PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Emulator (Psxxx) for PSP Announced

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 16:32
Heres a wait till its released then we know announcement of a PSX(PSOne) Emulator for the PSP,

First a screenshot

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ffvii.jpg

Heres the info so far:

That is a screenshot(actually I just took a picture of my psp) of my Playstation 2 Psp project called "Psxxx", I recently started a new job which may prove to be too demanding for me to keep up with the homebrew scene; after making a few suggested improvements and cleaning up the code a bit; IM gonna turn it loose on world, and hopefully someone will develop a full featured emu.

I've been holding off on releasing a version of this and kind of keeping the development a secret because I wanted to wait until I had something worth showing anyone in the first place; Thanks go out to Zad3r for fixing many of my mistakes, and doing almost as much as I have for this project.

Theres two seperate zips, one regular and the other hard coded for FFVII isos(Three Seperate eboots).
the source for both will be included in the Zip they are tested and working for PSP firmware 1.5 only.

Features:
Optimized for Final Fantasy VII(USA)(3 disc)
(won't load "Greatest Hits" version)

* There is no audio support.
* Limited controls
* Many roms won't boot.
* Most other roms have serious graphics problems.
* Requires a Playstation Bios(not provided for legal reasons)

Like the new N64 Emulator "announced" yesterday its best to not get over excited at this point but fingers crossed its the start of a very Cool new PSOne Emulator for the PSP.

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 16:35
Yes i know the link to the site but until its confirmed ill keep stum just so its doesnt turn out a fake

Gizmo356
July 3rd, 2006, 16:36
holy shittakie mush room

cal360
July 3rd, 2006, 16:37
hope this is real if so these past two months would be the best months in psp history

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 16:40
ill be interested to see if its a ground up emu or a port of pcsx etc

Kvonx
July 3rd, 2006, 16:42
dis is 2 hard 2 believe.............................im not sure but if its true, homebrew beat sony..............AGAIN!!!!lol

wraggster
July 3rd, 2006, 16:45
if someone had the source to psemupro then that would be very interesting to port to PSP

Lumir
July 3rd, 2006, 16:47

I hope its real!!! xD

Moning2
July 3rd, 2006, 16:48
rofl, has to clean up the code, how fake :')

cal360
July 3rd, 2006, 16:50
if this is a ground up emulator it may take a lot longer to get to perfection but it should perform a lot better than a simple port

D0N
July 3rd, 2006, 16:51
Wow! This looks interesting!

T-2000
July 3rd, 2006, 16:54
ps1 emus never loaded "roms" they loaded Iso's which we cannot mention.. who wants a ps1 emu on psp anyways ? they ported and improved most titles..

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 16:55
hmmm

i will wait and see

would be nice though!

cal360
July 3rd, 2006, 16:57
ps1 emus never loaded "roms" they loaded Iso's which we cannot mention.. who wants a ps1 emu on psp anyways ? they ported and improved most titles..

they've ported very few titles and many of them aren't as fun as the originals, most of the time the improvements can wreck the game (and it would be great to play the full version of c&c red alert on the go)

borgamix
July 3rd, 2006, 16:59
just remembered something...
where do we put the isos so that this so called ps2 emulator runs the games...
a dvd is 4.7gb i think the maximum capacity for a psp is 4gb and it not with a memory stick

TCLCloud
July 3rd, 2006, 16:59
hope its real but it could just be a picture of a scene from FF7 viewed on a PSP couldnt it?

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 17:02
indeed, could be an image!

but im not sure to believe if this is fake!

cal360
July 3rd, 2006, 17:02
a dvd is 4.7gb i think the maximum capacity for a psp is 4gb and it not with a memory stick

Its not a ps2 emulator its a psx(ps1) emulator there is great difference in memory

Mustang
July 3rd, 2006, 17:03

It looks like this is a ps1 emu and they were only cds m8 :)

DPyro
July 3rd, 2006, 17:03
Hmm...wraggster could you please send me the link to that site. I'd like to investigate further. :)

dtothabreezy
July 3rd, 2006, 17:07
itresting i cant wait

eliteflyer
July 3rd, 2006, 17:09
Sweet! I can't wait to downgrade and get this!

