accordance with the specifications of the content creator.

[Music]
-It's now been made so that you can continue track playback from where you left off when recovering from sleep mode. With the Memory Stick icon selected after recovering from sleep mode, any of the controls below can be used to continue plaback.
-Press the play button on the remote control.
-Press the START button on the body.
-Press the △ button to display the option menu, select "Play" and press the ◯ button.
-It's now been made so that you can use alphabetical characters with accents for the files and folders for MP3 formatted music data. *1

[Photo]
-It's now been made so that you can use alphabetical characters with accents for the files and folders for photo files.

When using alphabetical characters with accents from European languages for folder names and file names, please do so when a language other than Japanese is selected for the display language. Also, when using for the Japanese for file names and folder names, please do so when Japanese is selected as the display language.

That was fast!

After reading that I am proud I got some of it kind of right! but I was pretty far off on the UMD Video part... :o

Well, now this thread wasn't so pointless after all... I finally have a translation of the 1.50 update features!
Thanks b8a :)

*EDIT*
Oops, I just noticed I missed out a language イタリア語 (itaria-go) -- Italian...
Maybe I didn't do so well! :o

uhoh_hotdogs
July 2nd, 2006, 22:59
Wow, this prevented me from possibly bricking my PSP.:) I have a version 2.60 PSP and was going to downgrade . . . but it looks like the PSP doesn't have WPA-PSK (AES) encryption support until at least version 2.5. (My wireless network is WPA-PSK (AES) encrypted)

Kaiser
July 2nd, 2006, 23:19
Wait this is just a copy and paste from Sony'a website?! This should have never of made it on the front page then.

Mat_Dizzy there is no justification for PSP piracy (as b8a pointed out). Your just making yourself look bad by arguing on that side of the spectrum.

BL4Z3D247
July 2nd, 2006, 23:29
Wait this is just a copy and paste from Sony'a website?! This should have never of made it on the front page then.

Mat_Dizzy there is no justification for PSP piracy (as b8a pointed out). Your just making yourself look bad by arguing on that side of the spectrum.
tell em Kaiser :D

mog
July 2nd, 2006, 23:37
To add to the list of fw 1.00 features, I found something on an old thread at PSP-Hacks forum.

Good things: allows to let you run homebrew easily.
bad things: the battery was drained quick by a 1.0 psp becuase the proccesor was on 333 mhz all the time.
Good things: also allows you to run homebrew using kxploit and the battery live was increased.
I never knew that before... but he doesn't seem to have any doubts to the oposite.
So that might be another difference between fw 1.00 and 1.50.

Still, I would have thought sony would have mentioned it in their 1.50 update features list so I'm not so sure. :confused:

***UPDATE***
Nope, this isn't true.

How do I know?
Because I just wasted the last 15 minutes making a little PSP program in C that just gets CPU clock frequency. :p

I used sceGetCpuClockFrequency() function to get current CPU frequency.

After switching on my 1.00 PSP and doing nothing else but running my program, it returns 222Mhz as my CPU clock frequency. :)

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 7th, 2006, 02:23

SECONDLY: This is a useless thread. All benh has done is copy and pasted this text from Sony's official website, so a link to those pages would've been much preferable to this long-arsed, word-for-word regurgitated information clogging of up the front page. Besides, PSP-News has a dedication to citing it's sources, and this post boldly violates that cardinal rule.

THIRDLY: to pepegomez: as this was just copy and pasted from Sony's website's info on the history of firmware update details, benh cannot add the info on 1.00 -- it was never an update. However, to answer your question, 1.00 was severally limited. From what I've read, it only came with Japanese and English as selectable system languages. The one and only major advantage to 1.00 (and you wouldn't find this on an official Sony list even if it was available) was it's ability to natively run unsigned code without any hacks or tricks. There was absolutely nothing preventing homemade code from being run on those systems, so it is the hands-down "purest" environment for PSP homebrew. As to why people are still on it: everyone's got their own reasons. Staying at 1.00 certainly has it's drawbacks since anything that can be run on 1.00 can be run on 1.50 (the reverse isn't always true however), but there's deffinately something special about knowing you have a 1.00 system. Currently, there aren't many people who can say that, even fewer still that can claim to have a factory virgin model.

You are a moron. Nuff' Said.

Kaiser
July 7th, 2006, 07:00
You are a moron. Nuff' Said

..and you have just been given a four point warning. ;)

enjoy

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 7th, 2006, 14:22
..and you have just been given a four point warning. ;)

enjoy

What for?

You don't think he could have gone about that better?
1. If anyone ever mentions ISO's, I respond with a friendly reminder of the rules... His was far from friendly.
2. He insinuated that they are 'morons', as did I about him, yet I'm getting warned?
3. At no point did I disagree with anything he said, In fact he's absolutely right in just about every regard. Just could have gone about things better. I probably could have too, but meh... He deserves to get shut down, might let him understand how it feels to talk to others like crap.

The reason I come here is because I believe everyone get's their say, and anyone needing somewhere to turn for guidance, has that help always their for them. No one deserves to be treated with blatant disrespect (Unless they've earned it). He was extremely rude to Benh, who was just trying to provide information for the rest of us. Seems this place isn't as fair and just as it seems at first.

Rant over. Enjoy...

Kaiser
July 7th, 2006, 15:07
What for?
You don't think he could have gone about that better?

Probably, but at least he was offering an argument.

1. If anyone ever mentions ISO's, I respond with a friendly reminder of the rules... His was far from friendly.

He was obviously trying to prove the negative impact of piracy and how futile it is to try and argue for it. He wasn't acting like one of those over-zealous members who simply leave a "go die pirate" comment.

2. He insinuated that they are 'morons', as did I about him, yet I'm getting warned?

He was offering an argument and despite it coming off a little harsh it was better then your cheap shot. You seriously believe your statement was called for?

3. At no point did I disagree with anything he said, In fact he's absolutely right in just about every regard. Just could have gone about things better. I probably could have too, but meh... He deserves to get shut down, might let him understand how it feels to talk to others like crap.

Shut Down?

Please, the only one who came off looking bad after that post was yourself. Your right in saying you never disagreed, but that has more to do with you leaving any opinion you may have behind in favour of insulting someone.

The reason I come here is because I believe everyone get's their say, and anyone needing somewhere to turn for guidance, has that help always their for them. No one deserves to be treated with blatant disrespect (Unless they've earned it). He was extremely rude to Benh, who was just trying to provide information for the rest of us. Seems this place isn't as fair and just as it seems at first.

Rant over. Enjoy...

Everyone is entitled to an opinon. He never acted harshly until someone brought piracy into this discussion.

Simply put, your cheap insult was not needed in this thread.

**1_Man_Matrix**
July 7th, 2006, 15:30
Probably, but at least he was offering an argument.

He was obviously trying to prove the negative impact of piracy and how futile it is to try and argue for it. He wasn't acting like one of those over-zealous members who simply leave a "go die pirate" comment.

He was offering an argument and despite it coming off a little harsh it was better then your cheap shot. You seriously believe your statement was called for?

Shut Down?

Please, the only one who came off looking bad after that post was yourself. Your right in saying you never disagreed, but that has more to do with you leaving any opinion you may have behind in favour of insulting someone.

Everyone is entitled to an opinon. He never acted harshly until someone brought piracy into this discussion.

Simply put, your cheap insult was not needed in this thread.

Enjoy your glorious victory ;)

b8a
July 7th, 2006, 15:33
You're right, I was harsh. Maybe needlessly so, but I can only put up with so many of these kids coming around here claiming to be instant experts before I start to loose it just a little bit. I don't know how old Benh is, but I think he's been milking his "coder" tag far too much, and this thread was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I don't have anything against him personally, he's probably a great guy (and from my exchanges, both public and private, with mat_dizzy, he sounds like he is too), and the original intent of my post was just to be constructive criticism.

This was front page news, and the very third post was pro ISO, and the very next post was the original poster, a venerated "coder" even, consenting that there may be some legitimate reason for ISO piracy.

Now, DCEMU's stance on piracy is well stated, clear, and everyone knows it, so how else do you describe someone who ignores all those clear signs? Not only that, but I did not call these guys in particular morons. I called people that believe there are legitimate reasons for pirating freely available commercial goods morons. Not much of a difference, granted, but there's still a significant difference there. Given the context, my usage of the word "moron" was far more justified than yours was. You admitted that:
In fact he's absolutely right in just about every regard. so I'm at a loss as to how that constitutes a moron. My usage may not have been PC, but it was at least meant with some good intent, while yours was just plain inexplicably vicious.

I know what it feels like to be talked to like cr*p, thank you very much. I don't need that lesson. On this very forum alone, there are far harsher people than me. I really couldn't care less how much people talk down to me. No self-confidant person does. In fact, if I made a tremendous blunder like this, I would expect someone to set me straight.

This is one of the best sites around, and that is thanks to our great community where everyone gets a say. Neither did I attempt to, nor did I take any steps to deny anyone that privlege. Fact is, if this wouldn't have been on the front page, even with the ISO talk, I wouldn't have even commented on it at all. There are simply a basic set of standards that the Staff have talked about having for front page newsposts, and this violated several of those. If that's all there was to it, I would've merely left a post urging Benh to cite his obvious source. But then I saw the pro-ISO posts and I lost it. On top of that, Benh, claiming to present us with a "definitive guide", failed to answer basic questions about 1.00. I admit my reaction was extreme, but it was a snowball of frustration. Whether Wraggster or any of the rest of the Staff actually hold the news posts to a higher standard then the rest of the forums, I guess I do, and when I can not only call BS on an entire news thread, but proove it on top of that, I think that's ample justification for getting indignant.