Gizmo356
July 3rd, 2006, 17:13
(@ )( @)
cant wait for this

BrooksyX
July 3rd, 2006, 17:15
Looks cool and promising and all.
But i get tired of people posting stuff of what they say they are doing just to get some hype.
Thats why i respect StrmnNrnm, he made his project and when he felt he was ready he released it and let every one know about it.

Now that said, I still hope this is real.

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 17:23
well this may be just another hoax...

its so easy to create images like this!

now if i said i was making a sega saturn emulator for psp and provided u with this image i just made:

http://www.wikiradio.co.uk/matt/PHTO0080.JPG

you would all believe me!

im no way saying this isnt true, but before we all get our hopes up lets just wait and see for a beta download or something across the lines, or even a video!

aleborri
July 3rd, 2006, 17:31
I really hope this turns to be real O_O

mr_nick666
July 3rd, 2006, 17:37
ill be interested to see if its a ground up emu or a port of pcsx etc

ePSxe is what I still use to run my old games! :) I think it would be slow on the PSP if it was a port though.... :( Fingers crossed for the PSP purpose build! :D

I really hope this turns to be real O_O

Likewise... :o

If ZX-81 had started this it would've been done months ago! ;)

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.... :p

sroon
July 3rd, 2006, 17:39
Holy TITS!!!
this is awsome!!!

V3N0M
July 3rd, 2006, 17:39
Well if this is real will anyone be intrested in continuing where he left off?

borgamix
July 3rd, 2006, 18:07
It looks like this is a ps1 emu and they were only cds m8 :)

ok lets wait to see....

ssbm_04
July 3rd, 2006, 18:10
Keep our fingers crossed...
We'll just wait and see...

sappo
July 3rd, 2006, 18:23
It seems so fake and real at same time. The fact that only runs FF7 is a good thing. I only NEED that game. But with Sound :P

idapimp
July 3rd, 2006, 18:27
could it be possible to port ePSXe. then you could have different people who specialize in different things make plug-ins fine tuned for the PSP.

BrooksyX
July 3rd, 2006, 18:27
It seems so fake and real at same time. The fact that only runs FF7 is a good thing. I only NEED that game. But with Sound :P

actually, there are 2 emus. one is hardcoded for ff7 and one is a generic loader.

borgamix
July 3rd, 2006, 18:35
i dont like ps1 games that much but it would be cool to see the emulator

Lumir
July 3rd, 2006, 18:35
For the best result in a PS1 emu for the psp i suggest a coder congregation. Bring togather the talented coders, organize, and exicute coding.

I would suggest strmmrm, psmonkey, the guy who is ganna realise the new n64 emu, and this guy if his emu is real. Divide the work between the coders, switch up the area of work every now and then, and i bet we would see a ps1 emu out in no time, and possibly even a perfect n64 emu.

As i know this is a almost impossible feat but its well worth the though. To all the coders out there... you dont cease to amaze us all, and im willing to say even the sony devs.

benn
July 3rd, 2006, 18:40
two games i have dreamed of on my psp since the first time sony said 'playstation portable'
FF7
FFTactics
[bliss]

lplover2k
July 3rd, 2006, 19:00
will wait to see if it is real... there has been huge updates recently!!! very good month...world cup,holidays and tons of superb psp homebrew updates!!! :)

dtothabreezy
July 3rd, 2006, 19:08
i think this is the best month in psp history aside from the psp being realesed:D

gunntims0103
July 3rd, 2006, 19:22
wait this is a homebrew ps1 emu alsum and the news keeps rolling in folks this week has been great and full of hombrew news hope this really is true and is completed

news this past week

downgrader 2.5-2.6
new kernal mode news
ps1 emu(hombrew)

its alsum im lovin it

kersplatty
July 3rd, 2006, 19:25
so wot speed is this, if hes still cleanin the code up it musnt be full speed

StealthCP
July 3rd, 2006, 19:36
I can say that I have suspisions about this emulator. I don't want to, but take a look at the technical side. An ISO of a PS1 game is, take the guts of 400MB. Obviously this cannot be all loaded into ram at one time, seeing as there is only 24MB of actual user memory. Secondly, there needs to be room left for recompilation/interpretation of the game's code. N64 games are a lot smaller in size (SM64 is only 10MB) so they can easily be loaded into memory.

I really hope this is a work in progress, my entire street are terribly fond of the early PS1/late SNES FF games and they will all be out to buy PSPs if this emu goes anywhere. :D

Mr. Shizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 19:36
OMFG!!!! This has the potential to be one of the biggest milestones in PSP HomeBrew history.
Awesome work man!!!!