Besides, if you truly believe in everyone getting their fair say, then you're a hypocrite for criticising me. If you're worried about:
this place isn't as fair and just as it seems at first then please, take a look in the mirror. After Benh admitted that he had copied the info (after he had denied that twice, remember) I ultimately cooled down and helped to fill in the missing gap in his "deffinative guide". I would say that, when all was said and done, we all got our say and that we collectively provided
somewhere to turn for guidance

Forgive me if I lost it and went off on these guys. I don't see what your problem is, but all of the parties involved have made peace and moved on.

lebber
July 8th, 2006, 13:49
doubel lol

Fire_Mikael
July 26th, 2006, 18:57
doubel lol

hi all,

I reached this forum by chance, while I was searching for some infos about firmware 2.71 functions, and this discussion attracted my attention, so I decided to leave my first post to comment it...;)

ISO piracy hurts everyone, not just Sony

ISO piracy hurts JUST Sony (and you, as I can read). I feel free to say this only after making a consideration, thinking about why piracy starts and develops. We are living in a society based on consumerism, where everytime and everywhere publicity is showing you how poor and miserable you are if you don't own this or that...meanwhile, knowing the emotive impact of this form of propaganda, industry inflates prices to the extreme possible, as in the end your frustration will make you just glad to pay the impossible to be cool just like everyone else...and Sony is a well inserted part in this producer-consumer game...so who are really to blame, people who just try to live out in this kind of society, where your are espected to have even what u can't afford, or industries who play with your weaknesses to fatten up? this maybe deserves consideration...and don't just simplify the matter such as "if they can't resist, they deserve it" "they're just stupid guys who buy everything is addressed as cool", 'cause we all know it's not so simple...

Agreed. I can't afford these games at these prices, but if everyone paid for them (and if Sony were honorable, which I think we have reason to expect they would be), then the prices would fall. It's basic economics.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

do you really know economy? in a monopolistic situation (like this one, as Sony is not the only games producer, but games titles that Sony produces are not produced by any other, so there's no effective market competition for these specific titles) the producer can (and will) often produce a volume that is less than the amount which would maximize social welfare, and can (and will) sell it to the higher price he can propose without loosing too much clients, and as economy teaches us here we are really far from the so called "paretian optimal" situation...
and I will not say a single word on Sony "honorability"...just consider they're based on a capitalistic growth of their patrimony, and you'll get all the answers you need...as u said, "Sony does bring in millions each week"...;)

by the way, that post is just my personal opinion, I hope I'll not get hungry answers for just having stated it out...and I want to apologize for my bad english, that doesn't allow me to express as much as I would like to...

kando
August 4th, 2006, 17:42
ISO piracy hurts JUST Sony (and you, as I can read).

no, UMD ISO piracy hurts just sony. iso piracy as a whole hurts everyone....isos can be for PC, xbox, etc... ;)

LeperMessiah
August 4th, 2006, 18:18
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

do you really know economy?

Actually he's right. He does know enough about economy to know the basics of supply and demand in direct correlation with market equilibrium.

When the supply and the demand meet you have equilibrium and right now, (due to the high prices imposed on all digital media), supply is greater than the whole consumer demand.

Really he was quite right and if Sony would lower their prices then consumers would be more apt to buy them. And this can be looked at as simple economics or fundamentalist economics.

To be honest if you break it down into a micro strategy, I would have to say that the matching of supply/demand equilibrium could be ahieved as a result of marketing. If Maslow's hierarchy of needs is involved, (i.e' wants vs needs), then you're playing with marketing. And that is one of the factors that truly hurts the PSP.

There are in my own opinion only a handful of titles worth owning on the PSP and as of yet there has not been a "killer app" for the PSP, (think Super Mario, Halo or Sonic). If Sony were to achieve equilibrium then profits would rise and as a direct result producers would take notice at the growth in the industry specifially by Sony and the PSP's performance and therefore would be more apt to spend developmental manhours and money on more products for the PSP. You'd think Sony would realize this...but alas I digress. We are doomed to forever pay insane prices for our digital entertainment and any company who tries to create a "budget" system or game is ultimately doomed to be swallowed up in the market.

Hence the reason for piracy. Not that I am for or against piracy, but this is the reasoning behind it. An economically constricting market.

:D

wanka
August 7th, 2006, 22:40
ha ha you not safe

Kaiser
August 8th, 2006, 00:01
I smell bullshit Fire_Mikael. ;)

Behind this "big-worded" rant is a very flawed argument. Your justification for stealing is that they're making enough money already. Tough shit. Just because you may disagree to with a companies business practices gives you no right to steal what it is trying to sell. Your argument sounds more like an excuse from some self-righteous college hippy.

do you really know economy? in a monopolistic situation (like this one, as Sony is not the only games producer, but games titles that Sony produces are not produced by any other, so there's no effective market competition for these specific titles) the producer can (and will) often produce a volume that is less than the amount which would maximize social welfare, and can (and will) sell it to the higher price he can propose without loosing too much clients, and as economy teaches us here we are really far from the so called "paretian optimal" situation...
and I will not say a single word on Sony "honorability"...just consider they're based on a capitalistic growth of their patrimony, and you'll get all the answers you need...as u said, "Sony does bring in millions each week"...

Where the hell did you learn economics comrade? ;)

End of discussion. Our rules policy will not change and this thread should have been closed ages ago.