PS: HAHA SONY!!!:D

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 19:37
if this is real
my psp will be fused to my hands forever

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 19:43
i hope this is real also, but as my image kinda reveals it could be fake!

http://www.wikiradio.co.uk/matt/PHTO0080.JPG

RetroGoth
July 3rd, 2006, 19:54
I dont know sony is coming out with a ps1 emulator anyways. If they do I might upgrade just to play one of my favorite systems of all time. Especially for FF7. But if this is the real deal then how sweet it is.

Moning2
July 3rd, 2006, 20:05
ive made a ps1 emu too :cool:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/6756/030720063376dr.th.jpg (http://img195.imageshack.us/my.php?image=030720063376dr.jpg)

or is that ps2 :D

D0N
July 3rd, 2006, 20:11
I must admit this does look kinda fake. But if he releases something like an alpha version or something then im with him 100%.

emuking
July 3rd, 2006, 20:21
hope its real, this would be cool to have ps1 with with n64, hey how come no one thought that the official psone emulator would be on the ps3 since that will have firmware upgrades too, duh, i guess people care more if its portable or is it that no one realized it, also wii will play all n64 and nintendo consoles and sega genesis and turbografix consoles, did the homebrew people forget emus will be on next gen consoles now? whatever this is better because its homebrew i guess
GO HOMEBREW !!!

kersplatty
July 3rd, 2006, 20:25
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5390/dsc002172ko.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc002172ko.jpg)
look its my homebrew halo 3 with accelerated graphics by fusing two psp motherboards but once agin the crappy digi camera, oh well im not gonna release it yet tho...
sorry, i respect the coder and all but i just cudnt help myself:D

mat_dizzy
July 3rd, 2006, 20:27
LOL ooh i'd love to see that actually happen ;)

PSmonkey
July 3rd, 2006, 20:34
I can say that I have suspisions about this emulator. I don't want to, but take a look at the technical side. An ISO of a PS1 game is, take the guts of 400MB. Obviously this cannot be all loaded into ram at one time, seeing as there is only 24MB of actual user memory. Secondly, there needs to be room left for recompilation/interpretation of the game's code. N64 games are a lot smaller in size (SM64 is only 10MB) so they can easily be loaded into memory.

I really hope this is a work in progress, my entire street are terribly fond of the early PS1/late SNES FF games and they will all be out to buy PSPs if this emu goes anywhere. :D

You got the idea wrong. Since the Ps1 is Disc based, you dont have to load everything into ram. The data will be accessed from the ISO on request. Its exactly how ps1 emu work on any system. Ps1 also does not have a lot of ram.

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 20:39
i was waiting for someone to mention that.

(by the way, thanks for the pm monkey, i had a good one, make sure sniper doesnt hate me...haha)

mavsman4457
July 3rd, 2006, 20:44
We need competition in the PS1 emu development area! I sure hope this is real.

Shadowblind
July 3rd, 2006, 20:47
Like all other good Emulators for PSP, we need amother person working on 1 and trying to make a better emu.

mcvader
July 3rd, 2006, 21:18
It seems if he dosen't know the difference between a ISO and a ROM than this will most likely turn out to be a fake, but if it turns out to be real then this guy has my deepest respect. My PC with epsxe can barely play FFVII smoothly!

Kaiser
July 3rd, 2006, 22:09
Like all other good Emulators for PSP, we need amother person working on 1 and trying to make a better emu.

That would be Sony... ;)

mog
July 3rd, 2006, 22:24
You got the idea wrong. Since the Ps1 is Disc based, you dont have to load everything into ram. The data will be accessed from the ISO on request. Its exactly how ps1 emu work on any system. Ps1 also does not have a lot of ram.
Thought so...

Also I was just looking up the differences between PS1 and PSP:

PS1
CPU: 33.8688 MHz
Main RAM: 2 MB
Video RAM: 1 MB
Sound RAM: 512 kB
CD Speed: Originally 1X, later 2X -- maximum throughput = 300 kB/s

PSP
CPU: 333 MHz
Main RAM: 32 MB (8 MB reserved for kernel)
Video RAM: 2 MB

So I don't think it would be completely impossible for someone to make a prety decent emulator eventually. :)
Atleast Sony's one should work great.

Bear_XI
July 3rd, 2006, 23:45
What is the name of the creator?? cause if its Timboman,Zx-81 then it might be possible or even a unknown coder thats rocks?

borgamix
July 3rd, 2006, 23:59
Thought so...

Also I was just looking up the differences between PS1 and PSP:

PS1
CPU: 33.8688 MHz
Main RAM: 2 MB
Video RAM: 1 MB
Sound RAM: 512 kB
CD Speed: Originally 1X, later 2X -- maximum throughput = 300 kB/s

PSP
CPU: 333 MHz
Main RAM: 32 MB (8 MB reserved for kernel)
Video RAM: 2 MB

So I don't think it would be completely impossible for someone to make a prety decent emulator eventually. :)
Atleast Sony's one should work great.

ah sry i understand 0 of this but, if the ps1 cpu as 338688mhz its impossible for a psp to emulate it or is it 38,8688mhz

p.s - can some1 explain me what are frames per second (FPS)

wraggster
July 4th, 2006, 00:02
hmm Sega made a Genesis emu for the dreamcast but the homebrew scene made a better one ;)

pepegomez
July 4th, 2006, 00:20
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frames_per_second

for those who down know about fps

stotheamuel
July 4th, 2006, 00:34
borgamix... that's a decimal in English

and i have to say this is definatly fake..

i never trust images.. or people who release emulators and use the most popular game to sell it...

borgamix
July 4th, 2006, 00:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frames_per_second

for those who down know about fps

thx for the info
so + fps, + quicker software?

popcornx
July 4th, 2006, 00:39
well a ps emulator is possible...

but, is it real? or fake like that epslion 2.7 bios flasher

vettacossx
July 4th, 2006, 00:58
did that danm donkey make this??? lmao ;)....

well a ps emulator is possible...

but, is it real? or fake like that epslion 2.7 bios flasher

mog
July 4th, 2006, 01:31
borgamix... that's a decimal in English
Yep... PS1 CPU = 33 MHz.

I know many countries use a comma instead of a decimal point for separating whole numbers from fractions.
But what is this "comma" used in these countries called? "decimal comma"? :confused:

Lumir
July 4th, 2006, 01:43
If n64 is possible (and we know it is) then ps1 is as well. We just need a talented coder willing to spend time on the emu. Or cracking sony's.

Kloe
July 4th, 2006, 02:58
I dont know sony is coming out with a ps1 emulator anyways. If they do I might upgrade just to play one of my favorite systems of all time. Especially for FF7. But if this is the real deal then how sweet it is.

If sony is going to release an emulator on the PSP that pretty much says that it is definatly "possible" to have a full speed PS1 emulator on the PSP, we just need someone talented enough to do it! :D It will probably be awhile but i'll be patiently waiting, hopefully not too long though. lol

_kD
July 4th, 2006, 03:01
Sorry for such a noob question (maybe). But will you have to buy the PS1 Emulator or just download it and put it on your PSP? and what about the games, will you have to buy them?

dtothabreezy
July 4th, 2006, 04:35
ps1 runs at 33mhz then the psp has ten times the power of it maybe thats rong but if the psp gots 10x the power of it then a ps1 emu is definetaly possible

PSmonkey
July 4th, 2006, 05:22
just small FYI.

few more things that make ps1 emulation on psp a breeze,

1) The Ps1 is a R3000 based mips processor
2) The ps1 has no floating point
3) The ps1 is purely 32bit.

2 & 3 are great because thoes are making small bottlenecks in n64 emulation. Actualy its not the floating point but more double floats (64bit floats). As again the psp is purly 32bits (including only single floats / 32bit floats).

jman420
July 4th, 2006, 05:25
its either the splash scene or a frame capture of FF7 that was turned into a 480x272 Jpeg that was then just viewed on psp, or its possible that an emulator was made for 1 game, but not likely...

dtothabreezy
July 4th, 2006, 05:29
hello psmonkey haven seen you for awhile thought you was dead:D so do you think the homebrew scene will make a ps emu up to par or better than sony can ?

emuking
July 4th, 2006, 06:41
you thought psmonkey was dead lol that it is so messed up hahahahahahaha !!! but seriously psmonkey let me test your next build please, sorry for being a dick and pointing out another comment:)

Boydy
July 4th, 2006, 07:07
were can i download this psxxx

mr_nick666
July 4th, 2006, 08:55
were can i download this psxxx

Wraggy isnt releasing the link until he knows its not just a fake :eek:

D0N
July 4th, 2006, 08:56
I hope it is real! Then it will be a fantastic day for psp users.

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 09:06
Impossible, using unofficial SDK will not work

r00t
July 4th, 2006, 11:12
I'm waiting for the day I can play FF7 on my PSP. I can't wait :D

mameuser
July 4th, 2006, 11:14
I'm waiting for the day I can play FF7 on my PSP. I can't wait :D

around november when Sony release the Official PSone emulator

SmashinGit
July 4th, 2006, 11:20
Like everyone else i'm hoping its true but i've seen a lot of fakes in the past, but hey fingers crossed.

dtothabreezy
July 4th, 2006, 16:05
didnt really think he was dead i was spoffing his thread in his forum:D

Briggzy11
July 4th, 2006, 16:17
If this person releases the code to the emulator has he says (I think) I will give this a go and sort it out for other games just like he has for Final Fantasy 7

k1nn34r
July 4th, 2006, 21:54
it would be a great moment if for once sony was beaten by homebrewers
i remember when microsoft was beaten by homebrewers with the game freelancer which i have now started modding.

keep up the good work:)

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 21:56
letys hope for the ps emulator

ACID
July 5th, 2006, 03:09
PS1 wonderfull dream. But i refuse to upgrade.

July 5th, 2006, 03:56
This is sweet I can't wait for this too come out. But there is hardly any place to get the games. I know that you can get them on torrents. Still each game will be like 700 MB.

bernardc
July 6th, 2006, 19:51
When you will upload the emulator?
I can't wait!
I really want to play FF7 on PSP!!!

Uruz 6
July 6th, 2006, 20:24
I hope it's true. I really liked FF7and being able to play it on the go.. I can't wait.

Accordion
July 6th, 2006, 20:44
the cloud of doubt grows larger each day

then our eyes shall rain!

hmmm?

RemixUnlimited
July 7th, 2006, 05:58
This is fake, get over it fan boys.

mameuser
July 7th, 2006, 06:20
can someone closed this thread..........

benn
July 7th, 2006, 10:35
agree, this is bogus but in response to 123

But there is hardly any place to get the games.
you can rip them from your original CDs. you are legally allowed to make a back up copy of the game.

I know that you can get them on torrents.
or you can download them via torrents. this is illegal if you do not own the original games. if you do go this route you should be fully aware that it does constitute as software piracy. also dont discuss warez on these boards.

Still each game will be like 700 MB.
actually FF7 is a heck of a lot bigger.
many of the games are under 700 though.
and if this was real, then it would not take long before other coders were releasing programs to shrink the iso. look at current psp hax scene and dev hooks have produced cso files that are up to 50% smaller than the original iso. something similar would mean ps1 games at 350MB (based on your above size). that means you could fit approx 5 to a 2GB stick.
to be honest, even if i could only fit one on a 2GB stcik i would still download and play the emulator to death.
i am screaming out for FF7 FF8 and FFTactics on my PSP.:D

Uruz 6
July 7th, 2006, 13:53
I wonder how sony plans to make the psx emu? will they put it in the next firmwares and let people download the games?

pmt
July 9th, 2006, 16:23
For those of us who don't feel like waiting until the OP decides whether this is a fake or not, the site in question is http://psp-playstation-emulator.blogspot.com/

nyrtrublue
July 9th, 2006, 18:25
does anyone know if pacmanfan abandoned his emulator i went to his sight and i couldnt tell if it was updated recently or not http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/PSPSOne.html

Yasir Said
July 9th, 2006, 18:45
as much as i support/respect the developer's wishes to continue with the project...i think it would serve everyones' time and interest more wisely to wait for sony to make their own emulator and set the focus to that :)

r2works
July 10th, 2006, 06:37
as much as i support/respect the developer's wishes to continue with the project...i think it would serve everyones' time and interest more wisely to wait for sony to make their own emulator and set the focus to that :)

im guessing any1 trying to work off of sony's emu will get f*&$ked with, and any site supporting it will also get f#&$ked with. look at all the emu for the PC that sony went after...

sounds like the best bet for full speed emu though ;)

bernardc
July 12th, 2006, 15:38
Did this emulator will run JAP iso's?